The Weight Loss Support Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost 8lbs, but I don't really know enough to know if this is water weight or anything like that. I also quit smoking. Not a fun week!
Excellent job on quitting smoking. That would cause anyone a bunch of anxiety!!! Stay strong this week. And we'll see if the 8 lbs was water or (as I like to call them) a "woosh" by next week!

For myself, I squeaked out a half a pound. NOT at all unhappy, even though my original goal was 3 lbs. Friday I had a funeral with a luncheon after, Saturday I went to lunch with my family, and Sunday I went to the local Celtic festival where I indulged, mindfully, in some fried potatoes with cheese and 3 deep-fried Oreos. 

While it sounds like I went crazy, I'm actually REALLY proud of the way I handled myself. I indulged, but with a limit to how much (tried to convince the lady to sell me only 1 fried oreo, but they came in a 6 pack; I gave away the other three), and I kept all my other meals and snacks very light and healthy. I also walked my bum off! I think that's why I still had a loss despite the weekend fun. NOW, I am ready to stay to plan this week and lose that 3 lbs!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My scale lies now about 2 - 2.5 pounds more than yesterday, I have been trying to make sure to refill fluid levels and have been reducing deficit to more sane numbers, making sure my nutritional balance is good.

So it might be that my real loss during the week is something between 4.5 to 5 pounds, which is surprisingly well, imo.

It should be that next week my weight stays below 100kg with this slower pace, unless I fail and eat chocolate or something, which I did today again, it took 1 hour and 20 minutes of sweating to burn those calories off.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost 8lbs, but I don't really know enough to know if this is water weight or anything like that. I also quit smoking. Not a fun week!
Maybe not fun week, but certainly a good week! :D

Maximum amount of fat you can loose is 69kcal/kg/day.

That is so that for each kilogram of bodyfat your body can convert around 9.9 grams of fat to energy each day, that is 24 hours.

For example I'm currently having 29kg of fat when calculated from my BMI, that means 29 times 69kcal = 2001kcal is maximum amount of energy I can theoretically get from my bodyfat during each 24 hours.

For male in kilograms formula to get your bodyfat percentage from BMI is this kind:
((1,2*BMI)+(0,23*AGE)-(10,8*GENDER)-5,4)

This link shows how to calculate it and also warns that it is not best in accuracy, but haven't found much better, unless doing skinfold measurements:
http://halls.md/body-fat-percentage-formula/

Bodyfat percentage is needed to know in order to find out how much bodyfat person has in kg or lbs and from that one can then get theoretical maximum.

I have then multiplied value by 0.8 to get safe margin and for sure available bodyfat, I don't wish to reduce my brain it is already struggling!

How much fat you can loose is therefore very unique number for you, it would be useful number to know because it would help to keep weight loss in best speed without sacrificing too much of muscle (heart is also muscle and muscle loss can happen from it!) or getting discouraged by fluids decreasing and increasing, creating a jo-jo effect.

Also another thing to consider is nutritional balance, all the vitamins etc. should be eaten, but protein for example has energy and also fat is very important for brains to work, so there is limit how much fat can be lost without sacrificing health, it is not always possible to loose maximum amount which bodyfat could release to energy, because nutritional balance cannot be met.

Because of this all, for me 4lbs in a week is already fast pace, I'm very happy to have half of that which is about 1000kcal deficiency each day and I need to do some exercise to be able to get all nutrition's while having that deficiency.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So. Had my yearly physical last Friday.  Everything went fine and the doctor and I had our usual 15 minute discussion before the appointment.  I mentioned my pain issues due to my knee osteoarthritis and of course, he more or less says my weight has a lot to do with it.  Tell me something I don't know!  Or, tell me other ways to deal with it; IDK maybe a 'script for a nutritionist or something along those lines?

Anyway, I do weigh less than I did last year so that's a plus but, not enough of course. I had lost 17 pounds through the previous October or so, but gained it back and now have re-lost another 6 since September.   I reiterated to him how far along I've come in my eating habits since last year and while it's a struggle to get the weight off, at least I'm doing all I can to help myself given my physical limitations.  I agreed I need to see my orthopedist for a looksee and find out what he suggests I do also.  

