The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did outside yard work for about an hour (which I hope counts as a bit of exercise), and 32 minutes on my exercise bicycle - session 2 for the week.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wishing you good luck Peaches. You're doing amazing! It would be a shame if you can't fit runs in. Fingers crossed.
Good work Karen. Take it easy Pam you will be back up there in no time.
And yard work counts for sure Pat. It totally wears me out so I count it ;)
Go people go!!!
I did No more trouble zones today and I'm still without my car so I'm walking everywhere. I also enquired at a gym today SHOCK HORRROR!! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with gyms but I prefer to exercise alone. However I would love to try working with some heavy weights and I really need a professional to help me. I'm thinking about it anyway.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Peaches, I hope you can squeeze in your work outs. Good luck. Oh yes, Pat, yard work is heavy exercise....I'm jealous that you can get outside to do yard work at this time of the year. Tammat, walking everywhere is good exercise!

As for a gym, you know, I'm not really much of a gym kind of person either. I really like being alone. People at work have asked me if I wanted to walk with them, but I like being by myself.....and it's pretty much the only time I have some time to myself during the day. I had thought about joining our local gym at the hospital when they had a "sale" going on (it was $10 to join, then $50 for three months, any amount of visits during that period). But in the end I didn't join. I've always wanted to talk with a personal trainer because I'd like to get some ideas for decent exercises for me to do. 

But I don't need a gym really....I have everything I need here at home.....except for that trainer.

1.5 miles on the elliptical so far (working on laundry and exercising at the same time)

1.5 miles on the elliptical again

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!  Thanks for the good luck everybody; I think I may have managed a fairly decent schedule with the preceptor.  Maybe I can convince myself to get up crazy early to run, but if not I'll walk those afternoons and run the other mornings.  At least it isn't consecutive days of clinical that throw off my schedule.

I ran this morning 16 + 13 = 29 min.  I drove the distance I run, it's 2.5 mi. So, 11.60 is my rate and not as bad as I originally thought.  Well, the tracker on Windows 8.1 says 11.60 but it doesn't count the 1 minute walk break.

I've been a member of 3 gyms, and 2 of them I really liked.  The 2 that I liked were small and had some people who lifted weights and it showed, and also more sedentary people trying to get some cardio in.  Everyone was very nice and saw others as just people trying to improve their lives; no competition, no shaming, etc.  Really nice folks.  The last gym I was a member of was a big gym and the cardio people were snots.  Look at the treadmill when someone else wanted it and they'd practically leap onto it screaming "MINE!"  I get being busy in life but sheesh.  And no one talked.  Or smiled at each other.  And it's the gym closest to me.  Sigh, maybe it's changed.  I hope so because this summer is going to present a problem with running.  And heaven forbid the fires start up again, then I really can't breathe.  That actually stopped my running before (swamp fires).

Anyway, I understand the "me time" perspective.  One of the things that's kept me from flipping out at school has been running.  Seriously, the quiet students in the class are flipping out on profs, etc.  I just sit there with a smile on my face.  Because running is the one thing that haven't been able to take away from me yet.  They got my money, my free time, my sanity, but this they can't take.  I'll make raw cat food at 3 am if I have to due to not having any other time to do it, but I need to run to have *something* that's just for me.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work Guys. It sounds like you are feeling better Winchester. I hope so.

I'm still without a car so I walked 25 mins and ran 40 mins. I totally understand  "me time" I get very grumpy if my exercise is interrupted. Going to a gym with people and working one on one with a trainer is totally not my thing. I dread the thought of it but I really want to try lifting heavy weights. Since Ive been using hand weights with Jillian DVDS I've seen my body change. I know it will give me the results I want but I cant do it without professional help. The trainer I spoke to said after two months tops I should be able to work out by myself. Im going to have another chat with him next week before I commit to anything.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
1 mile on the elliptical this morning (It's really all I had time for since I had to feed the cats, scoop boxes, etc.)

3.25 miles walking during lunch

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's good news, Peaches!

Pat, gardening absolutely counts. If we ever get rid of all the snow and it warms up a little I'll be doing it myself. :nod: I got my burning permit a few weeks ago and at some point need to start picking up all the sticks and downed branches.

Nice job ladies. :clap:

I used the exercise bike for 40 minutes yesterday. I am waiting for the Advil to kick in (headache) before I do anything today.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job girls.
I ran for 50 mins tonight!!! WooHoo!! I run so much better in the evening. I am still without a car so I have to walk to the lake and back. The reason I did the extra 10 mins was to save time because I was hungry and I wanted my dinner ;) yep. I love food :)

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hope that headache is much better now, Karen.

Good going, Tammat! (I completely understand the loving food thing.)

3 miles on the elliptical this morning

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job on the 50 min!  I can't hardly wait until I can do that.  Today I ran 18 + 11 min = 29 min.

Keep up the good work ladies!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.25 miles on the treadmill this morning. (I'm doing laundry, so I figured I'd try the treadmill out as it's been about two weeks since I used it. I've been pretty good about using the elliptical.)

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked 41:17 min today.  Walking is a great exercise, especially since I use my Skechers Shape Ups to walk.  They really tone my legs!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great work Girls.

I had a rest day yesterday and a bad eating day too.
  I was going to run this morning but it was raining so I did 40mins on the elliptical!!!!!
 I've beaten my nerves with that thing. I must be much fitter than when we first got it because I tried to get to 30mins back then and had to stop and nearly passed out and dry reached. It was scary and I've avoided it since.

Walked 41:17 min today.  Walking is a great exercise, especially since I use my Skechers Shape Ups to walk.  They really tone my legs!
I too think walking is great exercise I did it for years and years. I had new balance rock and tone shoes and they didn't work for me. Walking doesn't tone me. Running doesn't tone me much either. I have seen a change since using weights with the DVDS so that's why I want to try heavy weights. I think that's the answer for me. I hope its the answer for me. Not cheating on my diet would help a lot too.

Keep it up everybody. Hopefully the rest of you will start to get some gorgeous weather soon.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Peaches and Tammat, you're really going to town! I'm a little leery of the Skechers, especially so many people got hurt using them. They're like the Reeboks; I had looked at the Reeboks quite some time ago. But then started hearing about the injuries, so I never bought any.

As for the elliptical, well, I hate that thing. But I love that thing. Makes a lot of sense, yes? With me, when we first got it, my legs ached so badly whenever I tried to use it. And I just gave up. (I can't tell you how many times I'd walk by the elliptical in the bedroom and actually stick my tongue out at that thing!
 I hated it that much.)  Now, though, there are mornings when I get on the elliptical and I can just go. This morning, I was listening to my iPod, had my eyes shut, and was zoning out to music. And before I knew it, I had hit 3.25 miles and I felt like I could have just kept on pedaling. I like mornings like that, much better than the mornings where it seems to take me hours just to get one mile in. 

3.26 miles (47 minutes) on the elliptical this morning

3.27 miles (59 minutes) walking during lunch

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 19 + 10 min = 29 min today. It was raining and people were looking at me like I was nuts, lol! It helps that I have a shoe dryer.

The Skechers...I've read about the lawsuits and such. Similar to the elliptical, they force you to change how you move and how/when you use certain muscles. They work my hamstrings and the front of my lower legs more than my Mizuno's that I use for running. Weights really up the resistance though, and I'm glad I have my base from that and squats. I think I'd have hurt myself running 4-6 days a week from the very beginning if I hadn't had that base. Once I get better at running, I want to cross train with weights. That's months away though.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the plunge today! I did it. I had an interview with a personal trainer and I signed up. I start next week. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. He has given me a diet plan and then he will weigh me next week and tell me how many calories I can eat. This guy works from home. There are no big gyms or other people involved. I am happy to share any tips I learn along the way. Wish me luck. I'm having a break today but ill probably do the elliptical or run between now and Tuesday. I'm afraid my friendship with Jillian will no longer be. I will miss her.

Go! People Go!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tammat, that is way cool! I wish you the best of luck with your weights project and I hope you do great with this! Any tips, tricks, hints are much appreciated.

3.25 (59 minutes) miles on the treadmill this morning

3.26 (59 minutes) miles walking during lunch

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds awesome Tammat!  I can't wait to hear what you learn along the way!

I had a yucky day.  It was pitch black this morning and raining, and frankly I was afraid of not being able to see holes in the road or getting hit by a car so I waited until this afternoon to run. Now I remember why afternoons stink for me and running:  heartburn city!  I only rain 15:14 min before having to stop due to serious throat/chest discomfort.  Just downed some Mylanta and in a few hours I'll take my Zantac. Oh well, they can't all be super great days.

I start clinical tomorrow and this week will be particularly busy.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best on exercising.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. Heartburn would suck Peaches but you were wise not to run in the dark. 2hrs Pam!! Holy Moley! You legend. You must sleep well. I'm in awe.
I told Rohan ( PT. Jillian replacement!) that I didn't find running toned me much. He said it will tone your legs but you have to run hills. So I ate 2 pieces of toast ( carbs before exercise) an hour before I ran up and down a road with a hill for 50 mins. I swear those 2 pieces of toast made a big difference. Then I came home and ate yoghurt and berries ( protein after exercise).

Keep up the good work everybody. Go. Go. Go. And I hope you can squeeze some exercise in your busy days somewhere Peaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.