The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, the disability was denied, but my lawyer's assistant said that well over half of the ones that are eventually approved get denied on the first hearing.  
 This is very true. I used to work for a couple of charities, and all our clients said they were turned down the first time. You just have to keep applying, over and over.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, the disability was denied, but my lawyer's assistant said that well over half of the ones that are eventually approved get denied on the first hearing.  AND I'm developing TMJ, so that puts a damper on working in a call center, which the original judge seemed fixated on.  I keep locking up and not being able to move my mouth.  This, Hekitty says, can only be a good thing.

Most of the boxes are unpacked now.  There are several boxes of books which I will keep in boxes until I can buy matching bookcases (WalMart, those tall ones for 20-some odd bucks each) for them,  And my two boxes of odds and ends that go in the llving room.  Leaving those packed.  Next month, a friend is taking me to Second Blessings, a wonderful place that will give me the furniture that I am missing.  I need a daybed or a twin bed for my second bedroom, a love seat and a recliner,  I really don't like recliners that much, but there are nights when my breathing is bad that I really need to sleep in a semi-sitting position.  Mostly in the high allergy seasons of spring and fall.  OH... and a real chest of drawers instead of that plastic thing I have now. 

Once that is done, and I know what colors will be in my living room, I can start making new curtains.  WHOO HOO!
Keep working on the disability claim.  It took my uncle years to get disability.  Over a decade ago, he fell off a roof (he used to do a lot of carpentry and house building work) and hurt his back really bad and could hardly walk.  He was denied so he kept working even though he was in ridiculous amounts of pain.  Then around 7 or 8 years ago, he stepped on a nail and it got infected.  The doctor he saw was an idiot and by the time it was all said and done, half of his foot was amputated.  Still couldn't get disability.  Then, around 4 years ago, he was driving his tractor down one of the country roads, and hit a very large rock and was thrown from the tractor under a combine.  He ended up losing his leg - amputated above the knee.  He finally got disability.  He just had to lose enough body parts first.

What really frustrates me is all the people who get disability who really don't need it.  I know a woman who is on disability because she has "headaches."  It doesn't stop her from doing drugs and running all over town causing trouble.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Chula is home from her dental and is completely stoned out of her mind.  She's being super affectionate and dropping into the "roll of joy" whenever she sees me.  Then she walks on her back which is hilarious- she looks like a big fuzzy crab.  
  Now I've just discovered her trying to go swimming in her fountain.  There is a huge puddle of water on the kitchen floor and she is totally drenched.  But she's having such a good time!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Chula is home from her dental and is completely stoned out of her mind.  She's being super affectionate and dropping into the "roll of joy" whenever she sees me.  Then she walks on her back which is hilarious- she looks like a big fuzzy crab.  
  Now I've just discovered her trying to go swimming in her fountain.  There is a huge puddle of water on the kitchen floor and she is totally drenched.  But she's having such a good time!
Lucky cat.  I have never understood why the dentist doesn't put me to sleep whenever I have to go.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, the disability was denied, but my lawyer's assistant said that well over half of the ones that are eventually approved get denied on the first hearing.  AND I'm developing TMJ, so that puts a damper on working in a call center, which the original judge seemed fixated on.  I keep locking up and not being able to move my mouth.  This, Hekitty says, can only be a good thing.

Most of the boxes are unpacked now.  There are several boxes of books which I will keep in boxes until I can buy matching bookcases (WalMart, those tall ones for 20-some odd bucks each) for them,  And my two boxes of odds and ends that go in the llving room.  Leaving those packed.  Next month, a friend is taking me to Second Blessings, a wonderful place that will give me the furniture that I am missing.  I need a daybed or a twin bed for my second bedroom, a love seat and a recliner,  I really don't like recliners that much, but there are nights when my breathing is bad that I really need to sleep in a semi-sitting position.  Mostly in the high allergy seasons of spring and fall.  OH... and a real chest of drawers instead of that plastic thing I have now. 

Once that is done, and I know what colors will be in my living room, I can start making new curtains.  WHOO HOO!
My Grandma had a whole binder completely filled with all of the appeals and everything she went through to get her disability. The back and forth reads like a suspense novel. It was all very interesting. Hopefully, you'll get it a lot faster than she did!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Turning the electricity off is easy, too.  Just flick the breaker.

