Teddy is under quarantine.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That just seems sooooo wrong!

Neither of my cats are up on their vaccinations. In fact my Vet says that because my cats are exclusively indoor kitties and are not in contact with other cats or animals, and I'm not routinely around other animals where I could potentially bring something home to them, that they don't need to have any vaccinations.

Now of course if I were going to take them with me traveling, then yes, they would need vaccinations.

Abby scratched one of the techs when I had her there earlier this year to have a lump on her head looked at. They knew she wasn't up on her rabies vaccinations, but because of my cats' living situation, they didn't do anything about it other than to clean the scratch and put on a band-aid.

I can't believe your vet called animal control! I'd be absolutely livid and I would be making sure that if your cat does need to stay quarantined there that they pay the entire cost, because it sure isn't your fault!!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If my cat wasn't up to date on his rabies shot and he bit anyone I would expect animal control to quarantine my cat.

On the other hand, the vet should have taken proper safety measures.

It's a toss-up situation where two people were in the wrong and there is really no one to blame.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been in a similar situation recently. Jamie bit me the Saturday before Christmas, and infection set in within a few hours, so I had to go to the ER. When my husband called the hospital before taking me in, he was asked whose cat it was, and to bring in proof of an UTD rabies vaccination. The ER was required by law to report the bite and verify his being vaccinated. I asked what would have happened if he had been an indoor-only cat with no rabies vaccination (he goes outside on a leash, and has caught bats on our balcony, so he gets the shot), and they said he would have been quarantined and I would have had to have the shots myself, and that they'd had that scenario the week before.

I take cats other than Jamie (bad - he also bit a vet tech) to the vets, and IME it's often the cats who freak out that aren't overly restrained, because that can really make them panic.

It's a real shame that Teddy is in quarantine, but most states/countries have laws stipulating what must be done in the case of an animal bite, and they aren't arbitrary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to go visit Teddy early this afternoon. I couldn't touch him, which broke my heart. I gave him the shirt I slept in last night, a blanket, and his favorite toy. I was only there for 15 minutes and he went in his liter box 4-5 times to try to pee. A little came out the first time, but nothing the other times. Which is MUCH more frequent than yesterday. He also hasn't had a bowel movement. I asked what is being done about his condition. They replied that the the vet that saw him yesterday is off today. I've been trying to get an update over the phone, but I've been waiting almost 2 hours to hear back from anyone. I leave work in an hour and 15 minutes and I'm going straight there.

My heart is breaking. My poor baby is sick and I can't take care of him and I don't feel like they're helping him. The stress is probably making everything worse for him. I swear, if ANYTHING happens to him I will hold them all personally responsible.

Oh, and when I went there they had a sign that stated he was not up to date with his rabies and that he under quarantine. Someone had hand drawn 4 skull and cross bones on the sign. This made me so mad. I'm sorry, but if you're working at a vet, I think it's safe to assume that you're literate. Is the skull and cross bones necessary? I think it's so unprofessional.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh is that awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would SO ask to speak to the owner or manager of that vet practice and DEFINITELY let them know all of this is not OK. The skull and crossbones is so amazingly thoughtless and insensitive! Like - do they think this is a JOKE?

...and being told that the vet that saw him yesterday is not there today is NOT an answer. Is Teddy being treated for his condition or NOT? Is any relief pending?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow...the skull and bones would make me mad too

Just keep visiting him and insisting, that is the only way to make sure he is taken care of!! I hope 14 days pass quickly and the peeing issue doesn't turn into a bigger problem

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...does he have a UTI? Does he have crystals? What kind? What are they feeding him? Is he on any medication?

They don't need the vet that saw him yesterday to provide this information! Either he's being treated and it's in his records - or he's not!

