Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are all doing great! 

I am inspired by you..

I am also on the weight loss bandwagon. I started in April. I do have a lot to lose. I am ashamed to say how much. I joined Planet fitness in April. I was faithful in going there every other day times a week. I have posted int eh exercise thread as a newbie also, so please forgive me if I re-interate stuff. 

I absolutely love the treadmill, like Winchester. I was up to doing 30 minutes at my tops of 3.5 MPH. I got a real workout from it. I also used a lot of the machines. I do have a bad shoulder and knee, so I am taking it easy. I am familiar with a lot of the machine because of the physical therapy I had on both areas. 

I had to take the month of May off from the gym because of my allergies, cold, asthma..I was hibernating in the house.

Went back to the gym June 1.... I got into the habit very easily. 

As of Monday, I lost 12 lbs. slow and easy. 

Last Friday, my knee really swelled up! and continued in degrees until it decided to go down a bit on Sunday. Very sore. Not as sore as Winchester's was. I can still sleep at night, but walking is a chore.  Forget stairs.. I gave up on them earlier this year. 

I saw my doctor on Monday who said, no more treadmill.. I am devastated... I tried the elliptical, a lot of work; and the recumbent bike, but I do not care for it. It seems to bother my knee. 

I do not want to give up the gym.. I do not want to give up the treadmill, but I have to. I am going to stick with the elliptical. 

I will go back tomorrow, to retry it. I am going to ice my knee again..and take Aleve~~ hate to do that...

So I guess I have decided to join this group...so  HI!!! to all    

( I have been lurking for a while)     

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

You guys are all doing great! 

I am inspired by you..

I am also on the weight loss bandwagon. I started in April. I do have a lot to lose. I am ashamed to say how much. I joined Planet fitness in April. I was faithful in going there every other day times a week. I have posted int eh exercise thread as a newbie also, so please forgive me if I re-interate stuff. 

I absolutely love the treadmill, like Winchester. I was up to doing 30 minutes at my tops of 3.5 MPH. I got a real workout from it. I also used a lot of the machines. I do have a bad shoulder and knee, so I am taking it easy. I am familiar with a lot of the machine because of the physical therapy I had on both areas. 

I had to take the month of May off from the gym because of my allergies, cold, asthma..I was hibernating in the house.

Went back to the gym June 1.... I got into the habit very easily. 

As of Monday, I lost 12 lbs. slow and easy. 

Last Friday, my knee really swelled up! and continued in degrees until it decided to go down a bit on Sunday. Very sore. Not as sore as Winchester's was. I can still sleep at night, but walking is a chore.  Forget stairs.. I gave up on them earlier this year. 

I saw my doctor on Monday who said, no more treadmill.. I am devastated... I tried the elliptical, a lot of work; and the recumbent bike, but I do not care for it. It seems to bother my knee. 

I do not want to give up the gym.. I do not want to give up the treadmill, but I have to. I am going to stick with the elliptical. 

I will go back tomorrow, to retry it. I am going to ice my knee again..and take Aleve~~ hate to do that...

So I guess I have decided to join this group...so  HI!!! to all    

( I have been lurking for a while)     
No more treadmill is only for now.....although, believe me, I know that "now" can be a long time.
 Unless your doctor has said forever and ever, amen. You need to get that knee straightened out right now; that's the most important thing. 

I hate the elliptical. And I don't know why, just that using that thing is a complete pain in the butt for me. I just simply hate it. My only consolation was that, as I kept using it and kept using it, I got to the point where it wasn't "that" bad. But that's all I'll say for it. And really, Artiemom, it's better than nothing. So if you look at it that way, well, maybe it will be OK. I've been there. Honest. And you do what you have to do. Hang in there. And just do the elliptical with a big smile. (Well, try!)

Congrats on the weight loss!

Good work, Barbara! Keep it up! Keep pushing everybody!

I gained that 4/10 pound back. I don't know why....I did nothing wrong. No extra salt, no extra food, I exercised last night. 
Could be water weight, could be anything. Frustrating. Sometimes I'll gain just a wee bit right before another loss, so I'm hoping that's what's going on. I was not amused. (And I guess that's why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day)

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am down to 157.6. I've lost 2.4 pounds since Monday. I've actually been really lazy this week and didn't even leave the house yesterday because of bad weather so I'm surprised I have lost so much so quickly.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gained that 4/10 pound back. I don't know why....I did nothing wrong. No extra salt, no extra food, I exercised last night. :argh: Could be water weight, could be anything. Frustrating. Sometimes I'll gain just a wee bit right before another loss, so I'm hoping that's what's going on. I was not amused. (And I guess that's why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day)
Try this, step on your scale and keep weight on your toes all the time, then note the weight, after that step on the scales again, but this time keep your weight on your heels all the time, note the weight.

You can also try standing bit more on left or right foot, lean bit to side, forward/back, put your feet to bit different locations on scale surface or even stand backwards on scale, you will be surprised of the results :D

When I empty my bladder, I get difference of 1/2 pound easily, during the night amount of dehydration seem to be different from night to night, maybe depends even from what dream I see or if I don't see a dream.

