The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Motivation that has always been a problem for me and hubby
  But recently we joined a no judgment type of gym cause they have comfy recumbent bikes I can use while powering/charging my own Ipad lol!! I like their dance classes too! Normally it is all about aerobics but this place literally has a fun dance class twice a week
 That and the fact that about the main room entrance it says "Judgment free zone" Made me smile!
I need to make use of my free access to the fitness center at the apartment complex next door. Any tips on how to get started without injuring myself? I'm somewhat familiar with treadmills and excercise bikes since I had to use those as part of my physical therapy sessions last year. The fitness center also has elliptical machines, various weigh training things, a yoga studio area, and probably a few other things. I've only peeked in there.

I'ven been thinking of doing yoga but classes are so expensive around here 
The different types of yoga makes my head spin. Is there a specific one for beginners?

A measly 4,100 stesp so far today
It was cold and rainy so not great for dong much of anything.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did some weight training when I was doing martial arts.  I had someone help me get started with it.  It's easier to do it right with the machines versus free weights.  You want to do everything with slow deliberate movement, you don't want to use momentum to lift the weight that defeats the purpose.  Normally you will do sets of 10 or 12 and don't try to start with a lot of weight.  If you are beginning to feel it half way through the set and you are pushing it a little to get those last couple of reps in then you are at a good weight.  I would do 3 sets of each exercise.  The building actually comes with the rest period between sessions.  You want at least 48 hours between sessions.  You can either split things up, work out several days in a row but do different muscles each time or work out with weights no more than every other day.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I've only ever done a handful of yoga classes. I mostly use dvds and (more recently) YouTube videos, and sometimes books too. I think it's a good idea to do the occasional class - especially when you're a beginner - just to.make sure you're doing the poses correctly. Having said that, I did yoga for years before having the courage to set foot in a class. So long as you pick a beginners class, you should be fine. Having said that, Ashtanga yoga is best left until you have a basic understanding of yoga poses, as it moves so fast and it would be easy to get lost, or even injured, if you didn't have some previous experience of yoga.

In terms of types, I would say hatha yoga is the most accessible and the most common type - its the root for a lot of different styles. Vinyasa and Ashtanga are more dynamic forms based around Hatha poses. The primary difference is that you flow from one pose to another instead of holding a single pose for a longer period. Additionally, Ashtanga is based around set sequences of poses, mostly moving with every breath.

Flow or Power yoga is generally Vinyasa or Ashtanga in form. Bikram or 'hot' yoga is simply Ashtanga done in a room heated to 40°C/105°F.

Iyengar yoga is incredibly precise. There's a big focus on absolutely correct alignment in the poses. It's great for gaining a really deep understanding of the poses, and is good for physical rehabilitation following injuries.

The form I do most is Kundalini yoga - very different. That involves lots of movement, with breath often being particularly important, and lots of mantra chanting - during movements or as a prelude to meditation. It's definitely the weirdest form of yoga I've tried, and the deepest mentally/emotionally. I have found it rather addictive though - I rarely want to do any other form now!

*end of lecture* Hope that clarifies things a bit. I'm sure Norachan Norachan will tell me if I've got anything wrong ;)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and biceps today with 1 min cardio instead of rest breaks. That got my heart rate up. I'm doing cardio again this week.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@LTS3 I've only ever done a handful of yoga classes. I mostly use dvds and (more recently) YouTube videos, and sometimes books too. I think it's a good idea to do the occasional class - especially when you're a beginner - just to.make sure you're doing the poses correctly. Having said that, I did yoga for years before having the courage to set foot in a class. So long as you pick a beginners class, you should be fine. Having said that, Ashtanga yoga is best left until you have a basic understanding of yoga poses, as it moves so fast and it would be easy to get lost, or even injured, if you didn't have some previous experience of yoga.

In terms of types, I would say hatha yoga is the most accessible and the most common type - its the root for a lot of different styles. Vinyasa and Ashtanga are more dynamic forms based around Hatha poses. The primary difference is that you flow from one pose to another instead of holding a single pose for a longer period. Additionally, Ashtanga is based around set sequences of poses, mostly moving with every breath.

Flow or Power yoga is generally Vinyasa or Ashtanga in form. Bikram or 'hot' yoga is simply Ashtanga done in a room heated to 40°C/105°F.

