The Great Pastry Thread - Fun and prizes!!!

ebmeow15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Macaroons! Cinnamon Toast and cookie dough are my favorite flavors! Light and crispy and mildly sweet

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Malowah. It's a lovely middle eastern dish made from flaky pastry and fried. Then fresh tomatoes are grated and put on top of the Malowah wit. Skhug which is a very hot condiment here made from Red or green peppers and this is a yemenite condiment and to finish off a hard boiled egg. It's delicious.
Years ago my son came home from the army for s long weekend. He was bored as his sister and girlfriend were in school
He took one of my cookery books, a yemenite one and made the pastry from scratch. This is a boy who had never cooked. It was delicious.
He said that any man who says he can't cook is liar. All you have to do is open a cookery book and follow the recipe. He's right. That's how I learned.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Brandy snaps.  Crunchy toffee biscuits flavoured with ginger spice, very thin tray baked and full of holes from the bubbling sugar.  Curled up in to tubes while still hot then filled with whipped cream once cooled.  They used to be one of my favourite sweets when we went to hotels when I was a child.  I still love them now but you don't see them very often.  I've never been brave enough to make them, but I also know that if I did I'd end up eating the whole batch in minutes so it's probably a good thing that I don't got there! 

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom used to make Monkey Bread when we were young.  Its super easy to make - you take a tube of those pre-made biscuits, chop each "biscuit" in quarters and toss them in a bag with cinnamon and sugar to coat them.  You put them in a bundt pan, then you melt butter and brown sugar and pour that on top.  You bake, and then you have this amazing "cake" that you can just peel apart, one "biscuit" at a time.  Super easy and great when you have a bunch of kids to feed.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pumpkin swirl low-fat cheesecake, with a crushed gingersnap and pecan crust. My own recipe that I "invented" and is a hit.

Spent the day blowing my swollen, red nose, watching a documentary about D.B. Cooper, and watched my little Mafia boss kitten asserting her authority in the pecking order!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
A cinnamon and apple upside down cake that my SiL and brother  make but i don;t know if it's got a proper name.  They peel and cut up a huge pile of cooking apples and toss a thick layer into the bottom of a big, deep baking tray, layer over a mixture of grond cinnamon and sugar, then cover it all with a sponge mix.  It gets baked in the oven and when it comes out it gets cut in to squares.  The result is a seriouly yummy, gooey spiced apple cake that you can never have enough of at parties.   And it is as good cold as it is hot, and on its own or with custard or cream.  One day I will remember to get the recipe off them. 

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, its certainly getting harder to come up with different pastries at this point in the game, but I'd like to share my recipe for mini breakfast pies.  I take pastry dough and line each cup of a muffin tin, then bake them.  After they have cooled, I add whatever leftovers I have that week (veggies, meat, and/or cheese), then add a mixture of eggs and egg whites.  I bake them, let them cool, then wrap them individually and freeze them.  They're a great portable breakfast all week long!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cinnamon and apple upside down cake that my SiL and brother  make but i don;t know if it's got a proper name.  They peel and cut up a huge pile of cooking apples and toss a thick layer into the bottom of a big, deep baking tray, layer over a mixture of grond cinnamon and sugar, then cover it all with a sponge mix.  It gets baked in the oven and when it comes out it gets cut in to squares.  The result is a seriouly yummy, gooey spiced apple cake that you can never have enough of at parties.   And it is as good cold as it is hot, and on its own or with custard or cream.  One day I will remember to get the recipe off them. 
Recipe pleeeeaaasssee

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brandy snaps.  Crunchy toffee biscuits flavoured with ginger spice, very thin tray baked and full of holes from the bubbling sugar.  Curled up in to tubes while still hot then filled with whipped cream once cooled.  They used to be one of my favourite sweets when we went to hotels when I was a child.  I still love them now but you don't see them very often.  I've never been brave enough to make them, but I also know that if I did I'd end up eating the whole batch in minutes so it's probably a good thing that I don't got there! :lol3:  
You've got to twist the bikky part round the handle of a wooden spoon before it dries. Rather you than me. Make nice Christmas pressies ig you can keep your sticky little fingers off them.
;-)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Malowah. It's a lovely middle eastern dish made from flaky pastry and fried. Then fresh tomatoes are grated and put on top of the Malowah wit. Skhug which is a very hot condiment here made from Red or green peppers and this is a yemenite condiment and to finish off a hard boiled egg. It's delicious.
Years ago my son came home from the army for s long weekend. He was bored as his sister and girlfriend were in school
He took one of my cookery books, a yemenite one and made the pastry from scratch. This is a boy who had never cooked. It was delicious.
He said that any man who says he can't cook is liar. All you have to do is open a cookery book and follow the recipe. He's right. That's how I learned.

Actually the whole dish is yemenite I think.

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone mentioned Italian Cheesecake yet?  Its made with Ricotta cheese and is less dense than traditional cheesecake.