stray pregnant kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you try re-directing their sucking onto a stuffed animal? I had a cat who sucked from the time she was tiny (no mom) and it continued her whole life. I gave her a teddy bear and she wore the fur off over the years from sucking and kneading.

He clearly thinks you're mom and wants to attach himself, but finding an alternative would be much better :).

I don't think we can predict spraying behavior. None of my male cats have ever sprayed though. Maybe I've been lucky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet told me that the local neuter scooter that is run by PETA will most likely not do the neuter because it involves a more surgery type procedure because they actually have to "look" for the testicles.  I guess I will have to save up.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to stop the little male from his sucking on my ear lobe because it was actually causing a sore.  He goes nuts trying to get to my ear.  I am going to try the stuffed animal thing.  I don't mind the little girl sucking on my shirt because it doesn't harm anything.  She does it for a minute then falls asleep.  These kittens have definitely attached to me.  They follow me around and if I'm on the couch, soon they are too.  I haven't let them in my bedroom yet (which is where ALL of our pets sleep at night) because they are still playing at bedtime.  Eventually they will walk down the hallway just like the others when the lights go out and the tv goes off.  It is such a funny sight.  All the animals head to the bedroom when the tv goes off.  It certainly looks like I am going to be keeping all 4 of these kittens.  That makes me an 8 cat lady.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome to Cat Lady Land!

You're in very good company on this site :).

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not having any luck I getting the kittens to stop sucking on me.  The girl suck on my shirt, gets it wet and falls asleep.  the male still insists on sucking my ear.  I won't let him so he sucks on his own toes.  He is crazy.  He will suck his toes till he falls asleep.  I have tried the stuffed animals.  Even put catnip inside one to make it alluring.  didn't work.  These two kittens are on my lap any time I am sitting down, wanting to suck.   I love them, but this is crazy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try putting kitten formula and/or honey on a soft piece of fleece and seeing if they will suck on that. Sort of a personal blanket. You may have to make yourself unavailable during the transition.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.  The kittens are 5 mos. old now.  Still with me!  Buffy is still sucking on my shirt and Scrappy  is still sucking on my earlobe.  Love them so much.  The boys testicles did finally drop.  Scrappy has 2 but Winky still only has one.

Here is my new dilemma.  They went to the vet the other day and the eye agenisis is causing sore eye.  She contacted a surgeon that does eye surgery.  I spoke with them and they are willing to perform a  fairly new surgery on each kitten that involves taking tissue from their lower eye area and making  an eyelid on the upper where they have none.  The surgeon vet said they have actually never performed this surgery, they have studied up on it and they are willing to do my kittens at a remarkable good fee.  Only $50 each kitten, which will include their spay/neuter.

We have an appointment for next week, but I was wondering if any of you have heard of this surgery for eye agenisis or could run it by your vets.  They said the only risk would be that the tissue does not take on the upper eyelid area.

Is there a big risk at putting kittens at this young an age under anesthesia?  I am really concerned, but I do not want the kittens to have sore eyes all their lives.  The vet said the problem cold cause ulcers on the cornea and could even cause blindness.

Please help

These are the kittens.  Stealthy, Has good eyes.  Winky , has only slight agenisis. Buffy, has the worse case.  She has no eyelids.  and Scrappy, has agenisis too and looks like a Chinese man.  I want to give them the best chance at good eyesight with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens are all darling and look healthy as can be.

I have not heard of this new procedure, but it is well worth going for it.

The cost is downright amazing too!

I don't think the anesthesia is an issue at all, to me, the younger the better actually.

If they have normal good heart and lungs, they will be just fine with this.

It would seem to me that the new eyelid should fuse on to the skin and heal well together, as long as they have freshly cut parts and are aligned perfectly, it's sort of the nature of skin cells, and seems like this is a real breakthrough.

Surely the vets are not going in to this blindly despite never performing it before. I doubt they would be willing if they didn't think there is a good chance of success.

Did they discuss what 'if' the new lid does not fuse to the skin? Remove it and back to square one or what?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Catwoman regarding the surgery.

They are just adorable, by the way!