Iyengar yoga is incredibly precise. There's a big focus on absolutely correct alignment in the poses. It's great for gaining a really deep understanding of the poses, and is good for physical rehabilitation following injuries.

The form I do most is Kundalini yoga - very different. That involves lots of movement, with breath often being particularly important, and lots of mantra chanting - during movements or as a prelude to meditation. It's definitely the weirdest form of yoga I've tried, and the deepest mentally/emotionally. I have found it rather addictive though - I rarely want to do any other form now!

*end of lecture* Hope that clarifies things a bit. I'm sure @Norachan will tell me if I've got anything wrong
No, you've said pretty much the same as I would say. 

There isn't really any specific beginner's yoga @LTS3  but any style of yoga will have beginner's classes. Hatha is a nice gentle one to start with, it focuses a lot on breathing, rather than more challenging poses.

I like Ashtanga, it's a bit more dynamic and I like to feel like I've used my muscles a little.

Walked for an hour this morning then 1 hour of yoga this afternoon.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Finally got off my backside today - 1 hour kundalini yoga.

Norachan - if you like feeling you've used your muscles a little, definitely give kundalini a try. It's totally different to ashtanga, but can be equally strenuous. Try this and you'll see what I mean (I find the sets look deceptively easy until I try to do them lol3: ) Bear in mind that in kundalini breath of fire involves pumping the stomach strongly with each breath ;) [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fitness center is an amenity for the residents of the apartment complex so no trainer or anyone who works in there. I'm pretty much going to stick with the treadmill... on low speed
I may give the elliptical a try but it depends if my wonky foot can handle it.
@LTS3 I've only ever done a handful of yoga classes. I mostly use dvds and (more recently) YouTube videos, and sometimes books too. I think it's a good idea to do the occasional class - especially when you're a beginner - just to.make sure you're doing the poses correctly. Having said that, I did yoga for years before having the courage to set foot in a class. So long as you pick a beginners class, you should be fine. Having said that, Ashtanga yoga is best left until you have a basic understanding of yoga poses, as it moves so fast and it would be easy to get lost, or even injured, if you didn't have some previous experience of yoga.

I'm more into self-help stuff like books and YouTube and stuff, too, than taking classse. One of the drawbacks of being a complicated introvert
But I can see how a class can help a newbie get started with the basics.

There's a yoga studio right across the street from me. They offer a "Zen Yoga Basics" class: The Basics classes are focused on creating a foundation for beginner yogis. Each class is unique and conducted in a workshop-style class to allow students to ask questions, try out postures, learn and practice breathing techniques and get focused attention from the instructor. Like all of our classes, the Basics class will include a warmup, standing postures, floor series, breathing, and meditation so when you are ready to move to the flow class, you will have expereinced much of what the flow class entails. The atmosphere will allow you to learn more than just the technique of a posture. Does this sound like a good beginners class?

I'm definitely not interested in the hot yoga stuff or the ones that involve bending the body into weird shapes

Had today off from work and was basically a slug. It was a cold rainy day so I stayed inside all day
I'm doing about the same amount of steps today as yesterday
I did climb up and down both sets of emergency stairs a couple of times too. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That yoga class sounds ideal LTS3 LTS3 . You say you have a "wonky foot'. The advantage of a class is that you can tell the instructor about the problem and he/she can give you modifications to the postures as necessary to allow for it. That's something you can't every get from a dvd or book. On that note, if you did decide to go with home learning definitely go with dvds/YouTube videos over a book. It makes a tremendous difference at the start if you can actually see people moving in and out of the poses. Books (imo) are better left until you have a basic understanding of yoga.

I'm aiming for an hour of yoga again today, but my fibro's flaring again :sigh: We shall see...

:hyper: Keep going everyone - you're doing great :clap: Every little bit helps :nod:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 I too am a bit introverted. Last year I put myself right out there and started working with a personal trainer. I was petrified at first and 14 months later I stil get nervous sometimes but it's the best thing I ever did for myself. The class you are talking about sounds great. Put yourself out there. I bet you will be so glad you did.

