The Weight Loss Support Group - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes. I will PM you in a bit-question about this-Anemia.

you want meat source with iron. Dark green veggies also have iron If I remember correctly. I also wonder if certain minerals work best pared together. I have to do some research. If you have anemia-you may want to cut back a bit on high intensity exercise. you can still do your strength training but don't go heavy on the weights. you need your red cells to oxynate your blood. I applaud you for even having the energy to do all you do.

I found this list about protein sources: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/10/03/complete-vs-incomplete-protein-sources/ this one has a few examples of how to make a complete protein source from incomplete ones. (non animal sources)

Eggs are good source-watch out that you don't eat too many=gives me the farts :p I found out the hard way so I only eat 2 a day and this doesn't get to be a problem. the issue is I love egg salad-and well..I can eat it right out of the bowl (egg/mayo/celery/pepper)

And the multigrain breads have protein but by adding peanut butter this makes a complete protein at least it was how I was taught how to eat to build muscle in high school-not sure if it has changed much.

I hope they can find out why you are having anemia. This sounds upsetting and worry about you. take it EASY!!!

about the weight-yes when I was down to 128 lb I looked HORRIBLE. everyone thought I was on drugs..nope. It was my prescription meds that just cut my appetite..and the doctor didn't notice that for 3 months in a row I was dropping 10lb a month..I weaned off it and gave them the middle finger last year and hense I gained all my weight back. But I do remember my stomach hurted every morning-I lived on crackers because everything else made me barf. And I hate those protein bars-They add just as much sugar to them-good luck trying to find protein bars without artificial sugars or other substitutes. So I have been using nuts and chicken for now..already sick of it but what are you going to do?

Keep us posted.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also fats=yes they are important. more important than the big wigs want you to believe. fats help keep skin healthy looking-helps with organ function believe it or not. I notice a big difference in my digestive issues when I don't consume enough fats.

most animal sources already have a bit of fat-as there is fat in the muscle but it's not a huge amount..

olive oils/nut oils are a good option. Good ol BUTTER. not low fat crap. those are man made materials. you want good old fashioned churned butter made from milk. I use kate's butter made right here in Maine. I swear by it. stays fresh and doesn't have that funky taste-I was told to buy salted butter so you can leave it in the butter dish on the counter.

Cottage cheese is a good source of proteins and calcium etc. personally I don't care for it but mixed in something I would eat it. I prefer ricotta chese over that stuff.

Coconut oil is the latest rage. It's good for you too.

I think it was Handsome kitty who recommended to me to eat more fats-I was eating carbs and meat but no fats and hungry ALL the time..now that I have added some olive oil with my chicken/veggies it's helping.

I think the mainstream diet of low fat low carb is what is making us have issues..the human body needs carbs to make energy but we also need protein to build muscle and for organ function.

I have added almonds in my oatmeal. it helps keep the appetite for another hour. normally I eat oatmeal and an hour later I am STARVING. now it's about 90 min to 2 hours. I just add the nuts into the water then add oatmeal-I buy those prepackaged steel cut oatmeal from quaker. I don't like their maple sugar-its all sugar. I get the berry one.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My doctor is trying to get me eat less protein, I'm at around 100 grams a day, which he thinks is horrible lot, but according to science such is not a case, maybe doctor is vegan and tries to force everyone to low protein diet?

Anyway I'm having issues with kidneys too, doctor claims that it is because I eat too much protein, I don't think so, because 80 grams is near minimum and around 150 grams is upper limit for me, of course limit is individual as lighter persons have lower limits.

I should go back to pizza diet, it is so much better in taste and weight management wise than anything else.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes sometimes kidney issues have problems with protein. it loads the kidneys BUT then you have muscle wasting...I don't think 100 is a bad number. Especially when you are chopping wood or those workouts on your bike that you do. Have you noticed a difference in energy? Personally I need equal carbs and protein otherwise I am starving all the time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
With everything that you do, JTbo, that doesn't sound like too much protein for you? 

I have noticed just in the past two weeks of purposely increasing my protein levels that I am feeling better overall and I seem to not be as hungry as I was. Maybe it's just in my mind. 

I had my hair appointment last night. She says that, while she has noticed that my hair is thinning in the front, it seems to be OK in the back and that I still have a full head of hair. But she understands my concern and she even said that she wanted to tell me last month that she thought I was getting too thin. 
 I can't win. She is leaning more toward thyroid, simply because she had the same symptoms and it was her thyroid. We'll find out in January.

Interestingly, while I seem to be having hair problems, my nails are still strong and doing well. And she noticed that last night, too. She held my hand up and said about my "claws". Hair problems usually coincide with nail problems, too. I don't know.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

With everything that you do, JTbo, that doesn't sound like too much protein for you? 

I have noticed just in the past two weeks of purposely increasing my protein levels that I am feeling better overall and I seem to not be as hungry as I was. Maybe it's just in my mind. 

I had my hair appointment last night. She says that, while she has noticed that my hair is thinning in the front, it seems to be OK in the back and that I still have a full head of hair. But she understands my concern and she even said that she wanted to tell me last month that she thought I was getting too thin. 
 I can't win. She is leaning more toward thyroid, simply because she had the same symptoms and it was her thyroid. We'll find out in January.

Interestingly, while I seem to be having hair problems, my nails are still strong and doing well. And she noticed that last night, too. She held my hand up and said about my "claws". Hair problems usually coincide with nail problems, too. I don't know.
It could be stress....My hairdresser told me that it takes 3 months for stress to show it's effect on your hair. So what happened 3 months ago could be affecting your hair follicles, now...I am thinking Jackie....

