The Weight Loss Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Karen! Love your picture!

Curlyqpgh, be still my heart! I dearly love Trader Joe's. You lucky, lucky girl.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already belong to the Weight Loss social group here on TCS and am very active on another website, but I'd like to give support here if I can, and don't mind listing my progress (or lack of) on a weekly basis.  I will not be sharing my current weight, but will say my goal is to be a slightly plump 140-150 (I've shrunk to 5'4" so the "I look sexy" weight of 144-154 is now too high).
I'm approaching 58 next month (sigh).
  I follow a lower carbohydrate diet with primal leanings, have gone gluten-free and now count calories as well (let me recommend www.myfitnesspal.com - fantastic!!!  I use a Fitbit Flex to track how far I walk while awake, and to track calories burned during the day, great tool if you don't mind wearing this 'bracelet" , which I don't.
I've more weight to lose than I am comfortable saying, but have lost as of my last average almost 93 lbs. 
I LOVE to cook, and refuse to believe that has to stop, I just am adjusting what I make, and the portions I eat :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is it to late to join? My husband died two months ago, and he had cancer. The only way he would eat is if I would eat something with him.
Needless to say I gained weight and he lost. Anyhow I Need something to get me feeling good about myself and get me out of this rut. It has been very stressful ,but I am ready to start moving on a little at a time. What better way than to start taking care of myself. After all I have my 12 cats and two dogs who depend on me now.

Welcome. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Oh my god. If I start eating french fries nothing can stop me................ >

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
In true Tamela style I have jumped right in and set myself the hardest challenge first up. So I'm toning it back. My challenge this week is to bake a slice and let it cool completely before I cut into it. Baby steps.

:lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3:

We will do our initial weigh-in/measurements, etc. this coming Friday, on the 21st? And that's when the challenge will start as well?
Yes, does that sound reasonable? :) I'm pointing my finger at you to select the next challenge by the way, so start thinking. ;)

I'll be able to start with full steam on July 2nd. I'm taking a short, five day vacation later this month, and am just going to eat whatever.

In the meantime, I'm starting out by getting back into the habit of packing a lunch. I work in a grocery store (Trader Joe's), and if I don't pack lunch, I buy something from the store to eat, which will usually be prepackaged and carby since that's what's easiest and quickest with a 30 minute lunch. I'll probably also save some money by packing lunch. More money for cat food.

After vacation, I plan to start back up with more movement in my life. I get plenty of lifting at work, especially on the 4pm to midnight shifts, but I am super lazy about cardio.

I can relate to the binge eating, as I do this with carby stuff. It's weird. It's like food is just going in and not doing anything, like I'm eating air. I can almost see myself from the outside and wonder what's going on. I'm now keeping string cheese, canned tuna in olive oil, and macadamia nuts on hand as snack food. These types of protein/fat combos don't trigger binge impulses in me, so I'll satisfy the snack urge without losing control.

Feeding me is almost sounding a little like feeding my cat.
Enjoy your vacation! :D

I am a total carboholic. Give me fresh bread, butter and cheese and I am in heaven. :lol3:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I already belong to the Weight Loss social group here on TCS and am very active on another website, but I'd like to give support here if I can, and don't mind listing my progress (or lack of) on a weekly basis.  I will not be sharing my current weight, but will say my goal is to be a slightly plump 140-150 (I've shrunk to 5'4" so the "I look sexy" weight of 144-154 is now too high).

I'm approaching 58 next month (sigh).

I follow a lower carbohydrate diet with primal leanings, have gone gluten-free and now count calories as well (let me recommend www.myfitnesspal.com - fantastic!!!  I use a Fitbit Flex to track how far I walk while awake, and to track calories burned during the day, great tool if you don't mind wearing this 'bracelet" , which I don't.

I've more weight to lose than I am comfortable saying, but have lost as of my last average almost 93 lbs. 

