The Nerve of Some People!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

i can get my kitty neutered the same day that i call. and what if the ower did microchip the cat and they were just too lazy to look.
I am sorry i think you keep on repeating your questions to scamperfarms when she has perfictly answered them for you.
And between the horse and the cat there isnt much of a difference, both people who did it were rude, and both negletful
and i purely doubt they went on a holiday for months and months.
You can't look for a micro chip. THe vet looks for a micro chip if you tell him you found the cat. And if you expect that when your cat runs of, some stranger will pick him up, take care of him and return him to you, you might be sadly mistaken. That's all I am saying. These people could have sold that cat and the owners would have never known. The owners complain about neuter, and I would say to them-how about being happy that the cat isn't dead? If this cat was running on his own, and mated with local females, he could have picked up an infectious disease and his value as a stud would have been gone anyway. It the only value to the owners of this cat was his potential status as a stud, well, that's too bad.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

i can get my kitty neutered the same day that i call. and what if the ower did microchip the cat and they were just too lazy to look.
I am sorry i think you keep on repeating your questions to scamperfarms when she has perfictly answered them for you.
And between the horse and the cat there isnt much of a difference, both people who did it were rude, and both negletful
and i purely doubt they went on a holiday for months and months.
Thank you fwan, I have felt like going in circles a bit. And I agree a purebred cat, the vet could have and should have checked for the micro chip..or they could have brought him into the shelter for a check..they do that. heck I answer for a microchip service for my job..Info Pet
I get several calls a night "i found so and so...should i bring it in to someplace to get the chip scanned?" YOU BETCHA is my reply right away.

And I agree that there is some diffrence with the horse and the cat but not much. I loved the horse yes, and he was still fine, yes but now his intended use, and what I had prepared him for was no longer valid. Hes got a good home now, which is important. But not with me. Ah well. What are ya gonna do?

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's good the cat was taken in by people that obviously cared. Yes, it's good that she got him back healthy, safe, and sound. But I still think they have a right to be angry. Finding a good cat to start a cattery with is a very long process and very costly. Again, had it been months and they were intending to keep the cat, that would be one thing. But less than a week? All of my cats are fixed, but I would be furious if one of my cats escaped due to a break in, and I found them a week later only to find the people who had rescued them had had them declawed!

I'd be extremely grateful to them for caring for my animal, and extremely relieved that they were safe, but BEYOND furious about the declawing.

If you found someone's ring you wouldn't have it resized. If you found someone's car you wouldn't repaint it. If you found someone's purse you wouldn't cut up their credit cards. You would do your best to find a way to return these things intact. Why not a cat as well?

If months had passed, that's one thing. But they had no right to alter someone else's property regardless of their own personal feelings. The only surgery that they should have authorized on that animal in such a short period of time would be one necessary to saving its life, such as if it had been hit by a car. Anything else is uncalled for.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ScamperFarms for helping explain the other point of view. This situation is kind of hard, since it wasn't the person involved who was posting. Maybe their first concern was for the kitty's safety, and then for his potential as a stud. Also, had they just picked a cute male with good papers, or had he been shown and was showing real potential.

Sorry about your stud horse, that is just a crying shame! What a stupid man! Couldn't tell a quarter horse from an arab? Thats almost like the difference between a persian and a russian blue!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very glad that the cat was indeed unharmed when found, but I have to agree with ScamperFarms and Fwan, it wasn't right for her to go and neuter the cat so soon. Now, if it had been a few weeks, and no one claimed the cat, and she took it in herself, then I'd understand, but why the rush to neuter and obviously already owned pet unless she just wanted to start a fight with her neighbors.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Thanks ScamperFarms for helping explain the other point of view. This situation is kind of hard, since it wasn't the person involved who was posting. Maybe their first concern was for the kitty's safety, and then for his potential as a stud. Also, had they just picked a cute male with good papers, or had he been shown and was showing real potential.

Sorry about your stud horse, that is just a crying shame! What a stupid man! Couldn't tell a quarter horse from an arab? Thats almost like the difference between a persian and a russian blue!
Indeed that is. And indeed it made me very very mad. And I still get mad about it, because he was a very spendy horse. (a son of Alada Baskin...whos stud fee was 4,000 at the time..so we wont talk about how much the horse cost) But in the end he ended up with a good home. I can play devils advocate with your questions as well
useing my horse as an example..

The Stud cat was pretty young yet. we dont know if he had been shown or not....well my stud horse was young yet. and I hadnt shown him yet. because I wont show a horse until they are ready for it. I dont want them to get burnt out. at a year old he was not ready for it. So one could say I picked him on looks and papers, and yes I did. Because his looks and his papers said he would be good as a show and breeding animal.

So them picking the cat on look (which I would hope was comformationaly correct and desired of the breed) and papers..good lines..would be ok with me. Perhaps they did plan on showing him? and were waiting til he was a bit older? Its hard to say.

I know many a good horse in the breeding shed who hasnt set foot in a show ring, as well. they just pass on their look and bloodlines. Cause in the horse world at least not every owner who has a great horse, has the money to promotionaly take it to all these huge shows. Its very spendy...and IMO..some of the horses winning the shows.....arent what Arabians should be. Especially in the halter division
but thats a whole nother can of worms i wont open

I am sure they are very very happy to have their kitty back...but like another poster said..it would be like someone returning a kitty declawed....ect...they do have a right to be upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where I live we have lots of spay/neuter clinics and many vets who will do it in a day. A lot of the time, you can phone the afternoon before, they tell you not to let the cat eat for the night, and you bring them in the early morning and take them home in the evening.

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, he had not been shown yet, as the owners didn't quite have the time and means needed to properly show a cat. He was not mircrochipped yet as they never intended for him to get outside and had always taken the proper precautions to keep him indoors. The lady never said that she "found" the cat, just implied that it was her cat and the vet didn't question her.

And yes they were happy that the cat was otherwise unharmed... but if you got into a car accident and lost your arm, would we say to you, "Stop whining, you are lucky that you didn't die, so your arm is unimportant."

Or what if your arm was fine but the doctors made a mistake and amputated it for no reason? "Well you're lucky they doctored you at all, an arm is a small price to pay for your life."

If the people who took him in were *really* after the cats' best interest, they would have waited a while at least a freakin week before neutering him. He was only 8 months old, too... I've always been told that you are not supposed to spay or neuter a cat until they are 6 months old, what if he'd been only 5 months? Or what if he was known to have had some allergy to certain types of medication that the owner would have on file at their vet clinic?

It honestly seems like some people on this board will disregard obvious logic just so they can wave their "get your cat neutered!" flag.

Lets look at it objectively:
1) it was not the owners fault that the cat got out, they were doing everything in their power to keep the cat healthy and until somebody else interveined, he posed no threat to the cats around him,
2) the people were not doing it to be helpful, if they really wanted to help him, they could have just fed him for a couple days and when the owners returned, which they did shortly, they could have given him back and suggested they consider neutering him.
3) doing any medical procedure to someone's pet without their consent (lifesaving surgery excluded) is wrong, whether they thought it was for the better good. If I am pro-declawing and I declaw your loose cat, would you just "be happy it wasn't hit by a car?"

Case closed.

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and ScamperFarms, that's awful about your horse!! I have a new realm of respect for your ability to not have completely massacred the person responsible...I know if it had been me and my boy, heads woulda rolled!

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ScamperFarms, its a good thing your guy came out of the gelding unscathed. I can only imagine, what would have happened had there been complications!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if I found a cat or a dog in my neighborhood I'd get it neutered too. Of course I'd wait for a few weeks before I did it. So the person who found the cat was not completly out of line.

Your friends should be happy they have him back. A cat's love is priceless. Your friends should know enough to realize that!

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

Well if I found a cat or a dog in my neighborhood I'd get it neutered too. Of course I'd wait for a few weeks before I did it. So the person who found the cat was not completly out of line.
sure, if the cat was skinny, sickly or other wise unloved looking, perhpas this could be more excusable.
but it was appearent it was in great condition.
it does raise a good point though, what could have happened if the cat had complications during the surgrey? or after?
it was obvious this cat belonged to someone and was well taken care of, this is why IMO, it was wrong.
But I guess theres the saying, the road to hell is paved in good intentions.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe an attorney is not needed to sue thse neighbors. They can take them to small claims court, take all their paperwork with them on the cat and how expensive he is...it can be done without an attorney.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but those people were dead wrong.
Despite what we may think personally about our pets, in this country they are considered property, and I'm sure it is such in Canada as well.

No clue about Canadian law, but in this country, found property must be held for claim for 30 days before it is considered the property of the finder.
Altering found property in any way before the claim period has ended constitutes vandalism at the least.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

Your friends should be happy they have him back. A cat's love is priceless. Your friends should know enough to realize that!
None meant rudely.....
Yeah.... a cat's love is priceless, but so is someone's hopes and dreams... perhaps this owner's hope and dream was to breed cats... that hope and dream might be slashed now, because their very valuable breeding cat has now been desexed.... there it goes.
I'm sure they were exstatic to get their cat back, but it still doesn't justify the fact that their neighbor neutered the cat within two days, without knowing it was owned by someone or not(but obviously you could tell), and barely even trying to look for it's owner.
Let's play scenario, let's say YOU are THEM... you bought a VERY expensive breeding cat..... you don't care how much you spent on it, because you love it too much. You wait and wait and wait MONTHS for this little kitten to become a mature adult, and be able to breed... it is your hope that this is possible..... you went on vacation... you did the responsible thing by leaving your pet there, and hiring someone to care for it. It wasn't your fault a burgalar broke in while you were away. There's no way to prevent the cat jumping out of your broken window. You are gone nothing but two more days than your cat escaped. You don't really care about what's missing in your house, you care about finding your prize cat..... you finally find him, unharmed. You are so grateful! You thank the wonderful woman who cared for him! Then you find that he's neutered. Wouldn't you be upset? She had the cats LESS than TWO DAYS! Why did she HAVE TO neuter him? There goes your dream! It's gone, forever!!! You'd kinda be mad, wouldn't you?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aquiel

sure, if the cat was skinny, sickly or other wise unloved looking, perhpas this could be more excusable.
but it was appearent it was in great condition.
it does raise a good point though, what could have happened if the cat had complications during the surgrey? or after?
it was obvious this cat belonged to someone and was well taken care of, this is why IMO, it was wrong.
But I guess theres the saying, the road to hell is paved in good intentions.
WOW your signature is scary!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosieToes

and ScamperFarms, that's awful about your horse!! I have a new realm of respect for your ability to not have completely massacred the person responsible...I know if it had been me and my boy, heads woulda rolled!
Thank you. Yes it took some doing not to have a total murder fit..but you know. He was still a horse..and he is happy...just wish i didnt have to pay stud fees..*mumbles* he was my boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.