The off topic SS discussion thread

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

really? My ss is from the US, and she wrapped everything! nothing got opened!
I was a little surprised to see that, too. I've often sent stuff internationally, wrapped individually inside, without any problem.
Guess I'm not giving much away by saying that I'm shipping internationally this time, too, and since everything is already wrapped, I hope that particular Customs agent just had burnt toast that particular morning, 'cuz I'm not unwrapping! So there!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shipped overseas, and I WANTED to wrap everything individually, but was advised not to because of where it was going.
Bums me out - I wasn't able to do anything with the presentATION.

I think my SS will be very happy, regardless - you should be getting your gift any day/week/month now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have cared if they opened them - I mean they opened the box and its brown wrapping to tell me they opened it, but it cost me $27.50 to send and now I have to pay to resend!

I have sent stuff before wrapped and never had a problem, but when I brought it by the post office today, they did confirm that things should not be wrapped... so I am sending it to my other sister who will wrap it for me and drop it off

Just don't want anyone getting caught by the same customs guy... but seen as they only open 10% of packages and he obviously won't open all of them - its doubtful.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

For those sending internationally (just to add to my problems) seemingly it is against international customs laws to wrap the pressies individually inside - the gifts I sent my sister were returned to me by customs with a polite note saying that i was to send them unwrapped so customs can 'see' whats in it (because they can't rip the gift wrap as well as the box and brown paper wrapping that
) and now I have to pay again to resend it!
Oh I didn't wrap mine individually, Well I did but then I unwrapped them all, Mines been gone awhile. How long was yours gone before it came back, Mine has been gone as of Oct 30th..They told me 6 to 8 weeks Mine was over $40

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I don't think Jessy's present to me took that long to get here from England and her presents were all individually wrapped.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think it depends, too, on where it's going. Danielle told me that Aussie customs are really strict, and I've heard a horror story to that effect from another person as well.

Could you put them in gift bags with just loose tissue paper on top? I mean, that ways it's wrapped if they don't inspect, but if they do they can get into the prezzies without having to rip anything open?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just about finished buying for my person and should have it in the mail by Saturday. I'm thinking of using tins/gift bags in place of wrapping individually as well.

Don't want the gift to be sent back, how irritating that would be!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I used gift bags and gift boxes when I shipped to Australia last year, and had no problems.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I shipped overseas, and I WANTED to wrap everything individually, but was advised not to because of where it was going.
Bums me out - I wasn't able to do anything with the presentation.
I do that every year when posting to NZ. Its a real bummer.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh I didn't wrap mine individually, Well I did but then I unwrapped them all, Mines been gone awhile. How long was yours gone before it came back, Mine has been gone as of Oct 30th..They told me 6 to 8 weeks Mine was over $40
I sent it airmail which only takes 1-2 weeks to get to the UK and it took a week to get back to me.

Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I used gift bags and gift boxes when I shipped to Australia last year, and had no problems.
Thats what I usually do, but because it was a box set I thought it would be ok wrapped... and really after unwrapping the brown paper off the box would it have killed them to unwrap the actual gift and carry on sending it?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well they don't offer water delivery at my post office

I purposely chose 'lighter' gifts for my sis with postage in mind
Well I just figured snail mail because I sent it early, but it must still be swimming.. I can't say what that heavy edible stuff was but it was what My SS ask for
So I figured I should send what they wanted if it was going that far
I just hope it gets there, they said 6 to 8 weeks, they must charge by the day

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah sometimes surface mail just isn't worth it... for a package I sent my mum a while back, it was only $2 more for airmail - so it went that way, as I get a 10% discount (business account) with airmail but not surface mail.

It amazes me that I can send something from here and it will take weeks to get to the UK even airmail and then they send me something and it arrives in days!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah sometimes surface mail just isn't worth it... for a package I sent my mum a while back, it was only $2 more for airmail - so it went that way, as I get a 10% discount (business account) with airmail but not surface mail.

It amazes me that I can send something from here and it will take weeks to get to the UK even airmail and then they send me something and it arrives in days!
They probably appericate there job over there more

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You have to watch UPS. When I sent Colleen's gift, it was ok to Canada, but there was someone wanting to ship some Splenda to Israel. Only 2-day air was available and the charge was going to be $185
They decided to check with the post office.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You have to watch UPS. When I sent Colleen's gift, it was ok to Canada, but there was someone wanting to ship some Splenda to Israel. Only 2-day air was available and the charge was going to be $185
They decided to check with the post office.
That's rediclous isn't it ...This was the USPS I didn't mind the money because it was for SS gift not a every month thing.. But I worried about how to do it, I didn't know what papers I needed, I felt confused and that only because I am
But just as long as SS is pleased that's good enough for me.. Dang that stuff was weighty

I beleive whoever was waiting for the splenda would have been cut out on any kind of sugar at that point

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

well they don't offer water delivery at my post office

I purposely chose 'lighter' gifts for my sis with postage in mind
Hasn't surface mail virtually been eliminated between continents? When I checked things out, I had a choice between SAL (surface - air - land) and air mail. Since the time difference is 2 or 3 days, it was a no brainer.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The time difference for surface mail and airmail from Canada to the UK is 3-5 weeks (airmail takes 1-2 weeks and surface 4-6 weeks)

In Europe, between countries, it is basically non existent so the post office doesn't bother