The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did JM buns and thighs. I also read the recommendations for the first time today!! Oops! She recommends 5-6 times a week. I'm aiming for 5 with an extra one thrown in when I can. Between this thread and the diet thread I feel like I can lose my saddlebags. Thanks guys.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Luvmy4, I'm sorry about your SO not coming home right away. That is difficult. I'd join you with the tequila if I could, though. I hope you feel better. And we're here for you. 

I take calcium pills (1200 mg, 600 twice a day) and almost 3,000 IUs of Vit D. I am osteopenic (not sure of spelling), so I have to watch the bones a bit. I was taking potassium, but doctor told me to stop taking that. I had been taking 250 mg of magnesium, too, because when one first starts taking Vit D, it can cause constipation sometimes and the magnesium was to try to help with that. Doctor told me to stop that, too.

Mani, good for you with gardening! I'm going to go up to our garden tonight and do some weeding. It won't be heavy-duty, but every little bit helps.

2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. My foot doesn't feel bad, but I didn't want to push it.

You should have seen me this morning on the treadmill. 
 When I was listening to Heavy Fuel (Dire Straits), I would punch my right arm out over the top of the treadmill twice, then punch my left arm out twice, and punch both arms up in the air. All in time to the music while walking. I did that for the entire song, then replayed it and did it again. I'm glad nobody was watching. I don't have wrist weights yet....and I gave my 3-pound dumb bells to my GF a couple of years ago, so I just did it without anything. Just using my fists. 

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know milk has lactose, never heard about it having lactic acid though. As far as DOMS, they used to think it was caused by lactic acid but it has been proven false. The pain felt is from microtears in the tissue.

In any case, I sweat so much and drink so much water that I wouldn't doubt electrolyte imbalances in my case! So I surely don't want to be the reason that someone took something OTC and caused themselves any trouble.

Sorry about the bad news. That stinks!
I did remember the lactic acid factoid from high school, which was a few years ago now. lol. That is what makes science so great, as it is self correcting. 

Thanks everyone. It is hard when plans change and you are missing someone so much.

I went for a long run this morning, slightly longer than my normal 6 mile route. I feel like my head is clearer.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job everybody! I'm taking it somewhat easy today. No workout, but I'm catching up on housework. Scrubbing, etc....so I'm doing some exercise.

Hey Winchester, I started out without weights and still got sore so I'd say you're doing great.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Golly...is a C-scope a colonoscopy?  You will really need to take it easy, Lauren.. That prep is really draining.

Good luck with the C-scope, Lauren! :vibes: :hugs:
Thanks! It was actually a breeze!! :lol3: The prep was the worst of it. I remember nothing of the procedure other than feeling quite loopy going in. :crazy:

Today we are going for a long walk. I don't think I will get back into workouts till Monday. Maybe the treadmill tomorrow though.

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My exercise has been walking - love finding out via my fitbit flex just how much walking I do around the house, shopping, taking packages to fedex and post office - it's a minimum of 1.5 miles per day...love it :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My exercise has been walking - love finding out via my fitbit flex just how much walking I do around the house, shopping, taking packages to fedex and post office - it's a minimum of 1.5 miles per day...love it :)
Yes, exercising isn't just about the stuff we do deliberately. 

I'm off to visit a friend today, cycling to her house. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got in another workout last night. JM banish fat boost metabolism. I did it again today as well as JM buns and thighs. I'm back on track and feeling great. WE CAN DO IT!!! Good work everybody

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't do a workout today, still scrubbing away at the house. I did go swimming a bit this afternoon, but I got more exercise while scrubbing! I can say that I'm sore from it anyway.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't do a workout today, still scrubbing away at the house. I did go swimming a bit this afternoon, but I got more exercise while scrubbing! I can say that I'm sore from it anyway.
According to myfitnesspal cleaning heavy, vigorous effort burns 159 cal per hour and cleaning light, moderate effort burns 133 cal per hour. It's hard to have it all. I've been concentrating on exercise and my house is in need of a bit of scrubbing too!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've done something really bad to my thoracic spine injury with all this cycling :-(

I'm going to the physio on Friday and massage on Thursday but in the meantime it's just walking for me, and rest unfortunately.

