Teddy is under quarantine.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, what they are doing is animal abuse, and you absolutely need to address the Skull and bones. That does give the image that he is a vicious, deadly animal, and because of that he might not receive the treatment he needs. Not treating a sick animal and leving him to suffer, IS ANIMAL ABUSE.
Demand treatment immediately, like for any other animal. Quarantined or not. For God's sakes, he is in there!

The same way they called Animal Control, if they don't remove that sign immediately and start treating him properly, I would get all the records from the animal control call from them, and call the Animal control on my own for two things: 1- to file a complain, as this is animal abuse, don't forget, animal control is responsible for animal abuse cases. Second, I would request a transfer for another vet.
But there is absolutely no way that I would leave my cat there on these circumstances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning. I have the medical director's phone number and I will be in contact with him. I have been so sick about this situation. It's so hard to think straight. I have anxiety issues and this situation is just spiraling out of control. I feel so helpless, but I know I must be strong for Teddy. I am his only advocate. I just feel so overwhelmed.

Thank you everyone for your support. I truly don't know what I would do with out all of you.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rianna

I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning. I have the medical director's phone number and I will be in contact with him. I have been so sick about this situation. It's so hard to think straight. I have anxiety issues and this situation is just spiraling out of control. I feel so helpless, but I know I must be strong for Teddy. I am his only advocate. I just feel so overwhelmed.

Thank you everyone for your support. I truly don't know what I would do with out all of you.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so livid right now I can barely type.

So I noticed Teddy kept going to his litter box and tried to go to the bathroom but wasn't. Silly me thought taking to the vet was a good idea. The vet tech walks in and was playing with him. He tells me that Teddy is over due a couple months for his rabies shot, but didn't recommend getting it now since he wasn't feeling well. Vet came in and said the same thing. As the vet was examining him and pressing on his bladder, Teddy stated to get agitated. He hissed and started squirming. The vet tech, while holding him down suggested a muzzle since Teddy was getting difficult. The vet ignored him. A few minutes later Teddy bit the vet tech. I saw the tech's hand and there was nothing. They brought Teddy in the back to do an ultrasound of his bladder. 20 minutes go by and then I was informed that they had called animal control because Teddy's vaccine had expired and there was the tiniest amount of blood. He has to be under quarantined for 14 days at the vet or at the pound.

My question is, if you knew Teddy was not current with his vaccination, why were you not wearing gloves, using a blanket, and/or muzzle? ESPECIALLY ONCE HE STARTED TO HISS AND GROWL!

The vet just called and offered to have a minimal to no charge for the quarantine. Honestly, I just want my cat back at home. I will never go back to this vet EVER again.

I want my baby.
In Dallas, the quarantine period is for ten days. They came and forceably removed Persi from me after he bit me under an extremely stressfull situation. I was taken to the emergency room and the Dallas animal authorities labled him as a "vicious animal" and suggested I dispose of him. Of course I never disposed of him, he is right here now with me by the computer, the cat love of my life. If anybody else ever reports him they will kill him. I do not beliee in minced words like put to sleep, they will kill him. But everybody that knows Persi knows he is a most gentle cat, friendly to everybody and greets everybody at the door.

He did also bite the vet prior to that who jammed a needle into him. The vet was wearing gloves so was not hurt but a cat will resort to its natural instincts under certain stressfull conditions. I love Persi no less. He is my one and only son. I know you feel the same way.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a horrible situation for you both

A lot of AC across the country will let you do the quarantine from your home, can you call AC and ask them if this is the case where you are, so you can go bring Teddy home?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

What a horrible situation for you both

A lot of AC across the country will let you do the quarantine from your home, can you call AC and ask them if this is the case where you are, so you can go bring Teddy home?
This is a good suggestion except Teddy is still in dire need of veterinary attention. The urinary tract problem needs to be taken care of without delay. He's already been there long enough to have received diagnosis and treatment.

All paws crossed and praying for this to all come right. I advise you to write down all your questions, including the stuff you've learned here, so you don't forget anything, you will have more control of your thoughts.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've talked to Animal Control and the Connecticut State Vet.... neither of them will let me bring Teddy home. I even had the vet recommend the home quarantine because whatever is wrong with him is made worse by stress. They won't budge. I understand the purpose of the law, but I don't feel justice is being done. The person who was actually bitten is against this quarantine. Supposedly the vet has been making more phone calls about the home quarantine... but somehow I doubt it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a nightmare. I am so sorry for you and Teddy. Many vibes to help you both through this ordeal...

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have ripped that skull and crossbones sign down when I seen it and filed a complaint right away.

