Stubborn Stray cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have 2 indoor only cats that were coming to my outdoor feeding station and were already TNR'd and I'm feeding 2 outdoor stray/ferals that I had TNR'd last year.

I previously had 4 cats at one time, my own 2 and then I took in my Mom's 2 when she went into assisted living. They all lived long lives of 18 to 20 years.
Wow that is so cool do you care to share them with us?

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are going to trip lol. I have Romeo, Grayson, Little One, Bella and Timothy lol the black and white one is my stubborn one lol Grayson is first, Romeo and Little One. I don't have a picture of Timmy yet 😹😹. Let's see your babies lol 😻😻
Bella and I tonight ❀

Attachments

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's really pretty,looks like she's at a smorgasbord-sweet lil girl is a heart melter
She really is on most all days. Just left her. She always has a a bounty of food. Best I can do for her at this point.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ. Bella has graduated to all the way in the carrier without the door!!!! Now next week is door week, I need to tie a string to the door and be far enough away not to freak her out. Kwik do you have any suggestions seeing you have trapped your strays this way? I need as many ideas as possible please. Thank you so much to everyone here πŸ’œβ€β€

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ. Bella has graduated to all the way in the carrier without the door!!!! Now next week is door week, I need to tie a string to the door and be far enough away not to freak her out. Kwik do you have any suggestions seeing you have trapped your strays this way? I need as many ideas as possible please. Thank you so much to everyone here πŸ’œβ€β€
Put the door back on the carrier but tie it open so it cannot close and get Bella used to that and she must get used to you being present as well(if you want to continue to do this gradually ( which is always best but not always an option)

Closing a carrier door with a string is very risky,it's startling,not secure and can very quickly turn into another failed attempt and another big setback

The idea here ,using the familiararity method is trust- trusting the carrier is not a threat bit also YOU are not a threat......I've always worked very closely with the ferals,semis & strays ,this is very very time consuming-my first goal is that "I" pose no threat----understand I'm not an advocate for TNR...so I've never set out to capture & release but to contain and socialize---- which from what I understand is your goal,if Bella was a TNR goal I'd simply suggest a drop down trap..... that's how I'd rescue the bigger colonies when familiarizing was not an option prior to capture

You've been working with Bella for some time now,right? She should not be fearful of you being right outside of the carrier,thsts the idea ahd then you just close the door and cover the carrier

Does thst help or am I not fully understanding your relationship with her thus far?I'm thinking your only problem is you cannot physically handle her to pick her up-is thst right?

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Put the door back on the carrier but tie it open so it cannot close and get Bella used to that and she must get used to you being present as well(if you want to continue to do this gradually ( which is always best but not always an option)

Closing a carrier door with a string is very risky,it's startling,not secure and can very quickly turn into another failed attempt and another big setback

The idea here ,using the familiararity method is trust- trusting the carrier is not a threat bit also YOU are not a threat......I've always worked very closely with the ferals,semis & strays ,this is very very time consuming-my first goal is that "I" pose no threat----understand I'm not an advocate for TNR...so I've never set out to capture & release but to contain and socialize---- which from what I understand is your goal,if Bella was a TNR goal I'd simply suggest a drop down trap..... that's how I'd rescue the bigger colonies when familiarizing was not an option prior to capture

You've been working with Bella for some time now,right? She should not be fearful of you being right outside of the carrier,thsts the idea ahd then you just close the door and cover the carrier

Does thst help or am I not fully understanding your relationship with her thus far?I'm thinking your only problem is you cannot physically handle her to pick her up-is thst right?
Yes I have been working with her for about 2 months. At least with the carrier per say. Yes I understand what you are saying. I have been putting her food in and leaving so she is not spooked by my movements. The other day she did go in and I was present. I am trying to do this the right way, so we will do the door this week with me present. I will just inch myself closer to the carrier and see how things go. I want the least amount of stress as possible for her. I have to live with her when it's all said and done.
Thank you for your advice Kwik πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have been working with her for about 2 months. At least with the carrier per say. Yes I understand what you are saying. I have been putting her food in and leaving so she is not spooked by my movements. The other day she did go in and I was present. I am trying to do this the right way, so we will do the door this week with me present. I will just inch myself closer to the carrier and see how things go. I want the least amount of stress as possible for her. I have to live with her when it's all said and done.
Thank you for your advice Kwik πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ
It's my pleasure friend ❀
As long as you can afford the luxury of " time" and she's out of harms way then just be patient and take that time

It's so much easier to do things in the future when a solid foundation is established from the start..... do you pet her? Petting & praising as they go in and come out is a great reward too,,helping Bella to understand and relate the carrier to " good things"- pleasurable

At this rate even after transporting her to and from the Vets office she should not associate the carrier to that experience-it will be a "safe" space.....when I'm at the Vets office with my cats after they are finished they just go in their carriers,they go in their carriers when I take it out of the closet & open the door,sometimes I get ready to go and the wrong cats in there,lol

After awhile and she's living with you it's good to give her rides in the house from place to place so she gets used to being carried around & it doesn't mean" VET" ..... you're starting out excellent!

