Status
Not open for further replies.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

I tend to agree.
I wouldn't allow a 12 year old child OR an immature 18 or 80 year old to look after my cats when on vacation.

I would hire an established pet sitting service or call on a cat-loving like minded mature friend to do the job.
If this were the case, these people would be the people to count on if a break-in occurred or some other dangerous incident happened.
This is what caregivers are supposed to be able to do. Besides basic care, they should know what to do in an emergency.

I wouldn't want my pet sitter to come by, see that there was a break in and then leave without knowing where my cat was/is. I would want them (and they would) to have visual confirmation that the cat was safe inside, board up the window, and make sure that things were secure before leaving.
If the cat was not to be seen, then I would count on that person to scour the neighbourhood right then and there.

If certain precautions or preventive measures were taken, then this sadness might not have occurred. I am obviously not saying its the fault of the 12 year old or the neighbours that they were broken into. But we have to take responsibility when we could have taken better preventive measures. things happen.
Absolutely what I was trying to get through

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK....
While I do agree that yes, the girl probably should have looked harder for the cat, whether she had scrounged the whole neighborhood or just said out loud "Good, I hated that cat anyways, I hope he dies..." is completely irrelevant. Either way, it doesn't make those people who neutered him ANY LESS WRONG. It seems like we are arguing about stupid inconsequential details...what is the point? Does your daily routine lack excitement to the point where you feel the need to argue a statement just for the feeling some conflict brings you?

It is SO PAINFULLY SIMPLE!!! Here, let me put it another way for those of you who seem to be missing the point entirely...

Let's say I see your car sitting in the parking lot at a grocery store. Unguarded. I take a look at your paint job and decide that it isn't to my liking. So, I whip out my trusty keys and "decorate" for you. Your car still runs fine, you'll be able to get to work and back, and if you are really that upset about it, you can always go out and buy another car.

But because I felt I was doing you (and the car, and the world) a favour, does that make it okay for me to key the heck out of your car without your permission? Maybe draw some pretty flowers? I don't see you paying anybody to watch it, if you really cared about it you'd be standing beside it or sending it to a professional carsitter...it's not like the dream of owing an attractive car is gone forever!

Are you gonna think, "How sweet of her, I can't say I like the scratched-in designs but at least she didn't blow it up!"

Fat chance. Odds are, if you found me standing beside your car, keys in hand, smug enigmatic smile on my face, haughtily informing you that I did your car a huge favour and that you should be grateful but I'm nice enough not to charge, you would drop me with a left hook and kick me in the teeth!
I know a cat is not a car, but the two scenarios have the same essentials: the fact remains, regardless of where your property is, if someone alters it while it is still LEGALLY YOUR PROPERTY, it is a CRIME.
I honestly cannot think of any way to further simplify the situation. I am actually beginning to wonder of some of you are actually reading my posts, or just skimming it to get the general idea and then arguing it blindly!

And for those of you following the thread with intelligent curiousity (instead of contradictory stubbornness) my friends have sought legal advice and are going to give the neighbors a chance to settle out of court for the price of the cat. If they refuse, then they are going to take them to court.
Their lawyer says that they are 95% likely to win since the neighbors were quite clearly in the wrong. They don't have to pay the lawyer unless they win since he is a friend of the family, and the remainder of the money will be put towards buying a kitten from the same parents as their newly-neutered cat.

Good God I love these smileys!!! They make a post so much more enthralling!!!

And no, they don't plan on going on vacation anytime soon.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And for those of you following the thread with intelligent curiousity
That's me....well, with curiosity anyways

Odds are, if you found me standing beside your car, keys in hand, smug enigmatic smile on my face, haughtily informing you that I did your car a huge favour and that you should be grateful but I'm nice enough not to charge, you would drop me with a left hook and kick me in the teeth!

well said!

love,

felicia

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosieToes

:

And for those of you following the thread with intelligent curiousity (instead of contradictory stubbornness) my friends have sought legal advice and are going to give the neighbors a chance to settle out of court for the price of the cat. If they refuse, then they are going to take them to court.
Their lawyer says that they are 95% likely to win since the neighbors were quite clearly in the wrong. They don't have to pay the lawyer unless they win since he is a friend of the family, and the remainder of the money will be put towards buying a kitten from the same parents as their newly-neutered cat.
I originally posted that they should not sue. But this plan sounds very reasonable. I hope it will be settled out of court, but I doubt it will.

Thanks to all for (repeatedly) explaining why it is so bad to have neutered the cat. I think I get it!

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

i don't get how this sig is cary or creepy, please explain

love,

felicia
some people, think because i "knows" your bsower, Ip, and ISP, its creepy...
or that because it does that, it will broadcast it to others...even though it doesnt, only you can see your info--nobody elses.

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I originally posted that they should not sue. But this plan sounds very reasonable. I hope it will be settled out of court, but I doubt it will.

Thanks to all for (repeatedly) explaining why it is so bad to have neutered the cat. I think I get it!
lol....im with you, though, i think we might be reminded a few more times, as the length of this thread has proven...

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aquiel

or that because it does that, it will broadcast it to others...even though it doesnt, only you can see your info--nobody elses.
oh okay
now i get it lol...blonde moment

love,

felicia

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK....
While I do agree that yes, the girl probably should have looked harder for the cat, whether she had scrounged the whole neighborhood or just said out loud "Good, I hated that cat anyways, I hope he dies..." is completely irrelevant. Either way, it doesn't make those people who neutered him ANY LESS WRONG. It seems like we are arguing about stupid inconsequential details...what is the point? Does your daily routine lack excitement to the point where you feel the need to argue a statement just for the feeling some conflict brings you?