I am glad that you are going to start taking action against them. I personally would stand there and not leave until the vet performed the proper steps in order to obtain a diagnosis.

Your poor baby must be so traumatized right now... I understand that you made a mistake as well as the tech who was bitten, but your cat was just being a cat... And should be treated with more respect for the beautiful animal that he is.

When I first read this thread my feelings were basically "mistakes were made and everything will be better in 2 weeks" but that's not the case anymore. This is grade A abuse to your Teddy, I would be taking lots of pictures and getting documentation of all the "work" that has been done on him so you can persue criminal charges should anything horrific happen by his mistreatment.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the life of me, I can't understand why Teddy hasn't received IV fluids so the quack (I mean the vet) can obtain a urine sample. Does everyone at the vet's facility think Teddy is truly dangerous and a health hazard to the community?! They can't treat the FLUTD (assuming that's what it is) properly unless they obtain and sample. Poor Teddy could be dealing with a UTI or FIC for all they know. Yes, the fact that he isn't blocked is good, but he also isn't producing proper amounts of urine. If he did become blocked, how are they going to deal with it if they're all afraid of him?

Rianna, I"m so sorry you and Teddy are dealing with this. I think I could handle one of my babies being imprisoned for 2 weeks if I knew there were no health issues involved. This situation is just so wrong. IMO, you need to accept the fact that Teddy is there for the duration. But, you need to be on the vet constantly about Teddy's lack of care.

Good luck, sweetie.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rianna, otto's right. I thought they'd already ruled out crystals and bacterial infection, but reading back through the thread, I see that isn't the case.

He needs to be given subcutaneous fluids so his bladder fills up and they can get a urine sample with a needle biopsy (which is the procedure otto referred to).

They can see if there are cyrstals, and they can culture it to determine if there's an infection.

If there are cyrstals, they need to determine the type - he'll need a special diet depending upon the type of crystals if present. Here is a thread with a good discussion of crystals and what needs to be done if he has them: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209993

If his FLUTD is determined to be cystitis, antibiotics sometimes work as an anti-inflammatory to help calm the wall of the bladder...but basically the resolution is stress reduction.
Some vets use amytriptaline (it is an anti-depressant that doesn't work well as an anti-depressant, but it works as an anti-inflammatory in the bladder, and it is the same drug they give to children to help them stop night time bed-wetting) - a lot of people don't like it because it turns their cats into zombies. We had to use it on Spooky for a different problem, and while she slept a lot during that first three weeks, once it was fully in her blood stream and her body adjusted to it, she became her normal playful self again. She was on it for 3-4 months, and we weaned her off of it (you do have to taper them off of it) - and she was fine after that.

But first and foremost, infection and cyrstals need to be ruled out.

...and yes, that sign needs to come down! The staff of that vet practice definitely need lessons in client sensitivity!

Many vibes for you and Teddy.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
What an awful situation for you and Teddy.

I don't have any advice about FLUTD, but lots of that your boy has a diagnosis and is home as soon as possible.

for you for staying so strong for him during this ordeal.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay strong and know we all have your back. You've gotten great advice already. We all can feel what you are feeling. Please use us for support. We are here for you.

I don't think they will take it out on Teddy if you bring up the inappropriateness re: the skull and crossbones. I think them knowing you will be there everyday and be calling everyday and be making them communicate with you about everything makes them know you are aware and watching and scrutinizing their every move so they better not make anymore foolish mistakes.

Everyone there should know who you are and whats going on and that the situation needs to be handled with great care.

Just to put your mind at ease: cats are so very resilient. Teddy will know you haven't left him by seeing you and hearing your voice. Once it is all over and he is home he will be just fine.

Any chance you can call around to other vets offices or even personally stop in and explain what is going on and see if he can be moved to a better vets? It is worth a try perhaps. If you explain as rationally as possible that you are seriously concerned re: his health regardless of the quarintine they may be able to get him transfered? Make a point to let them know that the quarintine, while it should not have happened if the situation was handled differently is something you realize must be done but you are concerned about the healthcare he is getting while under quarintine and want to know if it is an option to get him moved to a vets office that can take care of him as he should be.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got back from another Teddy visit.

I called this morning for an update on Teddy. No one called me back so I called the medical director. I explained to him my concerns and mentioned the skull and cross bones. He apologized and agreed it was unprofessional and had it taken down immediately. He recommended some pain medication be given, which I was about to suggest myself. Since the vet Teddy is at is a VCA hospital, the medical director has notified the regional northeast manager of this situation. I also mentioned that I was given a lawyer's phone number by a friend in case anything happens to Teddy under their care. He assured me that it would not have to come to it and will be personally making sure that Teddy is being taken care of.

As soon as I got off the phone with him I went to see my Teddy with my father. (who tries to be the macho guy, but is just as devastated and worried about Teddy as me, but will never admit it!) Teddy has been upgraded to a larger cage. He came right up to greet me and was talking to me, rubbing his head on the cage, and was being generally more active. This is a big improvement from yesterday where he was just lying in the litter box. He even peed a little bit in front of me. A curtain has also been but on his cage to make him more comfortable and the skull and cross bones has been removed.

I spoke with his vet and voiced all of my concerns. She apologized for how the situation has been handled. A urine test was done and came back negative for a UTI. She will be giving him something for the pain to make him more comfortable. She will also be calling me back with the name of it and the exact dose she will be administering to him.

I think they have realized that I will be the biggest pain in their ass. They now know who I am when I call and when I walk in the door. I am never rude, but they can tell I mean business. After this quarantine period is up, they will never see me or Teddy ever again. I feel a little more comfortable that more higher ups are involved and they realize that their will be severe legal consequences if the unthinkable happens.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also so happy to hear he's feeling better! Having more space and some privacy is a big improvement.

Keeping up the vibes for both of you!

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I just got back from another Teddy visit.

I called this morning for an update on Teddy. No one called me back so I called the medical director. I explained to him my concerns and mentioned the skull and cross bones. He apologized and agreed it was unprofessional and had it taken down immediately. He recommended some pain medication be given, which I was about to suggest myself. Since the vet Teddy is at is a VCA hospital, the medical director has notified the regional northeast manager of this situation. I also mentioned that I was given a lawyer's phone number by a friend in case anything happens to Teddy under their care. He assured me that it would not have to come to it and will be personally making sure that Teddy is being taken care of.

As soon as I got off the phone with him I went to see my Teddy with my father. (who tries to be the macho guy, but is just as devastated and worried about Teddy as me, but will never admit it!) Teddy has been upgraded to a larger cage. He came right up to greet me and was talking to me, rubbing his head on the cage, and was being generally more active. This is a big improvement from yesterday where he was just lying in the litter box. He even peed a little bit in front of me. A curtain has also been but on his cage to make him more comfortable and the skull and cross bones has been removed.

I spoke with his vet and voiced all of my concerns. She apologized for how the situation has been handled. A urine test was done and came back negative for a UTI. She will be giving him something for the pain to make him more comfortable. She will also be calling me back with the name of it and the exact dose she will be administering to him.

I think they have realized that I will be the biggest pain in their ass. They now know who I am when I call and when I walk in the door. I am never rude, but they can tell I mean business. After this quarantine period is up, they will never see me or Teddy ever again. I feel a little more comfortable that more higher ups are involved and they realize that their will be severe legal consequences if the unthinkable happens.
Most excellent! You go girl! And more vibes for beautiful Teddy!:vib es:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DoctorsPepper2

The vet called animal control because Teddy bit him and he saw the tiniest amount of blood? The vet was afraid he might be infected with rabies since Teddy's vaccination had expired? Am I reading it right?

Wow. I didn't think a vet would do something like that. Let's hope Teddy goes home soon!
Yes, they will, and even if your cat bites YOU and isn't up to date. I think even if they are they have to be under quarantine, but you can do it at home. My vet has been very freaked out our last two visits with Swanie because one of her patients bit his owner. She keeps telling us, watch your fingers! And that's when she told us about having to quarentine even if they are up to date. That really makes me mad!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update. I am very impressed with the way you handled things so calmly. I am still concerned about the urinary issue. He may not have a UTI (which is a bacterial infection) but something is causing him to pee too often and too little.

Even if there is no bacteria he needs his urine checked for crystals, and that usually involves sending out to a lab, unless this center has their own laboratory.

Anyway I am glad things are being handled better, and hopefully now they know you are going to be on top of things and not tolerate any more of the cr*p.

Please do keep us updated.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Thank you so much for the update. I am very impressed with the way you handled things so calmly. I am still concerned about the urinary issue. He may not have a UTI (which is a bacterial infection) but something is causing him to pee too often and too little.

Even if there is no bacteria he needs his urine checked for crystals, and that usually involves sending out to a lab, unless this center has their own laboratory.

Anyway I am glad things are being handled better, and hopefully now they know you are going to be on top of things and not tolerate any more of the cr*p.

Please do keep us updated.
He also can have cystitis, which would not necessarily indicate bacteria in the urine. Ask your vet about that...
Thank goodness this situation is getting resolved!
Someone should get fired!