The Weight Loss Support Group - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
thank you Handsome Kitty-That I do=I buy bagged lettuce. I always get broccoli and peppers whole then cut them otherwise they get slimy really fast. If you buy them cut they only stay fresh a day. I tried that once.

We still have another days of rice left. I have to go food shopping tonight-and get some meat. I got plenty of rice and noodles. I got nuts last week. I can't leave the peanutbutter and chocolate alone this week. But I am back at the gym...not that it matters..I can't control myself...I hate yogurt and anything that texture-I just have to buzz on the machines every night to help burn calories...hey I may be bigger but I sure can build up an endurance...that's my long term goal. endurance.

And try to eat more veggies. I buy broccoli  and add it to frozen dinners. I just snap it right off the stalk and then nuke the dinner for my lunches-comes out pretty good. I eat a whole head of broccoli this way. I should try peas and beans. onions too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I think you will like what I did last night Winchester. I love Rice. I can eat it all day long. Jon hates rice or rather he says I don't care for it

Last night I cooked up the last of the hamburger and onions...I had a box of Mexican rice and added seasoning-mixed it all together=YUMMY. I didn't have any frozen vegs otherwise I would have tossed some into a bowl. He didn't eat it. I know he will eat salad but only if I chop it up. I gave him grief the other day-how come you are so helpless? I work and go to the gym then shop and you can't even cut up a salad?! So This week I have to go grocery shopping. And make an effort to use the crockpot. I just don't have time to do it in the morning. I have to leave at 6am and it's a pain. But I could let it cook overnight. I know I need to stop pandering.

At least last night I felt good for cooking rice and burger. I have made him potatoes for weeks. I am TIRED of potatoes...hahaha...he put some pickles on a dish with the rice and burger..sigh...hey at least he cant complain.

I love chop suey. tomatoes and noodles and veg (mush/onion/pep) and mix it all together with parm cheese...he doesn't like pasta unless it's angel hair..the next dish I make is going to be chop suey-I usually cook two types of pasta-one for me and one for him but no more...Today I have chili and rice for my morning lunch (I can't wait to eat lunch-I only eat oatmeal for breakfast) and that's at 10ish. So lunch is a small snack. No wonder I am roaring hungry by 3pm. I can't win.

Tonight is gym then the dreaded grocery store-I have to just communicate better...ask him to cut up said veggies and then mix it when I get home...I just am hating to ask for help..so I do it myself and stew. I know I have to knock it off. At least I am trying to cut down my portions.
That sounds really good. And kudos to you for making it for yourself! You have to take yourself into consideration, too. Congratulations! 

Do you like sugar snap peas? They're really good in a stir-fry! Even just a veggie stir-fry. I also like to cook them just barely to the still hard stage and then dip them in a low-calorie dip. Perfect for a snack with some carrots, broccoli, etc.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@foxxycat Have you seen the Persian or cocktail cucumbers?  I prefer the cocktail ones because they are smaller, I find them at Costco.  They are easy to take and eat whole or cut up for salad.  No peeling needed.  They are also slightly crunchy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the European cukes. But I prefer pickles. I put pickles right into my salad. You can thank Jon for that. He used to chop up:broccoli, black olives. peppers, pickles and pickle juice in it to make it like pickled veggies..then when he met me he still did pickles in it but used this spicy Caesar dressing along with lettuce ontop. He ate that for years for lunch BUT he did raid the snack machine. this man eats 4 herseys with almonds in one sitting when he was working. Now he told me to not buy anymore-they got smaller in size and no longer use whole almonds.

Winchester-I did shop last night but no junk food. I was rooting around last night looking for something yummy to eat. I settled on some trailmix I had left over. I found that if I stay at the gym until 6 then eat when come home-I am not hungry at bedtime. When I was eating dinner at 4 then I was hungry at 8. So that is one thing I need to change.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I love pickles.....I just love pickles. I was making my own when we still grew cucumbers in the garden. Sadly, for some reason, I can no longer grow cukes and I won't buy them to make pickles, since I'm the only one who eats them. Now I'm stuck buying them and they're just not as good as what I can make.

I came home from my meeting last night and had some dinner, but I was really upset when I got home last night (political stuff) and, sad to say, while I didn't binge, I did have an apple dumpling with some low-fat vanilla ice cream. And yeah, my weight this morning showed it. 