LOL I was raised to handle things myself because you can never depend on anyone else.
I learned a lot of things after I was divorced because I did not have the money to pay someone else. My ex was not the handy kind of person either so a lot of things either did not get done or were mickey-moused until the next time.  My oldest son had a knack for figuring out things at a very young age and eventually taught ME stuff when he was a teenager.  Since then I have acquired an old encyclopedia on handyman work and since a lot of things don't ever change it has helped me a lot. I too know how to change a tire, check the oil and other fluids in my car and top them off when needed, I used to do tune-ups as my son had taught me how but I don't do that anymore as I can afford to pay someone else now getting too old for that also. But my knowledge keeps me from getting cheated. I know old ladies whose spouse has passed and they don't know how to balance a checkbook because their souse always did it. They look at me in awe because I can do just about everything. There are things I don't LIKE to do (plumbing) and those that SCARE me (electricity) but I will do them anyway. Only things that have become too heavy for me or that I'd rather leaver to the experts will I pay for.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG someone just donated $100,000 dollars to the American Kratom Association!!! That is BIG! They need to raise at LEAST $400,000 to fight this ban. OMG I am so SHOCKED!!! Hopefully we can beat this or at least age restrict it and let adults decide for themselves how they choose to take herbs.
I thought Anne said not to put this on this thread but on one that talks about herbs and pot and stuff like that??? I looked up Kratom and I don't like what I saw. Just because something is "ancient Chinese medicine" does not mean it works or that it is safe. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

OMG someone just donated $100,000 dollars to the American Kratom Association!!! That is BIG! They need to raise at LEAST $400,000 to fight this ban. OMG I am so SHOCKED!!! Hopefully we can beat this or at least age restrict it and let adults decide for themselves how they choose to take herbs.
I thought Anne said not to put this on this thread but on one that talks about herbs and pot and stuff like that??? I looked up Kratom and I don't like what I saw. Just because something is "ancient Chinese medicine" does not mean it works or that it is safe. 
 Yes, @foxycat, you have a thread on this topic in IMO.   Could you please stay with that thread for this discussion?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ok. I was answering A QUESTION! Good grief. Hey guys Its been fun. I think it's time to find another cat area to play in. Have fun.
No, she was not just answering a question (about if she had managed to go to D.C.), but she went on and on about this herb over several more posts. Now she has her nose out of joint. Touchy-touchy. She can voice her opinion on the other thread which I don't read. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG so I made it through most of the summer without getting ants, but all of a sudden they've invaded.  They're between the bed and the wall.  I got down and checked to see if something sweet had fallen down there to attract them, but I couldn't see anything.  I've had some Terro since the beginning of summer because I know how well it works and I wanted to be prepared in case they did show up so I shut the cats out of the bedroom and put one of the baits out.  It doesn't kill them right away - it gives them enough time to carry it back to their nests and kill their queen so the whole colony is destroyed.  If they aren't all gone by tonight, I'll just keep the boys shut out of the bedroom until tomorrow but I've never seen it take more than a few hours to eradicate all the ants.

I might be slightly crazy, but when I was a kid and my mom or grandma put Terro out, I used to love watching all the ants gather around it.  It was like a party.

I'm pretty sure I'm crazy.  It's ok.  All the best people are.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG so I made it through most of the summer without getting ants, but all of a sudden they've invaded.  They're between the bed and the wall.  I got down and checked to see if something sweet had fallen down there to attract them, but I couldn't see anything.  I've had some Terro since the beginning of summer because I know how well it works and I wanted to be prepared in case they did show up so I shut the cats out of the bedroom and put one of the baits out.  It doesn't kill them right away - it gives them enough time to carry it back to their nests and kill their queen so the whole colony is destroyed.  If they aren't all gone by tonight, I'll just keep the boys shut out of the bedroom until tomorrow but I've never seen it take more than a few hours to eradicate all the ants.

I might be slightly crazy, but when I was a kid and my mom or grandma put Terro out, I used to love watching all the ants gather around it.  It was like a party.

