The Weight Loss Support Group - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited to find this forum! I just joined TCS about a week ago, and I'm so uplifted by the normal day to day threads in addition to all the wonderful kitty discussions.

I've struggled with my weight all my life. I alternate between compulsive overeating and overriding that innate impulse to the point of anorexia. I've gained and lost 50 pounds MANY times. :( I'm so ashamed about it all... especially when I gain the weight back. I feel unbelievably awful. After following a super strict diet last summer to help with a medical condition (Candida overgrowth), I broke down after 4 months of the diet and started slowly reintroducing more enjoyable foods again. I didn't mean to go overboard, but I surely did. Over the last year I gained back the 30 pounds I'd lost during last summer, and an additional 10 or so. I finally started to get my act back in gear a couple weeks ago and have cut out most processed foods and grains, trying to eat more fresh produce (organic usually), eggs, and occasionally meat. I've lost about 7 pounds so far, so that's awesome enough to keep me from going back to pizza and ice cream... for now. I really need to just lose a bunch of weight through healthy diet and exercise, and then hopefully I'll eventually have the will power to let myself have a treat now and again without making it an everyday thing.

The problem with me is that I have a really hard time finding balance. I can't seem to do anything in moderation, or do anything in between. I either don't drink, or I drink daily. I either eat crappy food all the time, or I stop eating altogether. I don't know what it is with me. It's total "all-or-nothing" thinking. Unfortunately, being aware of this problem hasn't ever helped me to overcome it. Looking for balance. Right now, I'm in the not eating much end of the spectrum, although I'm going to try to do better about eating more whole foods and just cutting out the crap. At the farmer's market this morning, I had a bite of blueberry coffeecake, one lamb meatball with yoghurt sauce, and one bite of squash and mushroom salad with blue cheese dressing. Later, for lunch, I had one link of turkey sausage (about hot dog size). I'm about to have a few spoonfuls of almond butter. This is not the right way to eat. I need to go harvest some veggies from the garden.

Thanks for listening, y'all. I'm trying to get down to 145# in the long run. I currently weigh 195#. Fortunately, I don't carry my weight the way most folks do, so I don't look as heavy as I am for some reason. I'm pretty muscular for a female, so I'm guessing that accounts for a good bit of the "extra" weight. Anyway, I'm grateful you guys are here. I won't always write this much. :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@Forest Phoenix   Welcome...

I am new to this thread also. Everyone here is very supportive, and know first hand all the issues with weight loss. 

It is really hard to do. I find that I need structure. I finally decided to take a Planet Fitness gym membership. For $10 a month, it is worth it; for me. I go in, every other day, used the treadmill, now elliptical and just follow through with the machines I feel comfortable with.

I am now having protein shakes and/or a protein bar after the gym. I really do think that structure helps. Make sure you have a goal everyday.. one day gym, next day cleaning, or shopping, or a rest day to yourself. I have a lot of salads and vary the ingredients. It is my main supper. Make sure you add a protein to it. Protein is necessary if you are dieting. Salads are good for fiber. My salad is a huge bowl. I just use EVOO and Balsamic vinegar as a dressing. I do not use prepared dressings; they contain sugar. I do eat a lot of apples. 

An apple with a scoop of peanut butter is really filling. I buy bags of popcorn popped in olive oil. I do eat a fair share of them. 

Once you cut out sugars, you will realized how much there is in everything. The same thing with salt. I do not add any additional salt to my food.

Last visit at the doctors, my blood pressure was 112/70!!!! That is the lowest I have ever had!!!  I usually run high, 130/90....

I have a home glucose monitor because diabetes runs in my family. I always checked mine periodically. My blood sugar has lowered 10 points since beginning this diet and exercise. My doctors are telling me I look so good. I have only lost 15 lbs, but my clothes and body are not showing it... I guess I am getting healthier. I was told that the body is getting healthier first, then I will see the changes. I am replacing fat with muscle, so I guess that is why I am not losing inches. 

If I may ask: how did you find out you had the candida overgrowth?  I am curious....

Good Luck... we are all in the same situation here. Some with more weight to lose than others. I am in that category...

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the warm welcomes, everyone :D.

@Artiemom The diet you're following sounds super similar to the diet I followed when I was battling Candida. I didn't consume any grains (although I did introduce quinoa in moderation after a few months), I didn't consume any sugar, which meant no condiments, no fruit, no sweet veggies, and I gave up caffeine cold turkey. It was so difficult. For the first month, I just ate raw veggies and hard boiled eggs, but I eventually got so bored that I started cooking Candida neutral meals. It had the pleasant side effect that I taught myself to cook some Indian and Thai cuisine, which I'd always wanted to learn to do.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I was attacked by one of my mother's cats last Easter. Thankfully, he was vaccinated, but he bit me really badly... he sunk his teeth into my leg as deeply as his gums would allow. I have had plenty of cat tousles, but never like that. I was worried enough that I went to the clinic to get my Tetanus vaccine boosted, because it was overdue. The doctor there basically scared me into getting a course of antibiotics, which I almost never take, and probably shouldn't have done. Long story short, I got a horrible yeast infection after taking the antibiotics. I used to work in a natural foods and medicines shop, and the owner there always told me that sooo many people have Candida overgrowth and just don't know it. She always said that if there's a yeast infection on the outside, there's one on the inside. So I started doing some research, and I had all the symptoms of someone who has had systemic overgrowth for several years (brain fog & confusion, terrible fatigue, depression & mood swings, the list goes on). I was totally convinced this was my problem and started treating myself with diet and supplements. It became quite an overwhelming project.

