The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well Happy Birthday to Mooch and Noodles then!
 I guess you will have to spoil them extra today.

And it is nice that your hubby is more "hands-on" with the kids.  It's kind of cute that he also freaked out more about the sand, too.....lol.  Just don't tell him that...lol.

Here's my laugh of the day.  I have today down as Mooch and Noodles birthday.  I pulled up DH's calendar to check some dates...  He has it as tomorrow.  So who is right? 
  Maybe we will just celebrate for 2 days. 

so...a question to keep the ball rolling lol...do your kitties sleep in unusual places? i ask cuz at the moment Opal is in her favorite spot. im flaked out in bed and she is asleep om my head. she curls up on the pillow and purrs in my ear...more than once i have to move kitty tail off my face. sigh...love my babies lol.
I wish I could have taken a picture last night.  We recently got a sectional style couch and Noodles loves sleeping on the top of the pillow backs.  It's nice and wide and soft!  Last night she wanted to sleep on the furry throw that was on the back of the pillow I was leaning against.  Nothing new or unusual there; but then I shifted and almost knocked her off!  And then she settled back down with her tail and back feet hanging off into my face...  I guess that was what she thought of me moving!
  No disturbing the birthday princess on her birthday-eve!  Or birthday eve-eve?  I know I have old pictures of me giving them a birthday dinner somewhere around here.  That may lead me to a date!

Mooch is fetching milk rings I'm flicking for her while I type and finish breakfast.  My son is cracking up watching her.  Silly Mooch; if I put my hand down too soon to take the milk ring back from her she drops it and runs over for a petting. 

Speaking of breakfast; I made some awesome fluffy pancakes for dinner last night that I'm enjoying now.  Except for the fact that I managed to get balsamic vinegar on the bottom one...  I had roasted some potatoes and onions the other night with balsamic vinegar, crushed rosemary and thyme.  I figured they were close enough to home fries.  And they are.  I just didn't intend on the little splash of extra vinegar (because vinegar is THAT good!) to get on the pancakes (which is not THAT good).  Oh well!  At least it didn't affect the taste of my scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage crumbles.  I need a fruit here to balance all this out....  Can coffee be my vegetable?  It comes from a bean right?

I better get back to flicking Mooch's milky rings!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like those modifications on the bike.  I did not realize how much extra weight can be removed to "fine tune" a bike and allow us to go faster.  I just want one for summer biking on nature trails, but still if I remove excess weight, I may be able to go farther.
 I am afraid of going that fast though, so a "faulty bicycle" for downhill speeds would be preferred..:bigthumb: ..lol.....It would be nice if I attach a small motor to my bike Just for those uphill climbs....but then I guess this would not be a good workout.

@ the1whofeedsus   LOL....You bought the EXACT same bike that I have. It must have been a huge sale on those "defective", "manufacturing flawed" bicycles.  I need an engine for mine...:idea: ..lol
There are those electric motor add on kits for bicycles, such might be nice to have in one bicycle at least.

I think so that if motor gets one cycling more and without motor cycling is too daunting, then motor actually improves the workout as one gets out more :D

My excuse for today was that smooth ice that has water on top, I have studded tires, but German made are just too slippery and Indonesian made are too worn already. Finnish made should be ok, but very expensive.

I had also bit of time issues as I did that bicycle servicing, it took better part of the day actually.

One year ago I did loose around twice my bicycle's amount of weight, I could still get rid of my bicycle's weight, so making bicycle lighter has perhaps more of psychological point as I have gained a lot of performance by weight loss. I think that at the beginning I could cycle about 4 miles, not much more. Lot of gears is nice as I can keep level of exercise enough low so that I can increase time of workout and time is what does the work, it does not need to be hard or heavy workout.