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she did go all the way into the carrier so now the door goes on and we will work on me getting closer..
I do hope to be able to shut the door by Saturday.. starting to get really cold here. Everyone keep there paws crossed....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will, and bless you for helping her! Is this a carrier or a live trap? I catch mine by propping the door open with a half-gallon plastic milk jug half full of water and tie a long string on it. then pull it sharply when the right cat goes in. i have had them walk back into the trap a day after being trapped! So I have to have something that can be selective. it is a live trap I got at Tractor Supply for 29.99 on sale.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will, and bless you for helping her! Is this a carrier or a live trap? I catch mine by propping the door open with a half-gallon plastic milk jug half full of water and tie a long string on it. then pull it sharply when the right cat goes in. i have had them walk back into the trap a day after being trapped! So I have to have something that can be selective. it is a live trap I got at Tractor Supply for 29.99 on sale.
She is really not feral in that sense. She and I have a relationship. I am working with a large carrier and we will work on the door this week. She is fast and strong thanks to me feeding her lol. I want to let her feel safe and comfy with the door on and then softly shut the door as Kwik and I were talking about. I couldn't imagine letting anything starve and you are welcome πŸ€—

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
She is really not feral in that sense. She and I have a relationship. I am working with a large carrier and we will work on the door this week. She is fast and strong thanks to me feeding her lol. I want to let her feel safe and comfy with the door on and then softly shut the door as Kwik and I were talking about. I couldn't imagine letting anything starve and you are welcome πŸ€—
I'm confident you and Bella are going to do just fine and Saturday just might be the day! So my 5 all have their paws crossed for you and we'll be waiting to hear how WELL it all goesπŸ‘πŸ©·πŸ™

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we just regressed omgosh.. I had to take her food back out of the carrier just to get her to eat it.. this is so disheartening.. Almost in tears here and it is getting really cold

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't cry,it's okay--- Bella has a wonderful fur coat and she's going to be okay- now I'm worrying about YOU- you've got to keep it together and stick to the plan CALMLY

Cats will easily pick up on your anxiety,fear etc and they react to it with reservation,they are not sure what your upset about " Hmm,maybe something is up with this carrier" might be Bellas reaction to you being scared to death that your not goijg to get her to the Vet,it's cold,its frustrating etc etc..... see what I mean?

Often times " hungry " can work in your favor--- maybe instead of letting her eat outside she's have to go in cause she's hungry---- but it's okay,start again,bundle yourself up for the cold and stay calm ,giving her no pause

Cmon,you can do this- I know you can- okay?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me add something- don't let your goal date put the pressure on you---- I know for myself I can easily feel alot of pressure by setting up my own expectations and not being able to meet them by " when" I've planned to- simply let go of it,plans don't always go "as planned " ... Hope that helps you to give yourself a break,we can be extremely hard on ourselves

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't cry,it's okay--- Bella has a wonderful fur coat and she's going to be okay- now I'm worrying about YOU- you've got to keep it together and stick to the plan CALMLY

Cats will easily pick up on your anxiety,fear etc and they react to it with reservation,they are not sure what your upset about " Hmm,maybe something is up with this carrier" might be Bellas reaction to you being scared to death that your not goijg to get her to the Vet,it's cold,its frustrating etc etc..... see what I mean?

Often times " hungry " can work in your favor--- maybe instead of letting her eat outside she's have to go in cause she's hungry---- but it's okay,start again,bundle yourself up for the cold and stay calm ,giving her no pause

Cmon,you can do this- I know you can- okay?
I have people at work going when are you going to get her,when are you going to get her? It is out of concern for Bella and it just puts more stress on me. When I am with Bella I don't act differently and we still do belly rubs. I think I am going to remove the majority of the straw and see if that helps some. She only gets her morning can in the carrier and she knows this and if she doesn't eat it then I take it up so far up until today she has been going in so. I take the carrier up as soon as she is done.
I just want her home with me as in yesterday.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have people at work going when are you going to get her,when are you going to get her? It is out of concern for Bella and it just puts more stress on me. When I am with Bella I don't act differently and we still do belly rubs. I think I am going to remove the majority of the straw and see if that helps some. She only gets her morning can in the carrier and she knows this and if she doesn't eat it then I take it up so far up until today she has been going in so. I take the carrier up as soon as she is done.
Kwik you keep me sane πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik you keep me sane πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ
Aww Sweetheart-glad to be able to help---- don't let anyone get to you,Bella will be home with you and safe and this will be a thing of the past in the very near future-so its gonna be okay

I was so beside myself all year with worry when Timmy was outside,I was so fearful of the nasty cat hating neighbors and crazy cars all over the place,I sure do understand your feelings -until they are INSIDE!

I'm here for you,you got this!

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omgosh .. she is limping so bad,, I am trying to figure out what I can give her over the counter that might will help with inflammation on her foot ? I cant see anything wrong with it but it is hurting her pretty bad, so today is the day she will get in the carrier not by choice but out of need. I don't have the money to take her to vet now , so I am just beside myself and feeling a bit lost .. Please Kwik help me .... All thoughts and Ideas are appreciated.. Heartbroken over here.she has gone into the bushes to hide from the wind and all I can do is hope I can coax her out if not I don't know what I am going to do? It is about to get very cold and rainy here as well, I just so want to kick myself in the butt for not pushing her before now ...What if I cant find her before I leave work, there are so many things running through my head right now . I just went to the bushes to find her, I called her name and no answer I don't know where she is :0(

Last edited: