The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One hour of yoga in the morning and then an hour walking around the village in the evening, trying to track down all the feral cats I feed. They keep me fit. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
1 hour of yoga this morning and 2 hours of walking this afternoon.

Legs really hurting now........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been snowshoeing for exercise lately. :) Today was some major digging out downspouts. I am ready to drop. :thud: :lol3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
90 minutes of yoga. I think I over did things with my long walk in the snow, I really felt like I had some damage to repair when I was doing yoga this time.

@Winchester  do you have time to eat lunch in your lunch break or do you spend the whole time walking?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you're feeling better Norachan. 
It takes me about 45-50 minutes to walk 3.5 miles. 5-10 minutes to get undressed and dressed for walking and then another 5-10 minutes to get undressed and dressed again for work and I'm usually over an hour. I only eat a nonfat yogurt for lunch. That's it. I'll drink a bottle of water during the afternoon. So I'm usually over my 60 minutes for lunch, but really not by much. I make sure of that.

But....I'm supposed to be to work by 8:00 and I'm usually here by 7:00, simply because of those walks and all the prep time. And when Rick brings me into work when the weather is bad (like this morning), I'm here at work by 6:00. 6:10 at the latest because he has to be to work by 6:45. Oh, and I have at least one meeting pretty much every week, which can go about two hours or so and I don't get comp time for that. So the company is getting the time out of me even though I take more than an hour at lunch time. I make it up somewhere along the line. And in the summer, getting undressed and dressed again goes a lot quicker when I don't have to deal with long underwear and heavy sweatshirts and coats and the YakTrax all the other stuff that I'm wearing right now.

3.5 miles walked during lunch today. You know, it was really nice today, especially considering we had all that snow and ice last night into this morning. I think we're up around 35 degrees or so. Cloudy, but no wind. I was walking back to the office and I was thinking, "Wow, what a nice day!" and it's only about 35 F! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles walked during lunch today. It had snowed a bit this morning our temp has been dropping since dawn. Add a nice wind to that and well, it wasn't pretty. 

And I think my Yak Trax bit the dust. They kept slipping up over my snow sneakers, so they've broken somewhere along the line. I'm glad we're getting close to the end of winter. At least I hope we are!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I hope you're feeling better Norachan. 
It takes me about 45-50 minutes to walk 3.5 miles. 5-10 minutes to get undressed and dressed for walking and then another 5-10 minutes to get undressed and dressed again for work and I'm usually over an hour. I only eat a nonfat yogurt for lunch. That's it. I'll drink a bottle of water during the afternoon. So I'm usually over my 60 minutes for lunch, but really not by much. I make sure of that.

But....I'm supposed to be to work by 8:00 and I'm usually here by 7:00, simply because of those walks and all the prep time. And when Rick brings me into work when the weather is bad (like this morning), I'm here at work by 6:00. 6:10 at the latest because he has to be to work by 6:45. Oh, and I have at least one meeting pretty much every week, which can go about two hours or so and I don't get comp time for that. So the company is getting the time out of me even though I take more than an hour at lunch time. I make it up somewhere along the line. And in the summer, getting undressed and dressed again goes a lot quicker when I don't have to deal with long underwear and heavy sweatshirts and coats and the YakTrax all the other stuff that I'm wearing right now.

3.5 miles walked during lunch today. You know, it was really nice today, especially considering we had all that snow and ice last night into this morning. I think we're up around 35 degrees or so. Cloudy, but no wind. I was walking back to the office and I was thinking, "Wow, what a nice day!" and it's only about 35 F! 
Yep, it sounds like they are getting their money's worth out of you. I'm impressed that you can get through the afternoon on just a yogurt. I need a sandwich and a couple of pints of tea to keep me going.

I'm feeling much better thanks, I think walking in wet snow was much harder work than I realised. It wasn't until I got home and sat down that my legs suddenly went "Yaaah, what did you just make us do?"

I managed a 1 hour walk on Wednesday and Thursday and I'm going to do 90 minutes yoga now. It's snowing again, maybe no walk this afternoon.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snow is no problem, but slush is and it has been tons of slush everywhere recently, you can't really walk in it, you can't ride bike in it, it is so wet that you need rubber boots.

I did visit a shop with bicycle, but it took almost as long as walking in dry weather.

Managed to get scooter to run properly and it is way too easy to just ride with that :D

Soon weather will be better and I can bicycle again, but I need to restore one another scooter and sell it to get bicycle parts.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles walked during lunch today. No YakTrax and we're up to 18 F this afternoon. I can handle it because there's little in the way of wind.

Nice to "see" you, JTbo! I understand about the slush and can imagine you have tons of the stuff. 

Glad you're feeling better, Norachan. Good job!

Great work with the snowshoes, Karen!