I LOVE to cook, and refuse to believe that has to stop, I just am adjusting what I make, and the portions I eat :)

93 pounds is very impressive! :clap: I still may look into that fitbit.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you guys just remove the temptation alltogether. Just don't bake or buy cookies, and all those things that you know are bad for you. and replace them with your favorite fruits. True it might be more expensive, but health comes first no? or if you really need to bake, at least get the whole wheat flour, not the refined white one, and make healthier cookies. 

Feeding me is almost sounding a little like feeding my cat.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you guys just remove the temptation alltogether. Just don't bake or buy cookies, and all those things that you know are bad for you. and replace them with your favorite fruits. True it might be more expensive, but health comes first no? or if you really need to bake, at least get the whole wheat flour, not the refined white one, and make healthier cookies. 
Yes I know that trick well. The thing is my children have been begging me to bake. I have been buying store bought goodies for them but they don't taste as good plus they are loaded with preservatives artificial everything ect. It's not really fair to keep denying it to them just because I can't help myself. Plus baking is one of my passions. I love the whole process. It's what I did with my Mum as a kid so it's special.

curlyqpgh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Karen! Love your picture!

Curlyqpgh, be still my heart! I dearly love Trader Joe's. You lucky, lucky girl.
It's an awesome place to work! A living wage, affordable health care for anyone working more than 21hrs a week, vacation time, a discount, and a place that respects employees. I'm fortunate.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furmonster Mum. I agree " everything in moderation". Other people do it so we can. Can't we?

Karen, I am reluctant to tell you what slice is. I want to support you not tempt you.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I know that trick well. The thing is my children have been begging me to bake. I have been buying store bought goodies for them but they don't taste as good plus they are loaded with preservatives artificial everything ect. It's not really fair to keep denying it to them just because I can't help myself. Plus baking is one of my passions. I love the whole process. It's what I did with my Mum as a kid so it's special.
Hope that didn't come across as rude to you icy87. I agree totally with you. That is by far the best advice. Clear out all the temptations in your house. Sure they are out there everywhere but if they are not looking at you every time you open the pantry or the fridge then that's a great start. We have to consider the others in the house too though unfortunately.

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No it's not rude at all. I suggested it because it works for me. When I moved here my husband had ice cream regularly in the freezer. I had to tell him that we can't buy it anymore. Along with other things, having a bowl of ice cream every night made me gain a lot of weight in less than a yr.

I don't do any baking at all. I'm not much into cooking. Now that I am married I started to learn in efforts to look after our health by preparing meals from scratch. But I really don't like cooking.... I literally do it out of love lol. But my husband is happy with what I make so I've learned to like it... A bit.

I just know people bake stuff with healthier ingredients. Like vegan cookies. I have NEVER eaten one or baked one myself but some ppl like them so maybe try that instead??

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
See I love to cook and bake. So even though we don't buy a lot of cookies and such at the store, there's usually a recipe around that calls to me and I have to try it. When I was actively trying to lose weight before, I simply didn't bake that much. And then Rick would buy the stuff, either at the grocery store or from the snack machines at work. I hate that....it's a waste of money and you don't know what's in that stuff. If he's going to eat it anyway, at least I can try to make it healthier. But then I'd scarf at it until it was gone. Frustrating.

And it's not as simple as not bringing it into the house, Icy. When there are no chips or snacks, I will find something. Even if it's peanut butter bread. I will find something. Even if it's pecans from the freezer. Even if it's chili from the freezer. I will eat pretty much anything. This is a habit that's really difficult to break. It's really better for me not to eat anything. Not to start. Because once I start, I don't stop. While I can say, "everything in moderation", I can't do it.

I started going through my diet cookbooks and am going to start making up my menus and such again. That way, I still get to cook, but it's healthier foods. And since the doctor put dear Richard on cholesterol meds (and Rick refused to take them), I think he's looking at things differently. That may help me in the long run.

I'm really quite pathetic.

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See I love to cook and bake. So even though we don't buy a lot of cookies and such at the store, there's usually a recipe around that calls to me and I have to try it. When I was actively trying to lose weight before, I simply didn't bake that much. And then Rick would buy the stuff, either at the grocery store or from the snack machines at work. I hate that....it's a waste of money and you don't know what's in that stuff. If he's going to eat it anyway, at least I can try to make it healthier. But then I'd scarf at it until it was gone. Frustrating.

