The War Has Started

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't apologize for gallow's humor Anne. None of us can even imagine what its like, to live under the kind of threat that you do. Hopefully, Saddam will be neutralized before he gets a chance at attacking Israel.

Keep us posted, if you can and keep safe.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't IMAGINE how people in the affected and surrounding areas feel. Last night, right after the first air strike, thru my window lighting lit up the clear dark sky, followed by a rumble of thunder. I kno it's illogical to worry where I am, but my heart caught in my throat.

I'm not much of a religious person, here and there at best, but I prayed all day yesterday for peace, that Saddam would just give up, and George Bush would lay off, but no luck =/ Now that it's started, my support shifts completely to the soldiers. I truly hope everything works out as Bush claims it will, and that it will be as quick and painless as possible.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saddam has fired some of those banned weapons that he "doesn't have", at Kuwait. Guess that this proves the point that US intelligence has been trying to make, all this time.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There were also Al-Samoud (sp?) missiles, that he has supposedly been destroying after they were "miraculously" discovered a few weeks ago.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am praying for the safety of everyone involved.
I was a little disturbed by a comment made by Tom Brokow last night. He said that they were being very strategic of where they (the Americans) attack as in a few days "they will own the city" (refering to Bagdhad). I thought that the action was so that the Iraqi people could have freedom. I do hope that this is resolved with as little bloodshed as possible.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne stay safe and close to the home. I hope Ron does not have to have such a early taste of war.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aid that they were being very strategic of where they (the Americans) attack as in a few days "they will own the city" (refering to Bagdhad).
I really think that was a figure of speech...I also heard him say we are there to liberate the Iraqi people.Tom Brokow, is famous for making weird analogies...he use to tick me off on a regular basis. Afterall, he's a man. (joking guys!)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the rate that the Iraqi army seems to be surrendering, this may not take long, at all. Hussein has only about 15,000 loyal troops (Special Republican Guard). When faced with 300,000 well-trained and well-armed US troops, even THEY might give up, like rats deserting a sinking ship.

bendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
under this regime.
A lot of people will die, for no good reason.
and it will solve nothing.
All during this insane conflict I have found far more sense in the commentary of Saddam than of the American government.
Bush doesn't care about the Iraqi people, he wants control of the oil. He uses a lot of fancy-sounding catch pharses to try and get support.
I am sick with disgust at his actions, and sick with worry for what will follow.
I have hoped with every fiber in my heart that it would not come to this, that something would make that meglamaniac we have in office back down.
but congress rolled over and played dead
and it seems the UN can't do much either.
I hope someone finds someway to stop Bush before he totally destabilzes an already volitle area and before more lives are lost for his ego.

My worries with the cats and my finances pale in comparison to the events of the world. I snuggled the tiny kittens and gave everyone extra pats. It is all I can do here.

Who was it that said that world peace begins with peace at home?

I am out of words.

Bendy

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
katl8e's original post
Saddam has fired some of those banned weapons that he "doesn't have", at Kuwait. Guess that this proves the point that US intelligence has been trying to make, all this time.
katl8e: I agree....I guess this might be considered a phenomenon.....Saddam firing weapons he doesn't have....shocking. **cough**cough**gag

Baghdad was supposed to be destroying its stock of al-Samoud missiles, a successor to the Scud, and all SCUDS under the eyes of United Nations weapons inspectors....blah, blah, blah

>^,,^<
Kim

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bendy's original post:
All during this insane conflict I have found far more sense in the commentary of Saddam than of the American government.
Bendy - WOW! You are Ashamed to be an American? Do you really mean that? It 's obvious you don't like Bush but Saddam makes sense to you? That tyrant uses torture and rape to systematically abuse his people.

Remember Saddam's abuses:
The amputation of the tongues of those who utter abusive remarks about the president or his family.

Others include the pouring of acid into open wounds, electric shocks applied to the genitals, sexual abuse as a form of torture, the extraction of finger nails and toenails, and acid baths.

Eye gouging, electric shock and piercing hands with electric drills.

The Iraqi people lived in fear and they are victims of torture and oppression. Iraq is a "terrifying place to live" - aren't you grateful that you have your freedom?

