The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work people :clap:

I did my shoulders with Rohan on Friday. Learnt a few more tips on technique and he changed my programmers bit to help build them up.
I was going to do my back frid evening but I decided to just leave it. I feel like a cheat but I rarely skip training so I'm telling myself it's ok.
Today I'm resting it's saturday. It's been cold and rainy so a good excuse to lay around and not do much ;)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having "issues" with motivation. I start the week out OK with my walking, but then die out usually on Thursday. Part of the problem is the weather. I am sick and tired of walking in 25-mph winds. And the snow showers are wearing thin; it's the end of April, for crying out loud. I am tired of dealing with 30 and 40-degree temperatures and walking with gloves. It's just ridiculous. We get one nice week, maybe in the 60s or so, and then we're back to the 40s. This week was pathetic, just pathetic. Between the rain and t-storms and then the snow showers. I froze on my walk on Wednesday and that was with a turtleneck and sweatshirt. And gloves. And Thursday when it was so windy and chilly, I just said, "Nope, not going there." And yesterday, too. 

And I could go down on the treadmill. I did manage it twice this week. But honestly, the motivation just isn't there anymore. I don't know how to deal with it and what to do about it. I'm just tired.....period.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I'm having "issues" with motivation. I start the week out OK with my walking, but then die out usually on Thursday. Part of the problem is the weather. I am sick and tired of walking in 25-mph winds. And the snow showers are wearing thin; it's the end of April, for crying out loud. I am tired of dealing with 30 and 40-degree temperatures and walking with gloves. It's just ridiculous. We get one nice week, maybe in the 60s or so, and then we're back to the 40s. This week was pathetic, just pathetic. Between the rain and t-storms and then the snow showers. I froze on my walk on Wednesday and that was with a turtleneck and sweatshirt. And gloves. And Thursday when it was so windy and chilly, I just said, "Nope, not going there." And yesterday, too. 

And I could go down on the treadmill. I did manage it twice this week. But honestly, the motivation just isn't there anymore. I don't know how to deal with it and what to do about it. I'm just tired.....period.
That would put me off too.

Is there any warm, indoor exercise that you could do at the end of the week when you get tired of walking? Sometimes just getting involved in something new spurs you on again. Swimming or circuit training or yoga?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick has said that I need to get back to my weight training and I agree with him...it has been months since I even tried anything anymore. He said he'd go downstairs with me as he needs to get back into something as well. But it's not happening and I don't see anything happening in the near future. I always liked training with him because he pushed me a bit. I could go downstairs and use the Bowflex by myself. Again, I keep coming up with all these excuses.

Mostly it's trying to get back into being motivated enough to continue. This past winter just kicked me in the gut. I keep telling myself that if I can just do it for about three weeks or so, no matter what, just do it, it might become enough of a habit that I could continue. I don't know what's wrong with me. 

I'm sorry. Truly I am. I'm not trying to be this huge Debbie-Downer for all of you. I just need to get my butt in gear again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: @Winchester I know how you feel. I'm having the same motivation issues that you are...excuses are all too easy to make. I can't imagine how awful still having snow and freezing weather must feel. Another kick in the teeth on top of everything else, I should think.

Keep doing what you can, and don't beat yourself up when you can't. I hope it gets easier soon :vibes:

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's ok to have a rest Pam. Sometimes our bodies need it. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Heck. Think of all those miles that you have walked in terrible conditions. You are amazing!!!! :clap:
I did my legs today. I was all dressed. Had everything ready and then procrastinated. And you know what I did? Scrubbed 2 litter boxes!!!! I smiled to myself and thought of all you guys :lol3:. You'd think I could pick a better diversion!!!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and biceps this morning then abs and triceps this afternoon. I am tired tonight. Me and the cats will be in bed early tonight :sleep2:

Keep up the good work everybody :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I've been having an adventure.

On Saturday night a big tree came down, only just missing my neighbours house. A few of the branches came over our fence and when I woke up on Sunday 5 of our cats had managed to climb out. I managed to pick Toby up straight away, Heidi and Susy came back after half an hour but Albert and Jiro galloped off into the woods.

I saw Jiro at about noon with a dead bird in his mouth but he wouldn't let me catch him. 

A load of guys from the forestry commission turned up with chainsaws and a truck to move the tree, so I waited until it was quiet again before I went out to look for them. Walked around for an hour at 5 pm, another hour at about 9 pm, got up at 4..30 this morning to look again, then another long hunt at around 10 am,.

So that's about four hours of wandering around the woods, crawling under people's decks, poking around in wood piles and getting scratched by brambles.

They eventually sauntered up at about 4 this afternoon. They've both lost their collars but they seem fine apart from that. 

Now that they've had a taste of freedom they're both sitting by the front door demanding to be let out again. Bad kitties!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness. What a nightmare. You must've been so worried until they all came home. So glad they're all back safe and sound.