In the interim, I am slightly annoyed because he's pretty overweight himself and while he's incredibly thorough in his exams, I just don't think he completely gets a) being female and on the very tail end of perimenopause; b) how hard it is to move when in pain; c) I also totally forgot to mention that my foot had been a factor in this too - last summer (2014) I was diagnosed as having a bunionette on my right foot - which is unbearably painful.  I've had 2 cortisone injections since then, it is under control at the moment but could flare at any time.  So it was a double whammy of pain and sluggishness.

I'm going to see if I can find a female GP for the next time.  He is checking for thyroid irregularities (they run in my family) so that could be part of the reason the weight just won't come off of me.  Right now, I'm back on Weight Watchers and doing the My Fitness Pal logging too since they give different views of my eating habits.  For the most part, I'm eating very low bad fats (a stick of butter could last well over a month now whereas I probably went through 1 a week), low salt, low sugar (the easiest thing for me - I don't really have a big sweet tooth) low carb (most days) and making much better choices overall - way more fruits and veggies in my diet now.  Also, I've all but given up fast food (we still break down now and then but it's more like a couple of times a month instead of several times a week).  Also, I don't drink my calories; plain iced tea or Pellagrino is my best friend.  I watch my portions also - I've been weighing just about everything or, have learned what a portion looks like visually by now.  I know what my triggers are for overeating and I try to avoid circumstances which might push me over the edge.

So, overall healthy but still fat.  But at least, I feel better about how I'm handling it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I hate it when I have an overweight doctor who tells me that I'm overweight. There's something so wrong about that. Years ago, I used to have a fat (he was really fat) male doctor who smoked like a fiend. He would come into the exam room, yell at me about my weight and about my smoking. I always wanted to say, "Pot meet kettle!"

And then I had an assistant female doctor who was also overweight. My regular doctor and I were trying to get me off blood pressure meds, I was at a very healthy weight and I was walking twice a day and doing my exercises faithfully. Eating well. I was doing everything I could do. But my BP was still running a little high without the meds, nothing threatening, but she wanted it down. Well, this doctor was filling in for my regular doctor. She looked at my chart, looked at me and started lecturing. "You are fat! Fat! You need to get off your butt! I could pinch more than an inch!" And she actually tried to grab me around my waist! At that point I weighed 130 pounds with my clothes on, was a perfect size 6, and believe me, you don't want to see me at less than that. It's not pretty.

I was devastated. I was not heavy at all, I swear. I left the office, went to my car, and just sat there. And then I called Rick. He hit the roof and he actually went down to the doctor that night after work. And he told her what he thought. And then he ended with, "You have the
 to tell my wife she is overweight? Really? Have you looked in a mirror lately?" And then he stalked out. My hero. He was furious. Because Rick knew that I was really trying to get my BP down without the meds. And he also knew that anything below 130 would have me looking like a walking skeleton. 

My point is that, sometimes, even when you're really trying to do the very best you can, it's still not good enough for the doctor. It's difficult and it really hurts. But as long as you know you're doing what you can, let it go. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
<snipped>

My point is that, sometimes, even when you're really trying to do the very best you can, it's still not good enough for the doctor. It's difficult and it really hurts. But as long as you know you're doing what you can, let it go. 
Thanks for that. It was good to read!  Being spoken down to is so discouraging and when it comes from a doctor, maybe even more so.  

I think being healthy overall is part of the picture.  I have very good blood pressure, I expect when my bloodwork comes back that all of that will be fine although, if thyroid issues crop up, I won't be surprised and might even be relieved since it would partially explain why the weight doesn't want to seem to budge.  He actually asked me if my hair had always been as thin as it is.  Which, it has been but I understand this is one of the tell tale signs of having an underactive thryroid.  Then I'm thinking well FFS, I'm also aging and doesn't your hair typically start to thin then also due to hormonal changes?  

Anyway, Rick would be my hero also.  Tom was actually with me for the appointment as I was dropping him off elsewhere afterwards.  Had I told him this then I bet he would have done something similar lol.  

