The Day of the Orange Cyclone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is showing up regularly to feed. It is kind of funny though, he makes this sound when the kittens get close, it is unlike any type of sound I have ever heard in a cat. He chatters, but not like they do when they are stalking prey, and he makes no aggressive moves? He only does it with the kittens, the other cats he pays them no mind anymore. They are all finally getting along. I wonder if it is because the kittens go everywhere in threes and he feels overwhelmed? It almost sounds like he is gritting his teeth or something, very strange.....

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thats weird. Maybe he feels intimidated by the bond they share? I bet he can pick up on that. Oh, I do hope he gets comfortable enough to start getting scritches and pets. I know he would love it if he ever opens up for it. Man, I really wanna reach through this computer and pet him *so* bad.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How odd! He must be sending some sort of message to the kittens to stay away or else you'll be dinner! I'm glad he's back and staying healthy.

jeniferm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a beautiful feral male (actually thinking he was abanded and is just wild now) that hangs around. He also made strange noises toward some kittens (that were actually his). He never bothered them at all. In fact, he would sleep with them and allow them to jump all over him. It was really neat to watch.
Hissy, I wish you lived closer to me. I'd love to watch you in action and learn. My goal is to one day get my male captured, FIXED (please, I can't handle anymore kittens and yes we are working on the feral momma.), and allow me to pet him. I was only able to pet him once, and that was the beginning of summer when he first started hanging around, but his fur is so soft I just want to cuddle him.

jeniferm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
I'm trying to get a trap so I can start now. I have an appointment for him the 19th, so fingers crossed!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Jennifer, I appreciate the compliment. But you would likely become quite bored watching me work. Mike likes to say I look like I am moving in slow motion when I work with the new ferals.
It is a lot of sitting and squatting and breathing slow and just having a great deal of patience before that first initial contact. This morning Cy showed up for feeding, and on the agenda was to worm him and to put flea treatment on him. One hour and 45 minutes later, I was finally able to say both had been done to him, all my fingers were intact and he wasn't even the slighest bit disturbed. But it took a long time to get it done so it wouldn't disturb him.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh My Goodness! I just got a phone call from a friend of ours, he and his wife just bought a 13 acre farm and they are overrun with mice. He wanted to know if I had a older mouser for them- Cyclone would be perfect! They aren't moving in for a few weeks, so I can work on getting Cy a little more socialized than he is. But I know these people really well and they love animals and are good to all of theirs. Their cat passed away last year she was 17. This is wonderful news for us, because I am still unsure of what Cyclone would do to the kittens. That rumble/rattle in his throat when they come near concerns me.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow , that would be really great and Cyclone would have his own domane . He would like that a lot since he is more a loner any way .

jeniferm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know Hissy, that "Hissy Grab" sounds like it would be fun to watch!! Sure hope Cyclone gets that new home.

What do you use for fleas? My poor kittens are covered, along with their momma, and my poor pup, who has never had a problem, is also covered.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use advantage on all my cats.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mary Anne, that is soooo exciting. Cyclone will be happy being the ruler of hjis own kingdom! Woo Hoo!!!

Jenifer, I use Advantage as well. It is a little expensive but is worth every penny of it!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This helps cut down the cost of using Advantage-

http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html

And it even lasts longer than a month on the cats to keep the fleas off. Don't use it on kittens though, never- always use the kitten advantage.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MA - what wonderful news about Cyclone! Sounds almost like heaven for him - although I'm sure he'll miss you. Hugs and scritches to Cyclone - and happy mouse hunting.

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds absolutely perfect for him MA, and you too! Please keep us updated on how it all goes down. I look like the Cheshire Cat over here. All TEETH! Cyclone is gonna be in heaven chasing those mice!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well guess who showed up this morning? Looking very pleased with himself and bringing me a female cat Cyclone appears! The female looks to be badly malnourished. She must have main coon in her as well and I fed them both and looked Cy over. (I haven't seen him since the snowstorm hit) He looks good, though he is limping but I couldn't get close enough to see what the problem is. It looks like he is favoring his front leg.

I was just so delighted to see him, and amused at how protective he is of this new feral. I hope they stick around, right now they are under the house. I put a fresh straw bed for them under there and if she stays, i will capture her and get her to the vet and get her spayed.

I will also call my friends and see if they still want him and her too- He vanished after I found out about them needing a mouser, then we got hit with that storm.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aaaaw....Cyclone has a girlfriend!

I'll bet you can get her fattened up for him real fast! Good luck catching her and then (after spaying) getting them to the barn.

Yippee!