Stubborn Stray cat

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a stray I am taking care of at work.. its getting beyond cold and she will not lay on anything. I have tried to catch her and no luck. she will not stand on blankets, towels, rugs anything. Dose anyone have any ideas on what I can put down under my car she might stand on to at least stay off the cold ground. I have to keep in mind I work at a hotel and my car is parked right in front.. Very frustrated and depressed over it .

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stray I am taking care of at work.. its getting beyond cold and she will not lay on anything. I have tried to catch her and no luck. she will not stand on blankets, towels, rugs anything. Dose anyone have any ideas on what I can put down under my car she might stand on to at least stay off the cold ground. I have to keep in mind I work at a hotel and my car is parked right in front.. Very frustrated and depressed over it .
I can really understand your position ,your frustration and concerns and I truly wish I could offer suggestions but I went through the exact same thing with Timmy when he was outside ( adult feral)- only difference is I live in South Florida so cold weather was not in the equation

However,we do have severe storms and hurricanes,you can imagine how I worried when this boy would vanish for 2 nights and the winds were ripping out trees and the terrentisl rains were relentless - after the hurricane passed he came trotting up for his food!

Like you I tried everything to give him shelter from the storms,the heat and humidity and I spent a bundle on cat houses etc.... Nope, wouldn't lay on anything but the ground & when the pavement was sizzling hot he'd lie down on my polished stone in landscape bed

Funny thing is after I captured him I think it took 2months before he got brave enough to set foot in a cat bed,watching him snuggle in a soft bed for the first time brought tears to my eyes --+ they are just so careful and cautious of anything unnatural - I found some wonderful little dens that look like a log,perfect for cold weather- I'll see if I can find it for you and post it - wish I could be of more helpโค

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be much better if you could trap him. A trap that is wired open can get him used to it, I first put the food in front of the trap and after they get comfortable eating there, move it further in. It will take a while, maybe weeks, but works well on the timid ones. Just make sure you have a blanket to throw over the whole trap.so he doesn't hurt himself against the wire. It calms them. It can be done! You could maybe get a drug to put in his food from a vet, but you would have to be there so he doesn't get hurt when he is feeling the effects. all the luck!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I just re-read your post and see you mentioned you tried to cstch her- does this mean youd like to keep her,take her home?You said you park in front of your work( hotel),so is it surrounded by landscape or someplace you can put a trap? Where do you feed her?..... of course I completely agree with di and bob di and bob I'm wondering how you tried to catch her....?

Local rescues and shelters will usually loan out a trap for someone who wants to rescue a stray- here at our local rescues we have many volunteers that will come out to help trap.... perhaps you might give a call so you can get what you need to get little Missy out of harms way and " home".....

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Most cats love to stand on cardboard. Start by putting a flattened cardboard box under your car. It's surprisingly warm compared to concrete or asphalt. You could try sprinkling a little bit of catnip on it to attract her.

If she likes the cardboard box you can use that to line a humane trap to try and catch her. You'll need to cut a long sheet of card to fit inside the trap, covering the wire floor and extending out the door quite a way too, so she doesn't notice that the ground under her paws feels different as she walks into the trap.

Are you trying to trap her to spay and release, or are you able to take her home with you?

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of pieces of commercial carpet that the feral I feed will sit on, it is very flat with no nap to it and he is fine sitting on it. I have tired putting something softer out for him but he will not sit on it, it's either the carpet piece or the concrete. ๐Ÿ˜„

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can really understand your position ,your frustration and concerns and I truly wish I could offer suggestions but I went through the exact same thing with Timmy when he was outside ( adult feral)- only difference is I live in South Florida so cold weather was not in the equation

However,we do have severe storms and hurricanes,you can imagine how I worried when this boy would vanish for 2 nights and the winds were ripping out trees and the terrentisl rains were relentless - after the hurricane passed he came trotting up for his food!

Like you I tried everything to give him shelter from the storms,the heat and humidity and I spent a bundle on cat houses etc.... Nope, wouldn't lay on anything but the ground & when the pavement was sizzling hot he'd lie down on my polished stone in landscape bed

Funny thing is after I captured him I think it took 2months before he got brave enough to set foot in a cat bed,watching him snuggle in a soft bed for the first time brought tears to my eyes --+ they are just so careful and cautious of anything unnatural - I found some wonderful little dens that look like a log,perfect for cold weather- I'll see if I can find it for you and post it - wish I could be of more helpโค
Bella is so loyal ๐Ÿ˜ she just sits under the car and waits for me or she stalks me in the hotel windows. If I am in the back parking lot she follows me. I have to have something that will go under my car. Money is tight and she is stubborn. I have tried tuna, sardines, oysters, etc and she won't toch it and won't go in any kind of carrier etc. I have tried Benadryl in her wet food and she won't touch it because she can smell it grr lol.

Thank you for the ideas ๐Ÿ’œ

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most cats love to stand on cardboard. Start by putting a flattened cardboard box under your car. It's surprisingly warm compared to concrete or asphalt. You could try sprinkling a little bit of catnip on it to attract her.

If she likes the cardboard box you can use that to line a humane trap to try and catch her. You'll need to cut a long sheet of card to fit inside the trap, covering the wire floor and extending out the door quite a way too, so she doesn't notice that the ground under her paws feels different as she walks into the trap.

Are you trying to trap her to spay and release, or are you able to take her home with you?
She is fixed. I can touch her mouth, ears, belly shake her tail just a little ( not hard) I can touch her paws and I plan to take her home. I will try the box under the car and see what happens. I can't afford a trap and no one here in my area will lend one so. Thanks for the suggestions ๐Ÿ’œ

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just re-read your post and see you mentioned you tried to cstch her- does this mean youd like to keep her,take her home?You said you park in front of your work( hotel),so is it surrounded by landscape or someplace you can put a trap? Where do you feed her?..... of course I completely agree with di and bob di and bob I'm wondering how you tried to catch her....?

Local rescues and shelters will usually loan out a trap for someone who wants to rescue a stray- here at our local rescues we have many volunteers that will come out to help trap.... perhaps you might give a call so you can get what you need to get little Missy out of harms way and " home".....
In the past it was a normal size Carrier but I have a really big one and I may try that, but she has yet to even get close to slightly walking in even with food. I feed her right next to my car to protect her and make her feel safe even if someone is coming in and out. No one around here loans traps and most are very unresponsive. So it leaves my paws tied.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be much better if you could trap him. A trap that is wired open can get him used to it, I first put the food in front of the trap and after they get comfortable eating there, move it further in. It will take a while, maybe weeks, but works well on the timid ones. Just make sure you have a blanket to throw over the whole trap.so he doesn't hurt himself against the wire. It calms them. It can be done! You could maybe get a drug to put in his food from a vet, but you would have to be there so he doesn't get hurt when he is feeling the effects. all the luck!
My vet won't give her anything because by law here in GA he has to examine her first. I have tried Benadryl but she can smell it and won't touch her wet if its in there.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always had luck moving strays by using my carrier, and it's a large one, with wet food....on daily feedings, I would pin the door open and keep placing the wet further and further in, the last time I did this it took about several weeks for the stray to just run right in when ever I'd set the carrier down(could not leave my carrier at that location for a long period, just for feeding time).....BUT, this method always worked for me as far as getting one in a carrier........

AND yes, I use cardboard boxes a lot, cats seem to like cardboard......I use a lot of boxes that have the walls cut down to about hand -high, seems any higher they don't like it......and if ya try a full box, they seem to want 2 doors in and out..............

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always had luck moving strays by using my carrier, and it's a large one, with wet food....on daily feedings, I would pin the door open and keep placing the wet further and further in, the last time I did this it took about several weeks for the stray to just run right in when ever I'd set the carrier down(could not leave my carrier at that location for a long period, just for feeding time).....BUT, this method always worked for me as far as getting one in a carrier........

AND yes, I use cardboard boxes a lot, cats seem to like cardboard......I use a lot of boxes that have the walls cut down to about hand -high, seems any higher they don't like it......and if ya try a full box, they seem to want 2 doors in and out..............
Well I have listened to everyone and the cardboard box I am going to us and my big big carrier I am taking with me tonight and going to use a cut long box in it. At least she might have some cover if she chooses. Thank you for all the advice ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I have listened to everyone and the cardboard box I am going to us and my big big carrier I am taking with me tonight and going to use a cut long box in it. At least she might have some cover if she chooses. Thank you for all the advice ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜
And of course she will not stand on the boxes ๐Ÿ˜ž she is so different I am just at a loss on what to do. Got to work and we were so busy I couldn't set up the carrier so I put out the boxes one under the car and one under her food. She stands on the side of them... So stressed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It takes a while for cats to get used to anything new. I buy mine a new blanket or cat bed and they all avoid it like it's cursed for at least a week.

