The "What are you Doing" Thread - 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sitting here, drinking my morning coffee. Just fed the kids their breakfast. There wasn't enough dishes to run the dishwasher last night, so am doing it now. 

I'm preparing for my cleaning binge today. Lots of caffeine for fuel!

mickNsnicks2mom, we just got a letter from our cable company; our bill is increasing, too. We have cable internet and the whole thing is very frustrating. I can probably name 3 channels that I truly watch in one week; the rest is all crap, IMO, and I wish we could just order what we want a la carte, so to speak. Over 200 channels....and nothing worth watching anyway. Last night, I watched Sleepy Hollow on FOX, then turned the channel over to HGTV and promptly fell asleep. This morning, when the cats awakened me for breakfast, it will still on HGTV and I hadn't watched a thing. Rick hates the constant cable increases and keeps threatening to go to Dish or DirectTV. But I do like the cable internet (after using dial-up for years, this is wonderful), so we stay with the cable. And Rick continues to complain bitterly. It seems the more channels we get, the less there is to watch.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Sitting here, drinking my morning coffee. Just fed the kids their breakfast. There wasn't enough dishes to run the dishwasher last night, so am doing it now. 

mickNsnicks2mom, we just got a letter from our cable company; our bill is increasing, too. We have cable internet and the whole thing is very frustrating. I can probably name 3 channels that I truly watch in one week; the rest is all crap, IMO, and I wish we could just order what we want a la carte, so to speak. Over 200 channels....and nothing worth watching anyway. Last night, I watched Sleepy Hollow on FOX, then turned the channel over to HGTV and promptly fell asleep. This morning, when the cats awakened me for breakfast, it will still on HGTV and I hadn't watched a thing. Rick hates the constant cable increases and keeps threatening to go to Dish or DirectTV. But I do like the cable internet (after using dial-up for years, this is wonderful), so we stay with the cable. And Rick continues to complain bitterly. It seems the more channels we get, the less there is to watch.
you can call up and threaten to cancel. I noticed an extra charge of $4.99 and they said I chose that package-I said I never changed any package and you guys never send me notification of rate increase=so then they said we will take $30 off a month for 12 months-so maybe call them and tell them you are going with someone else. We just got a smart tv and after 12 months is up we are cutting the cord. I have been messing around with Netflix and hulu. As well as amazon prime has movies...the thing is I like my morning news and watching the world news at 6:30 every night. So we are trying to get used to the idea of no more local broadcast stations.

I also only have dsl as I don't see the point in paying $70 for highspeed cable internet but we may end up changing this if they keep raising the prices of my phone line.

Sitting here at work trying to get motivated to start a project. Weekends are laid back. We finally got the ok to spend money but everytime I put in a large order on the weekends sometimes the supplier never gets the electronic transfer then I can't cancel it-then 3 weeks later they send me my stuff..so for now I am working on the computer figuring out what items to order first and keep the money down. They wont tell me what the budget is for the year so I can plug in a number every quarter and spread it out...the fun of corporation caka. Anyways its cold outside after being in the 70s last night. We are getting snow tomorrow...I am So DONE with Snow!! I haven't done any clearing off of old brush due to the snow that keeps coming once a week then the temps rise and drive my allergies batty...Not sure what we will do tonight..if its raining then a boring night in..if no rain go walking downtown and get a cup of coffee or something...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching the sideways snow, blowing to the left, then to the right. Trash cans rolling by, and all the crap out there that's just blowing around. Hoping the door doesn't blow in.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sitting down right now. I just finished tidying up, sweeping and washing the floors. I've got laundry going, I've scrubbed the bathroom and just waiting for the shower curtain and liner to wash so I can hang it all back up. My kids are napping right now. My daughter will be excited to see the snow when she wakes up.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not done any housework, except for folding and putting away an overflowing basket of clean clothes!!

I did do my regular morning stuff...

Then I went out to the local Dollar Store for some cards, a gift bag and tissue paper--then to Trader Joes for some stuff for a few days...

Artie is having an off day... 

I noticed that he does not talk to me...he stopped.....that is not right..

he is sleeping more also..and not playing...I am trying not to get worried, yet it is not his normal self...

sigh..

Right now I am having a glass of wine, listening to some good music...will have supper soon. I am planning on a homemade Greek Salad with chicken...and some chocolate pudding later..or maybe not....