@MoochNNoodles, such difference in dates must mean only 2 day party, true reason behind difference in dates might be that last year it felt too short :D

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's my laugh of the day.  I have today down as Mooch and Noodles birthday.  I pulled up DH's calendar to check some dates...  He has it as tomorrow.  So who is right? 
You could stay up 'til midnight today and then celebrate at 11:59 p.m.-12:01 a.m...

or maybe you celebrate today and DH celebrates tomorrow?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Happy Birthday, Mooch and Noodles!

We really ahve slowed down a bit on the babbling. I come into this thread, so how far behind I am and then don't post because I am overwhelmed. :anon:
Maybe subject of food would speed things up?

Do you lot get in your countries during Christmas those star shaped baked things that have plum jam at center?

Here is pic, might explain better http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joulutorttu

I'm not sure how international or national thing that is.

Anyway I have lately got dough for those from shop, it is thin frozen sheets in package, I cut those to squares and add minced meat that I have cooked earlier in them, then take corner and pinch that against another corner, then pinch two open sides together.
End result resembles a bit of Star Trek logo, but in oven shape change a bit.

Relatively inexpensive salty snacks that last long time and are not horribly unhealthy, not of course best health food either, but eating one or two of those are so filling that one don't need to eat for long time.

Something that I got from wikipedia that is perhaps better known and similar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff_pastry

One can of course put almost anything as a filling, those are need to be kept in fridge and I doubt they would survive more than 2 days, but they are so good that I doubt they will last for next day anyway :D
We definitely don't have those around here. They look quite interesting. :)

LeighAnn, I agree that you need to have the party at midnight. :lol3:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There's been an awful lot of babbling going on while I was busy away from the computer this weekend.

I ran my 10th Ragnar Relay last Friday and Saturday. Ragnars are all approximately 200 miles and this one was 203.1 miles. We have teams of 12 runners each running 3 legs. Or the really crazy people do it with teams of 6. We even had one 2-man team this year. It's been tried before, but this was the first time they actually finished the race.
That's over 100 miles each. :eek2:
Our team happened to be at the finish line (waiting for our last runner to come in) when the 2-man team crossed the finish line. The reception they got was amazing.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's been an awful lot of babbling going on while I was busy away from the computer this weekend.

I ran my 10th Ragnar Relay last Friday and Saturday. Ragnars are all approximately 200 miles and this one was 203.1 miles. We have teams of 12 runners each running 3 legs. Or the really crazy people do it with teams of 6. We even had one 2-man team this year. It's been tried before, but this was the first time they actually finished the race.
Our team happened to be at the finish line (waiting for our last runner to come in) when the 2-man team crossed the finish line. The reception they got was amazing.
Even with 12 that is quite bit of running, you must have great knees!

Congrats! :)

I did try running last spring, only short intervals for total distance of maybe 12 miles, that put me out from my legs for 2 weeks and off from cycling for 2 months. I have not attempted to run since. I got several issues around my knees, they did swallow very much and simply stopped functioning properly, so I thought that running is just not what I was designed for :D

Oh yes, I got ton of blisters too, I still have scars from those, I hope you did manage to avoid those awful blisters?

I managed to overheat my place, there is some hours delay between burning wood and warmth coming inside and it depends a lot from which kind of wood you burn that how much heat you get, so I'm now suffering from such heat that it is impossible to sleep. Also outdoor temperature is a great factor.
Heating with wood requires great deal of patience and foresight, I think I lack bit of both :D

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Even with 12 that is quite bit of running, you must have great knees!

Congrats! :)

I did try running last spring, only short intervals for total distance of maybe 12 miles, that put me out from my legs for 2 weeks and off from cycling for 2 months. I have not attempted to run since. I got several issues around my knees, they did swallow very much and simply stopped functioning properly, so I thought that running is just not what I was designed for :D

Oh yes, I got ton of blisters too, I still have scars from those, I hope you did manage to avoid those awful blisters?

