The Making of a Seahorse Aquarium Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Arielrain
It's been fun, that I can tell ya.

Big news....we are HOPEFULLY getting a small clownfish TODAY!!! I'll post pics right away if we do.

Fran, just for you, here's a picture of the shrimp's molted skin. Sorry it's not that great- I tried to enhance it, but this is the best I could do. I used the tank scoop to try to take it out and get a better picture, but the skin just dissolved as soon as I did

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the aquarium store didn't have any of the clownfish that we wanted today, so we got this instead:

It's basically an aquatic worm called a feather duster. We already have a bunch of small ones growing in our live rock, but we wanted one of the large ones because it makes such a dramatic impact. They're very fun to watch. They have a clear casing and retreat inside if they get scared. Otherwise, they stay out and their "tentacles" sway around with the current- very beautiful!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dunno if i can look at this thread anymore... i miss my tank..my little tito and titoette.. i should sue John for legal custody... *cries*

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoyalEnchntrss

i dunno if i can look at this thread anymore... i miss my tank..my little tito and titoette.. i should sue John for legal custody... *cries*
I am so sorry Stacy
. It's amazing how attached one can get to their sea creatures! Any chance you can start back up another tank?

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well yes but it will be a looooong time... Probably not until I get married and have my own house... We have NO place for all of that stuff... and I have no money to buy it with... :-\\ My friend natalie told John he should give me the tank because his mom has been taking care of it.. he's a whiner and said "I just can't stand looking at it because it was ours" blaaaaahhhh.... and he said Sure i could have it if I give him a couple grand for it... I wanna punch him.. I put money into that tank too... Too bad I dont have room for it.. I'd start another tank and go get all of the stuff that I paid for.. ha

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give y'all an update on things (sorry I don't have any pictures to post this second).

We bought 2 snails on Saturday that go around the aquarium and eat the stuff that the filter doesn't suck up. Nothing too exciting there; they just keep the joint clean.

Here's something sort of neat though. Yesterday morning, I looked in the tank and I SWORE I saw 2 sets of antennae- I thought maybe Fang had had a baby or something. Turns out he just molted- AGAIN! He is growing FAST! But I'm glad he's doing so well in the tank
Today I'm going to the aquarium store to see if their shipment of Bali Sea Stars has come in. They're like regular starfish, only they're slightly smaller, which is what we need in our tank. I'm hoping to add a bright red one

We also found out that the seahorses that we'll be getting from the aquarium store are all tank-raised; that means we won't be taking seahorses from the wild and putting them in a tank. I feel better about that now.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time for a photo update! Today we bought the green mandarin dragonet that I have been salivating over for months!!!
We also bought a tiger cowrie snail . Here are some pics:

The dragonet. We're trying to come up with some sort of Asian-y name because of the species name. We're thinking of naming him Sushi. Yup, we have a sick sense of humor

And here's the large snail. He is so fun to watch!

His shell is beautiful; wish I could get a better picture than this:

Here's a picture online of what his shell looks like:
Tiger Cowrie
The seahorses will be added VERY soon!!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cool! I used to have 3 reef tanks...I miss them, but our bengals make it virtually impossible to keep one.
Cowrie's are famous for dislodging your reef rocks (if you have them), so watch out!
Make sure your mandarin is eating enough...they look "sucked in" when they are not. You'll notice it. They like extremely small live foods...like rotifers and such. I love mandarins..they're so cool.
It's a fascinating hobby...enjoy!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, thank you for the tips! These are our first-ever mandarin and cowrie, so we have a lot to learn. We have about 10 lbs. of live rock in the tank, so we should have a good bit of cocopods now for the mandarin to feed on. I think we're going to get some more rubble rock tomorrow, but we're hoping he'll also eat the cyclopeze that we put in every day...we'll see!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
take a pic of your tank with all the creatures
how exciting i thought you would have sea horses by now

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had someupdates to the tank (some happy, some sad).

We lost our poor Fang last week
We returned the evil tiger cowrie that we think caused his death (he was crushed under some live rock).

In their place, we bought another feather duster, a scooter blenny, and a firefish. I don't have pics of the new additions yet, but these are pictures from the net of what they look like:
Feather duster (but our new one is black and white):

Scooter blenny (ours is reddish-pink and sand-colored; I've named him Strawberry Shortcake! He's fascinating to watch- instead of swimming, he literally scoots around the sand and rock!):

And the firefish:

Hopefully I can capture some good pictures of our new tank additions soon!
Also....saw an itty-bitty baby snail crawling across the glass this morning- looks like it might have been born in our tank!
How cool is that??

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pics that I took of the tank creatures today.
These are our two feather dusters, Mr. Hankie (top) and Towelie:

Here's our mandarin dragonet, Sushi (at the top) and our scooter blenny, Strawberry Shortcake (he blends in with the rock!)

Here's a closeup of Strawberry Shortcake. Ain't he cute?

And here's our firefish, Slim Pickins:

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fran, I've been trying my darndest to get an all-in-one shot but that's virtually impossible, especially with Slim Pickins as he moves FAST!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You absolutely have to stop posting pictures of your tank!!!
You're making me get the "reef bug" again and I really don't want to set up a reef tank again...so quit it...ok???

My wife gives me grief all the time for not having a tank anymore.....we both loved the hobby. <sigh> I must resist........must resist.....

I'm just kidding though...love looking at your new pics...keep em coming!

I shouldn't ask this, because it plunges me back into the hobby...but what are you using for lighting?

Oh and PS....firefish will breach the water surface and land on the floor if they get startled and the tank is not covered. (learned the hard way)

zazusdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just so you Know for you info: If you need any more cycle fish you can use black mollies They are a fresh water fish that can switch to salt and are a lot cheaper
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Well, y'all saw what Bradley got me for our anniversary

The ultimate goal is to have a couple of seahorses, but there are a few things we have to add to the aquarium first b/c seahorses are a lot of hard work.
This thread will follow the journey from the first little fish until, ultimately, our seahorsies!!
We added our first "cycle fish", a damsel, today. At $10, she's the cheapest fish that'll go in here.
This is the best shot I could get (she's tiny, but beautiful: navy blue with neon blue stripes with a yellow stripe down the middle).

As you can see, Cosette is already obsessed! (You can see the little damsel really well in front of that white coral).

That's all I have for now, but I'll add pictures to this thread as our aquarium grows