The Weight Loss Support Group - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made it through the weekend without gaining any weight. I actually lost weight. It was really hard, Saturday night I wanted to eat chips but I didn't buy them so I couldn't eat them. I wish I could just eat a serving of them but I always eat half the bag because they are my biggest weakness.
Chips are my huge addiction too. I can eat 1/2 a large bag of Lays or Ruffles in a sitting. I just don't let them in my house. I'm actually going to try to make baked veggie chips with my mandoline attachment for my Kitchenaid. I saw them on Pinterest, and you can make chips out of Zucchini, sweet potato, beets, etc... We'll see how it goes. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chips are my huge addiction too. I can eat 1/2 a large bag of Lays or Ruffles in a sitting. I just don't let them in my house. I'm actually going to try to make baked veggie chips with my mandoline attachment for my Kitchenaid. I saw them on Pinterest, and you can make chips out of Zucchini, sweet potato, beets, etc... We'll see how it goes. 
I made zucchini chips before. They are so good but only fresh out of the oven. The ones that sat around went mushy.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loss this week: - 1.4 lbs

Loss this month: - 7.8 lbs

Loss this year: - 20 lbs    WOOHOO!

I didn't lose as much last week as I have been, which is a little sad. But I did only work out 4 days, and I went out to eat for the first time in 2 months. I was actually pretty proud of myself though, I ordered tilapia, sweet potato, and veggies... and didn't touch the bread basket. And I didn't drink alcohol with everyone else at the party. I just couldn't justify the empty calories. 

I may have to intensify my workouts, as I think my body is getting conditioned to working out now. I want to start lifting too, but it's been so long, I don't even know where to start. 

I'm super happy about hitting the 20 pound mark though. I think I may need to buy myself a new pair of shoes to celebrate. :)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loss this week: - 1.4 lbs
Loss this month: - 7.8 lbs
Loss this year: - 20 lbs    WOOHOO!

I didn't lose as much last week as I have been, which is a little sad. But I did only work out 4 days, and I went out to eat for the first time in 2 months. I was actually pretty proud of myself though, I ordered tilapia, sweet potato, and veggies... and didn't touch the bread basket. And I didn't drink alcohol with everyone else at the party. I just couldn't justify the empty calories. 

I may have to intensify my workouts, as I think my body is getting conditioned to working out now. I want to start lifting too, but it's been so long, I don't even know where to start. 

I'm super happy about hitting the 20 pound mark though. I think I may need to buy myself a new pair of shoes to celebrate. :)
Way to go!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take 2000mg of magnesium aspartate before bed ( I sometimes forget). The bottle says equivalent to 37.4mg of elemental magnesium- that's one tab which = 500mg. I take 4. Recommended dose is 2-6 per day. Is this the same thing you guys are talking about? My Dr told me to take because loss of magnesium through sweating with exercise may have been draining my energy levels. The thing about vitamins and minerals is that your body absorbs what it needs and the rest you just pee out. I suppose it's money in the toilet but I'd rather that than be deficient and feeling awful.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to be careful about the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.  On those you sure don't want to overdose.  I wouldn't want to take too much potassium either.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this sure isn't the kind of progress y'all are making but still it's progress.  I ate a bowl of my favorite mint chocolate chip ice cream a little bit ago.  I usually binge on it because I keep telling myself that one day I will have to cut it off completely!  I think it's exactly that thought which triggers a binge.  So, today, while eating it, I said to myself that I didn't need to eat it all up today because I could have more tomorrow.  And for today, it worked.  Just giving myself permission to have something "bad" took the pressure off and kept me from feeling I needed to get rid of all of it today.  Actually, I only wanted one scoop.  But thinking I would never be able to have any more again makes me feel like I have to binge.  

Baby steps!  

I'm still taking my probiotic daily, which helps with cravings too.  Has anyone else heard of Dr. Ohhira's probiotic?  It doesn't have to be refrigerated but its quite expensive.  I paid $60 for a month's supply.  It's really good though.  It keeps me from having heartburn AND it's good for me, unlike Prevacid which I had been on for years.  

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to be careful about the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.  On those you sure don't want to overdose.  I wouldn't want to take too much potassium either.  
Yes, water soluble vitamins gets flushed out, but those other ones get stored and they accumulate, which is why long term overdose can lead to issues.

Too much is too much, too little is too little and there is good area between those two.