It is SO PAINFULLY SIMPLE!!! Here, let me put it another way for those of you who seem to be missing the point entirely...

Let's say I see your car sitting in the parking lot at a grocery store. Unguarded. I take a look at your paint job and decide that it isn't to my liking. So, I whip out my trusty keys and "decorate" for you. Your car still runs fine, you'll be able to get to work and back, and if you are really that upset about it, you can always go out and buy another car.

But because I felt I was doing you (and the car, and the world) a favour, does that make it okay for me to key the heck out of your car without your permission? Maybe draw some pretty flowers? I don't see you paying anybody to watch it, if you really cared about it you'd be standing beside it or sending it to a professional carsitter...it's not like the dream of owing an attractive car is gone forever!

Are you gonna think, "How sweet of her, I can't say I like the scratched-in designs but at least she didn't blow it up!"

Fat chance. Odds are, if you found me standing beside your car, keys in hand, smug enigmatic smile on my face, haughtily informing you that I did your car a huge favour and that you should be grateful but I'm nice enough not to charge, you would drop me with a left hook and kick me in the teeth!
I know a cat is not a car, but the two scenarios have the same essentials: the fact remains, regardless of where your property is, if someone alters it while it is still LEGALLY YOUR PROPERTY, it is a CRIME.
I honestly cannot think of any way to further simplify the situation. I am actually beginning to wonder of some of you are actually reading my posts, or just skimming it to get the general idea and then arguing it blindly!

LOVE IT! Way to go, too! Again!
Wonderful job!

Originally Posted by Aquiel

Oh, I know, but it's still creepy that a little signature can find that much out about my computer... imagine how much a hacker can find out!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK....

Good I hope they win out of court..or get the settlement in court

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I didn't read all the replies, but I did want to say...

You kinda can't have it both ways. You can't go around claiming to want to educate the population on the importance of spaying/neutering but then be mad when they do.

Sure, the people who found him jumped the gun and could have waited... but they also could have not taken him in and let him run amok in the neighborhood inpregnanting every unspayed female he found (leaving lots of unwanted kittens around) -- or worse, he could have ended up roadkill.

I wouldn't know of purebred cat if it bit me... so while I would have worked harder to find the owner, I certainly would be taking the cat to be fixed at some point.

I can understand why the owners are upset, but a lot worse things could have happened to their kitty - A LOT worse. The neighbors, while hasty, certainly weren't acting in malice, but only what they thought was best.

And I don't think keying someone's car is a fair analogy. The car's life wasn't in danger by an off-color paint job, and no one was saving the car by "decorating" it.

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just as nobody was "saving" the cat by neutering it. If the neighbors had been doing what they figured was their job anyways, there would be no unspayed females running around.
I thought this horse had been beaten to death by now, but apparently we are attempting ressurrection.
Yee-haw.

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And the neighbors were acting to make a point, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just as nobody was "saving" the cat by neutering it.
Maybe not, but the argument could be made that they certainly saved a whole bunch of unwanted kittens that would have resulted from him running around the neighborhood unfixed.

I said they acted hastily, for sure. I don't want to argue with you - just giving you my opinion. If I had found the cat and looked for the owners, if they failed to turn up for several weeks of me looking, I'd be neutering the cat. I'd imagine they would be just as pissed whether it was 5 days or 4 weeks if they are only concerned with the money they spent on a stud.

I'd be happy to have my cat back alive, but maybe that's just me.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Just as nobody was "saving" the cat by neutering it. If the neighbors had been doing what they figured was their job anyways, there would be no unspayed females running around.
I thought this horse had been beaten to death by now, but apparently we are attempting ressurrection.
Yee-haw.
If you are not interested in what anyone else has to say why on earth did you post it? Isn't it kind of the point to get others thoughts and reactions? You have become very condescending to everyone who makes a point about the situation other than what you believe is right
Makes no sense at all if you ask me.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

If you are not interested in what anyone else has to say why on earth did you post it? Isn't it kind of the point to get others thoughts and reactions? You have become very condescending to everyone who makes a point about the situation other than what you believe is right
Makes no sense at all if you ask me.
Actually, she has not been condesending at all. She has tried many times to make her point, just as you have. If you would call her condesending, you would have to call all of us condesending... including yourself. And I don't think she was saying she wasn't interested in anyone else's opinion, I think she was saying that she thought this debate was over, but it's not, so she's preparing herself.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

Actually, she has not been condesending at all. She has tried many times to make her point, just as you have. If you would call her condesending, you would have to call all of us condesending... including yourself. And I don't think she was saying she wasn't interested in anyone else's opinion, I think she was saying that she thought this debate was over, but it's not, so she's preparing herself.
Her post, the long one with the car example was very condescending. Just because someone has a different opinion on a subject does not mean you can assume them to be unintelligent. People need to realize that everyone has different opinions and those opinions need to be respected. If we all thought the same way we wouldn't have such a good thing going here on the site. I think that Rosietoes signature explains it all... "I'm right your wrong get over it" or something along those lines. What is the point in us even offering our opinions if you are going to be that close minded? Ovbiously no one is going to change their minds on how they view this situation.

ALso, I don't think anyone said it was right for the neighbors to neuter so quickly. I was just pointing out that there were other mistakes, if you want to call them that, that were made.

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah...we told them to sue, but after the break-in and splurging on their vacation, they couldn't actually afford to pay for a lawyer
And the best part? When they *did* confront the people about it, they were all nasty and said that they shouldn't be breeding cats anyways, purebred or not, and that half of the cats they bred would jsut end up in the SPCA anyways. *sigh*
The reason why they got that reaction is because of all the irresponsible breeders out there who only breed for money. GRRR People like that just tick me off!!

Status
Not open for further replies.