The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my triceps and abs today. The mornings and evenings are getting cooler now. We had the heater on tonight. Are you people over there stealing my summer away? I haven't had enough yet. It's starting to feel like autumn and I'm not too thrilled. I ordered a few pairs of exercise tights to try on this morning. That helped me feel a bit better about the coolness. They are full length. My days in shorts are numbered now. :D

Keep going people. If you start getting Sunshine then you better make the most of it :lol3:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today won't be an active walking day so I will have to do a workout inside. The girl I babysit isn't here and my daughter has a cold so we aren't going walking to play group today like we had planned. If she's feeling better later, we might take a walk to the dollar store and library.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That calculator is pretty close actually. I was active for 2:38 but this is the amount of steps for almost a whole day so it's counting the whole days calories burnt. The active time was just time I spent out walking with my kids and shopping tonight.
It might be then close, or not, it is bit difficult to know really, but if you have been same amount of active as before, then I don't think you need to adjust eating because of calories you burned.

That other link lists all kind of walking and those seem to be quite bit lower for walking at that pace, but problem is they are just some examples, so it makes knowing bit challenging.

For me 1 hour and 5 minutes of run/walk so that intensity is quite high (gasping for air at running part and sweating half a gallon) gives 538 calories per hour and other run/walk with higher heart rate 703 calories per hour, those are net calories I have calculated from heart rate monitor's reported calories, I weight nearly 200 pounds. I need to do some walking and see what lies heart rate monitor tells me then, I don't know if that is at all accurate either, I still have trusted what it has told me.

It is quite interesting problem, how to make sure that it is accurate what our devices are reporting. I got Polar today so I'm going to do some comparison between my old HRM and Polar, there might be differences that might reveal something more.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walk at a fairly slow pace since I'm walking with a 3 year old but I live in an area full of hills. I have to walk uphill one way almost everywhere I go.

I haven't been active today. I'm only at 1152 steps and it's almost noon. The other 2 days, ive been around 5,000 by now. I had my band off for a while too because I was doing dishes and making meatballs, then I forgot to put it back on right away.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm bit disappointed with Polar, their software for PC is not working, does not make connection and watch itself, well, if I start workout watch says something went wrong and has to be reset, can't really use it at all.

Only thing that works is activity tracking and fitness test, which gave me Elite fitness, VO2Max of 52 while for my age group 51+ is highest class, I still can't jog 200 meters without exhausting myself and I climb one hill with a bike in 18 minutes which other people climb in 9 minutes, so it might be tad off that fitness test. It is said to be 86 to 96% accurate, even with largest error it would place me on good level and yet I can't even perform at average level, I guess that just shows how some things are not to be trusted too much.

Well, I did send mail to Polar, let's see if they answer, it would be nice to get thing to work, but quite serious issues, I feel like Alpha tester of something I have coded myself instead of product I have bought.

I guess I go to bike ride anyway even I don't feel very motivated right now.

@catlover19, I live in hilly area too, only to grocery store is at direction with mild hills, other directions have more or even more hills to climb.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and biceps today then went for a slow 20 min jog. Today is my rest day but I didn't train on Monday so I had to make up for it. I've actually had low energy all this week so I went back over myfitnesspal for a few weeks to see what my carb intake has been. I'm going to try eat more carbs this week and see how I go. I've made a rice custard to eat as a snack. It has 1/2 the quantity of sugar and I used coconut sugar instead of refined sugar. ( seems less naughty)The rest is milk and eggs. All good for me. I have a sweet tooth and I'm trying to accommodate that by allowing myself healthier treats. I really dislike artificial sweetener but I'm going to get myself some spender this week. Artificial sweetener or sugar :seesaw: neither of them are good I think . One makes you fat. :wife:

Another thing I have done all week is take my resting heart rate in the mornings. Rohan has been urging me to do this for ages but I kept forgetting. I am not a morning person. I don't want another morning chore thanks. :lol3: Anyways it's very interesting. I'll have to record it for a bit longer to get a better idea. The idea is to monitor my recovery.

I'm resting tomorrow so you guys work hard for me ok :clap:
Make those tracker devices go berserk :lol3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I walked for about three hours in total yesterday. I had to work all day today, so haven't had time for anything active. The rain is coming down in sheets now, that's a good excuse for a lazy day.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and biceps today then went for a slow 20 min jog. Today is my rest day but I didn't train on Monday so I had to make up for it. I've actually had low energy all this week so I went back over myfitnesspal for a few weeks to see what my carb intake has been. I'm going to try eat more carbs this week and see how I go. I've made a rice custard to eat as a snack. It has 1/2 the quantity of sugar and I used coconut sugar instead of refined sugar. ( seems less naughty)The rest is milk and eggs. All good for me. I have a sweet tooth and I'm trying to accommodate that by allowing myself healthier treats. I really dislike artificial sweetener but I'm going to get myself some spender this week. Artificial sweetener or sugar :seesaw: neither of them are good I think . One makes you fat. :wife:

Another thing I have done all week is take my resting heart rate in the mornings. Rohan has been urging me to do this for ages but I kept forgetting. I am not a morning person. I don't want another morning chore thanks. :lol3: Anyways it's very interesting. I'll have to record it for a bit longer to get a better idea. The idea is to monitor my recovery.

I'm resting tomorrow so you guys work hard for me ok :clap:
Make those tracker devices go berserk :lol3:
Get Xylitol, it is not artifical sweetener, but sugar made from birch tree, except it is not sugar, it will also be good for your teeth and you can't eat too much of it because when you eat too much it has gut emptying effect. Also tastes like fresh sugar, it is better tasting than normal sugar.