And it's not as simple as not bringing it into the house, Icy. When there are no chips or snacks, I will find something. Even if it's peanut butter bread. I will find something. Even if it's pecans from the freezer. Even if it's chili from the freezer. I will eat pretty much anything. This is a habit that's really difficult to break. It's really better for me not to eat anything. Not to start. Because once I start, I don't stop. While I can say, "everything in moderation", I can't do it.

I started going through my diet cookbooks and am going to start making up my menus and such again. That way, I still get to cook, but it's healthier foods. And since the doctor put dear Richard on cholesterol meds (and Rick refused to take them), I think he's looking at things differently. That may help me in the long run.

I'm really quite pathetic.
No, I don't think you are pathetic.  My goal, and desire, has been to get back to a normal weight, and maintain my love of cooking.  I know me - family recipes, cooking for those I love, are important to me, and I don't believe saying "I will never eat x,y,z again" will work for me. The way of eating plan I chose (because diets don't work...this is how I will eat for the rest of my life)allows me to have *anything* - but in moderation, and in a balanced way.  Knowing that, I can walk by bake goods - no internal struggle, no being mad at myself because if only I was like everyone else, I could have 1 of  whatever and not be overweight - knowing I can have one at a meal where I plan to have it and work it in as part of the day's food.
With having added paying attention to calories - just as a way of portion control - because I am a Gary Taubes and Dr. Peter Attia fan and do not believe that calories in=calories out, I make a variety of recipes...last night's Cuban-Style Picadillo - dh measured out 1/6th of the finished recipe so I would be sure to have 1 serving.  I used myfitnesspal.com to input the recipe into my recipes section, and it calculated the sodium, protein, carb/fat and calories of the dish for me.
Consider myfitnesspal - you can then input your recipes (they also have a free ap for your phone to track when eating out or on the road) and figure out exactly what the calories and other stats are for the dish per serving.   I find it very helpful.
Anyhoo - I have also found, to my great surprise - I can have chocolate bars, cookies, ice cream in the house - knowing I can have some of what ever carby item I like, once a day, means it just doesn't call to me.  To make having ice cream easy, I often simply buy single serve little cups.  Then, I get to eat the "whole" thing, and I find that this size is enough. 
I've lost my weight to date doing the above, lowering my A1C (I'm prediabetic), and forestalling statins for now.

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well at least start by exercising. It does make a huge difference, specially if you're like me and could spend most of the day sitting playing pc games or watching tv, laying down reading a book, etc. I don't like to exercise, so I prefer taking classes like Zumba, in order to have fun while doing it. Because if I go out for a run or if I use the treadmill/elliptical I'm always thinking I'm soooo tired. And it's only been 5 mins. I feel that it's a much bigger toll on my self- control.

I know gym memberships are expensive but some are not that bad, just gotta look for one close and that fits ur bill. If you can afford a personal trainer, definitely do it. If you have a Curves near by, try it out as well. You can go the first day for free. I used to go to curves everyday at my home country. It works, and its nice its only girls, and u generally don't see those girls with the perfect bodies there so you're not self conscious. They also don't have mirrors.

If you can afford the gym but don't want to spend that money because you think it's stupid, well... The only reason I do it is because I can't count on myself to work out at my own initiative. If I'm paying, I hate the thought of not going... And wasting my money... So I go.

But if you can count on your will and self motivation I DEFINITELY suggest doing ZWOW. I tried it for a 2 weeks before I lost to self motivations and I got ppl telling me I look thinner and stuff. ZWOW is an online gym basically. Zuzka is a hot trainer, that shows you how to get as hot as her, and she does all the exercises with you. So you just follow her. Her exercises are generally 20 mins but very intense.