I tried searching for a female doctor yesterday but couldn't find one which was in my plan and fit my particular criteria.  There are certain hospitals I want them affiliated with, they have to be board certified,  and I look at their schooling too.  I have a BIL that is a surgeon, and have learned a lot over the years on how to assess if a doctor is going to be good or not.  The schools matter a great deal.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dipped under 100kg again today, even yesterday I did gain weight, even staying in my calorie budget, sometimes weight goes up without reason.

This morning my waist was all time low though, yesterday it was lot higher than day before yesterday, always makes that weird jump before there is decrease in weight.

I really would like to be below 100kg permanently before end of month, but I'm sure that will not happen, it will take more time, but every dip below is nice.

I'm looking forward more of change in body composure, decreasing fat percentage and gaining muscle is what I try, not so much of weight loss, but currently I have to loose weight until I'm in proper weight range to start building muscle.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My waist goes up usually day before I see nice drop in my weight the very next morning of waist increase, it is bit funny how things work.
That's very interesting. Im going to be checking if that happens to me.
It's Monday in Australia. I lost 300 gms this week and my waist is the same.

Good luck everybody.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Monday here now, too. Lost two pounds since last Monday. (I'm two-pounding myself to death!
)

Tammat, in case I I haven't told you lately, I think you're an amazing person. All the stuff you do with Rohan and everything you keep up with. Good job, woman! And keep up the excellent work! 

JTbo, keep it up, but please be careful! You are rocking it, too!

Good job, everybody!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost same weight as week ago, but I have been losing bit of weight really as my weight did go up after last monday.

I have not gone much farther than 20% deficit so decrease in weight is slower, but I have been trying to get proper nutrition and I think I have lost some fat and gained some muscle instead of change in weight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I haven't done any measurements in a while, but I'm able to fit into some pants that I'd not been wearing because they were a bit too tight. Today, I have on a pair of black Dockers that I haven't worn since last winter sometime (partly because I don't wear a lot of black during the summer months, but partly because they were a little too tight). They're now actually a bit loose and that's a good thing.

So even if the weight isn't coming off as quickly as we would like, and even if the scales are acting funky from time to time, if your clothes are feeling looser, or you're wearing something you hadn't been wearing, that still means you're on the right track.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday here now, too. Lost two pounds since last Monday. (I'm two-pounding myself to death! :lol3: )

Tammat, in case I I haven't told you lately, I think you're an amazing person. All the stuff you do with Rohan and everything you keep up with. Good job, woman! And keep up the excellent work! 

JTbo, keep it up, but please be careful! You are rocking it, too!

Good job, everybody!
Awe thanks so much. I think you are an amazing person yourself :D
I think we should all be proud of ourselves. We have not given up. We are going to make it. Rome was not built in a day ;)

My jeans are fitting again now too. They are even comfortable and that is the way they are going to stay.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My scale is telling my weight is going up, I find it bit odd as my eating is not that bad, I'm certainly having deficit but things are not moving to correct direction.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My weight has gone up 800gms and my waist has stayed the same. I am exercising to grow muscle and this is exactly what is meant to happen for me. This is the very first time it has ever happened. Woo Hoo!!

The scales will move @JTbo just hang in there mate.
Well done Mrs B.

Good luck everyone else.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations, people! Tammat, you are doing exactly as you should be. Excellent!

Kudos Mrs. B!

I'm sorry JTbo....are you sure your scales are correct? You're doing everything you can! Plateaus can be really nasty sometimes and it can take a while to break thru.....keep it up!

I have "broken down" into another decade. I've been playing with the 140s now for the last couple weeks.....getting down to 149.8 and then back up above 150. Well, I'm down far enough into 140s that I don't really consider it playing around anymore. I'm there. I remember how excited Pat was when she would break a decade! My goal right now is 135, so I'm getting there.....two pounds at a time. 

People are noticing, too. Several people at work have said things, so you can tell now. And I'm finally starting to see my cheekbones again.