Athletes sweat that 10-20% of magnesium, so it is not much by sweating.

Then there is difference where one gets magnesium, if I have understood correctly, you can't get overdose from food, but it is possible to get overdose from supplements.

If doctor orders that much, then I guess there is a reason for it.

There is more information about magnesium that one can absorb in a day:
http://examine.com/supplements/magnesium/

They have covered almost everything there, sure they try to sell some information too, but there is lot of free stuff and at least appear to be quite legit:
http://examine.com/supplements/

My magnesium pills seem to be worst of the kind, oxide, so I doubt that mentioned 374mg is what I really get, I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but that might be something like 17mg of elemental magnesium based on 5% absorption?

So much to read and so late at night :D

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, water soluble vitamins gets flushed out, but those other ones get stored and they accumulate, which is why long term overdose can lead to issues.

Too much is too much, too little is too little and there is good area between those two.

Athletes sweat that 10-20% of magnesium, so it is not much by sweating.

Then there is difference where one gets magnesium, if I have understood correctly, you can't get overdose from food, but it is possible to get overdose from supplements.

If doctor orders that much, then I guess there is a reason for it.

There is more information about magnesium that one can absorb in a day:
http://examine.com/supplements/magnesium/

They have covered almost everything there, sure they try to sell some information too, but there is lot of free stuff and at least appear to be quite legit:
http://examine.com/supplements/

My magnesium pills seem to be worst of the kind, oxide, so I doubt that mentioned 374mg is what I really get, I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but that might be something like 17mg of elemental magnesium based on 5% absorption?

So much to read and so late at night
So true about overdosing on supplements but not food.  Satiety will - hopefully! - stop you long before you overdose.  That's why we should always pay attention to that inner "full-meter" and when that guy inside says "STOP" we should stop.  Even too much water can kill.  I believe that 8 glasses a day rule needs to be amended.  I've heard the new rule for water is "drink to taste".  When it stops tasting good, stop.  I can swing that!

Very interesting information about magnesium and that's only one mineral.  I wonder why doctors don't prescribe that   instead of Xanax for anxiety?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Tammat, just now saw this.  It occurred to me you might be talking about getting your vitamins and minerals through food, not supplements.  I think some minerals do depend on fat stores but I don't know right offhand which ones. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true about overdosing on supplements but not food.  Satiety will - hopefully! - stop you long before you overdose.  That's why we should always pay attention to that inner "full-meter" and when that guy inside says "STOP" we should stop.  Even too much water can kill.  I believe that 8 glasses a day rule needs to be amended.  I've heard the new rule for water is "drink to taste".  When it stops tasting good, stop.  I can swing that!

Very interesting information about magnesium and that's only one mineral.  I wonder why doctors don't prescribe that  instead of Xanax for anxiety?
8 glasses of water is very wrong, imo. When urine is yellow one has too little and drink when thirsty works for most, but here is little problem, are we understanding what our bodies are telling us?

For example when feeling thirsty, it is about same as craving something sweet and for many this is where things go wrong, taking sweets increases thirst, so if one was thirsty in first place then even more so and it can lead to quite a lot of sweets.

So whenever one likes to have sweets, first one should try drinking little water and wait 30 minutes or so I would guess.

8 glasses is bad measure, there is no standard size glass that I know of.

Also it is bad rule as certainly running at Arizona is bit different from watching aurora borealis (northern lights) near arctic circle what comes to water intake needs.

When drinking more water (because of sweating) one needs to start put salt into it or have enough extra salt from food before sweating.

Ginny, just recently I read about how absorption rate of vitamin changes when more of it is consumed, so it is really difficult to get too much from food, then as food contains other vitamins and minerals it becomes quite difficult to overdose as everything affects to everything, but put single supplement in and it is much easier to overdose.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 glasses of water is very wrong, imo. When urine is yellow one has too little and drink when thirsty works for most, but here is little problem, are we understanding what our bodies are telling us?

For example when feeling thirsty, it is about same as craving something sweet and for many this is where things go wrong, taking sweets increases thirst, so if one was thirsty in first place then even more so and it can lead to quite a lot of sweets.

So whenever one likes to have sweets, first one should try drinking little water and wait 30 minutes or so I would guess.

8 glasses is bad measure, there is no standard size glass that I know of.

Also it is bad rule as certainly running at Arizona is bit different from watching aurora borealis (northern lights) near arctic circle what comes to water intake needs.

