The War Has Started

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just in shock right now too...I'm almost on the verge of crying. I didn't think that I'd get this way, but my heart just aches right now. I pray that it will all be over soon and everyone will be ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bush will be giving a speech, I think in 15 - 20 min from now. Turn your television on if your interested.

Air raid sirens over Baghdad and cruise missles have been launched. The TV referred to it as a target of opportunity, basically a fixed target (building) was fired on.

I'm not wanting to be part of this historical event.

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Kass. I will turn the TV on. I probably won't be able to sleep anyway... I mean, I knew it was going to happen but I had this glimmer of hope that it wouldn't.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're watching the live video, from Baghdad. So far, not as spectacular as 1991 but I'll be up, most of the night, like I was then.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew it was coming, and even that it was probably going to be tonight, but it still came as a shock. My thoughts are with Anne and her family, and of course all of the men and women from all the coalition forces who will be involved in this, as well as the innocent Iraqi people. I hope this will be quick and relatively painless, as painless as war can possibly be.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kept hoping for a last-minute miracle. How strange it is to know we are watching a part of history right at this moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From CNN.com:

WASHINGTON ((CNN) -- The "opening stages" of military action against Iraq have begun, White House press secretary Ari Fleischer announced Wednesday night.

President Bush will address the nation at 10:15 p.m. ÉT, Fleischer said.

Fleischer's brief announcement came at 9:45 p.m., about an hour and 45 minutes after Bush's deadline passed for Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to leave the country or face military action.

"The opening stages of the disarmament of the Iraqi regime have begun," said Fleischer.

Air raid sirens were heard in Baghdad at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday (9:30 p.m. Wednesday ET) about 90 minutes after the U.S. deadline for Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to step down or face a U.S.-led military attack.

Bush's deadline for Saddam and his sons to leave Iraq passed Wednesday night without any sign the Iraqi leader was prepared to go into exile to avoid a U.S.-led military attack on his country.

"There is no evidence that the Saddam Hussein has left the country," Fleischer said soon after the 8 p.m. ET deadline passed.

"The president's mood this evening is: The American people are ready to disarm Saddam Hussein and they understand what's at stake. The military is ready. Our cause is just."

The United States and Britain have massed nearly 300,000 troops in the Persian Gulf region.

Earlier, Adm. Timothy Keating, commander of the U.S. 5th Fleet, said allied forces were prepared to carry out an "unprecedented" campaign: "If we go, the plans we have are unlike anything anyone has ever seen before."

In the hours leading up to the deadline, about a dozen U.S. and coalition warplanes dropped precision munitions on nearly a dozen Iraqi artillery pieces in the southern no-fly zone that could have been in range of American troops poised to invade southern Iraq, Pentagon officials told CNN.

There was also concern some of the artillery could be capable of using chemical weapons and U.S. planes had been conducting around-the-clock reconnaissance of the sites.

Warplanes also struck Iraqi cable repeater sites and command and control sites. In addition, at least one Al Ababil surface-to-surface missile launcher was struck.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen the video tape of the air strike several times now. While the air strike was going on there was a car going down the road. I am assuming that the car was driven by an innocent civilian person...that must have been REALLY terrifying!!!!!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This wasn't a wholesale bombing, like 1991. It was a surgical strike, at a specific target. The Pentagon has confirmed that, due to some new intelligence, Saddam was the target.

Obviously, there is someone in his inner circle providing information, as to Saddam's movements. I only hope that we got him. That will get this over with, a whole lot faster. In order to kill a snake, you have to cut off the head.

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - some Irak divisions are already surrendering........

Just hearing this...not sure if this will help but......at this point!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Well, so far it's a bit of an anti-climax. We went to sleep as usualy last night. I told hubby I hope we won't wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of sirens. He said not to wake him up if I hear the sirens - only if I see the flash of a nuclear explosion
I hope no one is offended by this bit of black humor - it sure made me laugh last night

On a more serious note, I believe we'll see some fireworks within the next 24 hours and then the Scud attacks risk will get higher. As long as Saddam feels it's not too bad, he won't be tempted to fire his missiles at us (at least I hope so). There is a lot of tension in Israel today. We were instructed to carry on with the daily routines but to take the chemical warfare protection kits (gas masks + atropin shots etc.) with us everywhere we go. Hubby took his with him to work. My mom and sister live right at the middle of the most dangerous spot (where most scuds hit last time), so they have already evacuated their home and went to stay with friends outside the danger zone.

I too hope this will end soon, but I'm afraid it will take at the very least several more weeks

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said not to wake him up if I hear the sirens - only if I see the flash of a nuclear explosion
LOL! Funny, Anne. Sounds like something Ozzy would say to Harriet...
:disturbed

Stay Safe!

>^,,^<
Kim