Think I'm going to go and ride today. Madam hasn't been ridden since I was last on her (my instructor usually rides when I'm not up to it, but she's in America at the moment) , so it should be interesting - more so since she's in season and the spring grass is coming through. I predict lots of silliness :jump: :lol3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh my goodness. What a nightmare. You must've been so worried until they all came home. So glad they're all back safe and sound.

Think I'm going to go and ride today. Madam hasn't been ridden since I was last on her (my instructor usually rides when I'm not up to it, but she's in America at the moment) , so it should be interesting - more so since she's in season and the spring grass is coming through. I predict lots of silliness
I was actually quite tearful when I saw them both again, but I put that down to the fact that I'd been awake for 12 hours and hadn't had anything to eat. 

Hold on tight! I bet that pony is going to be quite a handful today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, I'm so happy that your kids found their way back! I would have been scared to death, too.

JTbo, hope that migraine is better now. 

Good work Tammat! Keep it up!

4 miles on the treadmill today.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 miles on the treadmill :clap: I knew you would be back asap!!! Good work Winchester.

How was the pony ride Columbine? Do horses come in heat? So to speak? I guess they must I just never thought about it. That will be good exercise staying on!! :lol3:

Oh Norachan. That must have been awfully worrying to you. Thank goodness all your babies are home and safe now.

When did I last post? Yesterday I had an enormous day. I did chest and biceps. I put some weights up too. Then later in the day I did abs( I've been a bit slack on abs) and triceps. I put the weight up on my triceps too. Today I'm tired and achey. I'm about to have a sleep with Neffie ( she had vacc this morning) and then I'll do my shoulders and back.
Work hard everybody.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Collie was a stroppy cow yesterday :rolleyes: She started full of herself but did some lovely work, then decided she'd 'used up all her good' and slammed the brakes on. Not like her at all, and I was worried her seasonal asthma was threatening to resurface so I gave up. On reflection, I think she was just objecting to sharing the school with another horse :stomp: :lol:

Yes, horses come into heat. Whilst castration is commonplace for the boys , mares aren't spayed as it's just too big an operation to put a hose through. Generally speaking, vets try to avoid doing any surgery that can't be done under a local anaesthetic with horses...their size makes anesthesia really risky.

I might try again with my little monster today, but sciatic pain is bad this morning (a hint that my spine is out of line again :sigh: ). I may decide that yoga is a safer bet.

As usual, just reading about your workouts makes me tired Tammat :worship:

Winchester - :clap: Great that you're managing to keep going. Hope the snow goes soon.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I see that I posted the same workout twice :lol3: yep just trying to get in a few extra points I am.
I did do my shoulders and back this afternoon after a sleep. I'm still very exhausted. Early night again for me.
That's interesting about horses. I never thought about them and surgery. Collie is lucky to have a Mummy that loves her so much.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did some reading about horse riding. It's fabulous exercise. Any wonder I was so bad at it. I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I think we all need to go,out and get ourselves a pony ;)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning

3.5 miles walked during lunch

We are to get up to about 67 today. Not a lot of sun, but I'll take a 67! The daffodils are almost finished; the cold put an end to them rather quickly this year. The weeping cherries are in bloom, really pretty. Our hosta has shot up in the past few days! Hopefully it will be a nice week.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Collie is lucky to have a Mummy that loves her so much.
Aww, thanks Tammat. I don't feel like a very good mummy to her these days (not able to be with her a lot of the time due to my probs). Yeah, riding is good exercise - especially the way I ride. It's a system based on Classical horsemanship called Enlightened Equetation. Basically it's about using your seat as much as possible to communicate with the horse...In theory it should be possible to ride without a bridle and still ride a good dressage test or go round a course of jumps in perfect control. What that means is I'm constantly making micro corrections -mostly with my bum, hips and thighs, but the whole body does get used. Collie will halt just from me breathing out strongly, and turn just from my hips/pelvis shifting position...when she's listening, that is :lol3: Mind you, however good a workout riding her is,it's not a patch on chasing her round the field when she decides the spring grass is too yummy to leave!

Sorry...back to business:-

1 hour yoga today - a very strong set (not sure if I'll be able to move tomorrow :lol: ). At least it's left me straighter again.

Hope you get some decent weather this week Winchester Winchester . You definitely deserve some.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done Winchester. You are back in a big way!!!! Hope the weather holds up.
I love having a horse rider in our exercise thread. IThink I'm turning into a crazy animal lady. I want more cats- of course, and a dog and a pony. :lol3:

I just did a really mean leg work out with Rohan. Yikes. I was supposed to do a cardio week next week but because I've been making good progress I'm going to continue on the weights next week.

Keep going everybody :clap:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tammat tammat Believe me, you don't want a pony. They're far more work (and expense, when things go wrong) than you can imagine ;)

Winchester Winchester Great that you're managing to get some motivation back :clap:

20 min walk (steep hills) into town to do some shopping for Asha. As predicted, I'm very sore after yesterday, so I'm going to go easy today. Just that walk exhausted me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.