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 00.50am and I'm in bed feeling quite down. I have no idea why. Well the lack of kitty love upsets me.
I watched tv for most of the day. Very educational but I don't care any more. It's not going to do me any harm now is it?
I'm feeling too tired to talk.
Sleep well everybody

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not doing much of anything. It turned windy, wet and cold. What I want to do is run to the store for something to eat, but my brand new crown just fell off, the other side of my mouth is a brand new pulled tooth packed with a bone graft (for implant later) as for the crown, I can't get it back on using temporary means, so it'll be watered down coffee and mush for a few days, if even that. I'm wondering if a glass of wine would do any harm. I'm snarky and feel a headache creeping up.

Hope Artie isn't sick, Artiemom. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

my isp called back today. they were relatively pleasant about it, but said they're not going to give me any promotional discounts. the worst part of it is that my isp is now comcast, because comcast bought time warner, and now customer service is outsourced to another country. i used to call time warner, and there would be someone here in the US on the line with me -- many times even in my state.

i did suggest that my isp consider offering something like a choose 6 channels for XX dollars per month kind of thing. and i told them that thinking that cable services were going back to being a big money-maker for them is foolish -- of course i put that in a much nicer way. i got the response about the companies bottom line. hey, they can hang on to the dream that people are going to be flocking back to cable tv if they want.

so i spent part of my afternoon looking further into the gsp and isp set up and 'peering' and such. i'm always interested in learning more about computer/internet related things.

now, didn't you all recently buy a stick hooey for streaming? i can't remember what brand you bought right now -- was it a (amazon) fire tv stick? if so, you have that for streaming, but you might also consider setting yourself up to just stream and then simply cancel cable (just the cable tv part, not the internet service). if your isp isn't having internet data usage charges (mine doesn't, yet, in my area), then just streaming might make sense for you. i mean, i just stream. i have it set up that i stream from 4 free websites to my computer as well as external monitors (one of which is my tv). i think i spent no more than $50 on the cables and etc i needed to do that -- and i bought a 50 ft hdmi cable and an hdmi repeater/extender, the more costly items of the 'stuff' i needed.

finishing up reading and posting here on TCS, then gonna add some more wood to the stove and off to bed i go. 

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sitting bed, reading TCS, realize how grateful I am for not having to deal with a snow storm. I lived in New England up to last year and I just couldn't take the cold any more. Stay warm and cozy my northern neighbors!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

my isp called back today. they were relatively pleasant about it, but said they're not going to give me any promotional discounts. the worst part of it is that my isp is now comcast, because comcast bought time warner, and now customer service is outsourced to another country. i used to call time warner, and there would be someone here in the US on the line with me -- many times even in my state.

i did suggest that my isp consider offering something like a choose 6 channels for XX dollars per month kind of thing. and i told them that thinking that cable services were going back to being a big money-maker for them is foolish -- of course i put that in a much nicer way. i got the response about the companies bottom line. hey, they can hang on to the dream that people are going to be flocking back to cable tv if they want.

so i spent part of my afternoon looking further into the gsp and isp set up and 'peering' and such. i'm always interested in learning more about computer/internet related things.

now, didn't you all recently buy a stick hooey for streaming? i can't remember what brand you bought right now -- was it a (amazon) fire tv stick? if so, you have that for streaming, but you might also consider setting yourself up to just stream and then simply cancel cable (just the cable tv part, not the internet service). if your isp isn't having internet data usage charges (mine doesn't, yet, in my area), then just streaming might make sense for you. i mean, i just stream. i have it set up that i stream from 4 free websites to my computer as well as external monitors (one of which is my tv). i think i spent no more than $50 on the cables and etc i needed to do that -- and i bought a 50 ft hdmi cable and an hdmi repeater/extender, the more costly items of the 'stuff' i needed.

finishing up reading and posting here on TCS, then gonna add some more wood to the stove and off to bed i go. 
If we cancel cable, we also automatically cancel the internet. I called them last year when the price increased so drastically and that's what they told me. I can't go back to dial-up and our phone provider does not offer DSL as we are too far out.If it wasn't for the internet, I think Rick is almost to the point where he'd give the cable up.

I do watch our local news pretty much every evening, but we could still get local news. And really, I don't watch much tv to make it worthwhile; Rick is the big tv watcher in the family. He watches a lot of the weirder channels, too, and I think that will keep cable here. Although he was furious about this latest increase; we were texting on Friday night and he was really frustrated.

