The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a great place for the cats where they can escape to and just enjoy.  All us creatures need places like these...like a small ``oasis``.  I have never been in a sauna, and would imagine that it is very relaxing for tired muscles and also soothing for the skin, but.... Is it not alot of work in that you have to have extremely hot rocks and some sort of fire going to heat those rocks?  It does sound warm and relaxing.:9:  
They are actually above the sauna at upstairs that is storage space, chimney goes trough that space, it is made of bricks and building is wooden. There is small ledge at chimney where it pops trough roof of sauna, that is floor of upstairs storage space and it is such place where they can fit. Sauna heats chimney to hand warmth up there, so it is certainly nice place for them to be, there is also lot of straw and bit of sawdust and as that is only insulation whole roof of sauna and section of floor at upstairs get warm, probably quite nice for them to fell sleep and hunt mice.

Sauna itself is 3x3x3 meters roughly, mine is from early 1950's, so it is far larger than modern saunas, but it does heat up quite fast, i load up firewood and after those start to be burnt I add another set and sauna is ready to use, I'm not sure how long it takes, but perhaps 30minutes from +2C to +80C, then I usually get temperature to bit over +100C, about hour in there and I must say it is quite relaxing, so much that I often fell asleep after a sauna when cooling off. I'm not 100% about my sauna temperature meter being perfectly accurate, I should sometime check that with another one.

Best bit of Sauna is that it cleans your skin, as in shower you really can't get rid of all dead skin, but in sauna all that dead skin that causes itching and feeling of tight skin etc. gets off without much rubbing.

Then there is those modern electric saunas, that don't burn wood, but haven't found single one that would of worked well, in those steam burns and still air feels so dry that it burns lungs, where as at least my wooden sauna has softer steam and I haven't had breathing issues even when using very high temperatures.

As I make my own firewood (I have little forest where I grow trees), it is of course bit more work, but not too much, I tend to warm sauna 1 or 2 times a week. Summer time more often, those mosquito and horse fly bites need to be taken care of and sauna cures that itch too, or maybe it is a placebo effect, but no itching bites after sauna, what ever the reason.

Some say that moose fly does not die in sauna, well at least they stop moving, at autumn when I go to collect some berries from forest those tend to get into hair, there can be more than 10 of them and they are bit difficult to get rid of, but they leave voluntarily after a short while in sauna, or at least bit easier.

There would be more of them walking inside the shirt if I would not have net hats and net shirt that do protect quite a bit, but still not perfectly. They have never bit me, but just crawl under the shirt and in hair, quite annoying to get rid of, but luckily they don't attach too tightly to my hair, for some they grab really tight. Might have something to do with that I use wood tar shampoo, I like the smell of tar and I use wood tar for many other things too, bolt threads, skies etc. No need for complex chemicals when one stuff can do it all :D

I have one old pic of my sauna, I have replaced stones and made repairs to chimney after this pic, but can't find never pic now:

Bottle on the wall was there when I moved, reason is rather unknown to me, maybe they did warm the sauna until water did boil :D

Funny thing is that I did not like sauna when I was young, I used to get black outs when coming out from the heat, but haven't had that issue with this sauna.

I don't know what Kiuas is in english language, it is heat source of sauna, next to it barely visible in pic is water heater, I burn wood under that and it has water container, direct translation would be cauldron, but it is not the same, since last summer I have only used that to heat water, I have got my electricity consumption to be really low, also I do all the cooking with wood heated stove, lot of axe swinging needed, but good bit is that I don't need to pay as much electric bills. Also wood is renewable energy source and making firewood keeps body in better shape.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
......Then there is those modern electric saunas, that don't burn wood, but haven't found single one that would of worked well, in those steam burns and still air feels so dry that it burns lungs, where as at least my wooden sauna has softer steam and I haven't had breathing issues even when using very high temperatures.
I don't know what Kiuas is in english language, it is heat source of sauna, next to it barely visible in pic is water heater, I burn wood under that and it has water container, direct translation would be cauldron, but it is not the same, since last summer I have only used that to heat water, I have got my electricity consumption to be really low, also I do all the cooking with wood heated stove, lot of axe swinging needed, but good bit is that I don't need to pay as much electric bills. Also wood is renewable energy source and making firewood keeps body in better shape.
Thanks for the info on the sauna, JTbo.   I am going to have to try one of those electric ones first since they are offered at some fitness gyms but I will make a note of the "drier air" and ask about the "softer steam" I'll ask them how they make the steam and heat up the room.

