The Making of a Seahorse Aquarium Thread

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, y'all saw what Bradley got me for our anniversary

The ultimate goal is to have a couple of seahorses, but there are a few things we have to add to the aquarium first b/c seahorses are a lot of hard work.
This thread will follow the journey from the first little fish until, ultimately, our seahorsies!!
We added our first "cycle fish", a damsel, today. At $10, she's the cheapest fish that'll go in here.
This is the best shot I could get (she's tiny, but beautiful: navy blue with neon blue stripes with a yellow stripe down the middle).

As you can see, Cosette is already obsessed! (You can see the little damsel really well in front of that white coral).

That's all I have for now, but I'll add pictures to this thread as our aquarium grows

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Now you need to get the kittys their own perch to watch the fish.

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a cool aquarium - I can't wait to see the seahorses when you get them! Your new fish *is* beautiful, wow!
As is Cosette, I just love her tail - she looks like she's enjoying your new aquarium, too!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lookin' good so far Amy! I'm excited to see how your aquarium transforms. And Cosette, of course, is such a cutie! Your little ones don't even know what they're in for!! They've got so much to look forward to!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohhh good luck!! I wanted to have a seahorse aquarium and decided itd be too much work with two cats a betta tank and a saltwater tank already lol I can't wait to see more pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
We are having a hard time getting Cosette to do anything BUT look at the fishie. So far, Eppie doesn't care too much, but I think that'll change once we add a few more fishies. The seahorses will be added in about a month or so, but I'll be updating on here every step of the way, in case anyone else is inspired to start a seahorse aquarium too

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

So far, Eppie doesn't care too much, but I think that'll change once we add a few more fishies.
My cat Petunia was oblivious of the fish but she would sit by the tank swishing her tail and the fish would follow her tail back and forth.

But I'm sure Eppie will be more interested when there are more to follow. This is exciting about the seahorses.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little fish!!! Your tank setup looks nice. What are ya gonna name that little fish? You guys (and the drama queens) are gonna have a blast with that aquarium. I'm soo pleased for you!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will be fun watching your aquarium grow. I love the picture of Cosette looking at it. This will be a very interesting process.

Lei

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought you couldn't have any fish with seahorses? There is a compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com that says so.. Thats one of the reasons I didnt start one of my own..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm

also have you been to

http://forum.seahorse.org/

edit: I found this too
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml the seahorse people say different lol but they wouldn't be safe in our tank sicne we have corals and a mean emerald crab. How big is the tank anyway?

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
We've named our first damsel fish "Rocket" (short for Rocket Scientist) b/c he is not the smartest fishie in the sea

Originally Posted by RoyalEnchntrss

I thought you couldn't have any fish with seahorses? There is a compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com that says so.. Thats one of the reasons I didnt start one of my own..
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm
also have you been to
http://forum.seahorse.org/

edit: I found this too
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml the seahorse people say different lol but they wouldn't be safe in our tank sicne we have corals and a mean emerald crab. How big is the tank anyway?
Thank you for the info and links
Emerald crabs are so pretty- the green adds a lot to an aquarium!
I think Bradley and I visited every seahorse-related website in the world these past few days!
We are working with the folks at our local exotic fish store on which fishes to add with seahorses. I was concerned, too, after reading that compatability chart, so we'll only add fish that they know will work well with our sea ponies

Oh, the tank is 28 gal. by the way!

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent! Fish tanks are beautiful, even though they are a lot of work. A well-kept saltwater tank is definitely worth the work. I'm looking forward to seeing the tank when you finally put the seahorses in.

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Thank you for the info and links
Emerald crabs are so pretty- the green adds a lot to an aquarium!

I think Bradley and I visited every seahorse-related website in the world these past few days!
We are working with the folks at our local exotic fish store on which fishes to add with seahorses. I was concerned, too, after reading that compatability chart, so we'll only add fish that they know will work well with our sea ponies

Oh, the tank is 28 gal. by the way!
Haha Yea Emeral Crabs are pretty alright but mean little suckers! I have a couple ricordia's i LOVE and when i try to feed them he comes and eats the food off of them! We were fighting a lot back around christmas but now he knows I dont like him and won't come out unless its night time. He barely is seen and hides so much he's turning white. Stupid crab. lol Here is a link on my website of our reef.
http://hazyglade.com/reef.htm Its only a 10 gallon but we're hoping to upgrade soon to maybe a 20 or 30. Have you been to reefcentral.com? They have a seahorse section too. http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=35

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love saltwater tanks!! I am planning on getting one when I move into a house - I don't want to set one up in a my flat as I'm not planning on staying here forever. I would also be a bit nervous about having such a heavy tank on a second floor!

What other types of fish are you going to get? I have a huge soft spot for clown fish (even before Finding Nemo came out!).

Can't wait to see pictures as it goes along!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stacy, wow your tank is gorgeous! Is that a clownfish I see?
I cannot wait to add live rock; that'll hopefully happen in a few weeks once we get the tank cycled. I think the live rock is more expensive than most of the fish!! I've never been to ReefCentral, so thank you so much for that link
I'm already addicted!

Purity, thanks
We are adding one more damsel on Friday to continue cycling. I think we're going to add about 1 fish/week. Next weekend, I'll hopefully add our first clownfish. Ultimately, I'd like: 2 damselfish , 2 clownfish , 1 panther grouper (they are beautiful), 2 blood red fire shrimp , 1 or 2 red sea star , the 2 seahorses , and this other gorgeous fish we saw last weekend (can't think of it's name right now). I'd also like a pipefish pipefish or two. Guess I may need a larger aquarium one day!