I managed to overheat my place, there is some hours delay between burning wood and warmth coming inside and it depends a lot from which kind of wood you burn that how much heat you get, so I'm now suffering from such heat that it is impossible to sleep. Also outdoor temperature is a great factor.
Heating with wood requires great deal of patience and foresight, I think I lack bit of both :D
I did strain my left knee on my first 7-mile run. :eek:neeye: (Okay, so it's a black eye smiley. I couldn't find one for a knee. :tongue2:) I've never done that before and I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong. The second leg was also 7 miles and it just made the knee worse, partly because about 2 miles of it was on a trail that was mostly loose sand and rocks. I ended up having a teammate run my last leg, 9 miles. I could have walked it but that would have added at least two hours to our total time. I haven't had much trouble with blisters, but I did lose 3 toenails running my first Ragnar. That was because the "expert" at the running store sold me the wrong kind of shoes. :argh:

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
jtbo jtbo That looks like what's called "Blätterteig" in German, which translates as flaky or puff pastry. You can get the thin frozen sheets of it here, too, and then use a sweet or savory filling.

We had a beautiful near-spring day today. The trees have buds, the crocuses and primroses are blooming, and everybody is spending as much time as possible in the sun. Mogli wanted to play as soon as I got home and didn't stop for three hours. :lol3: He's ready to go to bed now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Fastest speed with that bicycle that I have got to downhill is bit over 80kph, which is bit over 50MPH, at uphill speed is not even 1/10th of that, must be some fault in bicycle, I'm sure
OMG, I think I manage about 8kph going down hill so that is quite impressive to me!   And if I made if further than 5k I would be stunned.....   I don't think I was born with the muscles required for cycling, I swear they are not the same as the ones humans need for anything else.  That coupled with those cycle design flaws makes it virtually impossible for me to move forwards on a cycle unless it has either a motor like @cat nap, or someone else assisting by pushing me along with their hand on the back of my saddle. 

Here below freezing temperatures typically continue 2 months more, not sure how it goes this year, spring at this early would be awesome, but I doubt such will happen, there might be arctic breeze happening sometime next month and that means really cold weather.

This might be interesting for some, this is not the largest variation we get, but pretty close already, here winter can be so wildly different between years that it is bit like being in other country some years:

At 2010 beginning of January was like this:

4 years and 1 day later at same location, but pic taken from different angle:

2011 February we had like this:

This year, temperature has not been very much into negative numbers, sadly my temperature logger did broke down in 2012.

This is full year from 2009 November to 2010 November, there are some bits without data as logger had tendency to fail at times, but that year had very warm summer, rarely warm and rarely long actually, also winter was quite cold.

There really is not knowing what weather will bring next month, or season or year, as it can be so different, but mild long summer would be nice, preferrably starting from next month and lasting at least until next year
   That is quite a change in the weather you have there!  Your cat seems to be happier with this year's climate but it would be worrying if this warmer trend continued I think. 

Speaking of breakfast; I made some awesome fluffy pancakes for dinner last night that I'm enjoying now.  Except for the fact that I managed to get balsamic vinegar on the bottom one...  I had roasted some potatoes and onions the other night with balsamic vinegar, crushed rosemary and thyme.  I figured they were close enough to home fries.  And they are.  I just didn't intend on the little splash of extra vinegar (because vinegar is THAT good!) to get on the pancakes (which is not THAT good).  Oh well!  At least it didn't affect the taste of my scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage crumbles.  I need a fruit here to balance all this out....  Can coffee be my vegetable?  It comes from a bean right?

I better get back to flicking Mooch's milky rings!
MoochNNooodles, you definitely have to celebrate for 2 whole days.  After all, you have 2 dates recorded and 2 cats; they deserve to be celebrated in style. 
   No scrimping!

As for those coffee beans being fruit - of course they are.  They are surely in the same food category as cocoa beans which are well known to be one of many people's 5 a day rations.  

That's over 100 miles each.