I googled "Kiuas" in english and came up with "a Finnish wood burning stove for sauna", but your explanation and photo gives me a better idea of how it actually heats the wood and where the stones go.

It would be great if the heat could be harnessed to stay inside some more, so that you only had to use that one stove for a whole area of say 20x20 feet which i think is about 7x7 meters.

Our electricity bill is so high and we use furnace oil to heat in the winter, many here in ontario, use natural gas and up north it is propane or wood stoves plus electricity.  It would be great to use solar or wind but I think this is mostly for lights.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@JTbo, that sauna sounds amazing but I think I might worry a bit about bears and other wild animals being outside waiting for me unless it was part of my house!  I do like saunas although find steam rooms are more gentle on my skin and I can stay in them a little longer.  My body does not take heat well and it takes me a long time to cool down even if I go for that shock tactic of cool water or shower following one.  I used to swim outdoors regularly but if I went for a steam or sauna I would still look bright red for the rest of the day no matter how cool my swim was. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the US and personally I love the two day shipping with no minimum purchase but if they raise the price in the US it's already about $80 dollars so it would be difficult to decide. I wish they would split up the prime instant video from the prime shipping.  I already have netflix and prefer their selection to Amazon's selection so it's about what is most useful to you.
Thinking about this, we got two Amazon deliveries just this week that were under the free-shipping limit. We order a lot, so Prime is worthwhile even with the price increase. We'd miss the overnight shipping, too.
I'm curious about what films and TV series they'll offer here. Hopefully they won't all be in German. Not that I have any trouble understanding it, but I dislike dubbed films and series. The voices are all wrong, and a lot does get lost in translation.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about what films and TV series they'll offer here. Hopefully they won't all be in German. Not that I have any trouble understanding it, but I dislike dubbed films and series. The voices are all wrong, and a lot does get lost in translation.
I too find it hard to follow some foreign films, but only because I read the sub-titles too slow.  I hear what you are saying about "dubbing" the voices.....but this I would prefer...even if it were not as accurate.

Some foreign language films are amazing in the original, like ones from Spain with Penelope Cruz and others which are too creepy to mention. I prefer my "happy hollywood fluff endings" over ones that are too disturbing.  I like to be happily entertained as opposed to watching ones where the hero does not make it.

@MServant  .....How goes the weekend without t.v.?  It cannot be that bad.  You will probably not even miss it.  It is just the shock of not having it, that you miss.  Now you will see that other things will occupy your time.  Just do not go into t.v. overload when it does come back on....like watching hours and hours and hours.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amazon is raising its price for Prime here by €20 ($27.40), so it'll be €49 ($67), which is steep for a small country. In four days' time we'll be getting Prime Instant Video, but is it worth the higher price?
We have decided to keep both Netflix and Amazon.  I have found some things on Amazon that aren't on Netflix.  I guess it depends on what you watch.  There are also things that we can buy through Amazon that aren't included in Prime and not on Netflix.  I do like the free shipping too.  I feel like sometimes we've purchased extra things just to get to the free shipping.  Things that could have waited or we might not have gotten.  Its usually just something small; but those few dollars add up.  I'm not sure at this point which is a better use of our money.  But we cancelled cable TV; so the cost of Prim and Netflix together are still MUCH MUCH cheaper than our cable bill was! 

The only thing I miss about cable is some of the old shows I like that aren't on Netflix or Amazon.  It seems like if it's still popular as a rerun show; they don't have them.  It's tempting to buy the DVDs for some of them; but not unless I find a good deal.  For kids stuff; they both have some really great things.  It's nice to stick on something like Sesame Street whenever I need a few minutes of quiet or to make a phone call.  It's easier to avoid things I don't want the kids watching too.  Unless they get a hold of the remote.  I need to explore parental controls more for both.  We have Amazon controlled with a pin at least and netflix has the "kids" section; but I haven't looked to see if we can keep them out of the regular section easily.

I miss getting the Weather Channel too.  Their website just isn't the same.  I'm getting used to Weather Nation though.  I understand why some people get tired of all the shows on the Weather Channel; but they are good for background noise too.  When we had the Weather Scan channel I'd put that on in the background all the time. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Am I the only one that doesn't have Netflix or some service like that? I'm really starting to think I am. :lol3:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have anything like that, but we rarely watch TV shows or movies. Maybe we'll watch more with the Amazon Prime videos.