I did cardio today. My girth is getting smaller. I hope Collies is too :lol3:
I sprinted up and down my driveway 3 times then did a min exercise alternating between burpees, standing mountain climbers, ladders, star jumps and squat thrusts. Sprints, 1 min exercise x 20 mins.
I had a delivery of bare rooted roses arrive today. I've got 24 roses to plant. That's some exercise right there :clap:

Keep going everybody :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds like a great class to start with @LTS3

I walked for an hour again today. I was planning to do yoga, but one of my cats managed to dig his way out of the enclosure so I spent my time filling in and blocking off his tunnel (10 minutes) coaxing him back into the house (Nearly an hour) and cleaning up the pile of chopped lizard he puked up as soon as he got in. (Another 10 minutes)

That's a slight improvement on the last time he got out, he was gone for the day then.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm up to  nearly 13,000 steps now. Not as great as last week 
but today was another cold rainy day so I took the bus all the way back home instead of walking for those 4,000 or so steps. Team average today is down slightly, maybe because of my lack of steps from the past 2 days

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my triceps and abs this morning. Instead of rest breaks I did cardio. I also managed to dig 7 holes for roses, moved a rose, moved a delphinium and 2 russel lupins oh and weeded.
I'm off to train with Rohan this afternoon. Shoulders and back with him. Then I have to plant the 7 roses.
Busy girl I am and lm loving it. :clap:

Go people Go!!! :sheep:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammat - you amaze me. You're definitely the energizer bunny in the group ;)

Yoga just didn't happen yesterday :sigh: I clearly pushed too hard too soon for the fibro. Plus, I got sidetracked by a project I'm working on for someone.

Had a riding lesson today :D :banana1: Collie was good-ish, but I had her in the snaffle so she was trying it on a bit. It's funny how just wearing the Pelham makes her behave better...its like she's thinking "dammit, I can't get away with things in this" :lol3: It's the same when I use her dually instead of a normal headcollar :rolleyes: Never mind. At least it works...

Keep going everyone :hyper:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
28 mins of tabata tonight. It's been a cold dull and dreary day here today so I exercised inside the warm house.
I got an hour or so in the garden too. Planted 3 standard roses and moved lots of columbines. I thought of you Columbine :D I take it as a real compliment to be called an energiser bunny :lol3:. Thanks. It's people such as yourself that motivate me to keep going though. If you can push yourself with health issues then I have no excuses do I.
No excuses in please :lol3:
Keep up the good work everybody :clap: we are all doing great :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't been here for a few days, but I have been keeping active. An hour of yoga and an hour of walking yesterday, 45 minutes cycling and a lot of cleaning today.

Hoping I can make more time for yoga tomorrow. You're right @Tammat  No Excuses!!!!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw on the TV this morning a 92 year old woman from America finished a full marathon. She said if she's still here next year she'll do it again.
How is that for motivation!!!! :woohoo:

Just do it

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw that too Tammat. It's either motivating or humbling...not sure which :lol3:

Day off today - I meant to do some yoga, but got sidetracked again (same project as the other day). Not feeling great anyway. Am thinking about doing alternate days for a bit until my fibro settles down a bit. Definitely doing yoga tomorrow *determined to get on board with no excuses somehow ;) *

Tammat - thanks for the compliment. I find it odd that anyone could find little old me motivating! :blush: You all keep me motivated too...especially at times like this.

Keep going everyone. You're all doing great :clap:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw on the TV this morning a 92 year old woman from America finished a full marathon. She said if she's still here next year she'll do it again.
How is that for motivation!!!!

Just do it
I thought she was awesome! And she was a gorgeous 92-year old!

Haven't been here, but have been doing something.

Monday: 3.5 miles (treadmill)

Tuesday: 3 miles (walking)

Wednesday: 3.5 miles (treadmill)

Thursday: 3.5 miles (treadmill) and 3.25 miles (walking)

Friday: 3.5 miles (treadmill)

Keep going, everybody!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a rest day yesterday. :sleep2:

This morning I did 20 mins of cardio. Sprints up and down my driveway x 4 then 1 min exercise. I then went for a walk for 20 mins. It was a nice sunny day and I haven't been for a walk for ages. It was really lovely.
This afternoon I planted 16 roses and emptied a trailer load of mulch. I love gardening. :D

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On Friday I beat my previous best step score
Previous was 20,449. On Friday I did 20,671
I just got over 10,000 steps at work (it was a light day) so I got off the bus in town and walked the 2 miles home and then I went for a walk around the complex a few times after dinner. Now this coming weekend I have to beat Friday's steps beause it's the first mini challenge for the global walk challenge I'm participating in.

I'm still looking into yoga class. I know there are a couple of other yoga places around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.