The Weight Loss Support Group - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the majority of people don't really track their daily intake a vitamins and minerals. Most of us just take a multi-vitamin (or not) and are done with it.

Honestly the only thing I take is iron, and occasionally B-12. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young i didn't give much thought to vitamins other than taking a daily.  Now that I'm older and having more physical problems, it occurs to me that I need to be much more vigilant in seeing that I get ALL that my body requires to stay healthy.  Over time, a continuing deficiency in this vitamin or that mineral or even excesses of them can and do lead to sickness and disease (as well as inflammation and dehydration).  Today I'm having a problem with dizziness and a heavy feeling in my feet and the back of my head.  It feels like I'm sinking!  This happened about 2 1/2 years ago only then I wasn't taking a probiotic and I definitely wasn't taking a magnesium supplement.  So this time the symptoms aren't as bad but I'm home from work today as I couldn't walk without feeling like I was going to fall down!  This can't continue.  I've got to get to the bottom of things this time and get better :(

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take multivitamin, calcium, d-vitamin (4000IU/d), magnesium and Q10 and still vitamin K and Vitamin E are bit of challenge at times.

K-vitamin is probably fine if one eats broccoli, but I haven't found anything I would get down that is available here, I try to find spring onions as that I might be able to mince and put into meat, but I would need 50 grams of that to 500 grams of meat and it might be tad much.

K-vitamin has some meaning for bone health and proper wound healing etc.

E vitamin was important for immune system if I recall that right, that nutri-facts page has lot of information and seems quite legit too, but better cross check everything from WebMD or other such place if possible.

Many people don't really even think what they eat, they just keep hunger quiet and sure, they stay alive, but there is the bad part of this excellent human body, it do fine when malnutritioned, but after tens of years there starts to be issues, unexplained issues.

So making sure vitamins are there is one of the ways to make sure one has good life when older too.

edit: Potassium is one of very important minerals, it has been low for me a long time and I still struggle to get it enough, which is levels near 5000mg/d, 1 pound of veggies does not cut it really, would need 2 pounds each day.

Dizziness for example could be sign that one needs more potassium, of course it can be many other things, but potassium is something that if it is low makes one to have that bad feeling, bit tired, bit dull feeling and from my experience it does help to focus better if I get enough of potassium.
http://www.nutri-facts.org/eng/minerals/potassium/at-a-glance/

Today I had to eat 6 tomatoes (more than a pound!) in addition to normal diet to get even close to proper potassium level, usually orange juice supplies that, but I try to get lower on sugar.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take multivitamin, calcium, d-vitamin (4000IU/d), magnesium and Q10 and still vitamin K and Vitamin E are bit of challenge at times.

K-vitamin is probably fine if one eats broccoli, but I haven't found anything I would get down that is available here, I try to find spring onions as that I might be able to mince and put into meat, but I would need 50 grams of that to 500 grams of meat and it might be tad much.

K-vitamin has some meaning for bone health and proper wound healing etc.

E vitamin was important for immune system if I recall that right, that nutri-facts page has lot of information and seems quite legit too, but better cross check everything from WebMD or other such place if possible.

Many people don't really even think what they eat, they just keep hunger quiet and sure, they stay alive, but there is the bad part of this excellent human body, it do fine when malnutritioned, but after tens of years there starts to be issues, unexplained issues.

So making sure vitamins are there is one of the ways to make sure one has good life when older too.

edit: Potassium is one of very important minerals, it has been low for me a long time and I still struggle to get it enough, which is levels near 5000mg/d, 1 pound of veggies does not cut it really, would need 2 pounds each day.