And like I said before, because I hate to exercise, to me it's a lot of work, so eating healthy comes with it mainly because "I'm not working so hard for nothing". That's what I keep telling myself and stops me from ordering pizza.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well at least start by exercising. It does make a huge difference, specially if you're like me and could spend most of the day sitting playing pc games or watching tv, laying down reading a book, etc. I don't like to exercise, so I prefer taking classes like Zumba, in order to have fun while doing it. Because if I go out for a run or if I use the treadmill/elliptical I'm always thinking I'm soooo tired. And it's only been 5 mins. I feel that it's a much bigger toll on my self- control.

I know gym memberships are expensive but some are not that bad, just gotta look for one close and that fits ur bill. If you can afford a personal trainer, definitely do it. If you have a Curves near by, try it out as well. You can go the first day for free. I used to go to curves everyday at my home country. It works, and its nice its only girls, and u generally don't see those girls with the perfect bodies there so you're not self conscious. They also don't have mirrors.

If you can afford the gym but don't want to spend that money because you think it's stupid, well... The only reason I do it is because I can't count on myself to work out at my own initiative. If I'm paying, I hate the thought of not going... And wasting my money... So I go.

But if you can count on your will and self motivation I DEFINITELY suggest doing ZWOW. I tried it for a 2 weeks before I lost to self motivations and I got ppl telling me I look thinner and stuff. ZWOW is an online gym basically. Zuzka is a hot trainer, that shows you how to get as hot as her, and she does all the exercises with you. So you just follow her. Her exercises are generally 20 mins but very intense.

And like I said before, because I hate to exercise, to me it's a lot of work, so eating healthy comes with it mainly because "I'm not working so hard for nothing". That's what I keep telling myself and stops me from ordering pizza.
I'm glad you have found out what works best for you. :) You really need to keep in mind though what works best for you does not work best for everyone. I can easily afford a gym membership, but don't have one because I hate it. You are ahving success there, so good for you, but please don't try to suggest that I am foolish by not going to the gym. I walk, which doesn't work for you. I walk outside and love it. :dk: Different strokes for different folks. Any movement is better than none.

Before you start calling people out for not exercising, perhaps you would like to check out the Exercise Motivation thread :

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258873/the-exercise-motivation-thread

You'll see that a fair amount of people that are posting here, are getting plenty of exercise as well. Some of us also have physical limitations that don't allow us to do intense Zumba, etc. I have been having issues with my knee and wouldn't even consider doing something at that level until I get a significant amount of weight off and even then it may very well be an issue. You've got to walk before you can run and some of us are in the walk stage and pretty proud of what we have been accomplishing up to this point.

As far as eating, in the past I have lost a lot by going the complete deprivation route. I've also falling off the wagon faster and harder that way. I'm hoping I'm in this for the long haul this time and I am allowing myself some treats. I eat pizza sometimes, but not half of one like I used to. I have ice cream sometimes, but only a spoonful or two and not a giant bowl. Yes, I am losing at a slower rate that I could be, but slow and steady wins the race sometimes. :dk: I had a glass of wine last night. :dk: Alcohol has a huge amount of calories. It's all about moderation. We don't go out to eat as much as we used to, but we still do. I watch what I order.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OK, ladies! The first challenge starts tomorrow. :clap:

Just as a reminder:

Take one of your bad eating habits and not do it for the week. For some it may be ice cream, or sneaking potato chips, or you may want to skip sugary drinks, snacks between meals, fast food drive thru, Big Macs, etc. If we can give it up for the week, maybe we can give it up a little longer?

For me, I have had a habit lately of running into a bakery and getting a cupcake or a piece of bakery pizza or even driving through Taco Bell and getting a chicken quesadilla. I've been doing it 1-2 times a week, I want to not run in or drive through for any of these impulsive snacks/meals for a week.

Also, it's scale or measurement time! Some of us know what our weight and measurements were last Friday, so will report the difference, either positive or negative. Everyone else is to take their initial weight and measurements. :)

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you have found out what works best for you.
You really need to keep in mind though what works best for you does not work best for everyone. I can easily afford a gym membership, but don't have one because I hate it. You are ahving success there, so good for you, but please don't try to suggest that I am foolish by not going to the gym. I walk, which doesn't work for you. I walk outside and love it.
Different strokes for different folks. Any movement is better than none.

