The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a rest day (again :( ) yesterday due to a fever all day. I want to get back on track today but I'm not sure if I should. Muscle spams have sent me running for valium (as a muscle relaxant) and tramadol (for the pain).

Yoga on that combination could get interesting...;) :lol:
I don't think it is good to do exercising right after fever or when using painkillers, better rest when rest is needed, but then again I'm not a doctor.

Do you know about these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_ball

Some exercises might be easier to do using such ball, so that even on bad day there could be chance to do something. Often at beginning it is more important to get enjoyment from doing rather than working out hard.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
jtbo jtbo I used to be with you about not exercising on painkillers, but these days it's often my only option! My gp said that, as it's not like an injury that will heal or worsen I'm better to keep going if I can.

The most interesting (or risky :lol: ) is horse riding while drugged up. It's just something I've had to adjust to.

The exercise ball looks interesting. Thanks for the tip :) I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into the style of yoga I do. I could see the pony playing 'hoofball' with it though :lol3:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well...I managed to do 45 mins of yoga. I took things more gently than usual, but I managed it :D

I always feel so much better when I stop making excuses and just do it - drugs or no drugs. I'm hoping I'll be able to sustain it this time...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The most interesting (or risky
) is horse riding while drugged up. It's just something I've had to adjust to.

I'm with you. I remember how we used to ride our ponies to the pub on a Sunday afternoon, have a pint and then ride home again. Someone always fell off on the way back. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I remember pub rides too. They were always one of the more entertaining rides out ;)

I've been meaning to ask you - do you do yoga by yourself, with a dvd or in a class? Just curious :)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I managed only 6 hours non stop, but it was kind of productive day as I managed to build quite nice pile of logs.

Now I need to do laundry and then dinner, first I need to fetch firewood to warm water for laundry as I don't use machine now, washing laundry by hand is kind of workout too.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
30 - 40 mins of yoga (didn't time it exactly). It's a fight to keep going, but so far I'm winning - at least partially anyway :D

For some reason (put it down to heavy meds stopping me thinking straight ;) ) I did it in Asha's room. You've never seen such a confused and puzzled cat in your life :lol3: I think she liked the energy I put out when I'm doing it though, and she loved the chanting and meditation at the finish! :) :rub:

Btw, I don't count chanting /meditation as part of the exercise time, just in case anyone was wondering ;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Here is nice motivator, according to that I did increase length of my life about a week during last week, however I really doubt it would be quite that simple, but it is nice to think like that

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2013/03/minutes-exercise-longer-life
If that's true JTbo I think you're going to live to be 100. 

@Columbine  I used to go to yoga classes. I spent a year backpacking around India and went to different classes in all the places I stayed. I used to go to a really nice yoga gym when I lived in the city, but I'm in the middle of nowhere now and there aren't any classes around here.

I have lots of yoga books and I have a routine that I try to stick to. I try and learn two new poses every year. I find the tutorials on youtube really helpful. I just type in the name of the asana I'm interested in and watch different people doing their variations of it.

I always try and put all of the cats out of the room when I'm doing yoga as they think the mat is the best scratching board ever and it's already quite shredded in places.

90 minutes yoga and 90 minutes walk today.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan That year in India sounds amazing . I do some self practice, but most often I do dvds - Kundalini is all based around specific timings and I find dvds simpler than constantly resetting a timer ;)

I use a sheepskin on top of a yoga mat (very hard floors)for practice and the animals all love it. When Leah was a puppy I'd be doing (for example) ashtanga version of sun salutation - I'd go to move out of down dog and find a puppy underneath me! :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
3.25 miles walked during lunch today. I would have gotten more but I stopped to watch two flocks of geese flying north. I heard them honking to each other. So pretty. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did lift different size wood for 6 hours today, right leg was not working properly, bit hard to walk as there was quite lot of muscle pain, it really does not feel like if it would help to live longer, feels like opposite would be true, but I can tell it does something, at least I feel like being hit by a truck, repeatedly :D

I have to keep rest day at end of the week as I need to repair my scooter, if I manage to order the parts that is long overdue.

