The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I ordered new sheets from Kohl's and they arrived yesterday. I got a great deal on them. I had a code for 30% off, free shipping and $20 in Kohl's cash to use. Last night was all about laundry. I washed the sheets from the bed, washed the new ones and put them on the bed and then washed the comforter and put it back on. Two new pillowcases means two more pillows on the bed. We are now up to 7. 

These are the sheets I got. When I first opened the package, I wasn't impressed but I washed them, dried them and put them on the bed. They are velvety soft. I needed a crane to get my butt out of bed this morning. 

I have them in chestnut. They look just like the picture. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2037324/micro-flannel-deep-pocket-sheets.jsp?color=Ivory

With my codes and Kohl's cash, I got them for $56 shipped. 
Between yesterday and today, I got all my pillows!! They all came in! I am leaving the memory foam one open, so that they air out a bit. 

I went out and bought some new pillow protectors also. I have those in the wash now. 

I feel as if I have purchased a present for myself!! I am going to throw out all my old pillows, except for one, and use/display all the new ones on my bed!!! 

I guess I am a pillow freak!! But I have had the hardest time finding good pillows....now I have them!! I can alternate between the Columbia (love the one I have) and the Memory Foam ones...depending on how I feel that night/day...

Such a gift!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay for lots of pillows!  I like pillows.  LOL

My jaw is still pretty sore.  It didn't help when Connor decided to step on it while coming for cuddles.  Haha

I would definitely go with a "thinking of you" card.

John got hired at the factory!  He starts training Monday.  He'll be making a lot more money and the extra money will be definitely be helpful.  We've barely been keeping our heads above water lately.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, phooey.  I missed two days again.  Unpacking is as wearing as packing.  I'm making a list of the odds and ends that I need to get the new apartment turned into an actual home.  Thanks to @artiesmom I've just added new pillows to the list.

OH, my friend Suzanne knows of a place in the next town over, only about 20 miles, who will actually give me the few pieces of furniture I need to get this place really functional.  I need a chest of drawers, a new love seat and chair, a recliner, a day bed or twin bed, and end tables.  I had to throw the big wingback I used to LIVE in away.  The springs were broken, it was stuffed with pillows and old sheets and such, and was eating my hip alive.  Since I sleep sitting up during peak allergy season, a recliner to replace it would be really good.

I'll make my drapes out of twin sized sheets, and just buy crushed voile sheers to go under for extra privacy (and with the blinds, even that is just for looks and the cozy factor).  I have a beautiful new stove, with a TIMER!  It's self-cleaning, I've never had a self-cleaning oven before. 

I unpacked all of day before yesterday, and slept in my chair most of yesterday.  But I only have two more boxes to do until I can get bookcases and the new furniture.  I should be here now (she said hopefully)...

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, phooey.  I missed two days again.  Unpacking is as wearing as packing.  I'm making a list of the odds and ends that I need to get the new apartment turned into an actual home.  Thanks to @artiesmom I've just added new pillows to the list.

OH, my friend Suzanne knows of a place in the next town over, only about 20 miles, who will actually give me the few pieces of furniture I need to get this place really functional.  I need a chest of drawers, a new love seat and chair, a recliner, a day bed or twin bed, and end tables.  I had to throw the big wingback I used to LIVE in away.  The springs were broken, it was stuffed with pillows and old sheets and such, and was eating my hip alive.  Since I sleep sitting up during peak allergy season, a recliner to replace it would be really good.

I'll make my drapes out of twin sized sheets, and just buy crushed voile sheers to go under for extra privacy (and with the blinds, even that is just for looks and the cozy factor).  I have a beautiful new stove, with a TIMER!  It's self-cleaning, I've never had a self-cleaning oven before. 

I unpacked all of day before yesterday, and slept in my chair most of yesterday.  But I only have two more boxes to do until I can get bookcases and the new furniture.  I should be here now (she said hopefully)...
Please read up on the fumes that can be harmful to pets and humans during the self cleaning cycle.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a simple "thinking of you" card today. I'll put it in the mail on Monday.