Before you start calling people out for not exercising, perhaps you would like to check out the Exercise Motivation thread :

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258873/the-exercise-motivation-thread

You'll see that a fair amount of people that are posting here, are getting plenty of exercise as well. Some of us also have physical limitations that don't allow us to do intense Zumba, etc. I have been having issues with my knee and wouldn't even consider doing something at that level until I get a significant amount of weight off and even then it may very well be an issue. You've got to walk before you can run and some of us are in the walk stage and pretty proud of what we have been accomplishing up to this point.

As far as eating, in the past I have lost a lot by going the complete deprivation route. I've also falling off the wagon faster and harder that way. I'm hoping I'm in this for the long haul this time and I am allowing myself some treats. I eat pizza sometimes, but not half of one like I used to. I have ice cream sometimes, but only a spoonful or two and not a giant bowl. Yes, I am losing at a slower rate that I could be, but slow and steady wins the race sometimes.
I had a glass of wine last night.
Alcohol has a huge amount of calories. It's all about moderation. We don't go out to eat as much as we used to, but we still do. I watch what I order.
Abyssmom, Im not calling out anyone or saying that you're foolish for not going to the gym. I never said that and I'm sorry if it offended you that wasn't my intention. I'm only trying to give suggestions and encourage discussion thats all. 

Also about the pizza, I can't eat it. If I do I don't lose any weight. Maybe you can keep eating it and still see loses but not me. I love pizza (and ice cream), and right before we started dieting my husband and I found the best pizza place close to where we live. But when I know that the pizza is over a 1000 calories, and I have to eat less than 1200 a day to lose weight, I just cannot afford the pizza. In a few months, when I reach my goal, I'll have a slice or 2 to celebrate, but until then If im really serious about losing weight (and I am) i cant have it. 

I eat rice, and I have half a flatbread from cosi with my salad. I'll probably have to give up that flatbread if I want to reach my goal but for now Im eating it. Those are my carb pleasures while I diet and they've kept me happy. I'm not syaing you do the same, Im just saying I'm not depriving myself that much, but I want to lose weight, therefore I have to change a few things, and some of them I need to banish from my lifestyle. That doesn't mean I'll never eat them again... just not as often... and more as a.. celebration sort of thing. 

---- 

Btw I'll post my weight tomorrow. As you know my real goal is 110lbs. I would settle with 120 but I really want to go for 110. I haven't done any measuring tho... I'll do that tomorrow when I weight myself I guess... ><

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Friday morning in Australia. This will keep me on my toes if I have to go first. I am ecstatic to report I have lost 400 grams. That's just under a pound, I think? It says .88 pound? My aim is a pound a week. Yay!!!
I also use myfitnesspal and I find it very helpful.
If I can do it then so can you girls. weekends are tough for me and probably most of us, hang in there, be strong. Hop on the scales, jot it down and next week we can all cheer for each other. I have already felt supported by you guys. I imagine you all with me as I peer into the fridge and pantry!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thursdays are going to be my challenging days, I think.  It's "Lunch With The Gals" day.  That means going out.

I come from a family of restauranteurs, so I have a pret-ty good idea of how fast the calories add up.

Today is double difficult.  It's our 15th wedding anniversary.  So, not only did I go out with the gals for lunch, but we will be going out for sushi for dinner.  I looooooove sushi.  So in anticipation, I kept lunch relatively light.  We went for shabu shabu, which is kind of like deconstructed soup.  I had a few udon noodles, a few pieces of meat, lots of veggies, and passed on the rice.

Measurements tomorrow...  before or after exercise?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Measurements tomorrow...  before or after exercise?
I would suggest do your measurements first thing in the morning. I'm guessing this but I would say its similar to weighing yourself. During the day we can hold fluid and bloat ect..
You Did a great job at lunch. Well done. Hope dinner goes well for you too. And Happy Anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.