Dizziness for example could be sign that one needs more potassium, of course it can be many other things, but potassium is something that if it is low makes one to have that bad feeling, bit tired, bit dull feeling and from my experience it does help to focus better if I get enough of potassium.
http://www.nutri-facts.org/eng/minerals/potassium/at-a-glance/

Today I had to eat 6 tomatoes (more than a pound!) in addition to normal diet to get even close to proper potassium level, usually orange juice supplies that, but I try to get lower on sugar.
Wow!  That's a lot of tomatoes!  And I love tomatoes but maybe not that much.  I'm pretty sure I don't get enough potassium either.   I think I'm low on everything!   It's hard to eat all the ice cream I want and still make room for all the food I have to eat to get all my vitamins and minerals.  Lol.  I'm being serious.  I really have a problem with sugar.  I think the RDA is a bit low on their daily recommendations.  Perhaps they think if a vitamin contains 25% of the daily value needed that we are automatically going to make sure we get that other 75%.  That's a lot of faith in us.  A lot of people think aw heck I take a vitamin so I can eat what I want, but they never noticed that vitamins are just a supplement, not a replacement, and not an excuse to eat all kinds of crap and get away with it.  Sooner or later it does catch up with us.  

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!  That's a lot of tomatoes!  And I love tomatoes but maybe not that much.  I'm pretty sure I don't get enough potassium either.   I think I'm low on everything!   It's hard to eat all the ice cream I want and still make room for all the food I have to eat to get all my vitamins and minerals.  Lol.  I'm being serious.  I really have a problem with sugar.  I think the RDA is a bit low on their daily recommendations.  Perhaps they think if a vitamin contains 25% of the daily value needed that we are automatically going to make sure we get that other 75%.  That's a lot of faith in us.  A lot of people think aw heck I take a vitamin so I can eat what I want, but they never noticed that vitamins are just a supplement, not a replacement, and not an excuse to eat all kinds of crap and get away with it.  Sooner or later it does catch up with us.  
It is a lot of tomatoes, had hard time getting them all in at one sitting, burp :D

There is lot more to consider, nutrition loss by heating, what percentage is taken actually in and again nutritional balance affects how much body absorbs of everything, some stuff might have lot of some vitamin but from other stuff you really get more even it has less, no heating, better absorption, so it takes a lot to really understand it all and I can say that I don't understand more than tip of the iceberg, but I try to learn more as I'm curious of how everything works.

Multivitamin supplement I take contains almost everything needed, label says 100% from RDA, but Vitamin E and A are not enough, there is no K at all and no calcium or potassium, I get most from food, but some are just bit hard to get from food, even after dropping sugar.

Orange juice has worked quite well when getting away from sweets, sure it has sugar, but it has also lot of potassium.

With C-vitamin, I have read that if one goes much over 300mg/d it can start to mess with exercising so that there is not so much improvement by conditioning and it only helps body to cure flu faster, not to prevent it.

I tend to get over 300mg/d of vitamin C (RDA here is 75mg/d, in US that is 90mg/d), all veggies I get have that and supplements have that, then orange juice if I drink that, has some Vitamin C too, body of course flushes out excess, but I try to limit it a bit and see if I can get more improvement from exercising.

Putting 10 dollars to jar each time one eats bad stuff might work too, being without money end of the month makes it easier to give up bad habits and that jar might be nice around Christmas to have :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone ever stay under the sugar limit that myfitnesspal allows for the day? I rarely eat refined sugar as in once a week or even less. My sugar comes from fruit and veg ect... Clean foods and I still go over every day. I'm not worried about it and I'm not going to try and make it lower but I'm just curious to know if anyone else is the same?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone ever stay under the sugar limit that myfitnesspal allows for the day? I rarely eat refined sugar as in once a week or even less. My sugar comes from fruit and veg ect... Clean foods and I still go over every day. I'm not worried about it and I'm not going to try and make it lower but I'm just curious to know if anyone else is the same?
I've gone over or been very close quite a few days this week. I put 1/2 tsp of sugar in my coffee but other than that, it's mostly just from fruits.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have gone over twice this week and both time I was over with sodium too. Both times were also days I ate fast food. I try not to but when you are running a lot with drs appointment you don't feel like cooking. I will try to do better next week. I did start something this week I have never tried and it was so good. I put honey in my tea. I usually use coffee creamer but there was so many calories in it. A half a serving of honey makes it sweet enough with a third of the calories and its better for me. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I wouldn't even worry if all my sugar came from natural sources like fruits and vegetables.  Just as long as they are non-GMO and organic (no man-made pesticides) and paired with a high fat to control the absorption.  As you already know, combining a healthy fat with organic fruits and vegetables will stablize the blood sugar and prevent spikes.  Paleo does have a lot to say about this.  As a nurse, we've always been taught to instruct diabetics that IF they want to cheat and eat sugar, they must combine that sugar with a high fat.  I do the same even with fruits.  One of my favorite snacks is an apple and a slice of hard cheese.  Parmagiano/reggiano is  my favorite!  When I have to work 2nd shift and drive home late when I'm tired, this is my go to snack to keep me awake during the drive.  And it doesn't hinder my sleep either, in fact, I sleep better after this snack.  