As predicted, Lery is super tired now
He's under the blanket on bed right now. He just missed his usual 7:30 snack but I'm not worried. The hospital is having a free microchip with a full exam special this month so I got Leroy chipped. Emma already had a chip when I adopted her. Leroy gained a pound which is good because at the check up last year he had lost a pound. 10 lbs is his healthy weight. When the vet was talking about the microchip, Leroy gave him this really weird bug eyed look with flattened ears
The vet cracked up and had to take a picture of Leroy
I wouldn't be surprised if Leroy's picture somehow ends up in the slideshow of pet pictures and general hospital info that plays on the huge tv screen in the lobby. Emma also got blood drawn for her upcoming dental.

My mortgage refinance got approved
Just sent out emails to get the necessary certificate stuff I need for the closing. I have to call my insurance company on Monday to get a certificate with them with updated lender info. And I need to call the bank and make sure the rate is locked until closing and when the closing date is.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving is always such a pain in the butt.  I hate it.  We're going to have to look for a bigger place soon and I really dread the moving process.  I would almost prefer to keep living in a cramped, too small apartment than move!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Moving is always such a pain in the butt.  I hate it.  We're going to have to look for a bigger place soon and I really dread the moving process.  I would almost prefer to keep living in a cramped, too small apartment than move!
I decided a long time ago that moving is one of the world's great evils.

When we moved back to Denver from our year in Oregon, my parents were there to help.  I loved my father dearly, but he managed to make the move a nightmare.  We had a filing cabinet full of all sorts of things, and my father said "Do you have a key for this?" just after pushing in the lock on it -- our first stop in Denver was at a locksmith to get a key made for it (long lost now, but we had to have it made in order to get the filing cabinet open).  My mother and I were being very organized with our packing, putting things in boxes in an orderly way, writing on the outside of the boxes exactly what was in them.  And my dad was loading the boxes into the truck, a project which goes much more quickly than packing the boxes.  So he ran out of boxes to load, came in to the room where we were packing boxes, and just began shoving things into boxes willy nilly so he could load them into the truck.  There are still things that I've never found, because my dad "packed" them.

When we finally bought our house in Denver, we got a house that we would be comfortable spending the rest of our lives in, because we didn't want to move, ever again.  That was 28 years ago, and we've never regretted that decision.

All of which is my way of saying, "I have deep sympathy.  I hope the move goes well for you."

Last night after choir practice I got in my car to drive home and a cat jumped onto the hood of my car, a sweet little tabby short hair.  I opened the window to greet her, and she walked into the car, seemed quite prepared to leave with me!  It was obvious that she was someone's pet (despite the lack of a collar) because she was so very friendly, and clearly wasn't starving, so I had no intention of driving off with her.  Therefore I insisted that she get out, which she did, but she didn't leave and I was afraid to drive anywhere because I couldn't see her in my mirrors or in front of the car, didn't know but what she was right behind a wheel, so I turned the car off, got out, picked her up ("Purr, purr" said she), and headed to the apartment directly behind the church.  I knocked on the door and asked if this was their cat and the man said that she wasn't and told me which apartment she belonged in, but his directions were less than clear.  I finally ended up dropping her off on the sidewalk and hurrying back to the car, making sure she didn't follow, and then going home.

I really hope she's been spayed, but given that they aren't keeping her inside and haven't given her a collar or tags I have my doubts.

Margret

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow will be one week with Jerry Garcia.  Time flies.  I swear he is longer than when he arrived.  He is up to 2 cans of kitten food a day plus dry down all the time.  He has a bowl of water and a water fountain in his room - he uses both.  He likes to chase balls around and wonders about the paws that occasionally find their way under his door.  Fluffy and Eclipse have been  very low key about the foster kitten, with the exception of the small gift I find on the floor every morning.  They are letting me in and out of the room without much trouble or trying to charge the door.  Someone discovered the wall at the back of my closet is just on the other side of the kittens room and was trying to find a way through it.  Fluffy even came and led me up to the kitten one afternoon when he was awake and looking for company. 

