Taking Care of My Kitten

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal to have some discomfort from the injection, I believe. Human muscles can feel sore after an injection. How did you pick him up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked him up once, by the stomach, then pet him, and touched that area, since then I haven't touched him, but now he's feeling better, he's letting me touch the area without growling/pain like before.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm avoiding that area.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, thanks again for appearing on short notice!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as everything else is normal, I'd keep a close watch for the next 48-72 hours.  If he develops any other odd symptoms, get him back to the vet.  If the vaccination site is still painful after that time, get him back to the vet.  Your vet, if he is ethical, will not charge you full price (or maybe not at all) if the problem was cause by the vaccination for any reason other than an allergic type reaction.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far so good!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YAY!  Keep us posted.  I know that you will be happy when he is over all these little but scary health hiccups and both of you can relax and just enjoy each other.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the "how much to eat" question has probably been resolved by now so I'll just comment on this pic right here... AWWWWWWW!!!!! Kitty burrito! That little face, I just want to kiss it!

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! He's fine now, but I'd like to ask something about his behavior, he does this:

So, I know he's suckling, but is this a good sign or bad? Is he missing his mother or just remembering good times? What can I do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is likely doing it for comfort. You can dip a blanket he likes in some kmr and let him suck on that. Or you could get him a stuffed animal buddy.

How's he doing otherwise??

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's good otherwise! He gets his next shot on 19th of Dec.

:) Also, any ideas on how do I get him to not try to get out of the house everytime I open the door, for a guest or anything

For now, I just hiss at him, pick him up by his neck (supporting his body too) and put him somewhere else

It's working. I left the door open, he didn't even go outside, he just stood there.

Any idea on how I can get him not to bite me?

If I'm playing with his toys, he still bites my hand, and if im watching T.V and he is in playmode, he bites me very hard aswell.

For now, I've hissed at him, done the time-out thing, nothing works

Any ideas?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to redirect him, which usually means getting him to play with something else. He is biting because he's bored and wants to play. Do you have toys on a string or lasers? Don't use toys where your hands are so close to the action. Also keep doing what you're doing, but don't leave your door open to test him!

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have one of those sticks with the toy stringed to it.

But say, I'm not in the mood to play, maybe i just came back from school, and he just starts biting me furiously, what shall I do to stop that?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to figure out how to play with him even if you're tired. That's where a laser might be helpful. He has excess energy because he's a kitten and he's been alone while you're at school.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright! I'll try that and report back! G'bye!