The Nerve of Some People!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gopher

Meh. If the cat is such a valuable asset then they should have looked after it more carefully. A cattery with 24 hour care is more secure than a house with a kid visiting twice a day. the cat is Ok, not spraying and less susceptible to diseases. All good things. If they still want to breed cats they can skip next years vacation and buy another cat.
Yeah hind sight is always 20/20 a cattery would have been better .... But what is safer then you're home. I would have asked a some one to cat sit too. I would not be as worried about my cats if they are safe at home. You don't expect a break in whaile you're out or at home for the matter.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

1 I would not buy a pure bred. I would go to the local pound and see what I find. Personally, spending hundreds of dollars on a pet b/c it has "paper's" makes no sence to me. mix breeds tend to have less problems then pure breds, and live longer lives.

2 I alway spay and neuter my pets. It's healthier for them in the long run.

3. The cat most likely would not have escaped if it was neutered
Your third comment pushes my buttons. ANY CAT COULD ESCAPE...we are not talkng about an open window...left open. we are talking about someone breaking into their home. breaking in....if i was a cat who just had their safe place tramatized i might have run out too! I know two of my FIXED cats that WOULD.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Meh. If the cat is such a valuable asset then they should have looked after it more carefully. A cattery with 24 hour care is more secure than a house with a kid visiting twice a day. the cat is Ok, not spraying and less susceptible to diseases. All good things. If they still want to breed cats they can skip next years vacation and buy another cat.
I wouldnt take my cats to a place like that. make me a bad person? My cats would be utterly stressed to the point of looseing hair..and such. They dont do well in strange places with strange kitties. for the most part. so its better to have someone look in on them while home.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

Establishing a cattery takes a lot of money. I am pretty sure all the responcible breeders would tell you that. If you don't have any money, then you shouldn't start a cattery.
Its not a case of not having money its a case of having money set aside for certain things. I am starting my cattery and I have X amonth set aside for each thing. and I wont under any circumstances take my ER vet funds for anything else. I am surely not rich. But i cant purcahse $700 or more cats every day just cause someone wanted to fix one.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the original post it says that the girl babysitting became worried "the day after" the break in when she couldn't find the cat. Why would she not have looked for the cat when she discovered the break in and found that it was missing?
IF the cat was there during the time the police were called and later disappeared... she should have looked over the house after the police left to clean up anything that could endanger the cats, such as boarding up broken windows.
This is why I would never leave Dori under the care if a child if I were to leave town.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have probably done it too. But maybe waited a bit. In fact I don't know many people kind enough to take in a strange cat let alone spend the money to take it to the vet, and yeah it sucks but it wasn't meant to be viscious or anything, they were doing what they thought was something good and it just didn't turn out that way. I can understand them being upset but I can't see them blaming this nice family. I mean really it's the burglar's fault.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Its not a case of not having money its a case of having money set aside for certain things. I am starting my cattery and I have X amonth set aside for each thing. and I wont under any circumstances take my ER vet funds for anything else. I am surely not rich. But i cant purcahse $700 or more cats every day just cause someone wanted to fix one.
Well, if your cats run out, you might have too. That's all I am saying.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, if your cats run out, you might have too. That's all I am saying.
And I am saying, as I have repeatedly the people who fixed the cat jumped the gun. I sure hope none of my cats ever get out. One way I insure that is I dont go on vacation, and I work from home...so they have constant care.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Your third comment pushes my buttons. ANY CAT COULD ESCAPE...we are not talkng about an open window...left open. we are talking about someone breaking into their home. breaking in....if i was a cat who just had their safe place tramatized i might have run out too! I know two of my FIXED cats that WOULD.
I never said all neutered cats will 100% never ever escape. Of course I am using my own expereince in that example. The neutered cat I have come across tend to stay inside when given the chance to go outdoors... and if the do go out they stay near the door.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

I never said all neutered cats will 100% never ever escape. Of course I am using my own expereince in that example. The neutered cat I have come across tend to stay inside when given the chance to go outdoors... and if the do go out they stay near the door.
well thats where everyone has diffrent experiences...i have known neuters who will sneak out the second they can..and nones who have no interest..all depends on the cat.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosieToes

Yes well I hate to be the one to have to spoon feed the obvious to you, but not all of us have money falling out of our ears and can just afford to go out "cat shopping" whenever one of our original cats gets accidentally neutered
Well, I've been thinking about this post over night and still don't really know exactly what to say - but IMO you can't breed cats UNLESS you have money, what if the cat hadn't been acidentally desexed etc etc and they found out he had some condition or something, then of course the cat would need to be replaced - you can't breed cats if you are not going to be able top pay for all these little "extras" that pop up. Of course I'm not condoning this desexing situation, it is disgusting!

RosieToes, do you breed cats?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The dream isn't gone forever. They will just have to start over with another cat. Obviously this one is forever lost to breeding.

The cat could have just dropped dead one day, well there wouldn't be this big performance of "Oh no, our dreams are slashed forever!" you would just get a kitten from the same or similar lines.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Absolutely!!!!!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Establishing a cattery takes a lot of money. I am pretty sure all the responcible breeders would tell you that. If you don't have any money, then you shouldn't start a cattery.
AMEN to that sister! From a Persian & Exotic Breeder - established in 1999!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

1. You aren't them... they wanted a pure bred, and wanted to breed.

2. They wanted to breed him, so they didn't!

3. Are you meaning to tell me that it was THEIR fault that a theif broke into their house, and their PRIZE cat escaped because he wasn't NEUTERED!?? Please! Neutered or not the cat would've seen it and run out!
I believe it wasn't a prize cat...it had never been to a cat show!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Also keep in mind, show titles dont always make a prize animal of any kind..

Point in case, Arabiam Magnum Pscye (sp of last bit?) many many halter titles, has had cosmetic surgery..and is not conformationaly fit to be a riding horse...and yet he is one of the number one stallions in our arabian industry..I wont breed to him, or any of his kids, til their backs shorten up, their necks tie in better...ext. I breed for function in my animals..

another point as well, temperment has alot to say as well. I look at Temperment, Conformation, THAN titles...on ANY of my animals, Horse, Dog or Cat, when i am going to breed...

that being said I will be showing my persians, and my basset and my horses compete..but..still stateing..titles doesnt always mean "Prize" or "best"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

In the original post it says that the girl babysitting became worried "the day after" the break in when she couldn't find the cat. Why would she not have looked for the cat when she discovered the break in and found that it was missing?
IF the cat was there during the time the police were called and later disappeared... she should have looked over the house after the police left to clean up anything that could endanger the cats, such as boarding up broken windows.
This is why I would never leave Dori under the care if a child if I were to leave town.
The girl assumed that the cat was just a little distraught and hiding under the bed upstairs...they weren't always around, it was a big house and the cats had "lives of their own" so to speak, so she didn't really take much notice of it, it was one of those things that never really crossed her mind (everyone makes mistakes.) And a child (I think she was 12) can be just as capable as an adult, but it's not like anybody could have forseen their house getting broken into.
They don't like the idea of taking their cats to a kennel because a) the combination of a new environment, plus the absence of thier owners, would very likely stress the poor things out, and b) they didn't want to take the chance of their cats getting anything from other cats. Plus the kennels around here charge crazy prices!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

they didn't plan on starting a massive breeding business...just wanted one well-bred stud cat, one female cat, and eventually, if he did any good in the shows, they might try to advertise him for stud. It's not like you need to be a millionaire to have a small-scale breeding program

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Scamper pretty much said what I did mean. Just because they're not valuable, doesn't mean they aren't prized. All my kits at prized to me, and they were from strays.

Status
Not open for further replies.