Sunday and Monday are supposed to be in the mid-nineties.  We have no AC and the kitten room does not get much of a breeze.  Jerry may be spending some time in my bedroom - if I can get mine out of it.  Once with Jenny I brought her in my room so she could get used to the sound of the shower running.  Imagine my surprise when Eclipse showed himself.  There are so many hiding places in my room.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

One would think I'd be accustomed by now.  When I was married, I moved 26 times in 25 years, following spouse jobs.  No, the jobs didn't change that often, but the assigments did. 

If I have to move again, I may just pile everything but my cat and my clothes in the front yard and throw a match  on the whole shootin' shebang.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH TEH GUILTIES OF IT ALL!  I have finally found a cat food that Hekitty loves.  It is, of course, kibbles.  Still no luck with the wet food.  But...would you believe that the food she adores is Purina One, Indoor Formula?  I know, I know, there are far better cat foods out there, but if they don't get from the dish to the tummy, no matter how good they are, they aren't any good, if you see what I mean.  I am consoling myself with the fact that for years, Purina was the best food on the market for cats, and millions of kitties lived long, happy, and healthy lives eating it, AND with the fact that for the first time in over two years, I'm not being bugged every hour on the hour for treats.  I think, on the whole, it balances out.  Until I stumbled on the Purina One (which, this month, was the best I could afford...moving is expensive), she was almost living on darned Temptations, which was NOT a good thing.  Poor baby looks like a furry soccer ball.  Maybe now I can get her back to a more healthy weight.  I'm going to bed.  More boxes to unpack tomorrow.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OH TEH GUILTIES OF IT ALL!  I have finally found a cat food that Hekitty loves.  It is, of course, kibbles.  Still no luck with the wet food.  But...would you believe that the food she adores is Purina One, Indoor Formula?  I know, I know, there are far better cat foods out there, but if they don't get from the dish to the tummy, no matter how good they are, they aren't any good, if you see what I mean.  I am consoling myself with the fact that for years, Purina was the best food on the market for cats, and millions of kitties lived long, happy, and healthy lives eating it, AND with the fact that for the first time in over two years, I'm not being bugged every hour on the hour for treats.  I think, on the whole, it balances out.  Until I stumbled on the Purina One (which, this month, was the best I could afford...moving is expensive), she was almost living on darned Temptations, which was NOT a good thing.  Poor baby looks like a furry soccer ball.  Maybe now I can get her back to a more healthy weight.  I'm going to bed.  More boxes to unpack tomorrow.
Connor and Murphy are eating Purina One kitten formula.  They love it.  And I give them soft food a couple times a day.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The important thing is that she will eat it. And she can live a long life on it. I had a cat that lived to be nearly 20 years old, and she ate Meow Mix her whole life.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about to be really bad.  I had a heck of a time sleeping last night.  I only got maybe 4 hours.  I'm about to hit the button on the power strip to crash out the computer and call work saying I heard a loud pop outside and my internet went out and won't come back on.  I'm just so tired I can barely see straight.  Insomnia is a huge pain in the butt - especially when you're prone to migraines and they're commonly triggered by lack of sleep.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I'm about to be really bad.  I had a heck of a time sleeping last night.  I only got maybe 4 hours.  I'm about to hit the button on the power strip to crash out the computer and call work saying I heard a loud pop outside and my internet went out and won't come back on.  I'm just so tired I can barely see straight.  Insomnia is a huge pain in the butt - especially when you're prone to migraines and they're commonly triggered by lack of sleep.
I won't tell a soul.  Honestly, if you are that tired, you're no good to them anyway.  You'll get some rest and make it up.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I won't tell a soul.  Honestly, if you are that tired, you're no good to them anyway.  You'll get some rest and make it up.
Haha, thanks.  I'm going to work Friday to make up for yesterday.  I got some sleep and then I wrote my paper, which went much better than it would have if I had done it on so little sleep.  I would have gotten an A either way, but it wouldn't have been up to MY standards.  I'm harder on myself than anyone else.