I'm amazed of how you can do those Yoga routines, for me those feel so much harder than this firewood making, but maybe it is how body is used to it.

Also it is amazing how fast one can build up weight and how slow it vanishes, must be sort of conspiracy :D

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did lift different size wood for 6 hours today, right leg was not working properly, bit hard to walk as there was quite lot of muscle pain, it really does not feel like if it would help to live longer, feels like opposite would be true, but I can tell it does something, at least I feel like being hit by a truck, repeatedly :D

I have to keep rest day at end of the week as I need to repair my scooter, if I manage to order the parts that is long overdue.

I'm amazed of how you can do those Yoga routines, for me those feel so much harder than this firewood making, but maybe it is how body is used to it.

Also it is amazing how fast one can build up weight and how slow it vanishes, must be sort of conspiracy :D
Hope your leg feels better soon :hugs: :vibes:

Being hit by a truck repeatedly is how I feel when my pony throws me! (She won't wear a normal saddle, and she's so round - breed, not fat - that the slightest shift in balance can send her saddle sliding under her belly :rotate: :lol3:)

I guess I find yoga easier because I've been doing it on and off for 12 years or so. I think it's just a question of what your body's used to :)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I did 5 hours of the same as yesterday, there were no more wood, so I have to return to wood felling and cutting at coming days.

Today was lot better already, so I guess body is starting to get better.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday I did chest and biceps with Rohan in the morning and then my back at home in the afternoon. That's a big day but it got me ahead for Tuesday. Tuesday I did triceps and shoulders. Today is Wednesday. I woke up feeling fantastic and about 12pm I got a terrible pain in the tummy. I've been getting a bit of tummy ache and I think it might be milk? I've been drinking a bit for the protein. I had a rest and it's settled down now but I had to miss training. I just couldn't do it.
Good work everybody. Keep going. :clap:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a rest day today, really needed it, but I did some walking on top of snow as it was still supporting my weight, we had +9C which was really a lot considering snow did not go soft.

We (me and cats) did walk to nearby forest and behind the forest is large opening, only tiger walked to opening but then he turned and ran back, scary open field :D

It was less than 1km of walking, so can't really count that, but it was fun especially when cats decided to join.

Tomorrow I try to move some branches and pile some more wood.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been doing a lot of clearing outside over the past two days. It's finally starting to get warmer and the snow has melted. 
 There was so much dead wood under that snow waiting to be moved, so my arms and back got a good workout.

I really need to do some yoga now, to get everything back in place after all that lifting. Just about to start my 90 minute yoga routine.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My day did not workout as planned, but that is more normal than day going according to plans.

I did walk about two miles though, also I did split logs for 30mins.

Also I put over 200kg logs into cart that had no wheels, just iron bars as a ski, I dragged that 50 meters, got good laugh when I attempted to get it going and it was like bolted to ground, I did manage to get it moving when I used my body mass momentum and all my strength, it stopped about 0.5 meters later and had to do that again.

That was quite good power workout, also found out that rusted iron on snow has lot of friction when you add bit of weight. I did remove wheels from cart thinking it is easier to move on those iron bars on snow, that did not work out too well.

Pushing car is lot easier, it has wheels :D

Had to stop log splitting as it started raining water, maybe snow will start to melt soon too.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and biceps yesterday morning and my back in the evening. There are lots of kids throwing up at the school my kids attend. My daughter was sick last night and this morning. I guess that my tummy ache was a virus. I'm back on track. I saw the back of my legs in a mirror last night as I was warming up ( jogging). Oh my goodness. It was not a good sight. [emoji]128576[/emoji] I need hamstring curls and lots of them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Decided to ride my bike down to visit some friends in the village. It was a 90 minute bike ride altogether. 30 minutes there and an hour back. That's what you get when you live on the side of a mountain. 

Status
Not open for further replies.