Good for you....no junk food! The only thing we've been allowing in the house is Utz Pretzel Nuggets and some Smart Pop! popcorn. Rick has the butter flavor and I have kettle korn; that seems to really help when I need that sweet-salty fix. It also helps me when I'm reading and need something to munch on. Plus, even a whole bag of kettle korn really doesn't have that many calories, so it won't kill the calorie count for the day.  (Unfortunately both Mollipop and The Beast also love kettle korn, so I must share with them; although, what they eat, I don't. Win-win!)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Smart Pop popcorn! I can eat almost an entire bag while I watch a good movie ON Demand....

I have not lost any more weight, nor have I been exercising; however my weight has been pretty much maintained, plus a couple of pounds.   I have been getting kind of lightheaded at times, winded, and hot flashes, wiped out from doing the smallest things. ... I have had low thyroid function for many, many years....this usually happens when it is high, 

I went for my yearly exam with the thyroid doctor.. turns out my thyroid function is too HIGH!! That is why I have been feeling the way I am. I have to decrease the dose of meds and get another blood test after the holidays, late December or early January. 

I guess with this and the busy holiday season, and trying to keep up with cleaning my apartment, I will be busy enough. I feel bad about not going to the gym, but now I know the reason why I have a hard time doing much of anything...

The thyroid discrepensies happened because I lost 20 lbs, and somehow increased my metabolism by exercising...now that the 20 lbs is gone, I have to change the dose of medication..

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As you all know I am not weighing myself right now. I did go shopping yesterday to get some clothes. I went to the thrift stores and found five pairs at one store for 20 dollars. I was so excited two of them had new tags on them all in size 14 but one size 12. Then at another store a more high end consignment shop, they sell aeropostle and tommy and stuff like that I found a pair of boyfriend jeans size 16 and they are on the big side. But so comfortable. They were brand new with tags for 9 dollars. So for the cost of one pair of decent jeans I got six pairs. Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!

I feel like I have come so far in the last year. I only had one pair of jeans and they were to small. They were a size 24. I figured if I can maintain where I am til January I can maybe get to a good size 8 next year. 

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
made it another night without munchies-other than some corn chips-It was hectic last night. So no gym or grocery store but did swing through drive threw and got us some cheap meals. got Jon a piece of cheesecake fromn BK. I don't buy from Mcd anymore. They always cold and take forever. but they do have good salads but overpriced.

anyways this weekend working sat but not sunday. found a recipe for baked mashed potatoe casserole-with cheese and bacon and frenches onions...Jon is the potatoe head. So I will make that for him and cook some rice and hamburg for myself. Got some salad stuff-but didn't want it yesterday. they have these shredded slaw mix-I like to mix it with lettuce and dressing...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok but it's not low fat-it was a commercial for French's onions:

Take a rectangle glass pan-

spray pam on it-

make mashed potatoes-I use pepper/dried milk/butter and mash by hand with skins on

layer the bottom with mashed potatoes-

sprinkle bacon bits

sprinkle cheddar cheese

Sprinkle French's crunchy onions

another layer of mashed tators

sprinkle bacon bits

sprinkle more cheddar cheese

sprinkle French's onions again

bake at 350 until the edges get that crispy pulled away texture from the dish-like 30 min or 40 min.

kind of like shepherds pie but without the beef and corn but instead using cheese, bacon and onions. You can probably put scrambled hamburg with onion/pepper/mushrooms or other stir fry veggies mixed into the hamburger-then put that at the bottom of the pan and then use that layer of potatoes on top.

I LOVE scrambled hamburger with poultry spices-its in the spice lane and looks like chopped onions and green flakes of herbs-it tastes really good...yeah I told you I eat weird things.

little cutie66

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg!! Sounds delicious! ! I'm going to make it this weekend. . Thank you :) and then run on the treadmill. ..lol

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ive found these frozen chicken grilled breasts in the frozen meat department-150 cal for one and 29 grams of protein.

I add this to my tv dinners. I try to stick with rice/veggie combo. I still add a head or half of one broccoli to the dish-I am stuffed afterwards.

I didn't buy junk food for a week..until last night. thanksgiving is the excuse. then it's back to nuts and chicken wings.

I feel I am still gaining pants tighter. but I feel better. getting an hour and half of exercise every day. But I know I have to stop eating so much...gr.... 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas is close, now is time for last push for the year, hardest challenges await you!

From bottom of my heart, I wish that you haven't had struggles I have had.

From august 11th I have gained no less than 10kg/22pounds.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, but you've had some serious struggles, too, JTbo. A broken collar bone amongst them. Don't sell yourself short.

It was a bad weekend here food-wise and I made some stupid choices....cookies, Hershey's kisses, etc. I need to get back on track. 