As you know, not all sugars are equal.  Raw organic honey is a much better choice than white table sugar.  One link I found says most sugar in the USA comes from GMO sugar beets that have been sprayed with pesticides.  That's not good!  Better to eat organic non-gmo and minimally processed real sugar, if you have to.   

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xylitol is not sugar technically, it is sugar alcohol, different chemistry but almost same taste, just fresh instead of table sugar's not so fresh taste.

I made chocolate drink with it today, this time I put 15g of unsweetened cacao powder, 35g Xylitol, 500g water and something around 0.5g of salt, cold water, that was quite awesome, does not rise blood sugar insanely and has less calories than when using sugar.

I use only Xylitol made from Birch trees as Xylitol made from Corn is not really the same.

edit: I have managed to get under sugar limit of 72 grams per day (some recommendation here, I'm not all too sure that is good limit or bad limit, but it means I can't use ketchup at all, no orange juice or just a little, I would not worry too much if one gets sugar from fruits, it is better source of carbs than white wheat, table sugar and so on.

Salt/sodium is another which leaves ketchup out completely, put more than 30 grams of that (which is almost impossible to taste) and it gives too much sodium to be able to get under recommendations, especially if you use cheese which has a lot of sodium, same goes for any bread or wheat product made from flour (for yeast to operate properly one needs sodium and wheat flour products have lot of weight which means lot of cumulatively added sodium).

But then again, I don't stress too much about sodium, I sweat enough to justify at least double of recommendations as 1 hour of my typical sweating removes 5 grams of sodium.

Last edited:

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't lost any weight, scale has not budged. Still 150 lbs. [emoji]128542[/emoji] Have made slight effort to eat cleaner and stepped on elliptical machine a few times. Strangely enough, I put on a pair of jeans yesterday size 29x36". Usually really super tight and uncomfortable, they were none too loose by any means but I could still breathe! The only thing I've recently started doing, drinking lemon water! Idk if that's made a difference but I'm going to keep it up! [emoji]127819[/emoji][emoji]127819[/emoji][emoji]127819[/emoji] it is yummy too!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't lost any weight, scale has not budged. Still 150 lbs. [emoji]128542[/emoji] Have made slight effort to eat cleaner and stepped on elliptical machine a few times. Strangely enough, I put on a pair of jeans yesterday size 29x36". Usually really super tight and uncomfortable, they were none too loose by any means but I could still breathe! The only thing I've recently started doing, drinking lemon water! Idk if that's made a difference but I'm going to keep it up! [emoji]127819[/emoji][emoji]127819[/emoji][emoji]127819[/emoji] it is yummy too!
If you can replace soda with lemon water, that certainly makes a difference, also any elliptical work has some effect.

Sometimes weight does not change for a while, but hip and waist measurement changes, also I have found that somewhere withing few days is the effect from action/effort, so it rarely happens for next day, that makes it sometimes hard to tell if there is change or not, but just keeping at it seems to work :D

Sweating shows immediately, but only if scale is reliable, my previous scale did show different readings if I leaned bit forward, my current scale shows same readings if I lean or if I don't, but fat percentage measurement is quite somewhere there, hydration level changes fat percentage quite a bit, but I can see some trend in there for morning weight ins for a month. Good idea is to book weight every morning one measurement for each row, all in same column, then after week or month it is easier to see if there is a trend, even it feels there is nothing happening, at end of month one can easily see what has happened during the month.

