Can Outdoor Rescues Ever be Content Indoors

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 rescues, street cats from Fla. They have been with me 3 months now and both mom and kitten are less than 2 yrs old.
The have a large area of 6 rooms with 2 big enclosed porch areas to sit outside in the sun and get air and watch the bird feeder and all birds and squirrels visiting it in the yard...lots of trees,dogs walking by and sites to see.
But they seem like they are always meowing and whining.... not for food, not for toys,not for my attention, not for treats. Just whining! The only thing I can do is tire them out with playful interaction and let them nap.
There are NO outdoor cats in my area and I notice from the neighborhood news list that people are reporting escaped house cats every day!
My question: Is it possible for a former stray or street cat to ever be content staying indoors or will it eventually mean harness training for trips and walks . Right now they are too small and will slither out of the harness.
I have a relative that says the behavior and discontent will gradually get worse as time goes on.
What say you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know of several people that have transitioned cat from only outdoor to only indoor. It takes time a persistence. So certainly worth a try.Are they meowing whining when watching the birds? That could just be chittering. Cats can talk non stop looking at birds and squirrels.
Thanks for the reply. They contentedly watch the birds for stretches at a time and then come in and meow. It's not chittering. Just meowing, following me, rubbing up against my legs and jumping up on them when I am sitting. It is definitely not for a pat or to get attention. They want SOMETHING.(wish I could speak 'meow')

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless they are talkers.I have one if I am am in front of her she will be talking. Outside is just to dangerous. The fox, bears and other animals.Our country road that people drive down the road way to fast. Then there is the occasional sociopath who will shoot someone's outdoors cat.I doubt I could have an outside cat, I wouldn't be able to breathe or sleep. You can still figure out what they are talking about it has only been three months.Thank you for taking them in. You have done a good thing.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless they are talkers.I have one if I am am in front of her she will be talking. Outside is just to dangerous. The fox, bears and other animals.Our country road that people drive down the road way to fast. Then there is the occasional sociopath who will shoot someone's outdoors cat.I doubt I could have an outside cat, I wouldn't be able to breathe or sleep. You can still figure out what they are talking about it has only been three months.Thank you for taking them in. You have done a good thing.
Around here it is Coyotes and birds of prey swooping down to take squirrels larger than my kitten. Not to mention the mice full of poison...and they will get the mice from what I see when the have a toy mouse..the Mom taught the baby how to go straight for the neck and hold it down. It was painful to watch the stuffing eventually coming out of the toys. They love their lifelike mice, and leave them in my shoes for gifts. :lol:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can really take a long time. But both of my former outdoor cats are also chatty. Meow about this and meow about that. Sometimes meow for me to come look outside with them.

The button training for them helped lower the meowing. They can ask for food, pets, play...but it does take up some space so isn't an accessible option for everyone.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can really take a long time. But both of my former outdoor cats are also chatty. Meow about this and meow about that. Sometimes meow for me to come look outside with them.