Yes, I have the Fire Stick and am very, very pleased with it. Since I hooked it up, I've only had that one Blue Screen of Death issue. Now I simply turn the tv on and set it to HDMI 2, turn the Stick on and I can watch whatever I wish. Some of the newer stuff is only available through Amazon's paid subscription (you have to pay extra), but honestly, the amount of stuff on Amazon Prime is amazing. I'm really pleased.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not doing much of anything. It turned windy, wet and cold. What I want to do is run to the store for something to eat, but my brand new crown just fell off, the other side of my mouth is a brand new pulled tooth packed with a bone graft (for implant later) as for the crown, I can't get it back on using temporary means, so it'll be watered down coffee and mush for a few days, if even that. I'm wondering if a glass of wine would do any harm. I'm snarky and feel a headache creeping up.
Oh no! Can you use fixodent or something?

Sitting bed, reading TCS, realize how grateful I am for not having to deal with a snow storm. I lived in New England up to last year and I just couldn't take the cold any more. Stay warm and cozy my northern neighbors!

Yep. Woke up to snow. It seems to have mostly stopped here, but the wind is awful. Snow again tomorrow morning. :lol3:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I hope everyone got a good sleep.

Artiemom I hope Artie is feeling better

Judy-Hope you got some sleep.

Last night I was exhausted from the extra hard workout so I fell asleep at 6pm. Forgot to give Honeybee her puffs. I woke up at 2 am and gave them. She was sleeping sprawled on my chest/stomach. I didn't need blankets because she makes me sweat. I watched some Indian movie last night on Encore-I wish It was on again-I think kevin Costner was in it or at least someone who looks like him and I forgot the title but it was made in 1993. interesting history about us and the Apache. Made me sad for what was done to them. Then I drifted off to sleep I think 3:30, woke at 5:30 and rushed out the door for work. Its snowing out..uggg.

Now I am researching different grinding materials since the ones we usually order are no longer available=trying to tell by a picture if the thing is the same or not..hard to tell by a picture..so I ordered 3 dif ones.

and I had the bf get one of those Hulu things from walmart-or is it called something else? I cant remember-we were able to watch dif things but it is weird because you don't know if you will like the program until you actually watch it. I want to get cable internet but just like others above noticed-they make you get basic cable..umm no why cant we just get the high speed? for now we have dsl. I rarely use it anymore. I got my phone almost 3 yrs ago and I do most of my facebook from the phone. but the boyfriend is always looking up classic car stuff or researching how to fix his old ancient tractors that he insists on buying because its cheap but then has a heck of a time finding parts..so that's pretty much it. he is the tv watcher. I am the internet guru and reader. I have tried to get him into reading..nope he doesn't like it unless its a car magazine or science.

So today is working on more purchase orders to get ahead of the ordering mash that will occur now that new fiscal year has started-we need so much stuff but takes time to get these orders in...alas hopefully I will get most of it done today.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Today Paul and Chula got a box full of presents, including a bottle of valerian roots that came with a little canvas bag to stuff.   Paul had that bag for less than two minutes before he had ripped a big hole in it and had the valerian root all over the carpet.  It seems quality control fell down on the job in designing this little item.
  On the other hand, he and Chula have been rolling around in valerian roots ever since with joyful abandon so I guess it is a success from their viewpoints!   

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Valerian roots?? first I heard of these...I know of Valerian as an herbal relaxant, but for cats?  

Does it work better than catnip?  I swear my guy is immune to catnip. Oh, he sniffs for a minute and plays for a few seconds, but that is it.....

I think Artie need a 'shot' of something....

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If we cancel cable, we also automatically cancel the internet. I called them last year when the price increased so drastically and that's what they told me. I can't go back to dial-up and our phone provider does not offer DSL as we are too far out.If it wasn't for the internet, I think Rick is almost to the point where he'd give the cable up.

I do watch our local news pretty much every evening, but we could still get local news. And really, I don't watch much tv to make it worthwhile; Rick is the big tv watcher in the family. He watches a lot of the weirder channels, too, and I think that will keep cable here. Although he was furious about this latest increase; we were texting on Friday night and he was really frustrated.

Yes, I have the Fire Stick and am very, very pleased with it. Since I hooked it up, I've only had that one Blue Screen of Death issue. Now I simply turn the tv on and set it to HDMI 2, turn the Stick on and I can watch whatever I wish. Some of the newer stuff is only available through Amazon's paid subscription (you have to pay extra), but honestly, the amount of stuff on Amazon Prime is amazing. I'm really pleased.
ahhhh! well i totally understand that! i wouldn't go from DSL to dial-up either.

hmmm...are you able to downgrade your cable to basic, just the lowest cost package or 'welcome package'? i did that after i started streaming and had 2 or 3 months left on my dish contract -- there was a hefty early termination fee. i downgraded to dish's welcome package that was $19.99/month plus tax. because once you're set up to stream from the internet, there's no cost to watch the shows via the websites i use, just the cost of having internet service and the internet speed to be able to stream.

you might want to take a look at the free to stream from websites, try them out for a period of time, then if you're feeling comfortable watching shows/movies that way you look into how low (cost, package) you can get your cable service (so you can still get the DSL) and what cables and etc you'd need to stream to a tv set(s) -- if you want that kind of set up. i mean, in another thread you mentioned the series Outlander......the dare tube has that  http://www.thedaretube.com/tv/outlander . and you can request shows/movies, episodes, etc there too. see the requests section in 'chat', to the right hand side of the page here -- http://www.thedaretube.com/tv/outlander/season/1/episode/16 .

might be something to consider...

just getting ready to listen to the next Serial, season 1 episode.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick just got home about 30 minutes ago and he left now to pick up Jackie at the kennel. I'm mentally preparing myself for the rambunctious Beast. I have to say that it's been nice here this weekend not having to deal with The Beast. But it is what it is and she'll be home soon. Gates are already closed. 

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Valerian roots?? first I heard of these...I know of Valerian as an herbal relaxant, but for cats?  

Does it work better than catnip?  I swear my guy is immune to catnip. Oh, he sniffs for a minute and plays for a few seconds, but that is it.....

I think Artie need a 'shot' of something....
I learned about valerian roots here at TCS.  Apparently valerian works as a stimulant with cats.  Cats who don't react to cat nip sometimes do react to the valerian - Chula seems to be one of those.  She's "meh" about catnip but she does enjoy the valerian.    They each have a refillable carrot that came stuffed with catnip and when I can figure out where Paul hid them, I'm going to stuff them with valerian root.  That little bag that came with the root was useless. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask where you got the valerian root? The only one I know of is in the tea bags, in the organic section of the grocery store....

I am willing to try anything that could possibly help my baby..... 

I just have a gut feeling  that he is not right and in some kind of internal pain'; although he is eating well, pooping--his peeing is not quite right...sigh....

I will see how he is Monday or Tuesday before I consult (telephone call) with his regular vet...sigh...

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone got a good sleep.

Artiemom I hope Artie is feeling better

Judy-Hope you got some sleep.

Last night I was exhausted from the extra hard workout so I fell asleep at 6pm. Forgot to give Honeybee her puffs. I woke up at 2 am and gave them. She was sleeping sprawled on my chest/stomach. I didn't need blankets because she makes me sweat. I watched some Indian movie last night on Encore-I wish It was on again-I think kevin Costner was in it or at least someone who looks like him and I forgot the title but it was made in 1993. interesting history about us and the Apache. Made me sad for what was done to them. Then I drifted off to sleep I think 3:30, woke at 5:30 and rushed out the door for work. Its snowing out..uggg.

Now I am researching different grinding materials since the ones we usually order are no longer available=trying to tell by a picture if the thing is the same or not..hard to tell by a picture..so I ordered 3 dif ones.

and I had the bf get one of those Hulu things from walmart-or is it called something else? I cant remember-we were able to watch dif things but it is weird because you don't know if you will like the program until you actually watch it. I want to get cable internet but just like others above noticed-they make you get basic cable..umm no why cant we just get the high speed? for now we have dsl. I rarely use it anymore. I got my phone almost 3 yrs ago and I do most of my facebook from the phone. but the boyfriend is always looking up classic car stuff or researching how to fix his old ancient tractors that he insists on buying because its cheap but then has a heck of a time finding parts..so that's pretty much it. he is the tv watcher. I am the internet guru and reader. I have tried to get him into reading..nope he doesn't like it unless its a car magazine or science.

So today is working on more purchase orders to get ahead of the ordering mash that will occur now that new fiscal year has started-we need so much stuff but takes time to get these orders in...alas hopefully I will get most of it done today.
If there was a wolf in the film, then it was Kevin costner.

Status
Not open for further replies.