Aislyn and I are hanging out.  She woke up before 6 am for some reason.  I swear, kids siphorn energy off of adults, but she's so adorable, I don't mind.  John is in the shower getting ready for his first day of orientation.  He got the factory job!!!  Which means a lot more money for us which means I'll finally be able to file for divorce (I've been wanting one for nearly 4 years but I haven't had the money to file and he won't do it for some reason), and we'll be able to get a bigger apartment so Aislyn can have her own room.  And John will propose and of course I'll say yes.  He keeps saying "You need to hurry up and get divorced so I can put a ring on your finger" which is just a hair away from a proposal.  And then we can have a pretty, simple wedding and have the baby we've been talking about having.

And I'm scared to death.  Every time things start going really well for me, my whole world crashes and burns.  I'm praying like crazy that won't happen this time.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Haha, thanks.  I'm going to work Friday to make up for yesterday.  I got some sleep and then I wrote my paper, which went much better than it would have if I had done it on so little sleep.  I would have gotten an A either way, but it wouldn't have been up to MY standards.  I'm harder on myself than anyone else.

Aislyn and I are hanging out.  She woke up before 6 am for some reason.  I swear, kids siphorn energy off of adults, but she's so adorable, I don't mind.  John is in the shower getting ready for his first day of orientation.  He got the factory job!!!  Which means a lot more money for us which means I'll finally be able to file for divorce (I've been wanting one for nearly 4 years but I haven't had the money to file and he won't do it for some reason), and we'll be able to get a bigger apartment so Aislyn can have her own room.  And John will propose and of course I'll say yes.  He keeps saying "You need to hurry up and get divorced so I can put a ring on your finger" which is just a hair away from a proposal.  And then we can have a pretty, simple wedding and have the baby we've been talking about having.

And I'm scared to death.  Every time things start going really well for me, my whole world crashes and burns.  I'm praying like crazy that won't happen this time.
Refusing to file for divorce is most always a passive-aggressive means of control.   Don't be too surprised if he throws a few roadblocks up when you do file.  He may not, but it  happens a lot.  Saying little blessing-prayers that things go very well for you and yours!

Still getting settled into the new apartment, although it does feel like home now.  I've found my favorite spot...my little back porch.  It is shady all morning, which will be lovely for the warm months.  I've learned to filter out the roof lines of the houses whose properties back up to ours.  The privacy fencing makes it easy, and there are big pine, elm and oak trees growing along the fence line, on the other side of the creek (well...it's more of a ditch, but I think of it as a creek).  Purple flowers grow right at the edge of the drop down to the creek, where the mowers can't reach, and there are butterflies and dragonflies dancing around all day.  I end up spending a couple of hours out there, just sitting and looking at the leaves against the sky.  I'M NOT IN PRISON ANY MORE!  I can go out my door whenever I want!  No more exhausting myself lugging that walker up and down stairs!  Or perching on cement stairs, then struggling to get up again, for that matter.

A couple of days ago, I saw a little gray tabby peek in the back door, and thought, "Oh, God, please not a stray!  I'll have to feed it, and Hekitty will have a fit!".  I didn't see it after that, but today I saw him trotting along the fence line.  I spoke to him, and he stopped in a patch of sunshine to look at me.  He's well-fed, and his coat is shiny and thick, so he isn't stray after all, just out making his rounds.

Isn't it funny how we assign sexes to cats seen at too much of a distance for us to know?  I mean, a ginger is going to be male over half the time, and a tortie or calico is nealy ALWAYS female, but we think of certain cats as certain sexes.  Somehow, to me, a tabby is a "he."  Maybe because they look like they are wearing pinstriped suits!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy you found an apartment that you really like. It sounds like it's perfect for you, getting to enjoy the outdoors without struggling to get there. Lie back and enjoy!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Refusing to file for divorce is most always a passive-aggressive means of control.   Don't be too surprised if he throws a few roadblocks up when you do file.  He may not, but it  happens a lot.  Saying little blessing-prayers that things go very well for you and yours!