It could also be from some medication you are taking.. blood pressure meds, especially...

I am taking some Biotin, to prevent hair loss and such...

I lose a ton of hair, daily, but it does not seem to effect the overall amount that I have.. perhaps a bit of thinning, but not all that much...at least my hairdresser has not mentioned it..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I really hate to blame everything on The Beast, but......yeah. I think so, too. And we lost BooBoo back in September. That one really hurt. It always hurts to lose a kitty, but losing Boo, well, that was just horrible for both of us.

I've been taking Biotin now for over a year. 5,000 mg a day.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rode 40 minutes with bicycle on ice today, I think that I need to increase air pressure as it was so hard to go even slowly, certainly it cannot be my lack of exercising...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby and I haven't lost any more weight. But we haven't gained any either. That is a good thing. We have allowed ourselves some splurges. But we are loyal to the exercise. :lol3:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too need to lay off the Lindt truffles. someone sent us a gallon bag..omg. It's not unusual for me to eat 6 or more at a time. There's 5 left last I looked. Jon will eat the rest of them. LOL.

I haven't got on the scale but I haven't gone up in size so at least I am maintaining. This month is hard because so much going on that just not enough time in the day. Gulp.

We just had a holiday dinner for our lunch. I was good-I only ate half of it and got a huge plate of salad. I am stuffed. not sure I will do a workout at lunch. Too stuffed! Christmas be gone already!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gained about a pound from week ago, might be more though as my scales are not the most accurate it seems, or maybe it is my very old wooden flooring, however I have bought many scales and all tend to be hugely inaccurate/sensitive to position and leaning etc.

Several times a week I have eaten at least pound of chocolate and about half pound licorice, that is 2-4 pounds of chocolate in a week alone, hopefully I finally die from it.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@foxxycat, thank you! I'm going to look for them at the markets around here. 

I googled for foods that are higher in protein and I keep the list in the kitchen. Also started eating a higher protein bar in addition to my morning bowl of oatmeal and skim milk. I started eating a bit more beef (and trying to balance that out with more dark orange and green vegetables). I'm hard-boiling three eggs and eating one with my lunch Mon, Wed, and Fri. I love liver and I think I'm going to try eating calves liver once a week for a while. I like raisins, but I understand the raisin/sugar thing, too. 

Have a doctor appt, but it's not until January 3. It's to check for possible thyroid problems and/or anemia. They'll have to take blood.

My hair is thinning drastically and my son thinks it's because I'm not getting enough protein and fats. You can only go low-fat, low-everything for so long before it starts to take its toll. I've been taking 5,000 mg of Biotin every day now for over a year, but I don't know that it's really doing much good. Son took a good look at my dietary regimen and he was more than a little frustrated. He thinks I need more protein and more fat (good fats). 

I also have pretty much all the symptoms of anemia, which wouldn't surprise me. The last time I really dieted, I had blood work that showed that anemia was just starting to show up. My doctor told me, "You know, I never thought I'd say this to you, but you need to start eating! Something!" And I think that's true again. I was even getting dizzy if I got out of bed or stood up quickly. Since I've upped my calorie content and started eating more in the way of protein (i.e. more meat), the dizziness has gone away.

I'm right around 140 pounds and people have been telling me that I should probably gain a few pounds. It's pretty evident in my face and one of my co-workers told me that I'm starting to look a little unhealthy. Somebody else at work asked him if I was OK because I was really getting thin. Yeah, my doctor says 130 pounds, but I'm 61 years old, too, and 130 pounds at 20 years old is good. At 61, maybe not so much. I've also noticed that my skin feels dry (which is partially the weather). I don't see the unhealthiness. To me, I'm still pudgy. To others? No. Not at all. So I'm trying to rethink things. 

Anyway, doctor appt in in January. Meanwhile I am trying to up my protein and fats to see if maybe that will help.

Thanks for the info on the chicken patties. 29 grams of protein is good! 
Haven't read everything but I need to get to work.  Could be Hashimoto's or Graves disease.  Thinning hair can be thyroid and/or liver.  Quick start to getting better - go gluten free, dairy free and soy free.  People with thyroid issues have trouble digesting gluten, lactose and casein (sp?); soy effects the hormones that work with your thyroid.  There is a facebook group called Hashimoto's 411.  You have to request membership but you will learn a lot from the members who are working on getting well.

I have gone a little farther than this with my diet and I feel so much healthier.  Sadly I have not completely given up soy because it is in chocolate - I have found a few brands of soy free chocolates though. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was down to 151.4 but am back up to 153.something.  A friend sent me a Christmas stocking with chocolate . . .  need I say more.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Year ago my waist was 102cm, at September my waist was ~90cm when tolerance for error is accounted for, now it is 104cm thanks to therapist causing big depression on me because of unprofessional way she did work, only reason I visit therapist is because medical professionals will not accept that everything happened to me is not causing depression, there is other issue with memory they refuse to study, so thanks a lot for them again.

So weight is up roughly 14kg from September, but slowly I'm starting to get back on saddle and riding, just another wasted year.

For next year I will stop all visits to any so called medical care, I rather die than have anything to do with them, all they manage to do is cause harm to me, only in acute emergency there might be better chance by visiting them, but even that is sometimes questionable.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So overall how did everyone's year of weight loss go?  Mine was pretty good but I had (and still do) much to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.