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one that doesn't have Netflix or some service like that? I'm really starting to think I am.
Don't worry, you're not alone.  We don't have Netflix.  We don't have a DVR either (I'm not 100% sure what that is even, I just hear people talking about it, and it sounds like something lots of people have).  Like Jcat, we rarely watch TV.  Well, except now that the Olympics are on.  We watch that like it's our religion!

I think I just have a hard time paying even more money to watch TV.

chellma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have Netflix or any of those things.  I have Direct TV and they have everything I want.   They used to have The Weather Channel, but cancelled it.  I'm sorry. The replacement isn't nearly as good.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't have Netflix or any of those things.  I have Direct TV and they have everything I want.   They used to have The Weather Channel, but cancelled it.  I'm sorry. The replacement isn't nearly as good.
Out of curiosity; what did they replace it with?  Are they the ones who dropped CBS last year too?  My in-laws dropped what they had after losing CBS. 

We got rid of cable about a year ago because the prices were creeping up a few dollars here, twenty there.  It seemed like every couple of months we were getting a notice about new fees or things we were supposed to be charged for but weren't so they were adding it on.  We didn't watch the majority of the channels they offered.  And to get the ones we would have liked we would have had to go up a tier.  The prices were just beyond what we cared to pay.  We've had a Wii for years but never got Netflix on that.  I guess we didn't think of it.  We were using it to pull Youtube things up now and then.  But that's it. 

We've never had a DVR either.  Just another fee to rent or something to buy.  There have been times I would have enjoyed it.  But like smartphones; I'm ok without it.  I do like how I was watching a movie through Amazon on the TV the other day in my kitchen.  Then I finished it on my kindle fire.  It picked up right where it left off in the kitchen. 

I really need to finish my grocery list and go shopping now.  No one tell my husband I'm on TCS babbling again ok?
  I always think I'll just check this one thread and it'll be real quick.  Then something else catches my eye.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@cat nap, thank your for asking about how my TV withdrawal was going. 
  I didn't manage to call the help line but thankfully by the time I got in from work today the system seemed to have re-tuned and I managed to get my channels back after re-tuning my set for the 3rd time this week...   Nicely in time for the weekly viewing of The Voice, which my house guest and I are addicted to!  It was her birthday today so I bought some stuff at work to have as a birthday tea with her: she said she liked salmon so like the kind hearted soul that I am (or stupid person) I bought a salmon gratin thing for us plus a pea and leek side dish then added some fresh vegetables on the side.  Amazingly it all worked AND - perfectly timed for the finish of our program.   I didn't burn the ready made salmon gratin in the oven and managed to heat the peas and other vegetables in the microwave so quite pleased with my self. 
   For all those who are familiar with my eating hanbits a) they are not usually healthy, b) I hate fish and c) I hardly ever cook something that takes more than 10 minutes so this was a rare meal indeed.  My young guest seemed to enjoy it which was the main point so I am happy. She is far from home and family and I thought it would be the kind of thing I would like if it was me; I asked her and she said yes as she had no plans to go out partying.

As for getting back in to watching mindless TV, it only lasted so long as the neighbour's planned party got in to swing pretty early around 8 pm and the noise has been cranking up since then. We gave up on the living room around an hour ago (10-30 pm) and I am now sitting in bed with my lap top and trying to block out the screams and shouting going on outside my front door. 
  I'd join in but they're only about 19 and I'm older than their mothers.   Was chatting with another neighbour earlier and we thought maybe it would be a laugh to all go and join in  - take over one of the party rooms, maybe the kitchen where all the interesting stuff goes on. 
  I'd rather be comfy in bed with my little fur-boy though and my neighbour has a 10 month old daughter to snuggle in with.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
......  I'd join in but they're only about 19 and I'm older than their mothers.   Was chatting with another neighbour earlier and we thought maybe it would be a laugh to all go and join in  - take over one of the party rooms, maybe the kitchen where all the interesting stuff goes on. 
  I'd rather be comfy in bed with my little fur-boy though and my neighbour has a 10 month old daughter to snuggle in with.
I would say that Birthday meal was very healthy.  Here you are lucky to get a cupcake with a candle on it from a co-worker.  At home its usually a store bought cake with no candles...okay maybe one for every decade....we do not want to burn down the cake.