Oh yes, I got new all time low 85.9kg, (189 pounds).
Day before yesterday I started seeing bit lower weights at morning weight in and there has been quite bit of change, tomorrow morning some might be back as it was hard day today and I had to eat lot to compensate, there might be also bit of swelling in muscles, so some water weight will be there for few days, I guess.

During this month I have lost 4cm (~1.58 inches) from my waist, 5.1 or 3.1kg, latter is measurements with new scale, there was most likely 2 measurement with old scale as those are bit higher measurements than what new scale reports, so I would say it is 3.1kg which is 6.82 pounds.

From 17th day to 25th day weight did not really change much at all, there was no statistically meaningful change in fat percentage and waist decreased 1cm, I don't really know why, but starting from 20th day I cut calories a bit and started doing daily slow paced exercising. On 23rd day I did eat bit more than I should of and 3rd day after that my weight started decreasing, I doubt there is any connection there.

It is so slow to loose weight when close to target, it takes lot of patience it seems.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still need to get decent scale! I'm still drinking my 1 Pepsi a day but I'm noticing I'm not missing the other 4-5 other sodas I used to consume. It's getting easier. I've been stressed trying to introduce Nala Ava Marie and Clawdia Grace. Ugh, both kitty girls want to be the one & only. [emoji]128575[/emoji]

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I just had a panic attack this morning, at least I hope that's what it was.  I was driving back home from dropping off my weekly time sheets at work, when I had this feeling of dread overtake me and a weird feeling in my chest like pain but not physical, more emotional.  Then my heart started beating really fast.  Regular rhythm, as far as I know, but fast.  I was a little dizzy and I feared I would pass out, but as the seconds ticked on that didn't happen.  

I started praying!  Yes, I know I'm agnostic but what could it hurt?  After a few minutes I did calm down.  I didn't have my cell phone with me, which made things worse, so I put my emergency lights on in case I passed out and wrecked. The palpitations calmed down after about a minute or so.  

I came home, still trembly but much calmer, and took a magnesium glycinate 200mg.  Since then, I've been calm.  This may be what I need to do from now on.  I've been only on 200mg at night, but I believe I need more.  Some nutrtionists say you could take up to 800mg a day without fear of overdosing because most people don't get nearly enough.  

So what does this have to do with the weight loss page?  I've been thinking here lately my approach has been wrong.  For me, I need to focus on eating right and improving my nutrition.  I think I need to cut back on caffeine too.  That actually WAS my whole approach over 2 years ago when these unexplained dizzy spells started coming on me.  I was under such stress caring for my mom almost singlehandedly.  But just focusing on nutrition alone led to weight loss.  After almost 8 weeks I had lost 15 pounds and I truly wasn't trying.  (Is it TMI to say I'm post-menopausal and not supposed to be able to lose weight?)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday morning in Australia :wavey:
My weight is exactly the same and my waist 1/2cm bigger. I'm actually pretty pleased with that. I've gone from consuming 27-30% carbs per week to 45% and that was every single day this week. I've also been adding 100 calories on per day each week and I'm still maintaining. I exercise a lot and I think my body needs more than I've been giving it. I've also been doing 1 day of cardio per week and yesterday I added in another day to my week so that will be allowing me the extra calories also.
ginny ginny :hugs: I've never had a panic attack so I can't even imagine how awful it is. I love coffee. I just love the taste. I could drink it all day if the caffeine didn't make me mad. I drink coffee in the morning and then I switch to roasted dandelion tea. It has no caffeine but it tastes like coffee. Not the bestest tasting coffee ever but you soon get used to it. No one has ever told me it was yuck :lol3: I buy it from the health food isle in the supermarket. Health food shops sell it too for a higher price.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I just had a panic attack this morning, at least I hope that's what it was.  I was driving back home from dropping off my weekly time sheets at work, when I had this feeling of dread overtake me and a weird feeling in my chest like pain but not physical, more emotional.  Then my heart started beating really fast.  Regular rhythm, as far as I know, but fast.  I was a little dizzy and I feared I would pass out, but as the seconds ticked on that didn't happen.  

