The "What are you Doing" Thread - 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muscles build mass by getting exhausted and sore, and then resting for a day or two to recuperate.  They come back stronger after the rest.  Your problem may simply be, not that you've been exercising too much, but that you've been exercising too frequently.  It's best to switch exercises every day; that way the muscles have their rest time, while you're still getting the exercise your heart needs.  And even then you should probably take one day a week off.

Starting slow and easy is good, but the frequency problem remains the same.

Incidentally, despite being hot and sweaty afterwards, a hot shower will help to get rid of the fatigue poisons that cause muscle soreness.  You can finish off with cooler water to get rid of your own excess heat.  And, difficult as it is to do, a hot shower is also surprisingly good for sunburn.  Of course, aloe vera is even better for burns, including sunburns.  (And use ice immediately if you scald yourself, to stop the burning.)  And Solarcaine (or any similar sunburn remedy) is astonishingly good for bruises.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have probably looked like a weirdo or creeper! I've been driving slowly on the highway here, looking in ditches, people's driveways, outbuildings and barns. Putting up missing cat fliers and asking strangers if they've seen "this" cat and showing them a picture of Clawdia I printed for the fliers. [emoji]128575[/emoji] I suspect someone has her, in their home. One time she was gone for 6 days so at first I was not in total panic mode, it's over a week now. I can't even remember when she first started coming around. I think it was early February. I got her shots and spay surgery. I miss her. Her & Nala Ava Marie did not care for each other but I think Nala even misses her a little. [emoji]128575[/emoji]
At least where I live, the grocery stores all have bulletin boards.  I suggest a lost cat poster in every nearby grocery store.  Include little pull off tabs at the bottom with your phone number.  Also, you might want to send emails with her picture to all the local shelters.

Margret

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I came back from shopping at the dreaded Wal-Mart! Yikes!! I really dislike that store(s). This time I drove to a newer one, in a different city. Things still picked over; however a lot neater and cleaner than the one which is less than a mile from my place.
I lost my patience while checking out. I saw that one casher had only one customer with most of her things already bagged. It was not until I put my things on the belt, did I see that she had at least 20 coupons!!!! OMG!!

I do not mind people using coupons, but the cashier was slower than molasses on a cold day!! :wife:  
The customer was checking to make sure they all went through. I saw the cashier scan them. The customer was insisting that several, in the beginning, did not go through. One was a coupon which was on a box of trash bags....
Well, the confrontation between the cashier and the customer ensued!!  
I don't know how you managed to be calm through that! I try really hard to be a patient person and empathize with others, but there's a limit to that!

I hate the the Wal-Mart near me - it never has enough registers open. I only go when I'm not in a rush and in the mood to people watch.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I came back from shopping at the dreaded Wal-Mart! Yikes!! I really dislike that store(s). This time I drove to a newer one, in a different city. Things still picked over; however a lot neater and cleaner than the one which is less than a mile from my place.

I lost my patience while checking out. I saw that one casher had only one customer with most of her things already bagged. It was not until I put my things on the belt, did I see that she had at least 20 coupons!!!! OMG!!

I do not mind people using coupons, but the cashier was slower than molasses on a cold day!! 

The customer was checking to make sure they all went through. I saw the cashier scan them. The customer was insisting that several, in the beginning, did not go through. One was a coupon which was on a box of trash bags....

Well, the confrontation between the cashier and the customer ensued!!  
This is why I avoid Hell Mart like the plague. I use coupons all the time and the cashiers at Hell Mart act like you are taking that money from THEM. The scanners rarely work and then they want you to dig through the bags to prove you bought the item then they have to hand key the coupon in and THEN call a CSM over to turn a key so the hand keyed coupons go through. I could do that or go somewhere else. The only thing I get at WM now is prescriptions and I make that trip as quick as humanly possible. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Muscles build mass by getting exhausted and sore, and then resting for a day or two to recuperate.  They come back stronger after the rest.  Your problem may simply be, not that you've been exercising too much, but that you've been exercising too frequently.  It's best to switch exercises every day; that way the muscles have their rest time, while you're still getting the exercise your heart needs.  And even then you should probably take one day a week off.

Starting slow and easy is good, but the frequency problem remains the same.

Incidentally, despite being hot and sweaty afterwards, a hot shower will help to get rid of the fatigue poisons that cause muscle soreness.  You can finish off with cooler water to get rid of your own excess heat.  And, difficult as it is to do, a hot shower is also surprisingly good for sunburn.  Of course, aloe vera is even better for burns, including sunburns.  (And use ice immediately if you scald yourself, to stop the burning.)  And Solarcaine (or any similar sunburn remedy) is astonishingly good for bruises.