After 3-4 months of this, I lost a lot of weight but still felt awful. The symptoms had not let up. So I found a naturopath who did some tests on me and he said that I don't have high Candida levels anymore... but I do have reactivated Epstein Barr virus. This is the virus that causes mono, lies dormant in your body after you recover from mono, and can reactivate and make you super sick if you have a lot of stress or a low functioning immune system. I think the EBV has been reactivated and making me sick for about 3 years... I just didn't know what was causing all these symptoms, and that they were related. The symptoms overlap considerably with the Candida overgrowth symptoms. Anyway, that's where I'm at now... overweight with mono. LoL. Sorry for the long post again. :)

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel like I have missed so much the last few days. So many things going on. First congrats to the ones that are doing great and welcome to the ones just joining. This is one of my greatest support systems. 

It's been a whirlwind the last week for me. I have had a few doctors appointments and have found out a few things good and bad. 

First the good. On Tuesday I hit the 75 pounds lost mark. When I got my blood work back my Cholesterol and triglycerides were at a normal level, yay.

Now the bad. I have low vitamin D levels and I also have low blood pressure. My OB says she thinks I am in Perimenopause  which sucks since I am only 39. So I am now on vitamin D, Iron and the part that bothers me is I am having to cut out exercise. Just til my next appointment on the 12th. 

I was going to try to do maintenance calories until then but it's not going to work. For the last to days I have ate to much and my acid reflux has flared up so bad I can't sleep.  So tomorrow I will be lowering it down a few hundred calories and see how it goes. I know this morning I was up two pounds but just thought it was my body adjusting. I hope to be back down in a few days. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened today.

I accomplished my goal of 30 pounds before I turn 30. I am now taking it 5 pounds at a time with no actual end goal. I'm thinking probably 15-20 more pounds total but we will see how it goes. I bought myself a bunch of new clothes on Thursday.
Awesome!!! Congratulations!! I think the secret is to do small increments. Settling on that is the best thing. If you try to handle a large amount, I think we are bound to fail.. just little tiny goals...

I feel like I have missed so much the last few days. So many things going on. First congrats to the ones that are doing great and welcome to the ones just joining. This is one of my greatest support systems. 

It's been a whirlwind the last week for me. I have had a few doctors appointments and have found out a few things good and bad. 

First the good. On Tuesday I hit the 75 pounds lost mark. When I got my blood work back my Cholesterol and triglycerides were at a normal level, yay.

Now the bad. I have low vitamin D levels and I also have low blood pressure. My OB says she thinks I am in Perimenopause  which sucks since I am only 39. So I am now on vitamin D, Iron and the part that bothers me is I am having to cut out exercise. Just til my next appointment on the 12th. 

I was going to try to do maintenance calories until then but it's not going to work. For the last to days I have ate to much and my acid reflux has flared up so bad I can't sleep.  So tomorrow I will be lowering it down a few hundred calories and see how it goes. I know this morning I was up two pounds but just thought it was my body adjusting. I hope to be back down in a few days. 
Congratulations on the good numbers!!! and the wonderful weight loss!!!!!!   Again!  Awesome!!!

Weight loss can do so much good for people... and eating healthy...

Sorry, ((Hugs)) on the peri-menopause.  If it helps at all, you are not alone. I, for one began it, a few years older than you... it is something that just happens. I was early also...It will definitely work out. I know it will...It can get you really down, but it now a good time to lose weight, before you enter into FULL menopause. That is when it is almost impossible to lose the extra weight. If you continue to eat healthy, you will be fine.

The Vit D and Iron decencies are probably because you are dieting. That is so common. That is why doctors always suggest at least a good general vitamin for anyone who is dieting. The Vit D and Iron can be compensated for. Try to get more spinach or kale in you diet. That will help a lot. 

I found that my gastric reflux is all but gone now... It has been since I cut out all coffee. I am drinking green tea, instead, and not stuffing myself at meals. I think that has done the trick.. and I do not drink soda at all. I have coffee, only once a week. 

Can you sleep on an extra pillow at night, so your upper body is elevated? Lie on you left side at night..helps to empty the stomach. 

Or... can you get some bricks, or books, or some wood to elevate the head of your bed. That will help also...

Why do you have to cut out exercise? Is it because your doctor wants you to rest a bit. 

just eat smart... do not indulge...things will be fine.. are you having any yogurt? Trader Joe's has some awesome low-fat yogurt which is very cheap. I love their non-fat Greek Vanilla and Coconut ones....