I think that twice a day weight ins are great way to go, once a week weight ins can show loss or gain just because of water level changes and it is only one measurement, so it might be lot more inaccurate.

However daily weight ins are such that one has to really understand variable nature of weight and not to get put down if weight goes up it just does that, it is not exact thing, it is more of line in a water, it surely is somewhere in there, but can be anything within 4 pounds of what scale lies.

I think they should start to make a scale that does not give weight, but just range where weight probably is, it would help so many not to be put down of small increases of weight that sometimes happen.

And also that scales are not accurate, I have glass surface scale with 4 weight sensors and it still lies horribly if I stand even a little different way on it, I have managed to get 8 pound differences by standing differently and positioning scale to different place on my room (I have uneven 64 years old solid wood flooring which makes it even worse).

So don't worry about 4/10 pounds of yours, it might not be on you, it might be on scale :D

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do the weekly weigh ins. Years ago, I used to do daily, but I got frustrated with the fluctuations. 

I prefer the weekly. 

You do whatever you feel more comfortable with.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a pair of wrist weights I bought a long time ago and never used them. I am not sure what benefits I would gain. They are doughnut rounds to slip on the wrists. Can anybody help me out here with an explanation?

little cutie66

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so upset, I gained 3 pounds, I work out like crazy but I just miss food and I ate. How do I stop this !!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so upset, I gained 3 pounds, I work out like crazy but I just miss food and I ate. How do I stop this !!!
What works for me is that I allow myself to eat only once in a day, problem is that when having less weight there is too little fat to keep doing that, but eating too much on one sitting is harder that if one eats during the day, which can easily lead to lot of extra calories.

It works better if I write down all calories I ate before I eat them, weight all that I put into my mouth, when I see all those calories in my spreadsheet and how much under or over I am, it is somehow easier to not eat too much.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I found a pair of wrist weights I bought a long time ago and never used them. I am not sure what benefits I would gain. They are doughnut rounds to slip on the wrists. Can anybody help me out here with an explanation?
One question: Do you have high blood pressure? I'm not allowed to wear weights when I walk because, evidently, they increase blood pressure and I do have HBP.  I don't know why people use them, unless it's just to add a bit of extra weight or drag when you walk.
You simply need to stop eating. And I know it's easier said than done. If it was easy, nobody would be overweight! 

My biggest problem is during the evening hours. So I know that, some nights? I just need to give up and go to bed. There are nights, esp during the colder months, when I'll go to bed around 7 or 7:30 because, if I don't, I'll raid the fridge or the pantry. So I'll go to bed with my book or watch tv.

I brush my teeth after dinner. A good brushing, a good flossing. That's supposed to be a signal to my brain that I'm done with food for the day. Does it work? Sometimes.

I find things to do. Straightening up bureau drawers. Cleaning out a cupboard. Pick a desk drawer and clean it out.  Do a few exercises. Give myself a manicure (it's difficult to eat with wet nails). Anything to not dwell on food. 

Keep a journal and include every single thing that passes your lips.

Keep to a routine. Studies have shown that, if you eat the same thing day after day after day, your body will get used to what you're eating. It's easier to keep track that way. And it's easier to deal with food. Sometimes it works, although I'd probably get bored after a while.

I eat when I'm happy. When I'm depressed. Sometimes I eat, just for the sake of eating. It is really hard to break that habit. And that's really all it is. A habit.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One question: Do you have high blood pressure? I'm not allowed to wear weights when I walk because, evidently, they increase blood pressure and I do have HBP.  I don't know why people use them, unless it's just to add a bit of extra weight or drag when you walk.

No I don't have high blood pressure, Winchester Winchester . It runs low.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
It could be muscle weight that you are putting on.. Muscle weighs more than fat...Just go by how you look and your clothes...not just the weight

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you logging what you eat? Are you weighing and measuring your food? Sometimes if you are doing that right it may be hard to believe you may need more food. Myfitnesspal recommends you eat back half of what you burn. I don't but I have a whole lot of fat to get rid of. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

I gained that 4/10 pound back. I don't know why....I did nothing wrong. No extra salt, no extra food, I exercised last night. 
Could be water weight, could be anything. Frustrating. Sometimes I'll gain just a wee bit right before another loss, so I'm hoping that's what's going on. I was not amused. (And I guess that's why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day)
The weight gain was a fluke. This morning I hopped on the scales and not only, did I lose that 4/10 pound, I also lost a pound on top of that. So I'll take it and be grateful.

I know that scales lie....no scale is completely accurate. I try to weight myself every day, though, so that I can see what's going on, even with fluctuations. If I go only by the way my clothes fit, I could gain 3-5 pounds til I notice that my pants are tight. An every day weigh-in helps me to stay on track.

But that's what works for me. And we all know that what works for one person doesn't work for another. If somebody feels comfortable weighing once a week or twice a week, you do what works best for you.