Margret
Thanks Margaret,

I am exercising 3 times a week. I rest a day in-between. I am also not doing many reps. I have had physical therapy on my knee and shoulder, twice on each. I am remember posture, and reps.. either 3 - 10 reps's of 3 - 15 reps. 

I take a hot shower when I come home and just relax. I am very out of shape. I am planning on going back tomorrow, to try it again. I do not go everyday. It is too much for me. By the time I get going in the morning, then do all I want at the gym, it is 2 hours. I take it slow and do not overdo it. My muscles tell me when to stop. I do not push it. 

Years ago, I used to walk every day. I loved it. But now, my allergies have gotten much worse, so it is out of the question this time of year. The gym has a controlled environment. Much better for me. I did walk 1.47 miles on Level 2 of the weight loss program for 30 minutes. I think it was the level 2 and the speed I was walking at that did me in; although my heart rate was great! I did not get towards the max until about 20 minutes into it. That is when I slowed down a bit. My heart rate was better yesterday than it was on previous days. I mean what do I expect?  I have only been doing this for 5 visits. 

I think I may take a class tomorrow. It is a 30 minute circuit using resistance, instead of weights. That may be a bit better for the beginning. 

I think I need more protein.. I never ate that much of it. Trying to find low carb, high protein foods; that I like and agrees with me.. 

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

This is why I avoid Hell Mart like the plague. I use coupons all the time and the cashiers at Hell Mart act like you are taking that money from THEM. The scanners rarely work and then they want you to dig through the bags to prove you bought the item then they have to hand key the coupon in and THEN call a CSM over to turn a key so the hand keyed coupons go through. I could do that or go somewhere else. The only thing I get at WM now is prescriptions and I make that trip as quick as humanly possible. 

Thats for sure!!!!  

I try to avoid it, even though there is one only a mile from where I live!!! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

I won't even get prescriptions there, I feel like I'm selling my soul to the devil by giving them my business. It's why I won't go to Sam's Club either. However, I guess I'd sell my soul if I had to get a prescription for one of the cats that would be a whole lot more elsewhere.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to relax after a long day (mentally). Rushing Sara to the vet = not fun! Mom's making chicken soup for dinner tonight; I like comfort food, I really do. I like it a bit too much I think........

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I won't even get prescriptions there, I feel like I'm selling my soul to the devil by giving them my business. It's why I won't go to Sam's Club either. However, I guess I'd sell my soul if I had to get a prescription for one of the cats that would be a whole lot more elsewhere.
I go there for prescriptions because they take my AAA card and it's cheaper than going through the insurance. 

They DO want your soul though 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks Margaret,

I am exercising 3 times a week. I rest a day in-between. I am also not doing many reps. I have had physical therapy on my knee and shoulder, twice on each. I am remember posture, and reps.. either 3 - 10 reps's of 3 - 15 reps. 

I take a hot shower when I come home and just relax. I am very out of shape. I am planning on going back tomorrow, to try it again. I do not go everyday. It is too much for me. By the time I get going in the morning, then do all I want at the gym, it is 2 hours. I take it slow and do not overdo it. My muscles tell me when to stop. I do not push it. 

Years ago, I used to walk every day. I loved it. But now, my allergies have gotten much worse, so it is out of the question this time of year. The gym has a controlled environment. Much better for me. I did walk 1.47 miles on Level 2 of the weight loss program for 30 minutes. I think it was the level 2 and the speed I was walking at that did me in; although my heart rate was great! I did not get towards the max until about 20 minutes into it. That is when I slowed down a bit. My heart rate was better yesterday than it was on previous days. I mean what do I expect?  I have only been doing this for 5 visits. 

I think I may take a class tomorrow. It is a 30 minute circuit using resistance, instead of weights. That may be a bit better for the beginning. 

I think I need more protein.. I never ate that much of it. Trying to find low carb, high protein foods; that I like and agrees with me.. 
Speaking from a diabetes perspective, high protein and low carb is extremely good.  And I've been reading a lot of stuff lately that indicates it's good for everyone, not just diabetics.  Wheat is a major culprit when it comes to carbs, BTW.  And, despite the propaganda we've been hearing for years about how dangerous fat is, it's not nearly as bad for you as carbs.  But don't forget that you need fiber as well.  If you're not sure, try Metamucil or something similar, and be sure to get plenty of fruits and veggies.  The carbs you find in fruit are a good deal better for you than the carbs you find in bread or cereal.

When I was first learning yoga, the principle I was taught is that if it hurts, you're either not ready for it or you're doing it wrong.  This is one of the things I love about yoga.  It's a good rule to follow in any exercise program.  Not talking about muscle aches from working out, but if you're feeling this bad with this little provocation you're either not ready for this level of intensity or you're doing it wrong.  Try cutting back further, and do try to fine tune your diet, but if that doesn't do it you may want to talk with your doctor.

Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor.  This is just friendly advice, for what it's worth, and even if I were a doctor a proper diagnosis happens in person.  The same as when someone posts a picture of a cat in distress on the site -- if it's bad, call the vet (i.e. doctor).

Margret

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sitting here hoping the vet calls and says Rocket is improving.  He is going to be PTS.  Not sure what is wrong with him but the vet hasn't see anything like this and neither have the other vets in the practice.  He's only 4 weeks old and was learning to climb the steps last night.  Looked like a URI but isn't.  I'm dreading cleaning out the room with his toys and blanket.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sitting here hoping the vet calls and says Rocket is improving.  He is going to be PTS.  Not sure what is wrong with him but the vet hasn't see anything like this and neither have the other vets in the practice.  He's only 4 weeks old and was learning to climb the steps last night.  Looked like a URI but isn't.  I'm dreading cleaning out the room with his toys and blanket.
Um, PTS?  I don't recognize this one.  Hoping it doesn't stand for "Put To Sleep."

Margret

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh that's so upsetting. I hope your phone rings with much needed good news.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Um, PTS?  I don't recognize this one.  Hoping it doesn't stand for "Put To Sleep."

Margret
Yes that's it.

He's a 4 week old foster kitten that we got on Friday.  They say when you adopt your foster kitty you're a failed foster. I disagree, this is a failed foster.  I have no idea what went wrong, if it was something I did or didn't do or if it was a disease or genetic.  I'll stop crying eventually.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes that's it.

He's a 4 week old foster kitten that we got on Friday.  They say when you adopt your foster kitty you're a failed foster. I disagree, this is a failed foster.  I have no idea what went wrong, if it was something I did or didn't do or if it was a disease or genetic.  I'll stop crying eventually.
Oh, how awful.  I seriously doubt that it was anything you did.  Sometimes things just go wrong, and no one knows why.

You know we're all here for you, of course.  I'm so sorry.

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes that's it.

I agree 100% with @Margret  . I don't think that this had anything to do with what you did or did not do. They are so fragile at that age and it's heartbreaking but some of them just don't make it. It could have been anything. What you did do was take care of that little one and you loved him. He went to the bridge knowing that someone loved him and cared about him. RIP Rocket. You will not be forgotten. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Hahaha!

I am so sorry! I highly doubt it was anything you did. And yes of course you are going to cry. We are human. Shedding some tears for you as we hate loosing little kittens. or any cat for that matter. Sometimes no matter how hard we work we can't save them. It sucks to the moon and back.

@Artiemom   Yes you will want to start to trade carbs for proteins=nuts, peanut butter is a good place to start. yogurt=make sure no artificial sweetners-they are being sneaky and calling it natural flavors-and just plain not good for us. I found some that has 15 grams of protein per serving. also cheese-and wheat/multigrain bread WITH peanut butter makes whats called a complete protein. I found that eating peanut butter with my bread helped starve off hunger for longer than if I used lunchmeats=lunch meats don't satisfy me unless I eat a pound of it..i tried bananas with peanut butter and wheat bread yesterday for dinner-toasted of course=wasn't bad-actually filled me up without being stuffed.

The way I was taught about food=and many years I disregarded and ate what I darn well pleased was that we want to give the body the more bang for the buck-so I started slowly playing switcheroo=if I felt like chips=I would eat some peanut butter or nuts instead.  I am in the beginning of this road as well.

The first week I did working out I was sore everyday=potassium is your friend right now=bananas (again!) sweet potatoes,  regular potatoes- are some good sources of potassium-this helps with muscle aches=also if you are sore make sure you are drinking enough liquids=I am still looking for a non sweet electrolyte replacement = someone on the exercise thread mentioned some things about it= I love Gatorade but its loaded with too much sugar=I still drink it but I water it down 50/50.

And for me its hard to rest in between days, I just keep pushing through.

Oh protein=get some protein drink mix=I got mine on Amazon-its banana and strawberry and tastes pretty good-Its this one:

this one is the smaller bottle-2 lbs. The serving is 30 gram scoop=I use hot hot tea water-only about 1/4 cup and whip with my fork-about 30 seconds=add some ice just to cool it off=and add water then chug it-I was told by my guys at work who are gym rats-you can take it 30-60 min prior to working out OR after-This  powder is low on carbs so it wont make it go crazy. I still haven't figured out if it makes a difference but what the hey?!

By the way=GOOD Job in starting!! I spent an entire year not doing anything athletic and I totally understand the soreness=the GOOD news=it only lasts a week...just remember our minds take 4 to 6 weeks to process changes-so once we get past that first month-it does get easier...For me the hardest part=routine- I don't like change and I have to change that in my mind.

By the way=Proud of you!!