**Peace**
Kim

bendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this country and what it stands for, but what Bush is doing in the name of our country is shameful.

I do not agree with Saddam's treatment of his people, but what he has said concerning BUSH makes a lot of sense.
He has said that Bush wants to set up puppet governments in the mid east so the USA can control it and I feel he is right.

Iraq has not done anything directly to the USA to warrant this attack.
This is Bush trying to show off how powerful he is, attacking a country that has a resource he wants and that he knows we can overpower. He is being a bully, and lives will be lost for his ego.

Bush has passed laws that take away an American's civil rights in the name of 'security' If suspected of terrorist activities people can be detained for no set amount of time, without access to a lawyer or due process.

This is not what the USA is supposed to stand for.

I think every country has the right to defend themselves. Why are *we* allowed to have weapons 'of mass destruction' but no one else is? Using the reasoning that Bush is using to 'justify' this attack, we could attack anyone we do'nt liek and similarly anyone coudl attack us. This is insanity!
Notice how Bush has been ignoring North Korea? why? because they could, and would, hurt us if we tried to threaten them.

Bendy

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think the difference may be Bush does not sell his weapons to terrorist organizations or use them on Americans in order to control us according to his own agenda.

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My God people....ENOUGH!

*sigh*

The world is at war.....can there not be any peace here amongst ourselves????

I'm at a loss......yes, I have spent 2 days following these war threads and reading everything everyone has to say to each other.

This thread here was not intended for what it has become....All I can see is it is escalating into the same as the other one....

And YES!!!!!! I believe in the freedom of speech so please do not throw that at me and YES....it is my choice to read a thread or not so I do not need to be told if I don't like what I read then don't read it....

I keep coming back to read in hopes that everyone can move on and try to be supportive of one another....alas....I can see it is useless.

I give up.....

I'll be back when the war is over.....

Have fun bickering and finger pointing....

I will stick to saying prayers for those that are involved.

Please, no need to respond to me, I will not be reading this anymore.

Carry on as you were.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ghyslaine: Just want you to know, I did not come in here to bicker and that I am not upset with Bendy even if we have opposite opinions... I simply wanted to know if she meant what she said when she posted that she was Ashamed to be an American.... it is ok to ask questions in here isn't it?

I am truly sorry if my post upset you. (I really mean that
)

My big focus today.... to pray for our soldiers over there FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOM!

*Peace*

Kim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I started this thread last night when the sirens started in Baghdad. I wanted everyone to know what was happening to our world at that moment. I was hoping to keep this thread as an update to news on the war.

There is already a thread meant for your views, opinions, discussion, debate further down the forum. I didn't want more *mighty* political fighting to go on here.

There are too many negatives going on right now. Please, all this bickering over who gets the last say is not helping right now. During times like this, there is no wrong or right.

And no this is not a flame, it's me asking everyone to put aside the *in-fighting* for at least this one thread.

Thank you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was watching the soldiers on the front lines late last night, and every so often, they got intelligence reports that told them to scramble to don their protective gear. Even with help, the process looks exhausting and they really must be ready to drop about now in the effort. They were told every time it was not a drill, but a real threat, then they were told to stand down.

Miitarily trained or not, those young kids have to be so scared to suddenly have to deal with the real terror of biological and chemical warfare. My heart goes out to all the people right now who are fighting in the midst of such evil intent.

bendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I voiced my heartfelt opinion and someone asked for clarification.
I know a lot of people will be confused by my stance of supporting the ideas behind my country but not supporting the current establishment's actions and reasoning. I felt it was important to say that not all americans are in agreement with what has happened.

I actually thought it was a very sane exchange. I"m sorry if people were upset by it.

I sincerely hope there is a quick end to this mess, with as few casualties as possible on all sides.

THAT is something I think we all can agree on!

Bendy

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im kinda enjoying this thread. I like to hear others opinions that are different from mine. That how i learn about different people. It take a lot of guts to post an unpopular idea and i respect that. We have got to take care to discuss the ideas rather than the poster behind them.
Im sorry if i offened any one but where else can i show the world how truly ignorant i am?