Congratulations @Goldycat, that is a wonderful achievement. 
   However while you may have had a lot of babbling to catch up on and it seemed a lot to get through I am a little worried we might still struggle to meet our end of month target.  I honestly thought the 750 mark would have been reached before I got home today.  I am quite stunned that we are not there yet. 
  We need to get busy with the babble. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
jtbo jtbo That looks like what's called "Blätterteig" in German, which translates as flaky or puff pastry. You can get the thin frozen sheets of it here, too, and then use a sweet or savory filling.

We had a beautiful near-spring day today. The trees have buds, the crocuses and primroses are blooming, and everybody is spending as much time as possible in the sun. Mogli wanted to play as soon as I got home and didn't stop for three hours. :lol3: He's ready to go to bed now.

Blooming? :eek: In one garden where some of the snow has melted a have a few inches of daffodil greens poking up. :nod:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We definitely don't have those around here. They look quite interesting.

LeighAnn, I agree that you need to have the party at midnight.
That can be done!  I'm usually up then anyway!  And on TCS!  So midnight party for M&N on TCS?

Wow that is awesome!!  I cannot image in the kind of dedication it takes to be able to run that distance!!
Originally Posted by MServant  

As for those coffee beans being fruit - of course they are.  They are surely in the same food category as cocoa beans which are well known to be one of many people's 5 a day rations.  
That's what I'm afraid of! 

Mooch has been celebrating her birthday by being glued to my hip whenever she can.  She's got her eye on a bird out the back window now.  She's looking quite intense over there...I don't dare break her concentration!  Noodles is starting her routine beg for dinner.  3 hours early; right on schedule.

I ran to the grocery store for some meat and a few things.  I ended up going into the Dollar General in the same shopping center first.  I'm looking for some more sturdy baskets for a cubby storage thing we bought for the kids toys.  I've heard the fabric cubes that are made for them don't hold up very well. 

We ended up walking out with a Hula-hoop instead. 
  DD had a few dollars left and she has been begging for one.  Since we got home she has been in the kitchen trying to figure out how to use it.  I tried to show her; but it's the smallest size one they had and I think I'd need to work at it with a grown up size one to get it right.  She's so determined!  I told her she might have to practice lots of days before she learns how to use it.  Or I'm going to have to hide the thing!  When DS goes down for a nap I may take her outside with it; but her coat will probably just make using it harder.  We will see I guess!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I think I manage about 8kph going down hill so that is quite impressive to me!   And if I made if further than 5k I would be stunned.....   I don't think I was born with the muscles required for cycling, I swear they are not the same as the ones humans need for anything else.  That coupled with those cycle design flaws makes it virtually impossible for me to move forwards on a cycle unless it has either a motor like @cat nap, or someone else assisting by pushing me along with their hand on the back of my saddle. :lol3:
:lol3:    That is quite a change in the weather you have there!  Your cat seems to be happier with this year's climate but it would be worrying if this warmer trend continued I think. :eek:

MoochNNooodles, you definitely have to celebrate for 2 whole days.  After all, you have 2 dates recorded and 2 cats; they deserve to be celebrated in style. :party2:    No scrimping!

As for those coffee beans being fruit - of course they are.  They are surely in the same food category as cocoa beans which are well known to be one of many people's 5 a day rations.  :nod:

Congratulations @Goldycat, that is a wonderful achievement. :clap:    However while you may have had a lot of babbling to catch up on and it seemed a lot to get through I am a little worried we might still struggle to meet our end of month target.  I honestly thought the 750 mark would have been reached before I got home today.  I am quite stunned that we are not there yet. :eek:   We need to get busy with the babble. :D
I tend to get bicycle if I need to walk further than 50 meters, if I need to walk 400 meters my feet start to hurt really bad, maybe I have some sort of mutation :D

Actually if these milder winters continue, that car (Tiger) might like it as according to Cat O Logic it goes something like this:
Cat like bug
Bug like warm
Bug grows and makes more bugs
Cat get more bigger bug
Cat happy :D

@Goldycat, loosing toe nails sounds really horrible :( I am sometimes bit mean, for such I might of took nails and returned those to shop for that 'expert' to have something expertly to explain, face of that 'expert' might of been worth to see in such event.
Sorry to hear about your knee, it is certainly frustrating when such happens.