I'm pretty sure I'm crazy.  It's ok.  All the best people are.
I don't know Terro, it sounds like it has Borax in it. Whenever I have an ant invasion I soak a couple of cotton balls in sugar water (to attract the ants) and then roll them in Borax, yes the laundry aid, and put the cotton balls on a paper towel right in the path of the ants. They feast on it and carry it home on their feet where the rest of the ants walk on what was brought home and when they clean themselves they ingest it. Borax and Boric Acid , liquid or powder,(same chemical) is a nerve poison which is why ants and other creatures (roaches, silverfish etc) have never built up a resistance to it, people have used it for over 300 years for pest control . So, no @Alicia88 you are not crazy and your mom and grandma had the right idea. Just don't put it where your furkids can walk through it, behind the stove, under the fridge and under the kitchen sink with doors on the cabinet are ideal places to use it.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know Terro, it sounds like it has Borax in it. Whenever I have an ant invasion I soak a couple of cotton balls in sugar water (to attract the ants) and then roll them in Borax, yes the laundry aid, and put the cotton balls on a paper towel right in the path of the ants. They feast on it and carry it home on their feet where the rest of the ants walk on what was brought home and when they clean themselves they ingest it. Borax and Boric Acid , liquid or powder,(same chemical) is a nerve poison which is why ants and other creatures (roaches, silverfish etc) have never built up a resistance to it, people have used it for over 300 years for pest control . So, no @Alicia88 you are not crazy and your mom and grandma had the right idea. Just don't put it where your furkids can walk through it, behind the stove, under the fridge and under the kitchen sink with doors on the cabinet are ideal places to use it.
Terro used to come in a little tube and you would put a few drops of it on a square of cardboard.  Now it's in this plastic bait thing.  I don't have any ants in the kitchen.  For some reason, they're just in the bedroom between the bed and the wall.  There isn't a place in here where I can put it without the cats getting to it so I'm just keeping them out of the bedroom for the day.  I'll keep them out tonight too if the ants aren't gone.  This stuff usually works pretty fast so they'll probably be gone by then but I won't let the boys back in here before I can remove the Terro.  I don't know if it has Borax in it or not.  I just always found it entertaining to watch the ants party with the poison.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my little Murrphykins has reached a whole new level of spoiled.  There's no coming back from this.

I keep their bowl full of dry kitten food at all times.  So, we just caught Murphy eating - but only the whole pieces.  And the broken pieces?  He was picking them out and putting them in a pile on the floor.  He's too good to eat broken kibble.  Bow to His Majesty.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cats go the vet today
Ok, I'm strange. I actually like going to the vet. The cats not so much
It's annual exam time. Leroy will probably cause mischief in the exam room again. Last year he decided to explore the sink and set off the automatic faucet
He jumped as the water started coming out and hurried back away from the sink

So I was chatting with my friend online last night and she mentioned her adult son (mid-20s I think) self cut his wrist and arms earlier that day and is staying in the hospital to be treated and I guess for an evaluation.
She said she has good moments and bad moments. I feel really bad for her
I thought about sending a "thinking of you" type card but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. I want her to know that if she wants to talk or have some long distance support I'm here for her. What does TCS think?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered new sheets from Kohl's and they arrived yesterday. I got a great deal on them. I had a code for 30% off, free shipping and $20 in Kohl's cash to use. Last night was all about laundry. I washed the sheets from the bed, washed the new ones and put them on the bed and then washed the comforter and put it back on. Two new pillowcases means two more pillows on the bed. We are now up to 7. 

These are the sheets I got. When I first opened the package, I wasn't impressed but I washed them, dried them and put them on the bed. They are velvety soft. I needed a crane to get my butt out of bed this morning. 

I have them in chestnut. They look just like the picture. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2037324/micro-flannel-deep-pocket-sheets.jsp?color=Ivory

With my codes and Kohl's cash, I got them for $56 shipped. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

It's annual exam time. Leroy will probably cause mischief in the exam room again. Last year he decided to explore the sink and set off the automatic faucet

So I was chatting with my friend online last night and she mentioned her adult son (mid-20s I think) self cut his wrist and arms earlier that day and is staying in the hospital to be treated and I guess for an evaluation.
I thought about sending a "thinking of you" type card but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. I want her to know that if she wants to talk or have some long distance support I'm here for her. What does TCS think?
Simple card with a simple note. Support is priceless but doesn't always have to be expressed like sympathy etc.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel that a 'thinking of you' card would be perfect. It is the absolutely appropriate situation for that card. Just letting her know that you are there for her, would be so meaningful...

Receiving it would really tug into her heart..

Status
Not open for further replies.