The button training for them helped lower the meowing. They can ask for food, pets, play...but it does take up some space so isn't an accessible option for everyone.
Are you referring to clicker training?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Around here it is Coyotes and birds of prey swooping down to take squirrels larger than my kitten. Not to mention the mice full of poison...and they will get the mice from what I see when the have a toy mouse..the Mom taught the baby how to go straight for the neck and hold it down. It was painful to watch the stuffing eventually coming out of the toys. They love their lifelike mice, and leave them in my shoes for gifts. :lol:
We had a little tiny outdoor feral( that was not that feral at all) .Fox were in seen at the time she went missing. No one ever saw her again. That one really upset me. We have neighbors here who feed ferals,. We do not have a good TNR, but we still managed to get some neutered.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 rescues, street cats from Fla. They have been with me 3 months now and both mom and kitten are less than 2 yrs old.
The have a large area of 6 rooms with 2 big enclosed porch areas to sit outside in the sun and get air and watch the bird feeder and all birds and squirrels visiting it in the yard...lots of trees,dogs walking by and sites to see.
But they seem like they are always meowing and whining.... not for food, not for toys,not for my attention, not for treats. Just whining! The only thing I can do is tire them out with playful interaction and let them nap.
There are NO outdoor cats in my area and I notice from the neighborhood news list that people are reporting escaped house cats every day!
My question: Is it possible for a former stray or street cat to ever be content staying indoors or will it eventually mean harness training for trips and walks . Right now they are too small and will slither out of the harness.
I have a relative that says the behavior and discontent will gradually get worse as time goes on.
What say you?
In regard to: I have a relative that says the behavior and discontent will gradually get worse as time goes on. Maybe and maybe not.My own opinion is if they can have a home that is better. I commend you for trying and putting the efforts. You are trying to do something wonderful for those cats.Yes, there may be other types of placement for them like being a barn cat. I just wish loving homes for as many cats as possible.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of my cats have been former ferals and when they are brought in, the door closes forever. There are too many dangers around here and my avatar and her two sisters are the only survivors of the litter in which coyotes got one other kitten and both parents. I have never had a cat not adjust and not decide that it was nicer inside. As for getting worse over time, that has not happened to me.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My rescues have always adjusted eventually, even those that were older when I brought them inside. Mayflower, who was probably about six when I trapped her, had been wandering my parents’ neighborhood for at least three or four years. She hid behind my furnace for three months, and when she finally emerged, she and I had several conversations about why she couldn’t go outside. But she finally decided she would stay in the five-star hotel she found herself in. I think most cats will adapt as long as we’re patient.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What say you?
GranolaLouise GranolaLouise almost every one of the many cats in my life have been rescues from the streets and every cat in my care becomes an indoor-only cat for their safety and health and because it's the caring, responsible way to care for cats. There are far too many dangers outside, wherever you live, to let cats roam. Yes, you can build a secure catio, cat-fence your property all the way around, and/or walk cats on cat harness and leash. These are all caring, responsible ways to give cats outdoor access safely. Oh, and I almost forgot -- if these builds aren't practical for you, you can get a modular small cat enclosure that can be moved when you move. They're great for people who are renting/leasing. Just search "modular cat enclosures in (your area)" or something similar. And hauspanther.com is THE go-to place for amazing cat toys and other things "cat." (shameless plug.)
Since moving to this location, and in another location as well, my cats have not had these alternatives. They do have a lot of windows and doors to look out, many toys and scratchers, lots of cat trees/towers, and of course, lots of love.They are/have always been very happy indoors. They don't lack for anything, and they are safe.
I disagree with your relative. No caring, responsible person would ever let cats roam outdoors.

Last edited:

JAL57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my relatively limited experience, the lifer ferals will not meow to you to communicate with you, they will just hiss whenever you approach and otherwise stay totally silent. If I were in your shoes, I would take the meowing as a good sign, even if it is a request to go out.

