The Fall Decorating Thread!

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the corn stalks, straw bale, mums, pumpkins and gourds outside the front door. Fall is the best season!!!

Last year, I threw the gourds and pumpkins out back by the burn pile....guess what I had this year??? Anyone need some dang gourds? Who would have guessed that 3 little gourds would produce 50 or more this year????? Going to be more careful about where I throw them this time!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

Last year, I threw the gourds and pumpkins out back by the burn pile....guess what I had this year??? Anyone need some dang gourds? Who would have guessed that 3 little gourds would produce 50 or more this year????? Going to be more careful about where I throw them this time!!
I made the mistake of planting gourds in my garden - they smothered all of the cucumbers!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

I do the corn stalks, straw bale, mums, pumpkins and gourds outside the front door. Fall is the best season!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a really gorgeous gord that my mom's best friend made for Bradley. We keep it up year-round b/c it's so pretty, but I guess it is more fall-ish than anything.
I went to Tuesday Morning this weekend (LOVE that store) and got some cute fall stuff; I'll post pics later.
I cannot wait to see pictures of everyone's fall homes. Gail, I bet you'll have some gorgeous vegetation to display! Karen, yours is already looking great!

By the way, if any of you are into making wreaths, Martha Stewart has this Great American Wreath book. She made 50 wreaths (one representative of each state) and it includes pictures and directions on how to make them. If you're not into wreath-making per se, the book makes a nice coffee table topper!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Amy, It's 90 degrees here today, and I have to tell you, it has really gotten me out of the Fall decorating spirit!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's about that hot down here now, too
. But....it's not that hot INSIDE the apartment
. So when I get home from the vet, I'm going to light a fall-scented candle and at least pretend *sigh*.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Today I wasn't in a great mood, so I decided to indulge in a little "retail therapy". I went to the Christmas Tree Shop, and look what I got for $38.49! :

2 pumpkin spice scented pillar candles that are wrapped with cord
pumpkin spice potpourri
a planter that has flip flops on it (my niece loves flip flops)
a ceramic tealight holder that looks like a jack o' lantern cat
2 glass pumpkins
2 cat dishes
a gold charger palte
2 large botanical gift bags
a bag of 50 tealights
2 boxes of notecards (18 count)
and 5 jack o'lantern buckets

look at the detail on the buckets. I think I will put a candle in them and put them in the window on Halloween! They were only $1.29 each!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Why weren't you in a good mood today Pal?
My father has a few health problems, and it is just frustrating. Trying to convince my mother on the best way to deal with him is a huge struggle. The antibiotic I am currently taking is making me feel a little
- not as bad as the first few days though. Traffic was bad, etc..... it was just a day I should have stayed in bed, locked the doors and turned the phone off!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

My father has a few health problems, and it is just frustrating. Trying to convince my mother on the best way to deal with him is a huge struggle. The antibiotic I am currently taking is making me feel a little
- not as bad as the first few days though. Traffic was bad, etc..... it was just a day I should have stayed in bed, locked the doors and turned the phone off!
Well, I sure hope today is better for you.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cagnes

Very pretty! I agree that you could use something with more height. Just are a few suggestions... A fall looking picture proped against the wall, a standing scarecrow or turkey figure, a vase, basket or crock filled with dried twigs, wheat or silk sunflowers, fall colored candles on tall candle holders.

The only fall decorated photos I have are of some of my cats.

Those are beautiful kitty pictures! Have you entered them in any contests?

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh Karen, excellent splurge!!
I love those pumpkin buckets!!

I hope your dad feels better and that today is a better one for you!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I'm bummed out is that the majority of my corn stalks got flatten or broken off my that awful weather we had Tues evening. I should be able to salvage enough for one bundle in front of the house. Rats!! I didn't check the pumpkins yet!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail you're growing pumpkins??? Wow, now I'm jealous!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well up to a few yrs ago we grew the "Atlantic Giants" Our largest however was only 298#. Trust me this is tiny!! Let me tell you that is a whole different realm to grow them. I participate in auctions to buy the seeds (up to $10/seed). You know who grows the big ones in the country and try to buy their seeds. I can get seeds locally from say700-800# pumpkins. Very specific growing. watering, measuring. We would bring them into local giant pumpkins weigh-in's. I think the largest grown is about 1300#. Its so addictive just seeing how big your's can grow!! But the regular ones are good too!! I grow gourds too!! Didn't have good luck this yr with the drought but next yr for sure.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a question..
If you decorate pumpkins in your house, do you buy the fake or the fresh ones?
and how long do the fresh ones last for??
because i saw some really cute ones that i could decorate on my dining room tabel but i dont know how long they will survive for?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends what the temperatures are. But in my experience if you are going to cut into them they really only look good for 3-5 days. Lots of people of course have them outside and they will last a while esp if not cut unless the temps fall to where they will freeze. Trust me on trying to move a mushy 150 pound pumpkin.
There are some good fakes-I try to buy them after halloween when they go on sale.
Or if they are really cheap-like the mini ones at the farmers market 50cents-you can cut top off and scoop seeds out and stick a candle in. But then remember that won't last long but since they are cheap its not so bad. Plus I save and wash seeds splash with vegetable oil and seasonings and bake for a yummy snack.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never decorated for autumn before, but I am really wanting to. I'll have to try to come up with crafty things that are still contemporary.