Good Luck...

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Congratulations on your weight loss! 

I also began perimenopause early, 13 years ago.  I still have not hit menopause and it has been a long 13 years.  Hormones have ruled my life!  Turns out these are also early symptoms of Hasimoto's, an auto immune disease.  (I really hope it hasn't all been Hashimoto's, would hate to go through it all again)  Most people don't get the diagnosis until it has started destroying the thyroid.   See if your doctor will test for thyroid antibodies or check your liver.  My doctor would test for TSH but that isn't effected until the thyroid is attacked by antibodies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lost 2.8kg (6.16 pounds) and 1.5cm from waist during last week.

It is bit weird though as previous evening measure did show sudden jump of over 2kg, even I did not eat or drink that much during that day and that jump had disappeared by morning.

My scale seem to be again at very random mood, if I move it 1/2 inch and measure again reading can change that 2kg.

Maybe small amount of weight has disappeared though, 2.8kg I doubt very much of.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Monday morning and I am not weighing in :jaw: it's killing me. I'm not even measuring my waist :jaw: seriously it's killing me. I want to know. But I'm taking a break for 1 month. Im not leaving the thread. I need you guys :grphug:
I have confessed on this thread before that I am a binge eater. Last week I binged 3 or 4 times. It could have been more? I don't want to look back. I consume thousands of calories when I do it. I don't purge as such but I do try to restrict my calories more and more to try and make up for it. I used to do it once a fortnightish and I've managed to cut it back to a month or even more in between.
I've spent most of this past week reading, listening to podcasts and watching people on YouTube who have recovered from binge eating. " brain over binge" by Kathryn Hansen is an excellent book. I just purchased her second book last night so I'll be reading that this week and I'm going to continue to keep learning. I need to eat more food and not be so restrictive so that is why I'm not weighing in for a month. If my weight goes up it will mess with my head too much :lol3:
I am not however going to be going of the rails. I'm still in it. I'll report how it's going. :cross:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: it's a shame the party didn't go to plan. Don't beat yourself up. You have been going great and you can get right back on that wagon. You are strong and you will do it. We are all in this together. :grphug:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I gained 1.5 pounds over the weekend. It is what it is and I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Next week, people! Next week!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gained 2 pounds from Saturday to Monday. I didn't have anything that bad so I'm not really sure how it happened. I know there's going to be more weight gain in a couple of weeks when we are on vacation. I'm not counting calories while in Cuba.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just weighed and at 187. Was 191 last week. I will take it. I have not been restricting calories but eating protein bars instead of chips and junk. maybe it helps? I didnt eat much of the fresh veggies I bought last week. The woodchuck is going to make out like a bandit this evening 
 It lives under the shed next door and I see it all the time. We spread veggies out for it and it eats it. except for peppers. it doesnt like peppers. but maybe I will do better this week. didnt do shopping for the week yet. still have a few things to eat up in the ****.

I understand about the panic attacks. I am sorry that people didnt even bother to tell you that they won't be showing up. I feel sorry for Leah. I hope she is doing ok.  Sending you both hugs and I am eating some of your cupcakes via ESP to help you get rid of them. What a very stressful day. I hope you guys do something today together to help make new memories. I try so hard to never commit myself to kids parties because I don't want that kid to feel sad if people don't show up. Sending you hugs!

For now we didnt buy any snacks or junkfood for the house. but I am still eating corn chips n salsa...but not as much...Sorry everyone having a rough time this week. sending you all hugs!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just googled "woodchuck". :lol3: Silly Australian with our funny looking animals:lol3: They are cute. Even animals can restrain from eating everything :smshfrk:
My personal trainer said to me yesterday to make sure I am weighing myself daily and measuring my waist and I smiled and said yes. Oh please forgive me for telling little white lies. I resisted the urge to measure this morning. I've been doing great so that's all that matters at this stage. I've begun reading " brain over binge recovery guide" ( I think that's the name?) by Kathryn Hansen. This book follows " Brain over binge" which is more Kathryn's story that touches on the strategies she used to recover from binge eating. The second book is more of a "self help" book that goes into more detail about how to dismiss the urges to binge. I highly recommend reading it.
Have a good week everybody :clap:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost a pound last week, I think.  My scale is weird.   If get on it 2 times in a row the weight goes up the 2nd (and 3rd) time.  I haven't been measuring my waist.  I don't have a measuring tape.

I am sooooo hungry lately.  All I want to do is eat and sleep.  I broke down and had one of Kim's butter cookies.  It was a small one, maybe an inch square.  I thought I know what's in these, regular sugar, butter, no processing chemicals.  An hour later it dawned on me that it was made with flour and I am supposed to be avoiding gluten. 

Yesterday DH and I hiked around a local wildlife reserve for a couple of hours and I got 9000 steps on my pedometer.  Today I walked in the pool for an hour. 

Status
Not open for further replies.