Keep the same cardboard box in your car and put it down in the same spot whenever you feed her. She's used to you and your smell, so once it's been in your car for a while it's going to lose the scent of wherever it was before and take on your car's scent. Cats don't like change. They like routine, the same sights, sounds and smells that they know are safe are reassuring to them. Take some deep breaths so you radiate calm as well. Nothing will put a cat off more than their care giver standing anxiously by while they check out anything new.

Just be patient. Dealing with stray and feral cats can be stressful, but you just have to go at their pace.

:hugs:

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It takes a while for cats to get used to anything new. I buy mine a new blanket or cat bed and they all avoid it like it's cursed for at least a week.

Keep the same cardboard box in your car and put it down in the same spot whenever you feed her. She's used to you and your smell, so once it's been in your car for a while it's going to lose the scent of wherever it was before and take on your car's scent. Cats don't like change. They like routine, the same sights, sounds and smells that they know are safe are reassuring to them. Take some deep breaths so you radiate calm as well. Nothing will put a cat off more than their care giver standing anxiously by while they check out anything new.

Just be patient. Dealing with stray and feral cats can be stressful, but you just have to go at their pace.

:hugs:
I Love her so very much but some days I feel like she is going to be the death of me lol. I really don't stand over her I give her the water first, then dry, then I give her wet that is warm and then I sit while she eats. She has me trained ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜. I do have to say I was sitting in the parking lot next to my hotel just to catch my breath from the four at the house, and I thought I was good lol. Then here comes Bella staking me in the other parking lot. So off I went to our usual spot ๐Ÿ˜. She is too funny

Thank you for all your help and kindness ๐Ÿ’œ

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , "they like routine, the same sights, sounds and smells that they know are safe are reassuring to them" THAT ONE SENTENCE SHOULD BE WRITTEN IN STONE, I can't agree enough................

In working with strays/ferals, being calm, no quick moves AND I find calm human voice over time is always helpful.......

price053 price053 , It looks to me like your gonna have to skip cardboard boxes(that will come later) and go straight to the wet food bit with the open door carrier, that means everytime that cat gets wet food, make it go in an open-door carrier, remember, same place, same time, THEN, one of these times, get that door closed.........This method always worked for me, it's just a matter of time and all cats are different SO I'm thinking ya better get started with the wet food/carrier bit, don't worry about cardboard right now...
OH and feeding out of that carrier, I don't cover carrier during that process, only cover during transport of cat................

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , "they like routine, the same sights, sounds and smells that they know are safe are reassuring to them" THAT ONE SENTENCE SHOULD BE WRITTEN IN STONE, I can't agree enough................

In working with strays/ferals, being calm, no quick moves AND I find calm human voice over time is always helpful.......

price053 price053 , It looks to me like your gonna have to skip cardboard boxes(that will come later) and go straight to the wet food bit with the open door carrier, that means everytime that cat gets wet food, make it go in an open-door carrier, remember, same place, same time, THEN, one of these times, get that door closed.........This method always worked for me, it's just a matter of time and all cats are different SO I'm thinking ya better get started with the wet food/carrier bit, don't worry about cardboard right now...
OH and feeding out of that carrier, I don't cover carrier during that process, only cover during transport of cat................
This stray is just like a house pet with me. She will let me rub her belly touch her ears, nose her paws etc. We do wam wet food twice a day once at 10:30 pm and then at 5:30 am 7 days a week. She just won't listen ๐Ÿ˜ about getting in the carrier ๐Ÿ˜น

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This stray is just like a house pet with me. She will let me rub her belly touch her ears, nose her paws etc. We do wam wet food twice a day once at 10:30 pm and then at 5:30 am 7 days a week. She just won't listen ๐Ÿ˜ about getting in the carrier ๐Ÿ˜น
Did you say you have 4 at home? Sounds all so familiar-lol

Since Bella is very handleable ,are you familiar with doing a burrito wrap with a blanket?Are you able to pick her up? I would suggest if you are not experienced with "wrapping for trapping" method then please practice at home with your easy to pick up pets as a fail would be a big set back with a stray ......I hear they have" how to" videos online..... might be an easy enough option to putting her inside a nice size carrier if you do pick her up

It's very sad that no local organizations offer help- maybe your Vet will lend you trap?