I started praying!  Yes, I know I'm agnostic but what could it hurt?  After a few minutes I did calm down.  I didn't have my cell phone with me, which made things worse, so I put my emergency lights on in case I passed out and wrecked. The palpitations calmed down after about a minute or so.  

I came home, still trembly but much calmer, and took a magnesium glycinate 200mg.  Since then, I've been calm.  This may be what I need to do from now on.  I've been only on 200mg at night, but I believe I need more.  Some nutrtionists say you could take up to 800mg a day without fear of overdosing because most people don't get nearly enough.  

So what does this have to do with the weight loss page?  I've been thinking here lately my approach has been wrong.  For me, I need to focus on eating right and improving my nutrition.  I think I need to cut back on caffeine too.  That actually WAS my whole approach over 2 years ago when these unexplained dizzy spells started coming on me.  I was under such stress caring for my mom almost singlehandedly.  But just focusing on nutrition alone led to weight loss.  After almost 8 weeks I had lost 15 pounds and I truly wasn't trying.  (Is it TMI to say I'm post-menopausal and not supposed to be able to lose weight?)
850mg is what endurance athletes take, top weight lifters 2000mg, that is of course total in a day, not just supplements. I had 880mg today it seems, bit more than I wanted, normally I target around 500mg total. I take 495mg as supplement on days I get less and when I work out more, one can't start taking magnesium all of sudden though, what I have read is that one needs to slowly increase amount in order to avoid diarrhea. Long term average of total magnesium is around 500mg/d for me though, so it is not too high, I don't supplement all days and from food there is no real limit how much you can have, body apparently don't take too much of it.

There is mention about 10 to 20% magnesium loss by sweating, so if total magnesium intake is 300mg one might loose 60mg and 240mg is bit close to low limit especially when bit higher amounts have been found to be beneficial.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17172008

This might be interesting to you:
Too much coffee, soda, salt, or alcohol intake as well as heavy menstrual periods, excessive sweating, and prolonged stress can also lower magnesium levels.
http://www.nutri-facts.org/eng/minerals/magnesium/at-a-glance/

You can work out with this site how much magnesium you are getting from food, also it has lists of food items that have most any mineral or vitamin and some other stuff, you can get micro nutrients from there, it is bit more work than web service but at least it is usable info:
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/category-list.php

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting information in those links, @JTbo!  Thanks!  

Btw, choose Mag. GLYCINATE   instead of oxide and your belly will thank you.  Oxide is cheaper but poorly absorbed, stays in the gut longer, hence diarrhea.  Glycinate is easily absorbed in the stomach regardless if you have enough stomach acid or not, and it goes to work quicker.  Still, like you said, you have to go slowly on any type mag. you get.  

do believe for some reason, coffee is a bit too much for me right now.  I'm gonna have to try either decaf or some other hot drink like @Tammat  suggested.  Our health food store has all kinds of tea and I'm pretty sure I can get the dandelion tea there.  

The first panic attack I ever had was back when Daddy was sick and in ICU the summer I graduated from nursing school.  Under lots of stress, plus the stress of watching him die :(  I ended up in the ER at the hospital where he was with a blood pressure of 180/120 (normally 90/50!).  The only lab out of whack was potassium was a little low.  

Also, another thing to consider is not to go by blood levels of magnesium to show deficiency, because the blood will pull it from the skeleton and muscles first in order to preserve the vital organs that need it. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made it through the weekend without gaining any weight. I actually lost weight. It was really hard, Saturday night I wanted to eat chips but I didn't buy them so I couldn't eat them. I wish I could just eat a serving of them but I always eat half the bag because they are my biggest weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.