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your assurance.  I want to give these kittens the best chance at having "normal" eyes without all the pain and infections.  the little buff kitten's eyes are the worse.  I really hope this new surgery is successful.  I wouldn't do it if there was big risks.  The vet said she doesn't know of any reason it won't.  I will let everyone know how it goes next week.  these little babies are special to me since I raised them and didn't rehome them.  they are with me forever.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we will anxiously wait for your update. Hoping for success! :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you're keeping them? Great news. I'm very hopeful that this will work for them, especially the little girl kitten.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, I couldn't find them a good forever home when they were small kittens (8 wks old) and now they are almost 6 mos. old. I am pretty attached to them now so I guess they are mine.  Especially if I go to the expense of surgery and spay/neuter.  The only problem is that having them with my other 4 makes .  it impossible to rescue any more.  Husband says 8 plus 2 outdoor cats is enough.  It is a lot of work that's for sure.  Scrappy loves to suck on my earlobes and Buffy sucks on my shirt.  Winky has to sleep right by my head on the pillow at night. Some nights Stealthy kitty will sleep on my side.  They really have personalities for sure.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.  I have news to let you in on. We took the kittens to the surgeon for the eye agenisis surgery and the spay /neuter.  Only 2 got the eye surgery.  After the 3rd day,, the kittens eyes looked so bad that I took them to my regular vet.  She said they were very infected.  I had to leave them for 6 days for medical boarding.  My vet agrees that the surgery was not a success.  The flap of skin that was suppose to make the upper eyelid is attached only to the corner of the eye making it look like a ball of skin has grown on each corner.  We are going to try to find a ophthalmology surgeon who can correct this botched surgery.  As you know the surgeon who did the surgery had never performed this procedure before and that is why I was given such a remarkably good price.  But, the cost to correct the eyes now is going to be very costly I'm afraid.  I feel so bad for my babies for putting them through this.  It really breaks my heart to look at their eyes now.  They have to look through little slits to see and the flap that has turned into a ball of tissue at the corner of each eye is horrendous.  I will keep you updated, but please pray that this can be corrected and they can have normal looking eyes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a saint! I'll definitely pray that your sweet babies come through fine and will see normal. I wonder if you could start some kind of benefit on the internet to raise money for their surgery? I've seen them for much less then what your little ones need. Please kiss them all for me, and know I'll be praying for you!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is horrible. What about the Vet who did the surgery? They didn't think there'd be such complications? Will they be willing to help you with the cost or anything at all to help these little ones for what they have done? You might be able to start a fundraiser for these and get a little help. Time is of the essence, I'm worried it might cause them issues with their actual eyes. I hope it doesn't cause them to lose their eyes. Are they on any antibiotics on the meantime?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. It's awful that the surgery was such a profound failure and has made things worse. I feel badly that the kittens are going through this.

Are they all spayed/neutered now though without any residual complications?

I'm sure you signed a waiver on the eye surgeries, but I believe you'd still have a case against that vet. He should be ashamed of himself. Only one kitten should have had surgery at a time to see whether the "experiment" would work.

I'm praying their eye sight can be preserved and the skin flaps removed, as well as the look of their eyes corrected. What a mess! Hopefully, whomever does the next surgery will work with you on a payment plan as well.

Thank you for the update, and again, I am so sorry you and your kittens are going through this.

Are they doing okay otherwise?

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet who did the surgery said she is willing to take a look at them, but she is 2 hours away and if they need to be seen regularly (if she redoes the surgery) It will be almost impossible to do.  My regular vet is going to help me find an ophthalmology surgeon in my area.  I originally took them to the other surgeon because of the cost factor.  But w, I am jus willing to pay whatever I have to to get their eyes fixed.  I wonder if I could put up a small fundraiser on this site?  Who would I contact?  I am so grateful that I have fellow cat lover here  Thank you for your concern

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the kittens were spayed/neutered.  No problems there.  It was just the buff colored one and the black one that had eye surgery.  My cell phone is broke so I can't take a pic, but I will try toet one so you can see what I am dealing with.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
anyone know if I can put a fundraising request on this site to help me with the cost of the ophthalmology  surgery the kittens will need