When drinking more water (because of sweating) one needs to start put salt into it or have enough extra salt from food before sweating.

Ginny, just recently I read about how absorption rate of vitamin changes when more of it is consumed, so it is really difficult to get too much from food, then as food contains other vitamins and minerals it becomes quite difficult to overdose as everything affects to everything, but put single supplement in and it is much easier to overdose.
Very good points!  It is easy to misinterpret our bodies signals.  Before I started taking magnesium I really craved chocolate every single day all day long.  But once I started taking it, I went for several weeks while my chocolate stash piled up.  I didn't even realize I hadn't had any for several weeks!  But even so, the dark chocolate is really good for you as long as it has a very low amount of organic cane sugar.

The 8 glasses of water rule might apply to some of us on some days but to make it a hard fast rule for everybody every single day is wrong, I think.  When all you're doing is running to the bathroom all day, I think that shows you are drinking too much water.  Water is also in our food too.  Very good point about drinking water instead of eating sweets.  Now that I'm having to quit caffeine 
I'll have much more room for plain water and other beverages.  Guess I"m gonna go get me some decaf coffee and tea!

Have you ever tried Matcha Tea?  It's VERY green and a very potent anti-oxidant.  It's kinda bitter.

Also, I read an article of a woman who ended up in the ER after consuming way too much Bok Choy, so it can be done, but only if you really try hard and completely ignore common sense.  There was a woman in California who died from water intoxication back in 2007.  She entered a radio contest called "Hold Your Wee for a WII".  It's estimated that she drank approx 1 gallon in a very short amount of time.  The first place winner got very sick, but she lived.  The 2nd place winner, this woman, went home with the worst headache of her life (from hyponatremia) and died in her bathroom.  Horrible.  I can be done, but you have to FORCE yourself, way past the point of pain.  The body gave all kinds of signals to this woman to stop but she ignored it.  The radio station was sued by the woman's husband, and won.  She left behind 3 little children.  Sad!

So it is very important to properly interpret the body's signals and to listen when it says "enough"!

Last edited:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as you're still eating at a deficit, you should be fine upping calories. You can always calorie cycle too. Eat different calories depending on the day. You can have days where you eat 1100, and days where you eat 1700. It's supposed to trick your metabolism into not plateauing. The link explains how to figure out your calories. It's nice because you can plan higher calorie days around social events or eating out. I don't use this all the time, but I will eat "light" the day after eating out to balance it out.

"Because total fat loss isn’t necessarily about your calories on a specific day, but rather creating a total calorie deficit over a time, it’s possible to alternate days of calorie-deficits, with days of calorie-surpluses and still lose body fat. Even better, because you alternating higher calorie days with lower calorie days,   you may be less likely to lose lean tissue and less prone to developing fat loss plateaus."

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I use to do the calorie cycle thing. I love Chris Powell and that is what he teaches. I will try to up it for a day or two.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My weight loss has stalled this week. I haven't lost anything. It happened at this exact same weight last summer too. I haven't been very active this week, we had a big snow storm and it's cold out. I've only babysat once this week so we've only walked once, normally it's twice a day.

I'm not giving up though. I will get past it.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My weight loss has stalled this week. I haven't lost anything. It happened at this exact same weight last summer too. I haven't been very active this week, we had a big snow storm and it's cold out. I've only babysat once this week so we've only walked once, normally it's twice a day.

I'm not giving up though. I will get past it.
You've got this! You can find some good exercises to do at home on Youtube. You can even do squats, free weights, crunches, and other strength exercises while watching tv. :) I do mostly cardio, but I really need to start working on toning too. Strong is better than skinny! 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got this! You can find some good exercises to do at home on Youtube. You can even do squats, free weights, crunches, and other strength exercises while watching tv. :) I do mostly cardio, but I really need to start working on toning too. Strong is better than skinny! :D
I've got lots of exercises I can do, it's finding time to do it that's a problem. I'm a stay at home mom with a 3 year old, a 1 year old and I babysit before and after school. By the time my kids are in bed, house is tidied up and dishes are done, I can barely get the energy to shower most days.

I just finished doing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, picking up toys, making lunch, cleaning the floors, wiping tables down, then had to clean parts of the floors again because the kids made messes. Fitness tracker says I did 2800 steps and burnt 201 calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.