@jcat, that "Blätterteig" is same here too "Lehtitaikina", not sure if there is "Sheet dough" in english, but that would be direct translation :)

3 hours of playing, even I would be exhausted of that much, that should result lot of twitching paws when sleeping :D

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

@GoldyCat......    Uhhh, I had to go and find my "calculator feature" in the computer and try to figure out how many miles that is per person.  I came up with about 20 miles in total.  Does that mean that you run about 7miles (11.26km) in one day, rest, then run 7 miles the next day....plus throw in another 7miles on each day?

I agree with JTbo, I would definetly return those "expertly advised" runners shoes and demand a coupon to the nearest day spa.  How many years did you have to train for this type of long distance running?
 There are those electric motor add on kits for bicycles, such might be nice to have in one bicycle at least.

I think so that if motor gets one cycling more and without motor cycling is too daunting, then motor actually improves the workout as one gets out more

One year ago I did loose around twice my bicycle's amount of weight, I could still get rid of my bicycle's weight, so making bicycle lighter has perhaps more of psychological point as I have gained a lot of performance by weight loss. I think that at the beginning I could cycle about 4 miles, not much more. Lot of gears is nice as I can keep level of exercise enough low so that I can increase time of workout and time is what does the work, it does not need to be hard or heavy workout.

@MoochNNoodles, such difference in dates must mean only 2 day party, true reason behind difference in dates might be that last year it felt too short
@JTbo.....Yes I have seen those kits, but I am not sure if they are allowed on the road without a special "moped-like" or "electric bike" license.   I think you are right, maybe in summer I will look into this, so that I can be motivated to bike more.  Someone told me the kits are not overly expensive.

I also have to inquire about your "temperature keeping Logs" , because that is such a great idea, and such an amazing program.  It would be beneficial here, since then I would be able to map the various electrical costs, heating and cooling, and also just fun to look at.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@MoochNNoodles, hoola hoops are supposed to be fantastic excersize for the waist line so perhaps practice with DD would be a good partner for the 'beans' diet'?  
  I used to have a hoop but never mastered the art: possibly because in my life the largest line around the body is the waist line..... (or would be if I wasn't good at storing fat in one or two other places as well. 
  )  

I am feeling quite positive about living in a cool country now after reading JTbo's theories on bug growth, I like to think not too many species here are larger than the evil chaffer grub but if things got warmer they might end up the size of a large slug and that is not a nice thought.  Come to think of it large slugs aren't that nice, and they carry lung worm don't they?  I don't want to get any super size spiders or anything, so cool is where I want to be....  I have noticed that since getting central heating in the apartment 8 years ago I get far more spiders and moths inside than I used to, and the mice NEVER used to venture in.  The mice thing might have had more to do with my tabby girls being less friendly to them than Mouse has been though  (no patting on the back when they first met or anything, just straight forward cat chase mouse cat try to eat mouse).  

I am now going to look out for this midnight Mooch and Noodles birthday bash 
but I'm not sure on how the time zones work for what time it would be here - why is life so complicated? 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

@GoldyCat......    Uhhh, I had to go and find my "calculator feature" in the computer and try to figure out how many miles that is per person.  I came up with about 20 miles in total.  Does that mean that you run about 7miles (11.26km) in one day, rest, then run 7 miles the next day....plus throw in another 7miles on each day?
 I agree with JTbo, I would definetly return those "expertly advised" runners shoes and demand a coupon to the nearest day spa.  How many years did you have to train for this type of long distance running?
This is an open road race and the legs are all different lengths depending where they can get permits to set up the exchanges and have enough parking for the vans. The legs vary from 2.5 miles to 13.5 miles. We start on Friday morning, run through the night and finish some time Saturday afternoon. The regular teams usually have two vans with 6 runners in each. The first 6 run their first legs then hand off to the second van. Then you drive the next major exchange to meet the second van when runners 7-12 finish their first leg. Then it starts all over again . . . and again. My legs happened to be the longest total distance this time, although not the longest individual leg. That 13.5 miles is more than a half marathon and I don't do those.

