The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 hours of firewood splitting, carrying and also metal roof sheet carrying as I got used roofing material from neighbor free of cost.

Now I can start fixing the roof then, that will be quite bit of workout, lowest edge of roof is at height of 4.5 meters, that is over 13 feet.

Tomorrow is again firewood throwing from pile to warehouse at one elderly lady, it is usually hour worth of sweating.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't posted here for a while. I've been doing my usual walking and yoga. Today I went for a three hour hike near Lake Motosuko with my friends V and J. Here are a few pictures.

Come for a walk?

Some lovely twisty old pines.

It was a nice trail, a bit steep in places. We went slowly because V is 7 months pregnant.

Lovely Lake Motosuko.

Like all volcanic lakes 700 meters above sea level, this one has it's own yellow submarine.

I'm pretty sure these are Magic Mushrooms but I'm too scared to pick them.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just beautiful Norachan Norachan :) That woodland trail reminds me of some of the trails round here. Japanese signposts are so much prettier though...and of course, we don't have volcanic lakes and yellow submarines round here :lol3:

I'll be walking the dogs later. Won't be very long because 1 - Pixie can't sustain it and 2 - I don't walk dogs through fields of cows.

Might walk up to town later too...depends on how I feel.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pics are fantastic Norachan. Thankyou.:clap:

Everyone is going strong.
I did my back and triceps today.

Keep up the good work :clap:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice pictures
I so want to go wander aimlessly around a nature area like that  now
There aren't any places nearby (i.e. within public transportation access), though
The closest thing I have is the local bike / walking / jogging path that runs along the river but at least the particular section near me is pretty wooded and quiet.

Halfway through the walk challenge
I'm averaging close to 20,000 steps

I haven't gone to the fitness center since Monday
I am going later today, though. Speaking of which, when I was there on Monday a woman came in to exercise and she was grunting and groaning and loudly exhaling the entire time
And then she loudly talked on her phone for awhile. It was so annoying. Is there any sort of general fitness center etiquette?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 hour of bicycling.

Somehow today heart rate was much lower than what it has been earlier, I verified with blood pressure monitor and heart rate monitor shows correct readings, however I was puffing even at 140bpm which normally does not feel much different from 120.

Maximum was 160, I didn't push very hard for long time, but few minutes at max up the hill, also heart rate did drop back to 100 very fast and after 122bpm average heart rate for an hour it got back to below 70 in few minutes.

HRM says I burned 748kcal in one hour, it is quite a lot considering I did not push very hard, but then again I have lot of weight to move around.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
How beautiful, Norachan! I love the lake. Walking through the forest must be so relaxing for you. Love the mushroom! Gorgeous pictures!

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How come ground is so empty in those forest pics that Norachan posted?

Here forest floor has a lot more undergrowth, also it looks like those areas are perfect for mountain biking, here boots are needed because feet will sink into forest floor so much and there will be water in shoe.

I envy a bit of you having such great forests to have a hike.

Yesterday I did use scythe for about an hour, I cut tall grass next to house and also little here and there, path to forest has disappeared, there is now over 1 meter long grass and who knows what those all plants are, with scythe it is bit annoying to cut as there is always some harder branches, but I made little way towards forest.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Walked into and around town. Probably 40mins in total. Now I'm exhausted and hurting :( At least I got some activity in today though.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to go bicycling today, but after I finished running all the errands I found myself to be shaking and just had to head bead to comfort of solitude, there was way too much crowds in shops today for my rather limited tolerance level.

Instead I did some reading about recovery after workout. 1-2 day after each session was quoted by one study, it was about strength training thought, not endurance training which I'm doing, but what I have gathered 24 hours might not be enough and that would lead maximum number of workouts being quite low for a week.

Intensity of workout probably matters something too, 50-70% of maximum heart rate for hour or less, perhaps does not need as much of recovery as doing 90% for 2 hours.

Doing two workouts without resting day between them, seem to cause me to go into overload, performance is then quite reduced.

Maybe I try to follow 2 days rest after workout day -rule.

I did also place order on new very cheap HRM which should beep, maybe that helps me keep training under limits.

One thing I still need to find out is how to deal with steep hills, do I need to keep my heart rate below set limit all time, I think some time earlier I read something like that.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The weather was really bad for 2 days after my long walk. I stayed home and did an hour of yoga on Friday and walked for an hour in the rain yesterday. Today the sun is out again. I'm going to go for a walk after I finish work this afternoon.

I really hope the summer is here for real this time.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been mostly reading up of how to estimate fitness level, building spreadsheets to estimate nutrition and some estimations of physical shape.

It was raining whole day, now there is +6C outside, but then again it is night and I should be sleeping already.

I did build some plan what to eat and how to workout for next week, depends bit if it rains or not, but I really need to start getting some results, during last 12 months I have got more setback than gain.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been mostly reading up of how to estimate fitness level, building spreadsheets to estimate nutrition and some estimations of physical shape.

It was raining whole day, now there is +6C outside, but then again it is night and I should be sleeping already.

I did build some plan what to eat and how to workout for next week, depends bit if it rains or not, but I really need to start getting some results, during last 12 months I have got more setback than gain.
I know how you feel. I should look like a super model with all the exercise I do and all the care I take of my diet, but nothing ever seems to change.

An hour of yoga out on the deck this morning. At least it's nice being outside in the sun.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
20 mins walk home from town. Hoping to have a riding lesson later, but I'm not feeling great :sigh: We shall see...

Keep going everyone :hyper: You all both put me yo shame and inspire me to keep fighting.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Halfway into the walk challenge
I'm still dong good, at least 20,000 steps daily. The team average is 15,723 which isn't bad

Went to the fitness center just before 7am this morning and got a little over 2.5 miles done on the treadmill
It was so hot and sticky outside when I left the fitness center
I did have to go back outside to go to the supermarket (fortunately right across the street) but I'm staying inside for the rest of the day.

And I somehow reset my pedometer again
It was over 9,000 when I got back from the supermarket. Now it says 355 
No idea what I did this time that might have pushed the rest button.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I should look like a super model with all the exercise I do and all the care I take of my diet, but nothing ever seems to change.

:sigh:

An hour of yoga out on the deck this morning. At least it's nice being outside in the sun.
It is much more difficult for you to get results, for me it should be easy because of testosterone, but I'm not sticking to my schedules and lists too well, I should not even complain considering how much more difficult it is for so many others to get results, but weak mind and all that :D

I did 3 hours of bicycling on soft gravel roads, 35km of distance.

This time I was attempting to keep my heart rate at 110 as well as possible as that should be best fat burning zone for me. I should of taken something to drink with me, after bit over 2 hours I started to feel dehydrated quite badly and my legs refused to operate, I had to slow to crawl as heart rate started to climb.

Maybe something with carbon hydrates might of worked.

There is road construction work where I came back home and some, clearly not local, was speeding quite a lot, his big SUV threw good amount of small stone to me, hopefully he blew a tire, that would be karma to him!

I'm trying to utilize after workout fat burning, I read that one needs to take some carbon hydrates after workout as that would be needed in order to burn fat.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We walked to the park this morning and played. It's really hot out so between pushing the stroller, carrying my 20 pound son around and chasing the kids, I got an ok workout. We will go back later and to the splash pad. It was nap time so we had to come home.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been exercising but not do good at posting :anon:
I am having a 'de- load' week. I am only hitting each muscle group twice for the week and only doing one exercise for each muscle group. So eeeasy!!! NOT :D
Today I did squats. 30 reps/ 45 sec rest/ 20 reps/ 45 sec rest/ 15 reps then 2 min rest and repeat. I also did bar curls for my biceps. I then came to watch my children at swim lessons and sat on cold concrete bleachers. Oh my goodness my glutes.:lol3: I considered dangling my bootie in the pool :lol3:
Exercise for your enjoyment, exercise for your health
and most importantly for your baby cats. Who else is going to scoop that litter tray as well as you do?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
An hour of yoga this morning. It's been so hot today, all I want to do is find a shady spot and sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.