I don't know if you have better prices at some other places there, but one link I found:
http://www.naturallysweet.com.au/naturally-sweet-birch-xylitol-500g

Here they tell what Xylitol is if it is unknown http://www.naturallysweet.com.au/what-is-xylitol

Oh and don't ever buy Xylitol made from Corn, it is not the same thing!

My workout today was this kind, wood is heavy:

Last edited:

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great 30ish minute run today.  It was finally warm enough to run outside on my favorite path by the lake.  The scenery is always gorgeous.  Gonna make it hard to go back to the gym. 

I take my iPod for music, so I'm always tempted to snap some pics.
  Running during sunset (my favorite time) feels so spiritual and peaceful.  

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did over 12,500 steps today. It would have been more but my husband drove us home from our walk because he was on his way home and it looked like it was going to rain. My app says I burnt 909 calories today. I'm exhausted, it was a very long and busy day.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did over 12,500 steps today. It would have been more but my husband drove us home from our walk because he was on his way home and it looked like it was going to rain. My app says I burnt 909 calories today. I'm exhausted, it was a very long and busy day.
That is a lot of steps, well done!

I think that I got to something like 5000 today (it resets at mid night and software is so broken that I can't get it to sync anything to computer) and most of those came when I was riding a bicycle, vibration and shaking of bike counted as steps with my tracker :D

Also I noticed that it did not register much of any steps when I carried something with me.

That made me think that I should put thing to my ankle to get better idea of steps I'm taking instead of how much I wave my arms, for some reason mine is such, but of course it does show a bit how much I move around and it shows that I stay too much in one place, despite I'm doing bicycle rides and such.

I did push snow around for bit over 30 minutes, I did it very slowly as asthma has been bad and I run out of air easily, which makes workout to be anaerobic quite easily.

Then I rode a bike for 53 minutes, again quite slowly.

I need to build aerobic base more and do less fast hard rides, even those are fun, they are not really helping me reconditioning my body, so I keep heart rate below 130 now for about a month I guess and see what are results from that. Also I try to increase amount of time I ride, I have been slacking off quite a bit I would say.

Only 14 hours of sweating this month, in October 2015 I did 38 hours of sweating in 3 weeks, it starts to be 3 weeks of this month already and only 14 hours, so that is area to improve now, slower and longer for more benefit.

Also need to really stick with weight training routine, that is something I skip way too easily because it is so static in a way I guess. Maybe I need to write down what moves to do daily and put that to wall, then mark them up.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to start the exercise program "cize" tomorrow. It looks like fun and my daughter can dance along beside me. I'm at 8,000 steps today. Most of those are from cleaning (laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, picking up toys, etc).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I walked for two hours yesterday. I've been keeping my trail camera in a different spot for the past 4 nights, but there haven't been any cats so I need to find a new place for it.

3 hours of very energetic house work this morning. I need to get out and do some more work on the cat's enclosure this afternoon.

Lumberjack coming to help me move the last of the big fallen trees and fix the cat-fence this week!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walked for an hour and a half yesterday on the trail next to the Ohio River. The view on the trail won't be pretty for at least a month, but I can give you an idea of what it looks like as I live next to both river and trail.

Norachan, sending my prayers for Sophie that she is happily playing over the rainbow bridge. [emoji]128532[/emoji]

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my back and shoulders today. Then I helped out at the gymnastics club. They call me a coach :D I have no idea :lol3: I had a go again at a few things. I can't wait to get on those uneven bars but for the most part I wanna try out the boys apparatus.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it seems as though I've caught my kids cold. I'm going to attempt the exercise still but I'm feeling pretty rough this morning. I've done almost 3,000 steps already despite feeling yucky and it's only 9:30 am.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just did my cize workout. It's dancing, you learn a dance and then do it at the end. I am a horrible dancer but thought I'd try something different. My tracker says I did about 2600 steps and burnt 181 calories in 30 minutes.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
58 minutes of bicycling, almost 2 inches of wet snow on road, one section had less, but there snow was driven over with many cars which makes snow annoying to ride with bicycle.

Average heart rate was 119bpm, at heart rate of 125bpm it felt like running out of air, asthma acting badly again, 125bpm feels like 155bpm, so I tried to keep heart rate 125bpm at maximum.

Speed was not very fast and toward end of 2nd lap speed decreased even further despite I kept same heart rate.

I did put my tracker to ankle and now it actually counts most of my walking, I guess I don't move my arms much when walking and most of walking I do when I have something to carry, firewood, water, pizza, cat food, cats, my oven is other building you see as well as source of water. Then moving snow, again hands hold the handle and I push snow with a tool so hardly any of that activity get recorded, but I noticed petting the cat counts lot of steps :D

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we worked on the treadmill again over the weekend.....for now, it seems to be ok again.

2 miles on the treadmill this morning.

3 miles walked during my lunch hour today.

@Norachan. I looked through the posts....nothing on Sophie?? 

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did put my tracker to ankle and now it actually counts most of my walking, I guess I don't move my arms much when walking and most of walking I do when I have something to carry, firewood, water, pizza, cat food, cats, my oven is other building you see as well as source of water. Then moving snow, again hands hold the handle and I push snow with a tool so hardly any of that activity get recorded, but I noticed petting the cat counts lot of steps
JTbo, for what it's worth, I was told that when I'm using the elliptical, I should put my Fitbit Flex in my pocket or stick it down inside my sock. The reason for that is that the elliptical does not track well with the Flex. I found that even sticking the tracker into my pocket gave me a better reading when using the elliptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.