If I ever feel guilty about keeping my cats indoors, I think about British cat Twitter, where I see people frequently posting pictures of their cats going out and almost as frequently posting “lost cat” or “we had to put the cat down because he/she got hit by a car/attacked by a predator” tweets.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good advice FROM EXPERIENCE! Thanks to all who replied. I will feel more relaxed now about keeping them inside as their protector rather than their 'jailer'.
I don;t think I mentioned this above, but I was sitting on the screened- in porch with them as they watched the birds and critters outside.
I was at a table with a big slit open bag of potting soil and some cups and seeds working on seed starting. I walked into the house to refill the water jug...one minute..when I came back, their is Mom on the table sitting like a loaf of bread smack dab in the middle of the bag of potting soil staring at me and looking right at home! That is one of the times I felt like I was punishing them for having been outdoor cats in the past.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GranolaLouise, I am so happy to hear the above. I could tell you are a wonderful person trying to do your best.I still commend and support you. As far as my original post , I certainly was not suggesting you put those lovely cats back outside ,I did not think that would happen.
As far as the part about the barn in my original post: There is ideal and there is reality.When we moved here there were hundreds of feral cats. This is reality,not ideal. It is farm country. I am afraid to look out my windows in the morning.Is the first thing I am going to see a flower or a layer of snow ? Or am I going to see a dead kitten or a cat with three attached leg and the other one dangling and bloody.This is reality not ideal.
Over the years, we ( we is quite a few people) have got the numbers down to under hundred, I mentioned here somewhere our little TNR can only do so much.We managed to get some neutered, but it is out pocket and the vets cannot work for free.Our shelter is always full ( and not a no kill) they work with our local rescues. So we can get some of our ferals off the streets, socialized and into good homes.Remember this process can take a lot time. We are are not scooping up a couple, taking them inside an it one and done. God bless those of you that are doing that though.
When we first moved here. I woke up to a freak snow storm to a mother cat and her four cats on my deck.It was 18 degrees. We were able get them into the garage.As we were over run with cats, on one had any place to put them at time and you could not move on the the road. So I called a farmer with 200 acres farm , barns heated and unheated and he came a got them with vehicle that could get down the road. Maybe not ideal but reality.
These farmers are hard working, caring, community minded people with hearts of gold.
To those of you here who are taking in cats who are about to be euthanized or ferals thank you!
I am not here to stand in judge of others. Sure are things happening I don't like, hell yeah.BUT I try to remain positive and hope for the greater good. Thank you to all of you doing great things, big and small.
PS. That mama cat and her kittens? She is about 14 years. She was spayed as were her kittens. They are still alive and kicking on the farm.Ideal maybe not but reality.A lot of these cats you see one year and not the next.They never live 14 years outside.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two former feral boys who were brought inside when they were approximately 6mo old. They are now about 4 years old (they came from different litters, but I think the mothers were littermates--mother of one disappeared, but of the other two females, they were TNR'd and still show up for food but remain untouchable). The boys are completely content living indoors (they might show slight interest in the front door, because I have ivy that keeps encroaching there, but if you open the door all the way, they run back indoors away from the door "no thank you! we like our regularly appearing food". So the spayed females (one being a mother to one of my indoor boys) must be at least 4.5 years old and look reasonably healthy (again, not touchable, so I have to go by things like seeing them run.

I have another one who was probably born about a year ago (I brought her indoors last July). Completely spoiled rotten, would never have survived to this age outdoors (she had a really bad upper respiratory infection and major flea infestation when I brought her indoors. When I gave her the Dawn bath, as soon as her body touched water, it turned instantly to rust color from all the flea dirt, and that was before I even started actively washing!)

So, yes, they can be completely content indoors. It probably depends on the cat and the indoor environment (I have a number of others who have been indoors much longer, and while he passed away last September from GI lymphoma, Domino (who was 8yo when I brought the boys indoors) kind of took the boys under his wing and taught them all about being indoor cats, so that probably helped.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of my current cats have one former feral and one former stray and neither want to go back outside really. I have others that were rescued from outside but were either not out long or too young to really remember living outside so they don't really count. I have a catio we built and both cats that use to live outside are excited when I open it to them in the spring and summer (it's closed from late fall to late spring because it's too cold here in northern Canada), but don't have any interest in actually going outside past that. I also have one cat that use to be and indoor/outdoor cat and go outside daily (except most of the winter), and it did take awhile, like several months, for her to calm down once I stopped allowing her out. She would cry at the door to go out, but eventually she learned that it wasn't happening anymore. It only really gets worse over time if you give in and allow them out, then they will learn that they just need to whine and meow long enough and they get to go out.

The ones I have that currently try to (and occasional do) escape out the front door are the ones that have grown up inside. I do take a few out on a harness and lead, and one for actual walks. The one that goes for walks is a very outgoing high energy cat, she was never an outside cat so she has never free roamed only been outside on lead in a harness so she seems to understand she has to have the harness on if she wants to go out. If you do decide you want to lead train to take them for walks I do suggest starting young so they are use to it, I have a cheap small kitten harness I use until they get bigger. You should start the harness training inside anyway so if they do wiggle loose they are still inside anyway.

My catio is built on the ground, so they do get to step and paw in the dirt, rocks, and even have a bit of grass, catnip, and random other plants that sprout up in there during the summer. Since you said you have a screen porch what you could try is growing a large container of cat grass for them (an old litter box or the ones they sell at dollar stores work well if you want something smaller and movable) a lot of cats enjoy being able to just lay in the grass and nibble on it. I have catnip that grows around the catio so I also regularly snip leaves and, once it's grown taller the stems, for them to chew up and play with.

Last edited: