The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know how you take the temperatures, Jtbo. I haven't been able to get warm since my walk earlier.

That looks pretty, Notachan. Cold and tough to walk, but pretty. :nod:

I woke up to no snow. :dk: Off I walked. It ended up being a little less than 4 miles. I put in brand new sneakers and have a blister to show for it and limped back. :cringe:

Four days in a row of walking this week. I haven't done that in a long time. :nod:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how you take the temperatures, Jtbo. I haven't been able to get warm since my walk earlier.

That looks pretty, Notachan. Cold and tough to walk, but pretty. :nod:

I woke up to no snow. :dk: Off I walked. It ended up being a little less than 4 miles. I put in brand new sneakers and have a blister to show for it and limped back. :cringe:

Four days in a row of walking this week. I haven't done that in a long time. :nod:
Fleece has lot to do with it, but also lots of Vitamin-C and Magnesium. For hands I wear knead gloves with Thinsulate and on top of those extra large sheep skin mittens that have sheep wool kind of insulation. For feet technical wool sock for hiking and another wool sock on top of that, in shoe there is also thin insulation thing that is slip into shoe before you put shoe on, it has layer of tin to reflect heat.

I don't usually feel much cold when being out because of multiple quite thin layers of clothing. Keep dry, stop wind getting to skin, adjust level of exercise so that you have warm but not allowing lot of sweating.

I did read some time ago that US military personnel had come here to learn and train surviving in cold temperatures, not sure what they can learn as Alaska is even colder place than what it is here, but I guess it is good to swap experiences.

Ah and one thing helps a lot, I use wood burning stove to cook, near it temperature gets above +30C when I'm cooking hot spicy meat, it then glows heat for more than 6 hours after cooking, I can't think how on earth I could survive before when I had no fireplace, must to have thing at winter. No so nice when it is +25C at summer and have to cook as it still makes same amount of heat :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I spent all day sitting on the couch, drinking tea and gossiping with friends.  

I'll be back tomorrow, I promise.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Reading this thread makes me feel tired and out of shape! One hour of brisk walking today and two hours of cleaning litter boxes. Does the latter count?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
i'm trying to decide between fitbit, nike fuel and jawbone's up24.
Have you read the reviews for the jawbone on Amazon? I was considering one until I did.

I spent all day sitting on the couch, drinking tea and gossiping with friends.  

:anon:

I'll be back tomorrow, I promise.
:lol3: I think we all have days like that.

Reading this thread makes me feel tired and out of shape! One hour of brisk walking today and two hours of cleaning litter boxes. Does the latter count?
:

It does in my opinion. :lol3: I feel any movement is better than none.

This may be a day off for me as well. I am waiting for a repair man to show up. Depending on what time he leaves I may be able to fit a walk in after.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my back and triceps yesterday. I was also meant to do shoulders and abs but I will do them today. I had a great week. I love my new programme with 2 cardio sessions a week.
Good work everybody. Have a great weekend.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I managed a one hour walk today. I don't think I went that far, but trudging through the snow and trying to balance on the icy patches  worked a few muscles I don't often use.

I've just finished work, 7 hours at the computer. Going to do a bit of stretching now.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to go skiing today, instead I found it is already dark, 3pm now and I fell asleep around 6pm last night, I would probably slept much longer, but indoor temperature has got below +15C.

Winter makes me close to hibernating, I'm sure of that :D

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Shoveling would be my exercise for today. :rolleyes:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like shoveling will be my exercise again today, :nod:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like shoveling will be my exercise again today,
Shoveling is great exercise and it certainly warms you up for the day.

I did an hour of yoga yesterday. I'm going shopping for crampons now so I can go for a proper walk without falling on my butt.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try one of our 'gifts' to the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking

Some people call that dementia skiing here, as it is like skiing one just forgets ski's :D

Anyway with good sticks/poles it is much safer than normal walking because those good ones grip on ice too so if feet slips you still have plenty of support.

Also it is a lot more efficient than just walking and especially good for belly area when you go brake with feet and push with sticks/poles.

Even skiing poles/sticks work if nothing else is available.

I like that because it takes load off from knees a bit (I push down quite hard to really work on my arms and upper body), also it helps me to walk much faster.

However I'm not walking very much because no matter what I have tried, I get blisters and eventually also knee issues.

Running steep uphill with those sticks is really good too, speed compared to without them seem to be quite a lot more.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
3 miles walking over lunch in the snow. It wasn't too bad, but I couldn't have done it without the YakTrax. I'd have been all over the place.....and mostly on my butt!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't train yesterday. I ate badly the day before and I just felt blah. I am disappointed in myself. Today I did my back and triceps. I'm hoping to get a good nights sleep tonight and then I'll be back on track.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

3 miles walking over lunch in the snow. It wasn't too bad, but I couldn't have done it without the YakTrax. I'd have been all over the place.....and mostly on my butt!
There's a lot to be said for not landing on your butt.

I'm really happy with these spike and chain things, they're good over ice, snow or mud even on the steeper tracks.

I did one hour of yoga this morning and 90 minutes walk this afternoon.

@Tammat  I just noticed you're in Australia, it's summer where you are, right? You're so lucky.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It will be shoveling again today. We do have snowshoes, so I may fool around with those a bit tomorrow. :)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 12cm (5 inches) of snow last night, I did shovel 100 meters of it, heavy stuff and I could only push length of snow bucket/shovel thing until it was full.

Day after tomorrow it is forecasted to be snowing again same amount. There is now around 2 feet of it and forest has a lot of snow too so cats don't like it anymore, they sink too deep, then they make noises and look to me with blame in their eyes, like if it would be my fault.

So they have 100 meter square track now, I still need to clear paths that go inside of that square, so they can play hide and seek. I guess that means that cats are my personal trainer :D

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
finally stopped raining here so got to take the dogs for a long overdue walk tonight, about 47 or 50 minutes or so. yeehaw ! 

Status
Not open for further replies.