And I really need to find some foods that are high in protein. Serious protein. I'm not getting enough and I can tell.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

ive found these frozen chicken grilled breasts in the frozen meat department-150 cal for one and 29 grams of protein.

I add this to my tv dinners. I try to stick with rice/veggie combo. I still add a head or half of one broccoli to the dish-I am stuffed afterwards.

I didn't buy junk food for a week..until last night. thanksgiving is the excuse. then it's back to nuts and chicken wings.

I feel I am still gaining pants tighter. but I feel better. getting an hour and half of exercise every day. But I know I have to stop eating so much...gr.... 
What are those chicken breasts called? 

I've been adding tuna, kidney beans, pecans, raisins, etc and I'm gaining weight, just by doing that. But I need the protein.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me go look it up-I have only seen them at Hannafords. They are kind of bland and not too crazy with salt.

be careful of raisins=sugar! make sure to read labels. I try to only buy things that have NO sugar-complex carbs are OK. just not simple sugars.

I found out with vegan proteins-you have to do a combo of proteins to equal a total protein-I remember somewhere reading that a complete protein is only in meats but if combo certain things in beans/peanut butter you can get a complete protein-sorry I can't remember it off the top of my head-I remember something about peanut butter with something=but I can't remember..

the chicken is in blue bag in the freezer department in the meat department...hang on..gonna google it.

I can't find it on Google. It's a small organic company. $10 for 5 patties but they are GOOD. They are not a big chain brand. I tried those and they are HUGELY salty! YUCK!

Sent a text to Jon-get off his bum and send me a text photo of the bag-maybe then I can find it for you...

Ok I think I found it..the link: http://www.hannaford.com/product/Sp...ast-Filet/926939.uts?refineByCategoryId=46737

springer Mountain Farms is the name of the company but I couldn't find a photo of them..still waiting for the text from Mr. Jon.

They have a website. http://springermountainfarms.com/   I couldn't find the frozen grilled chicken breasts but you can order meat and have it FedEx overnight. They take orders as small as $20. They explain that they are a humane butcher shop and have the certs for this. I haven't tried their fresh meats-I only had the frozen grilled chicken breasts. they also have chicken tenders and I think chicken cubes. Those three choices are $10 a bag but to me it's worth the extra $3 vs Perdue or other brands to know that they humanely deal with the products.  I am impressed with their products.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
@foxxycat, thank you! I'm going to look for them at the markets around here. 

I googled for foods that are higher in protein and I keep the list in the kitchen. Also started eating a higher protein bar in addition to my morning bowl of oatmeal and skim milk. I started eating a bit more beef (and trying to balance that out with more dark orange and green vegetables). I'm hard-boiling three eggs and eating one with my lunch Mon, Wed, and Fri. I love liver and I think I'm going to try eating calves liver once a week for a while. I like raisins, but I understand the raisin/sugar thing, too. 

Have a doctor appt, but it's not until January 3. It's to check for possible thyroid problems and/or anemia. They'll have to take blood.

My hair is thinning drastically and my son thinks it's because I'm not getting enough protein and fats. You can only go low-fat, low-everything for so long before it starts to take its toll. I've been taking 5,000 mg of Biotin every day now for over a year, but I don't know that it's really doing much good. Son took a good look at my dietary regimen and he was more than a little frustrated. He thinks I need more protein and more fat (good fats). 

I also have pretty much all the symptoms of anemia, which wouldn't surprise me. The last time I really dieted, I had blood work that showed that anemia was just starting to show up. My doctor told me, "You know, I never thought I'd say this to you, but you need to start eating! Something!" And I think that's true again. I was even getting dizzy if I got out of bed or stood up quickly. Since I've upped my calorie content and started eating more in the way of protein (i.e. more meat), the dizziness has gone away.

I'm right around 140 pounds and people have been telling me that I should probably gain a few pounds. It's pretty evident in my face and one of my co-workers told me that I'm starting to look a little unhealthy. Somebody else at work asked him if I was OK because I was really getting thin. Yeah, my doctor says 130 pounds, but I'm 61 years old, too, and 130 pounds at 20 years old is good. At 61, maybe not so much. I've also noticed that my skin feels dry (which is partially the weather). I don't see the unhealthiness. To me, I'm still pudgy. To others? No. Not at all. So I'm trying to rethink things. 

Anyway, doctor appt in in January. Meanwhile I am trying to up my protein and fats to see if maybe that will help.

Thanks for the info on the chicken patties. 29 grams of protein is good! 

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.