I'm just happy for the loss.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weight gain was a fluke. This morning I hopped on the scales and not only, did I lose that 4/10 pound, I also lost a pound on top of that. So I'll take it and be grateful.

I know that scales lie....no scale is completely accurate. I try to weight myself every day, though, so that I can see what's going on, even with fluctuations. If I go only by the way my clothes fit, I could gain 3-5 pounds til I notice that my pants are tight. An every day weigh-in helps me to stay on track.

But that's what works for me. And we all know that what works for one person doesn't work for another. If somebody feels comfortable weighing once a week or twice a week, you do what works best for you.

I'm just happy for the loss.
I think we all are happy for each others losses, uhm, now that did sound bit weird? :D

Way I see this issue with scales is that errors in statistics can be minimized by increasing amount of samples, so error in one sample is less significant for whole statistic/log.

For example in a month if there are 4 measurements and one of them has fluke, log has 25% of measurements telling lies, but having 30 measurements for a month, one or two flukes there can't make lies as there are so many other measurements setting lies straight.

Of course daily measurements work only if one can think each measurement being quite insignificant and keeps log where it is easy to see result from several measurements.

Still it all helps just so much, I have eaten 1700 calories of sweats today already and still have big urge for more, I think I need to fell few trees that are on task lisk to burn all that away again :-\

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my scales this morning [emoji]128536[/emoji] I am down that next kilo. 600 grams to lose. My waist is up though?? 2cm to lose there?? Who knows. My greatest achievement for the week was yesterday. All week I promised myself a cheat/ treat for Friday. I almost had it on Thursday but I told myself I am stronger than that. So I had a blueberry muffin Friday. One. Only one. The cookie jar beckoned me afterwards but I told it no. I feel fantastic today. I didn't binge.
In regards to exercise and weight loss. I am a true believer in "you can't out train a bad diet". Exercise is fantastic and it can help you lose weight but it is not a license to eat. I am fit. I exercise 4-6 times a week and I'm here on this thread. If I can kick my terrible binge habit (and I can) then I will actually look like an athlete. Im pretty sure others here would agree with me. We have some serious exercise fanatics here. It's all about the food. Eat less and then as you get smaller you have to even even less than before. It's the sad truth.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my scales this morning [emoji]128536[/emoji] I am down that next kilo. 600 grams to lose. My waist is up though?? 2cm to lose there?? Who knows. My greatest achievement for the week was yesterday. All week I promised myself a cheat/ treat for Friday. I almost had it on Thursday but I told myself I am stronger than that. So I had a blueberry muffin Friday. One. Only one. The cookie jar beckoned me afterwards but I told it no. I feel fantastic today. I didn't binge.
In regards to exercise and weight loss. I am a true believer in "you can't out train a bad diet". Exercise is fantastic and it can help you lose weight but it is not a license to eat. I am fit. I exercise 4-6 times a week and I'm here on this thread. If I can kick my terrible binge habit (and I can) then I will actually look like an athlete. Im pretty sure others here would agree with me. We have some serious exercise fanatics here. It's all about the food. Eat less and then as you get smaller you have to even even less than before. It's the sad truth.
Yes and eat properly, enough, but not too much, having good balance of macro and micro nutrients, it makes big difference to how one feels and how one can carry out all the activity.

My problem is sweets and I go there all the time when my load of social interaction face to face becomes too great, I just can't tolerate enough of that compared to what is normal level, so I need to figure out a way how to quit getting into sweets even when I get overloaded, not so easy thing to do.

Anyway, I have tried to stop sweets now twice during bit over week and I have managed few days just fine, then something has happened that has pushed me too much, but I try now again, I have excellent excuse with my feet injury to stay bit more indoors and avoid others (sounds so wonderfully freakish!), that maybe I can cut the habit, last time I managed to cut it when I did stay one week in isolation.

Sometimes it might feel that I'm pathetic human being, but you don't choose your genetics and some genetics give different perks and challenges, one just have to find ways to manage best way possible with them.

So this food thing, weight control, exercising has lot to do with mind, genetics affecting mind and body, also learning ways and tricks to help yourself to cope with everything, it is not just eating, it is linked to so much more, which makes weight control a challenging thing.

You can do only so much forcing with will power, at some point better balance need to be found as forcing is not getting forward anymore and that I think is one of the great challenges to conquer, how to find real weaknesses and strengths, how to use those strengths to overcome those weaknesses, it requires forgetting something, neglecting something, accepting something and also lots of will power is needed with some amount of time.

There can and maybe even will be failures, but it gives opportunity to try again, don't get put down by failing, enjoy the learning it provides :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning. I've just woken up and im in shock. I'm 100 grams below my goal weight :jaw: it's officially weigh in tomorrow but I just had to post this. I actually feel strange?? Is it real?? Will it last?? I've already been fighting my mind. "Have pancakes for breakfast to celebrate or what about croissants?" It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I'll see you in the morning. :cross:

Status
Not open for further replies.