TCS vibes much needed please - Smudge is missing- she's home

Status
Not open for further replies.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It wouldn't surprise me if Smudge is the cat seen by your neighbors. Carolina (?) posted a link to a site that said cats usually stay within a 5 house radius. Indeed, when Gemma went missing in May, we found that she had stayed in a 5 house area (she was across the street, in someone's backyard when we actually trapped her.)

Come home, Smudge!!!! (I had a black cat named Smudge, too!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's put a trap out and just got a message (not sure if it's the same person or someone different), saying they just saw a black cat walking across their yard, and it's the same area where the previous black cat was sighted. DH is on his way....

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

He's put a trap out and just got a message (not sure if it's the same person or someone different), saying they just saw a black cat walking across their yard, and it's the same area where the previous black cat was sighted. DH is on his way....
Here's hoping that it is Smudge!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He went out there, but saw no kitty. The person who emailed him was someone different to the one who contacted him earlier today, and is on the same street. There's definitely A black cat in that area, boy do I hope it's Smudge

He's going to head back there in a bit with a bowl of food to see if he can lure the kitty out.

Edit: no sign of any kitty

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gosh darn, I was hoping he was home by now.
Call his name from the car as you drive? That helped me when I was missing my Mittens. He poked his head out of the hiding place he was at... Well I hope Smugge can be found.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, Sarah, but I would bait the trap and let it do it's work. If that kitty is Smudge, she's probably scared half to death. It doesn't matter that it's Daddy that's out there dong the looking, she might just be too afraid to come out. I know how hard it would be if one of mine got out; I'd be crawling under bushes on my hands and knees and more than likely scaring the begeebers out of them.
Senidng many more vibes that your dear Smudge comes home soon.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

for both you and Smudge. If it's any consolation. Last time one of my babies got out of the house when I was on vacation, she was lost for over 3 weeks, and I'd just about given up all hope when one day I heard a pitiful meow, and it was her! She's taken refuge under the house next door, and even though we'd called and called her day in and day out, it took that long before she finally responded. (she never went near our front door again, once we got her safely back inside) I'm sure praying you'll have a story like that to tell soon.
This story is telling, and why the recommendations of http://www.lost-pets.org/ are important.

Originally Posted by libby74

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, Sarah, but I would bait the trap and let it do it's work. If that kitty is Smudge, she's probably scared half to death. It doesn't matter that it's Daddy that's out there dong the looking, she might just be too afraid to come out. I know how hard it would be if one of mine got out; I'd be crawling under bushes on my hands and knees and more than likely scaring the begeebers out of them.
Senidng many more vibes that your dear Smudge comes home soon.
Yes, bait the trap, but don't leave it at that. This proactive searching is exactly what needs to be done. A "posse" of friends and neighbors needs to get out with flashlights and search.

The site recommends within three house lengths, however I've seen other information that says the search area should be within three blocks. Either way, you start near home and expand out.

Sarah, I don't know if you and/or DH have read this, but basically, indoor cats that get outside may not be easily "lured," and recovering them may require a much more active approach than calling, walking around with food, or setting traps: http://www.lost-pets.org/content/view/3/1/

...Be careful who you enlist to help you find your cat. Use only the people who the cat knows. A scared or traumatized cat is not going to come to a stranger. Parking strange cars in your yard, will just cause her more confusion and she may retreat farther and farther from her home.

If you are fortunate enough to see your cat, drop down to a sitting position immediately. Do not make eye contact. Your inside only cat is on full alert mode, she is outside for perhaps the first time in her life. There are smells, and sounds that she is being bombarded with. DO NOT run toward her, sit down at an angle so she can see you, but do not approach her.

Talk to her as if she was right next to you. As hard as it is to do, keep your voice CALM adding excitement or emotion to your voice will almost guarantee that she will run from you. If she walks up to you, don't grab her until she is right next to you. Then calmly pick her up, grab her by the scruff of her neck, support her hind legs and hustle her into the house. Breathe a sigh of relief, this was an easy catch!

But what if you have walked three house lengths in all directions and you still don't see your cat? How long do you wait before you spring into action?

You don't wait. You simply can't. Her being outside exposes her every minute to dangers. If your neighbors have barking dogs, she could be huddled under the porch of a house scared to move. If you have trees on your property or near it, don't neglect looking up. Cats when they are scared and they can't find a good hidey-hole they will climb. Look on telephone poles and power poles as well as in the trees.

Grab that photograph off your fridge and start knocking on doors. Get permission from homeowners to look under porches, inside garages, sheds, inside cars or trailers. Be thorough in your search. Don't tresspass. Get permission from the owners before venturing on the property. Show the photograph especially to the kids in the house and ask them to contact you if they see her. Pass out your business card if you have to, but leave contact information at every home on the block or in the area...
There's two more pages of suggestions and ideas.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found out Smudge is missing! I am so sorry! Lots of from Maia and I for Smudge's safe return home.
Message to Smudge : Listen Smudge, you better get your little, black booty home safe and soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.