(I went for groceries yesterday. The first thing Dear Richard asked me when he texted me was: Did you get anything sweet?  Well, you know what? I didn't. And honestly? I didn't even think about anything sweet. I didn't go down the cookie aisle. I didn't go down the ice cream freezer aisle. And I went down the snack aisle simply to grab a bag of pretzels. I didn't even think about it. Rick wasn't amused, but darn it, we have apple dumplings in the freezer if he really needs a sweet fix. And the holidays are coming up. I told him to deal...he said that's the last time he's ever letting me go for groceries by myself. I'm really good about not bringing that kind of food into the house....but once it's there, I swear it calls to me. And I can hear it, clear as a bell!
)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

People are noticing, too. Several people at work have said things, so you can tell now. And I'm finally starting to see my cheekbones again.
This! I always loved when that started to happen!  You must be incredibly pleased with yourself!

I think (I say think because still not sure if my scale is right or not) I'm finally starting to shed some weight.  As of this morning, I'm down 12 pounds from when I started up again about 3 months ago.  So, pretty much 1 pound per week which is what my goal was.  I know I can't do it faster - I'm concentrating on just eating healthier and making better choices overall.  Like, I started to eat 1/2 a whole wheat bagel instead of an entire regular one.  Those empty white carbs really needed to be cut back and once I started weighing food again I was pretty much horrified at how much a normal sized bagel actually is!  

I've also started eating some vegetarian lunches several times a week which is getting my fiber intake up considerably.  Yesterday, I had a salad which was lentils, roasted spicy butternut squash and broccolini, slivered almonds, raisins and a drizzle of yogurt dressing. Was fantastic, flavorful and filling. There's a new delivery place by my office which is run by actual chefs that are known in the NYC area; it's a small start up.  You order online and it arrives in about 1/2 hour - and the choices are so much healthier than anywhere else.  $12 (not bad by NY standards for a meal) gets you a nice sized meal which includes delivery and a small (very thin) maple cookie.  I try and skip the cookie but it's SO small that I've built it in as my treat a few times a week. 

Our convenience food intake has dropped a lot which means less fat, less salt, less carbs, less, well everything not good for me.  I think Tom is enjoying the switch; he loves when I cook and even he says he appetite for junk is declining.  So that means I'm not even buying treats for him which like Winchester says - always will wind up calling out your name too.

I've made some interesting discoveries along the way such as I really dislike inexpensive candies.  So, all that leftover candy from Halloween has been brought to the office lol.  Let them eat it - it would have just been chucked in the garbage otherwise.

Oh and I'm tracking in My Fitness Pal and Weight Watchers.  Another motivator and helpful to be able to see my nutrition and read the community boards.

Over all pleased with myself right now and hoping I can continue the trend.  I find I start losing motivation around the 3 month mark but right now it's not an issue.  I'll take that!

Last I still allow myself to enjoy things which aren't "plan" every couple of weeks or so.  Tonight, it's a late night for us so most likely we'll head off and pick up burgers - but not a fast food burger. I'm just building the calories into what I eat earlier in the day to make sure I keep as close to my daily goal as possible.

Good lucky everyone!  

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been slipping more lately, too much sweets, too much calories.

Weight has been decreasing faster.

Sometimes there just is no logic.

I have been staying more and more below 100kg marker now, scale lies so much that I can't be certain of what exact weight is, but there seem to be now more samples occuring below 100kg than above 100kg, so I would say that finally I'm getting below that 100kg, which has been taking much longer than I was hoping, it is about two weeks since I saw first time below 100kg reading, but it is now perhaps getting more permanently below 100kg.

Long term deficit is only 9% for this month, so there is room for improvement for sure.

Waist measurement is showing decrease though, so maybe there is more change than scale tells, I can always wish! :D

I try to keep up protein intake and that is causing deficit to be less than I would hope.

For example today I would need to eat 145 grams of protein to meet my usage, exercise causes protein demand to go up.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a good week. My weight on the scale goes up and down. This morning it's 400gms down from last Monday. My waist is staying the same. I'm still not eating grains, legumes or sugar. This works for me, I feel great. I too had compliments this week. Two different people told me I looked fit. One of them was today. My goal is to look fit so I'm taking that as a compliment ;) oh and my tight jeans are a smidge less tighter.
Good work everybody.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Good job, Tammat!

I'm hanging in there. I did gain 4 ounces since last week, but considering I didn't walk much at all and we had the pizza yesterday, I'll take it. I can probably work those 4 ounces off today.....going to try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.