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the snow you guys? Our weather has changed overnight to autumn/ fall. It's my fave time of the year but I do feel a bit let down by a pretty average summer. It was the coolest we have had in a decade. Better luck next year.
I haven't been posting but Im still exercising. 5 days a week. I started a new programme last week. 8 reps x 6 sets. My weights have all gone up heavier except my hamstrings. They are a weak area for me. Last Sunday I decided to move rooms around in our house to create another bedroom which we desperately needed. Wow! It's amazing. We have utilised dead space and made our whole home bigger and much better functioning. All week I have carried, pushed and pulled furniture. I've emptied cupboards, cleaned and organised. My gym was in our toy room/ office/ just a big mess room. It's now out in our shed and the messy room has become a nice and neat second living room. I best go now and try out my new gym. The neighbour is out in his yard today. He will hear me huffing and puffing ;)
Keep going everybody :clap: you are awesome

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hi Tammat! 
 I was wondering where you were. Sounds like you're getting lots of exercise just by moving rooms around. Will having your gym in the shed work during the winter? Is it heated? We could never do that here as we've been way down, deep in the freezer this winter.

But I do think we've turned a corner weather-wise. 
 Our normal temp should be the low 50s by now and we are to stay in the mid (maybe even upper) 40s pretty much all week, still below normal, but not overly so; at least we're out of those 20s. Still getting below freezing at night, but that's OK, as long as we can get some nice sunshine and some higher temps during the day. It should be nice walking weather all week.

3.5 miles walked during lunch

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The new gym sounds great @Tammat  It would be good to have a cat-free place to do yoga, as soon as they see my yoga mat they all rush over and start clawing at it. I did 90 minutes yoga this morning but they weren't happy about being shut out of the room.

I went for a really nice walk yesterday. Mr Husband and I had the day off together for the first time in ages, so we went to Hakone and walked part of the pilgrim route. About 2 hours walk altogether. Here are some photos I took along the way. The rock carvings are around 700 years old.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those carvings were made before rest of the world had any idea about Japan, also original Kyoto was still standing back then, after those days Kyoto has been destroyed at least twice if my memory serves me correctly,.

Still it is very short time for a stone, some of those trees might be as old as those carvings?

We have had lot of warm weather recently, so main roads are snow and ice free, but smaller roads have skating ring kind of ice.

I was hoping to install summer tires to bicycle, but it is still too soon, even 90% of my riding is ice free at the moment.

2 hours of bicycling today, it was very strong winds, but still warm, so I took quite slow, enjoying from the sun as there was no any clouds at all.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pics are great. I didn't realise you were in Japan Norachan. I want to visit one day. Mostly to go to the cat cafes :lol3: we actually have a cat cafe in Melbourne now. I haven't got there yet. I did my first workout in my shed today. Back, triceps and shoulders. There is a gas heater out there. It will be cold in winter but not freezing. Summer will be roasting but a fan will help. CobWeb lives in our shed. She came to visit for a little while today. She is shy so will not pester me. There was some black fur on my bench so she has been sleeping on it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys :wavey: I really need to join this thread. I've been following it for a while, and you all make me feel sooo lazy :(

I have fibromyalgia and severe muscle spasms in my back (ie..my spine gets pulled out of alignment by them at least twice a day, sometimes my pelvis is affected too. This usually results in pressure on the sciatic nerve...not fun ). I find it really hard to get going with exercise because of fear of more pain in the short term, but I know I stay righter when I do do regular exercise...I generally start with yoga, but when the weather warms up (you can add severe reynauds disease into the mix too!) I try to dog walk (when I'm not too spaced out to concentrate on what they're doing ) and ride my wonderful but strong willed exmoor. ..assuming that I'm not too dizzy to stay in balance with her :lol: .

I know...its just a load of excuses really :/ I'm just a wuss and get scared of making symptoms worse. My current aim is to re start yoga on a daily basis. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, your pictures are beautiful! The idea of seeing something like this while walking is incredible. Truly beautiful.

Tammat, that's good about the gas heater; you won't freeze to death while you're out there. 

Good job on the bike, JTbo!

Welcome, Columbine. I'm sorry about all your pain 
, but I honestly believe some kind of exercise can only be beneficial to you. Please join us whenever you can!

Keep up the good work, everybody!

3.5 miles walked today during lunch

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome Winchester. I shouldn't moan...it just gets me down when things are bad.

I know I'll be a lot better if I can get my arse in gear...I just need a kick to get started :lol: Hopefully this thread will be the motivation I need.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for all the nice comments about the pictures.

Welcome aboard Columbine. What kind of yoga do you do? I do Ashtanga at the moment but I've been to Iyengar and Hot Yoga classes before. I'd love to see some pictures of your pony. I grew up in the UK and did a lot of horse riding there. I ride native Japanese ponies now. The Hokkaido and Nagano ponies are a lot like native British ponies, tough little things who can stay out all winter.

2 hours walk today. The snow is starting to melt! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Those Japanese ponies sound fantastic! My pony *can* stay out all winter, but ever since I sent her to live wild for the winter as a 2/3 year old (I got her as a yearling and she'd been over handled. I sent her away to learn how to be a pony! Shes 10 now, btw,and feisty as ever) believes in stables with a passion! She kicks off if other owners try to bring in their horses before her, and sometimes won't let them out of the field :lol:

She was about 5 when I took this pic.Edit - I'm not mean with her bedding...she has rubber matting in her stable!

I used to do ashtanga yoga, but then I discovered Kundalini yoga and got hooked. It's totally different to other forms of yoga...lots of chanting and meditation built into it as well as the physical stuff. Before fibro I used to do 2 hrs a day, as well as looking after my (then...sadly lost my last TB a few years ago) two horses and dog walking. I still get frustrated that I can't do all that now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.