I also need to get to a physio close to home who can look at my alignment  on the bike and the way my bike is configured.. I thought I was doing it all right, but obviously not.

So I think I'll opt out of here just for a while as it will just make me feel p'd off that I'm unable to do what I want to do.

But keep it up, girls.. you're doing wonderfully well... and I'll be BACK!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
According to myfitnesspal cleaning heavy, vigorous effort burns 159 cal per hour and cleaning light, moderate effort burns 133 cal per hour....
Hmmm... so back in the day when I used to clean houses...

a 4 hr house, split 50/50, would be 318 + 266 = 584 cal

2 houses a day = 1168 cal 

5 days a week...

Dang, I never really looked at it like that.

Unfortunately, those days are LONG past.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
According to myfitnesspal cleaning heavy, vigorous effort burns 159 cal per hour and cleaning light, moderate effort burns 133 cal per hour. It's hard to have it all. I've been concentrating on exercise and my house is in need of a bit of scrubbing too!!
I knew that just general housework burns calories, too. Pretty much anything you do burns something. Guess I need to get the vacuum cleaner back out again.

I've done something really bad to my thoracic spine injury with all this cycling :-(

I'm going to the physio on Friday and massage on Thursday but in the meantime it's just walking for me, and rest unfortunately.

I also need to get to a physio close to home who can look at my alignment  on the bike and the way my bike is configured.. I thought I was doing it all right, but obviously not.

So I think I'll opt out of here just for a while as it will just make me feel p'd off that I'm unable to do what I want to do.

Aw, Mani.
 I'm sorry. Take it easy for awhile, and yes, please come BACK!

Keep going, guys!

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

1.6 mile walk last night....Rick walked with me for the first time in a long time. He has promised that he will start walking with me again. 

Last edited:

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh no. Mani wishing you a speedy recovery. Back injuries are no laughing matter. 

I did not workout yesterday, too much running around with Father's Day and all. This morning I worked on my legs and did the elliptical for 30 minutes to warm up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well done, ladies! :clap:
I've considered getting one of those. :)

Oh no. :( I hope you are feeling better soon. :hugs:

I hurt. :lol3: Not as much as I did yesterday and this morning though. I had a few days of heavy yard work, including shoveling mulch. My arms ache.

In addition to that, (let me pull out my phone), I walked 4.13 miles Saturday (no weights), 3.73 miles Yesterday (no weights) and 3.9 miles today with one pound weight, no swinging.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
First...

I've finally decided to try and get serious (again) about exercising.

I am very much out of shape, having not exercised hardly at all for the last year.

Last week I managed 2 days of pilates/yoga at home.

Then, a few days ago, I got a twinge in my shoulder that ran all the way up my neck.  The first day was tolerable, but the second day I woke up in tears from the pain.  I rarely take medications, but that day I took 3 doses of Ibuprophren.  The next day was better, but still very tense.

Today I can still feel the soreness, but decided to try and work through it.

So, 30 minutes of beginning pilates and 45 minutes of beginning yoga poses.

My goal is to do this at least 3 times this week.  Next week, 4 times.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Mani! Hope you feel better soon!

Had a somewhat yucky workout. I did Tabata Inferno with 5a lb weights (increased from 3 lbs) and really had to force myself today. I woke up exhausted from the weekend, and I think I'm gaining strength faster than than endurance. If I had to pick one, I'll take the strength for now for overall fat burning and shape. Oh well, enough complaining, at least I worked out.

Furmonster Mom, be careful with doing too much too soon. I sort of just "went through the motions" instead if trying to be perfect initially, and I was sore from that! Taking it slow has still gotten me to sweat, get sore but not injured, and the pants fit a touch looser. Totally worth going slow over waiting for meds to help pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.