Sunday Question of the Day, the 3rd of May, 2020

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is going to be a bit long, but there are pictures in the end! There is also some drama to be told, hence the long post. I have to set it up for the actual wedding. Otherwise, we sound like jerks.
<snipped for brevity>

Sorry. I told you it was long. This is the condensed version. I just know that when people hear that we did not invite the vast majority of our family, including his mother who he absolutely loves, we come off as sounding like horrible, monstrous, cold-hearted people.

Professional song (We entered the building at timestamp 2:40.):
Song that played when we jumped the broom (though unplanned):
Our one and only dance at the reception song:
I LOVE your wedding style!
Always inspiring to see when people step out of the box and follow their own heart and mind when getting married. Sorry for all the back story (at the time) but it all seems to have worked out.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE your wedding style!
Always inspiring to see when people step out of the box and follow their own heart and mind when getting married. Sorry for all the back story (at the time) but it all seems to have worked out.
Thank you! It did work out for the best in the end.

Most of the decor was already part of our home decor; however, I rolled a couple of thousand paper flowers from books that did not survive storage. I was on a wedding site at the time and donated them to another couple with a limited decoration budget.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never married. I used to think I wanted a big wedding with lots of planning and all that, but being that I'm the last one among my friends to not be married, I've realized that if I ever do get married, I would definitely prefer something small and inexpensive.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
DH and I used to be Civil War reenactors. I always wanted a historical wedding dress, so I made mine out of silk satin, and also appliqued lace butterflies to the cotton net veil. I based it on an 1864 dress in a museum. I hated my dress in the photos. The men wore modern garb. I had a matron of honor (made her dress, too) and a CW reenacting friend as my bridesmaid (she already had her dress). We only had fewer than 80 people at the local church (DH is Methodist; I'm nothing). DH and I catered a lot of it buffet-style, and had fancy party trays delivered, and a couple of people wanted to make stuff, so we had quite a spread, which is just what we wanted--a lovely afternoon and evening with our family and friends, with lots of food and laughter.

I was getting over the flu, so my nose kept dripping during the vows, during the Lord's Prayer. My MOH forgot to bring the Irish linen hanky I bought just for the wedding, so I had to discreetly wipe my nose on the back of my gloved hand. I had the flowers done at the fancy grocery store, and they messed them up, and cut the stems to short, making the bouquets hard to hold, and my flowers kept falling out.

I hired friends of my sister-in-law to help with the buffet. Halfway through the reception, I wondered where they were. She had let them go home! I had to clean up after my own reception! In my wedding gown. How many brides have vacuumed weraing their wedding dress? It took us at least 2 hours, and my feet were swollen. And my MOH had left early to go to a VFW dance with her then boyfriend. She's supposed to see me off, not leave me early in the evening.

We spent our wedding night in a small local inn. No romance for us, as we were both exhausted and I had a bad headache...but we heard the other Marine and his new bride above us at 2:00 A.M. "enjoying" themselves. Wonderful. The next morning, it was hard to get breakfast there. We left later for 2 days in Gettysburg in a very nice B&B.

We were married in my favorite month, October.

Side note: I did everything for my wedding, except baking the cake. When I was buying stuff in a craft store, I saw a younger woman with her mom and older sister, buying a ton of wedding items. You could tell she'd been crying. I stopped to chat with her. Her fiance had orders to be shipped to Iraq at the end of the month, so they had to plan a hasty wedding. I felt so bad for them. I made up my mind that I wouldn't let the so-called stress of planning my wedding bother me. I had it easy, compared to her. I sometimes wonder if he came back o.k. I prayed that he did.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Three flower girls! Where did you find them all?

Your bridesmaids are definitely rocking bigger sleeves than you.
That's three of my five nieces. :lol: One was only a few months old and the other not born yet.

The bridesmaid's dresses were also the trendy at the time shorter in the front than the back. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's three of my five nieces. :lol: One was only a few months old and the other not born yet.

The bridesmaid's dresses were also the trendy at the time shorter in the front than the back. :lol:
I think high-low skirts/dresses might be in again, so maybe the big sleeves will come back too!

Actually, I think they look similar to the dress my friend wore in her older brother's wedding. I think we were in junior high so maybe 1996 or 1997. The color and fabric look the same at least!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours was small - just family and not fancy. My mother and I had a fight about it and she wouldn't talk to me for weeks! My parents wanted to throw a regular wedding (flowers, music, reception etc) for us but we refused. They would have had to go into debt to do it. Bill and I felt like if we were old enough to get married we should pay for it ourselves. He bought a suit, I bought a dress and we got a minister to marry us with only family present at my church. We didn't have a reception. WE went to a local high end restaurant for dinner - just the 2 of us. For our honeymoon it was a day at Disneyworld and a day at Silver Springs in Florida, then back to work. We couldn't afford anything else. I carried a bible and a linen handkerchief given to me by my 98 year old grandmother for the wedding. This was taken a month or so after we got married, but it was what we wore for the wedding. Sorry it is tipped - it is actually a photo of a photo.
Image 19.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By chance, I came across a picture from our wedding day in 1972 with my parents, and Michele in the wedding dress that she made from scratch. I would much rather you look at her instead of me- it's easier on your eyes.
IMG_1315.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About that. I would say that I married up, and when I first proposed, I was scared spitless that she would say no.
I see the radiant look on her face. No way was she ever going to say no. She was waiting for that proposal. Her dress is beautiful. She did a magnificent job. It looks like a perfect match and a perfect day. :) I love the photo even if we can’t see your smile too. I’m sure your smile equaled hers.