So you are a reality tv addict? ...be it musical reality t.v.....hmmm....I too like "the voice" but our version is probably different than yours.  I only watch it occasionally and then channel surf.  I usually watch comedy shows like Saturday Night Live, or Big Bang Theory weekly and throw in a hospital drama or murder mystery on occasion.  Right now my addiction is watching the Olympics which end tomorrow...then I will go into withdrawal for two weeks.

So you and your neighbour were thinking about "crashing" the party?  Since they are that young they'd probably get you to cook or clean up afterwards....so, yes, being comfy in bed with Mouse sounds a whole lot better. lol

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
 Big Bang Theory. I like Big Bang Theory. 
  Reminds me of too many people I knew in my youth and that I grew up with.....   good laugh.   I love the Olympics too but haven't managed to watch that much of this year's events.  I had a major withdrawal after the last summer Olympics.   I don't like a lot of reality TV, mostly singing stuff and the skating and dancing ones we have here but not ones where people are just sitting about and trying to get famous doing nothing, I can't stand those ones.  Ones like Big Brother that we have here I think are like watching people being used like lab animals and it makes my skin crawl.  I don't get why anyone enjoys them as they seem to exploit people who are desperate for fame or money? 
  Each to their own though I guess.

I am currently comfy in bed with Mouse at my side but we are not resting as the party is going on out on the landing of the apartment block and into the street (which my bedroom faces out on to) so it's pretty noisy.  Not much hope of sleep for a while which is a shame given I have to be up and out to open a charity shop in about 10 hours time....  At least Mouse isn't stressing about the noise.  I may try and settle down in a bit and put a CD book on to see if I can block the noise out.

chellma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was replaced with Weather Nation.  DTV threatened to drop CBS, but were thwarted  by customers threatening to cancel.  I don't need a DVR or Smart Phone.   If my phone makes and receives calls, it is smart enough for me. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

I am currently comfy in bed with Mouse at my side but we are not resting as the party is going on out on the landing of the apartment block and into the street (which my bedroom faces out on to) so it's pretty noisy.  Not much hope of sleep for a while which is a shame given I have to be up and out to open a charity shop in about 10 hours time....  At least Mouse isn't stressing about the noise.  I may try and settle down in a bit and put a CD book on to see if I can block the noise out.
See, that is what I find amazing about cats...they seem to be so adaptive.  My dog would bark and bark if he heard loud shouting, or banging, but my cats would always just quietly watch, then snooze, then maybe walk around.  My Spotty just does not like it when I raise my own voice while talking, or on the phone, so he is kind of noise sensitive, but he does always just want to calm me down, I think.  Or else its his way of saying "quiet please.  this is not a rock concert."

I think the appeal of Big Brother is just as you've said....It is like watching a lab of people instead of rats.  I just don't like the mean people and often find it boring.  I never remember who wins and cannot watch it weekly, but just usually if it is near the end (my sister loves it so I am not supposed to criticize her shows....lol)

Survivor is popular, as is The Bachelor, and other Housewives of.....shows.  I used to like the celebrity apprentice....but like everything...shows come and shows go.

Glad you have your t.v. back,.....but technically you were not even in withdrawal....It was more like panic....in thinking you would be without..lol.

I think I could go without t.v., but only if I had my computer, or dvd shows for entertainment.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It was replaced with Weather Nation.  DTV threatened to drop CBS, but were thwarted  by customers threatening to cancel.  I don't need a DVR or Smart Phone.   If my phone makes and receives calls, it is smart enough for me. 
Ah ok.  So the same as I have through the Roku player.  I think they are alright.  I'm not sure how accurate their forecasts are yet.  I'm trying to decide on who to follow most.  I've got Weather Nation and Weather Underground on the TV with the Roku.  (There is something called Weather4us too; but you have to pay a small fee for a year so I haven't committed.)  Then I have The Weather Channel and Weather Bug apps on my Kindle Fire.  I need internet to check any of them unfortunately.  We've talked about getting one of those antennas so we can pick up the local stations. Even just for the weather!  I do get text alerts from the Weather Channel when there is severe weather in the area.  DH gets them too.  He is on the road all day for work so it's important.  I'm often texting him information too.  I do appreciate The Weather Channel for that!!

