The War Has Started

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On MSNBC they have information from the Pentagon that Saddam was in the bunker that was attacked last night. They still don't know if Saddam has been killed.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm hearing that Iraqi soldiers are surrendering, by the hundreds. A whole division, in the south came marching in, hands in the air.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All things considered, the casualty rates are pretty low, on both sides.

Most of the Iraqi army are unwilling conscripts, ill-trained and -equipped and poorly fed. Napoleon was right, when he said, "An army fights on its stomach." These guys know, from the last war, that we will feed and clothe them and get them the necessary medical care.

There are a lot of Iraqi refugees, here who were forced to fight, in the last war. They fled because of repercussions of surrendering. I'm happy to say that they all have jobs, some of them own their own businesses and all of them support us.

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else hear this: radio announcement....they think that Saddam has been hit/injured. To what extent, not sure but just want to know if anyone else knows anything more....

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have speculated this from the beginning. That first massive bombing they did was based on intelligence that Saddam and his sons were in that location. They say that after these bombs hit, the chatter on the official channels eerily died out. Some are saying that if Saddam were alive, he would be all over the airwaves, as it is not his style to hide no matter what. Others are saying that if both his sons were killed, it would of been like having his heart ripped out and worse than death and he would unleash a fury like no other. That is what I have heard about it, and as the days go on it seems like the thinking is stronger that he is either dead or wounded.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks for clearing that up Hissy, I was starting to wonder....they did say that they believe that the speech he did was prerecorded - any updates on that?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm watching MSNBC and they haven't said anything. They keep running a crawl, that say CNN has been kicked out of Baghdad but CNN isn't saying anything about it.

All of the southern oilfields have been secured and, when Americans and British troops liberated one city and tore down the posters of Saddam, the local people cheered.

The oil depot on the Gulf is in our hands, too. Remember, in 1991, Saddam opened the taps and sent a huge oil slick down the Persian Gulf.

Australian Special Ops are on the ground, too. At least, we have SOME standup allies.

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Some of this is sooooo confusing. One woman is on the airwaves right as I type this and is claiming that we are heading for World War 3. That this is now turning into a religious war???? huh? They are asking her to clarify her statements (she is in Baghdad) and she hasn't. All she said is that 'they' are meeting right now....whoever 'they' may be.

(*sigh* I am going to wait until I get home and watch the news. This is a call in radio station and everyone here is saying something different...)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Fox News, the helicopter that went down contained 4 US Marines, and 12 British Commandos. No surviviors. We are waiting to hear if they were any of "our" Marines from Camp Lejuene or New River. There have been helicopters all over the place here today. 2 Medical convoys went through town yesterday, heading for deployment. TV is scary enough, but seeing all the tanks and equipment, really brings it home that these are the same kids I deal with every day. I cannot imagine how Anne must feel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Whisker's mom
Anyone else hear this: radio announcement....they think that Saddam has been hit/injured. To what extent, not sure but just want to know if anyone else knows anything more....
I was listening to a military offical talk this morning. He was mentioning how they are doing things differently than the Gulf War. Back then, they announced many actions as they came up without necessarily having full knowledge if things were true or not. They were trying to keep the media in the know.

Now, they don't want to make any real statement concerning Saddam because they do not have the solid proof that he is injured or dead. If the Pentagon state anything now, they want to make sure of the facts. That is why the Pentagon has not made an official statement. They are being more careful with what they release this time around.

Another fact that they were talking about were the oil fires. Right now 7 are on fire, during the Gulf War close to 600 were burning.