Still getting settled into the new apartment, although it does feel like home now.  I've found my favorite spot...my little back porch.  It is shady all morning, which will be lovely for the warm months.  I've learned to filter out the roof lines of the houses whose properties back up to ours.  The privacy fencing makes it easy, and there are big pine, elm and oak trees growing along the fence line, on the other side of the creek (well...it's more of a ditch, but I think of it as a creek).  Purple flowers grow right at the edge of the drop down to the creek, where the mowers can't reach, and there are butterflies and dragonflies dancing around all day.  I end up spending a couple of hours out there, just sitting and looking at the leaves against the sky.  I'M NOT IN PRISON ANY MORE!  I can go out my door whenever I want!  No more exhausting myself lugging that walker up and down stairs!  Or perching on cement stairs, then struggling to get up again, for that matter.

A couple of days ago, I saw a little gray tabby peek in the back door, and thought, "Oh, God, please not a stray!  I'll have to feed it, and Hekitty will have a fit!".  I didn't see it after that, but today I saw him trotting along the fence line.  I spoke to him, and he stopped in a patch of sunshine to look at me.  He's well-fed, and his coat is shiny and thick, so he isn't stray after all, just out making his rounds.

Isn't it funny how we assign sexes to cats seen at too much of a distance for us to know?  I mean, a ginger is going to be male over half the time, and a tortie or calico is nealy ALWAYS female, but we think of certain cats as certain sexes.  Somehow, to me, a tabby is a "he."  Maybe because they look like they are wearing pinstriped suits!
I'm so happy for you!   Is Hekitty allowed on the porch?  He's going to miss you now that you will be out and about.

In the foster kitten's world life is not so wonderful.  It was in the mid-nineties yesterday and will be today and tomorrow as well.  His room was up to 87 yesterday.  Kim and I went on a search to find a pet play yard.  I saw them everywhere 3 months ago but we only found one (finally) and it was so much more than I wanted to spend.  It's octogon shaped and 46".  Big enough for a cube, small litter box (used by Fluffy)  with a little floor space left over. So he hung out in it yesterday in a cooler part of the house.  Fluffy was fairly nice and sniffed at him, Eclipse was nice at first then hissed a few times.  The heat makes him grumpy.  DS took him outside for a while to distract him.  He just wanted to sit in the cool grass.  I don't blame him.    Poor Jerry did not want to be contained.  He wanted to explore so we had him out for a few minutes while the big cats were outside.  He finally settled down and slept.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is the first cool day of fall that we've had. My kitties have finally gotten well from their URIs and are invigorated by the cooler temperatures. The leaves on the young elm in the front of the house are beginning to turn yellow, the first color of the season. Mingo was sick for three weeks, and he was terribly sick. He slept all the time, just getting up to eat and potty. Lily recovered much faster; she only had watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing and coughing. She was never as sick as Mingo was. They are now chasing each other around the house.

One thing I hate about fall - field mice come into the house looking for winter homes. They don't know Mingo is there, eagerly waiting for them. Last week I found some mouse guts in the living room, and this weekend, the room with my computer smelled like dead mouse. I've gotten to the point where I can smell them myself, dead or alive. The awful smell disappeared from the computer room, and this morning it seemed like it was near my couch. Since Mingo was peering underneath the couch, I got the yardstick out to see if I could scare out the mouse. Instead, I got one toy and a dead mouse. It was gross. Mingo was very disappointed when I scooped it up and put it in the garbage.

It will be December before we see the last of the mice.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It probably is.  He cheated on me and we haven't spoken let alone been in the same room for at least 3 years.  You would think he would want to file and get it over with.  Oh well.  I'll get it done and he'll be out of my life forever.

I'm glad you have such a nice apartment.  It sounds very relaxing.

And I'm sick.  Aislyn and I had a nice morning then we laid down to take a nap and I woke up and had to run to the bathroom to vomit.  Came out of nowhere.  And now I feel miserable and can't hold anything down.

Status
Not open for further replies.