Also Margaret is correct in everything she stated. The fats are not nearly as bad for us as they led us to think. Fat is better than sugary carbs. 

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margret, @Kat0121, @foxxycat   Thank you for your support and kind words.  Today I need to call and speak with the rescue guy.  Yesterday he told me to call when I was ready.  I think I can finally talk about it without crying.

@Artiemom   Soaking in Epsom salts works wonders on sore muscles. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
@Handsome Kitty  

I am so sorry about that little one. I read your original thread about Rocket. You did nothing wrong at all. Sometimes things just happen, for no reason at all.. I guess that is where the saying, "survival of the fittest" comes from. As much as we try to keep all the orphans and little ones say and healthy; there is another plan for them. We can try and fight as much as we are physically and emotionally able to, and yet the outcome is the same.  I am not being hard. I want you to kind of try to understand that you did all you could do. Please do not second guess yourself or have any regrets about things. You are a wonderful, caring person..There was a reason why Rocket came to you. Think of it as you providing Rocket with love. Without you, he would never have known it...  ((hugs))

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Hahaha!

I am so sorry! I highly doubt it was anything you did. And yes of course you are going to cry. We are human. Shedding some tears for you as we hate loosing little kittens. or any cat for that matter. Sometimes no matter how hard we work we can't save them. It sucks to the moon and back.

@Artiemom   Yes you will want to start to trade carbs for proteins=nuts, peanut butter is a good place to start. yogurt=make sure no artificial sweetners-they are being sneaky and calling it natural flavors-and just plain not good for us. I found some that has 15 grams of protein per serving. also cheese-and wheat/multigrain bread WITH peanut butter makes whats called a complete protein. I found that eating peanut butter with my bread helped starve off hunger for longer than if I used lunchmeats=lunch meats don't satisfy me unless I eat a pound of it..i tried bananas with peanut butter and wheat bread yesterday for dinner-toasted of course=wasn't bad-actually filled me up without being stuffed.

The way I was taught about food=and many years I disregarded and ate what I darn well pleased was that we want to give the body the more bang for the buck-so I started slowly playing switcheroo=if I felt like chips=I would eat some peanut butter or nuts instead.  I am in the beginning of this road as well.

The first week I did working out I was sore everyday=potassium is your friend right now=bananas (again!) sweet potatoes,  regular potatoes- are some good sources of potassium-this helps with muscle aches=also if you are sore make sure you are drinking enough liquids=I am still looking for a non sweet electrolyte replacement = someone on the exercise thread mentioned some things about it= I love Gatorade but its loaded with too much sugar=I still drink it but I water it down 50/50.

And for me its hard to rest in between days, I just keep pushing through.

Oh protein=get some protein drink mix=I got mine on Amazon-its banana and strawberry and tastes pretty good-Its this one:

this one is the smaller bottle-2 lbs. The serving is 30 gram scoop=I use hot hot tea water-only about 1/4 cup and whip with my fork-about 30 seconds=add some ice just to cool it off=and add water then chug it-I was told by my guys at work who are gym rats-you can take it 30-60 min prior to working out OR after-This  powder is low on carbs so it wont make it go crazy. I still haven't figured out if it makes a difference but what the hey?!

By the way=GOOD Job in starting!! I spent an entire year not doing anything athletic and I totally understand the soreness=the GOOD news=it only lasts a week...just remember our minds take 4 to 6 weeks to process changes-so once we get past that first month-it does get easier...For me the hardest part=routine- I don't like change and I have to change that in my mind.

By the way=Proud of you!!

Also Margaret is correct in everything she stated. The fats are not nearly as bad for us as they led us to think. Fat is better than sugary carbs. 
Thanks for all your info. I looked at the exercise motivation thread. Wow, you guys are so much ahead of me!! I am just starting off. With a bad knee and bad shoulder, I have to take it easier. I am just impatient. I would start posting on that thread, but I feel so intimidated because I am just beginning.

Thank you for all the tips. I was thinking of a protein mix, but I do not want to buy a huge jug of it. 

@margaret

Thanks for all the tips/advice.

I start my day with a container of greek yogurt with some granola mixed it. 

I drink plenty of water during the day. I have a sport bottle sitting next to my chair and a couple of containers in my car. I am a huge water drinker. 

I have been sedentary for years. I was heavy as a child, gradually lost weight. Was a good shape about 30 yes ago..lots of exercise, gained some weight after a while and then with daily walking, about 20 years ago, lost a ton. Then life got in the way, and I gained so much weight. I never thought I would weigh this much.

I really do need to lose 50 lbs, but I will be very happy with 20. 

Gotta see if I have any PB in the house. I have almond butter--may crack it open. When I return from the gym, I usually grab a large hand full of nuts;\

Thanks again, Not planning to monopolize this thread...

Sorry for doing that to all the other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.