I just enjoyed late dinner of kielbasa and pierogis from a Polish market I visit when I go see family.  I'm pretty sure they are made on the premises; or locally if not anymore.  They are amazing!  You can get a lot of other things at this place; but those are what I go for!  I usually stock up on about 3 meals worth to take home.  The cabbage pierogis are my favorite from there but their potato ones are good too.  They also make a cheese type one; but I'm not a huge fan of those.  My Grandma always loved them.  It's hard not to stuff myself!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@JTbo, that sauna sounds amazing but I think I might worry a bit about bears and other wild animals being outside waiting for me unless it was part of my house!  I do like saunas although find steam rooms are more gentle on my skin and I can stay in them a little longer.  My body does not take heat well and it takes me a long time to cool down even if I go for that shock tactic of cool water or shower following one.  I used to swim outdoors regularly but if I went for a steam or sauna I would still look bright red for the rest of the day no matter how cool my swim was. :lol3:
I think that it depends more of how you heat and throw water to stones, but also how air comes in too as in some saunas there is just too little air.

I can adjust amount of air coming into sauna and also how much air I give to fire, with amount and quality of wood and air adjustments I can then make changes to how hot and how humid I can make sauna to be. Something from near steam room to something like Death Valley. Not too fond of Death Valley kind of air myself, too dry, throat and lungs are like sand paper.

Hot and humid is ok in sauna, but for me something like 22C is more than enough for outdoor temp, below 10C would be quite nice too, but if there is 25C or more outdoors, then I'm starting to have bit of issues already with the heat.

However sauna can be hot, it takes several hours to cool down after sauna though, no chance to do anything physical at least for 3 hours after the sauna, but that is part of experience, just chill and relax, fill up with cold liquid and one can get relaxed totally not only from body but mind too.

Some choose to jump outside and swim + roll in snow, some have sauna near lake or pond and they cut hole into ice and jump in straight from sauna to icy water, then they go back to sauna.

I guess Finns are bit odd people, maybe something to do with 9 months of cold and 4 months of darkness, who knows, but extreme temperature changes do feel quite nice, nothing one would except, much nicer actually.

I don't watch much tv or any modern shows, for me they just don't work, too slow, too much emotional feelings, too little things get done in a minute, so I don't have even a tv or any of those streaming video things, they would not even work with my slow internet.
Reading a book or two is better, or I let computer to read if I'm lazy or busy. With many cats I don't have so much time for such either, I need to entertain them, hunt dinner for them or clean up litter boxes.

Yesterday I did cycle to nearby farm and took shovel with me, then I bagged some more sawdust as that is what I use for cat litter, does not cost a bit and works quite ok, but it does get carried around a bit, however for the price it is quite nice. Also getting rid of it is easy as it is all natural it will decompose and become dirt with time. Garbage bin costs are so high these days that what ever I can avoid putting there is a saving money. I think it is around 3 euros for each small garbage bin they empty and two weeks is maximum interval so I need to pay 6 euros which is minimum you can get away with.

At summer there is potatoes, strawberries and some red and black berry bushes that I don't know names which need attention, fishing and such, at spring there is firewood making, at autumn forest berries and storing everything one did manage to grow at winter burning wood takes quite bit of time, so I don't think I could manage any more distractions with all things needed to be done either.

When younger I used to watch MacGyver, it had good balance of fast and slow, but then again I have these neurological differences to majority that makes most things bit slow for me :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Jtbo, this lifestyle of yours sounds healthy and hard work but much healthier then life in the city.  I often say to friends of mine who live in the country here in the UK that I am a 'Townie' - that I am lazy and like everything at my front door, but I don't think being a 'Townie' is good for people.  

Hee hee, I am glad that I am not the only person to take hours to cool down after a sauna.  Other people always seem to look so cool afterwards and I am the only one with a 'tomato face' but maybe they have covered themselves in make-up. 

the1who feedsus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
last week my son started a job which takes him out of town to montreal 3 days a week. its actually a summer job but this was training. its the longest hes  ever been away from Dave. Now the whole time he was gone, Dave was fine. once in a while he'd go sniff around Nicks stuff meow a little and come back near me. so Nick gets home last night, puts his stuff away, calling Dave the whole time, no Dave.  Nick goes looking for him and suddenly i hear him laughing. Dave was in the hallway sitting on Nicks shoes! guess thats one way to keep him from leaving lol.