You'd think being team captain would have some perks. Hmm, what's wrong with this picture? How did I end up being assigned the most miles?:slant:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Goldycat, when I started to read your last post I thought you were talking about your legs, not the legs of the race!  Honestly, I need to get some new brain cells, but it did make for a fun read until I reaslized my error. 
   Maybe that's how your team thought you should run the longest leg, because you have the longest legs? 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Are you on the east coast? I wanna see this party if I can!

Happy birthday, Mooch!
Yep I'm on the East Coast. 

@MoochNNoodles, hoola hoops are supposed to be fantastic excersize for the waist line so perhaps practice with DD would be a good partner for the 'beans' diet'?  
  I used to have a hoop but never mastered the art: possibly because in my life the largest line around the body is the waist line..... (or would be if I wasn't good at storing fat in one or two other places as well. 
  )  
I am now going to look out for this midnight Mooch and Noodles birthday bash 
but I'm not sure on how the time zones work for what time it would be here - why is life so complicated? 

Hmm....  Well I tried probably a dozen times now and I can't get the thing swinging.  I used to when I was a kid!  My Mom may still have my old hula hoop!  But for now; I'm going to blame my lack of hula-hooping abilities on the small size of this particular hoop. 

I'll be sure to post a picture of the party for 3 at my house.  Right now I'm just getting looks because it's 8 minutes to dinner time and they are practically starved to death of course.  I'm cold though so I think I'll feed these 2 and curl up under a blanket for a few.  My DD insisted on going outside for about 20 minutes.  It's windy and cold!  It just kind of works right into you!  The nice thing is I noticed we are getting a bit of a green blush to the yard.  It's the weeds coming up under last year's grass and weeds; but I'll take it!  There are some tiny tiny buds on the bushes and trees too.  Tiny.  but they are there.  I hope this next cold spell doesn't completely take the green away.  I wish I'd planted some bulbs under the hedges so we could be looking for those to pop up. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an open road race and the legs are all different lengths depending where they can get permits to set up the exchanges and have enough parking for the vans. The legs vary from 2.5 miles to 13.5 miles. We start on Friday morning, run through the night and finish some time Saturday afternoon. The regular teams usually have two vans with 6 runners in each. The first 6 run their first legs then hand off to the second van. Then you drive the next major exchange to meet the second van when runners 7-12 finish their first leg. Then it starts all over again . . . and again. My legs happened to be the longest total distance this time, although not the longest individual leg. That 13.5 miles is more than a half marathon and I don't do those.

You'd think being team captain would have some perks. Hmm, what's wrong with this picture? How did I end up being assigned the most miles?
Thanks  @GoldyCat, I've only ever watched running on t.v. as in the Ironman, or summer olympics, or high lights of some marathons,  but never heard of "relay" races.  I guess you got the longest total distance because you are the fastest....hence....you are the captain.  Either that or it is because you have the strongest legs and are the "anchor".

@Goldycat, when I started to read your last post I thought you were talking about your legs, not the legs of the race!  Honestly, I need to get some new brain cells, but it did make for a fun read until I reaslized my error. 
   Maybe that's how your team thought you should run the longest leg, because you have the longest legs? 

Don't feel bad, Mservant, I was the one who asked the question and was blown away that they run during the night.  I too got confused in all that "leg" talk, but originally it was the math that I could not figure out.  Now atleast I can picture them running.  200 miles equals 321.87km....Its like running from one city to another in two days....wow.