PLEASE ask to talk to whoever's in charge!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be FURIOUS!
Is there anyway animal control would let Teddy be quarantined at a different vet's facility? IMO, the vet that is supposedly treating Teddy is doing a miserable job. I honestly don't know how you can deal with this. I mean, I know you have to, somehow, but the insensitivity and apparent lack of treatment for Teddy's urinary problem would have me fighting mad.
Sending loads of that this situation improves quickly.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WoW!! Shouldn't they have called you after the vet saw him, and told you what was going on? Just because he is in quarentine doesn't mean that there isn't someone worried sick about his health and his mental well being. It sounds like they have no compassion there. Poor baby having to deal with not feeling good, and being treated like a leper (you can't even touch him
.. ) I feel like they should have told you what was up as soon as they knew. The vet not being there... I just don't get how they can leave you in the dark like that.

I do hope you can get him moved to another vet, and this vet's expense!! (not like that would happen, but it would be nice!!)

I'm sooooo sorry
I hope they start doing their job and taking care of his problem.

Be safe.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for Teddy
Please keep calling them to make absolute sure that he is being treated for his UTI.... Poor baby!

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! I'm so sorry that this "comedy of errors," turned so deadly. Hopefully, someone in power with common sense comes to the rescue.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got back from visiting Teddy. I walked in there and demanded that I speak to a vet right away. I told her that I was unhappy with the way Teddy was being treated and the lack of communication I was receiving about his condition. I guess his diagnosis is Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. They've been giving him wet food and water, but Teddy hasn't been too interested in it. I brought a case of Fancy Feast that he likes to help spark his appetite. His bladder has been checked and it's not blocked, it's still very small. He had a bowel movement this afternoon, but urination is still at a minimum and not enough to do a urine test. I made it clear that anything he needs he is to get. Since I am not allowed to take care of him, I expect them to take the utmost care of him like I would be. I will be visiting him again tomorrow.

I took pictures of the skull and cross bones. I'm not saying anything now because I don't want them to take it out on Teddy while he is in their "care." However, I will be mentioning it once he is in my possession again.

There are two more on the other side, but I wanted to be discreet.

I would also like to add that there are also 3 other signs on his cage that declare his quarantine for rabies that lack the skull and cross bones. It's also highlighted in large letters on his chart that hangs from the cage. I have made it clear that I would not be held responsible if Teddy were to bite anyone else who was handling him without the proper precautions being taken... but I find it insulting that they put skulls and cross bones on my baby's cage.

...and my poor baby all locked up.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, that's a really good call about letting them know about how unhappy you are (especially about that notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!) after he's back in your care.

Poor baby! Poor Rianna! Continued for you both!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is pounding, I am so angry reading this. They are never going to get a full bladder from him if he isn't given something for pain, so he will stop trying to pee all the time.

He does that because the pain and irritation from the infection cause him to feel like he has to pee.

Until they have a sample, they can not properly diagnose him. They need to know if he is forming crystals, and what kind, because if he is, he needs to be on special food. IMMEDIATELY!

They need to know what kind of bacteria is in there, to know what kind of antibiotic he should have.

I am deeply appalled that this is happening to your poor Teddy. The skull and crossbones alone has me so furious I want to go over there and start knocking heads.

I understand your desire to not rock the boat, but I don't agree. These people need to know that you are not going to tolerate any crap.

You need to be over there kicking butts, so they will be falling all over themselves to give Teddy the loving care he deserves.

I have never heard of such unprofessionalism, not to mention such carelessness over his condition. FLUTD in a male cat is an extremely serious condition. A male can block at any time, simply from IRRITATION.

I am so angry I am shaking and will have to stop typing because my spell check cannot keep up with the errors I am making.

I would not be taking this lying down I can tell you this. This, in my opinion is completely unacceptable. completely unacceptable.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

My heart is pounding, I am so angry reading this. They are never going to get a full bladder from him if he isn't given something for pain, so he will stop trying to pee all the time.

He does that because the pain and irritation from the infection cause him to feel like he has to pee.

Until they have a sample, they can not properly diagnose him. They need to know if he is forming crystals, and what kind, because if he is, he needs to be on special food. IMMEDIATELY!

They need to know what kind of bacteria is in there, to know what kind of antibiotic he should have.

I am deeply appalled that this is happening to your poor Teddy. The skull and crossbones alone has me so furious I want to go over there and start knocking heads.

I understand your desire to not rock the boat, but I don't agree. These people need to know that you are not going to tolerate any crap.

You need to be over there kicking butts, so they will be falling all over themselves to give Teddy the loving care he deserves.

I have never heard of such unprofessionalism, not to mention such carelessness over his condition. FLUTD in a male cat is an extremely serious condition. A male can block at any time, simply from IRRITATION.

I am so angry I am shaking and will have to stop typing because my spell check cannot keep up with the errors I am making.

I would not be taking this lying down I can tell you this. This, in my opinion is completely unacceptable. completely unacceptable.
This is exactly why I am so grateful for the TCS community. Honestly, I've never heard of FLUTD. I don't know what I should be demanding. They have not run a single test on Teddy. When I ask what is being done to treat him they keep telling my that they are monitoring him and checking his bladder for blockage. What tests do I need done? What do I need to demand?

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can they not do a rabies titer test on him? It will show whether or not he still has immunity to the disease.
I only do titers on my senior animals and vaccinate as needed. The rabies titer test is quite expensive ($150), but vaccines can be very hard on the immune system.
Sorry you are being treated so poorly. I hope they get him on a prescription diet to resolve the crystals.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, based on personal experience, Teddy should have been given some sub q fluids, and leave him in the the cage for a few hours, without the litter box. When his bladder fills up a sample is taken directly from the bladder, it's called Cystocentesis.

This was done for my Mazy cat a few years ago.

They can look at some of it in a microscope right there, and usually a sample is sent to a lab, to get a more in depth study of the bacteria and crystals, if there are any, and what kind.

It's ridiculous to me to think they may be avoiding handling him, even for basic care because of a label. I understand the legal procedures have to be taken. But there isn't any reason Teddy should not be treated with the same respect and compassion as any other sick pet left at the hospital.

I think the skull and cross bones should be addressed, as it creates an attitude against Teddy, it's just not right.

But that his urinary tract issue wasn't taken care of, and he's been there, over 24 hours by now? is just inexcusable.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First and foremost - it is time to find another vet! 14 days from now, that's the first thing I'd be doing. The day you pick Teddy up, tell them to have his records ready.

Secondly, it amazes me how different things are around the country. Our semi-feral Chester bit my husband when we first brought him inside. He had been neutered and had had the first rabies shot. My husband tried too hard to catch him and Chester let him know that was unacceptable.

My husband had to go to the doctor's and get a tetunus shot and the doctor had to call the health department. All they did was send a rep to observe Chester twice, ten days apart. After he showed no signs of rabies, all was fine. He stayed on our sunporch the entire 10 days.

Hope this time goes by swiftly and Teddy isn't too traumatized.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rianna

This is exactly why I am so grateful for the TCS community. Honestly, I've never heard of FLUTD. I don't know what I should be demanding. They have not run a single test on Teddy. When I ask what is being done to treat him they keep telling my that they are monitoring him and checking his bladder for blockage. What tests do I need done? What do I need to demand?
It sounds backwards to me to wait and see if he blocks rather than diagnose and treat what's troubling him right away, before he blocks! You see him keep returning to the litter box because the pain and irritiation make him feel like he has to pee all the time. His bladder won't collect any urine because he's always squeezing a few drops out.

A dose of pain medication can ease the symptoms and make him comfortable enough so that he will build up some urine after getting the sub q fluids.

My vet always prescribes a dose of pain med to start off the treatment. It's lessens the cat's anxiety to not always be needing to run to the litter box, with no result.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I've just been thinking off, while I steamed around the room for a minute. It seems part of the problem here is you don't know who to communicate with. It's easy for everyone to pass the buck when there is no one person focusing on the case.

So I would ask who is the vet responsible for Teddy's welfare, and request a consultation. This is not about the quarantine. As far as his illness, you are a paying customer and have rights to information, and to have him in treatment.

I'll be thinking of you and Teddy, sending strong positive vibes that it will be okay for him.