stray pregnant kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodmorning everyone. This morning my husband noticed fleas on the babies. They are 12 wks old now. They never go outside, and mamma cat doesn't come in anymore since the last time she attacked my dog. We ate really adamant about fleas, we treat the yard, and check the dogs regularly. We have not seen fleas on any of the dogs or adult cats. Help. What is the best way to de-flea the kittens? Is there a safe flea product for cats under 4 mos. Old?
Obviously I haven't had any luck on rehoming these babies so I need to take care of them. Momma cat hangs around outside, she never leaves the yard. I still have the crate set up and covered with tarp to keep out rain, but I don't think she gets in it. I think she runs under the shed when it rains, but I will keep trying to provide her a safe place.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Advantage is available for kittens 2-5 pounds. It's specifically made for kittens! It's at my PetSmart, and online through Amazon. Around $50 for a box with four tubes. At 12 weeks your kittens should be be between 2 or 3 pounds apiece and this should kill the fleas!

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens are very small even at 12 wks. I doubt they are 2 lbs. What flea shampoo is good for babies?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it cheaper on Amazon. I agree, Advantage is a good one, but with any flea pesticide product, please keep an eye on them once you apply any flea topical given that rare but adverse reactions can occur. I've used advantage for many years and I find it to be one of the safer, gentler flea topicals, even used on rabbits, but I did have one cat with slight itching and fur loss. If you see any reactions such as itching, drooling, fur loss, etc, please wash the cat or kitten immediately with dawn dish soap to remove it. It may be very well you'll never need this information but in case you do, I feel better if you are aware. 

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, they are that little, in that case, you could wash them in plain, blue, dawn dish soap or baby shampoo and then be sure they are kept warm until they are dry as kittens chill easily. If you can, and if they are not afraid you could gently and very carefully dry them with a hair dryer on low/warm. I've washed week-old kitten that way. Also a flea comb will help to pick the fleas off of them. I'll see if I can find a link to what they look like. They are a little different than regular combs.

Here is a link to one I use, I find the tines are strong and they catch fleas easily, I do get mine cheaper at a Pet store. 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you weigh them? I am guessing they weigh more than you think. A kitten should ideally weigh one pound for every month of age, so they should weigh close to 3 pounds now.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens can safely be given advantage 11, they don't actually state 2 lbs but at least 8 weeks of age. Each tube for kitten size has 0.4 mls of med, if you have a 1.0 ml syringe you can measure out 0.3 for each kitten, so 2/3 tube each.

This is the fastest and is safe to be rid of fleas, as even a washing will allow any fleas in the area to hop right back on and infest them all over again, and it will happen soon.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I will go to my vet and get some flea stuff. we plan on bathing cats, kittens and dogs on Sat. thank everyone

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello again.  kittens went to the vet Monday.  they have fleas and ear mites and round worm.  What an expensive trip that was.  I told the vet they don't go outside so I don't know how they got all that.  Found out the two little boys testicles have not come down.  She said the local neuter scooter will not do a neuter because it requires a surgery .  Said they are most likely sterile anyway.  But my problem is this, if they don't get neutered will they start spraying?  I can not have that in my house..  My mom had male cats that were not neutered and they sprayed on everything.  Seems like I am getting kicked in the butt for saving these little guys.  Any one have any ideas?

Re:  my last post.  all of a sudden the kittens have become very very loving!  They want on my lap all the time.  They will even curl up around my neck.  Don't know what's up with the change.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would guess they inherited fleas, ear mites and round worm from their yard cat mom, and brought them in with them. You should ask if the vet will give you ear mite and worm meds for their mom without having to bring her in.

How old are the kittens now? Is it possible their testicles might still descend? Not sure about the spraying. I'll do some research on that.

My kittens suddenly turned very loving also, actually seeking me out & getting in my lap. It's as though they finally mature enough to begin bonding with their food provider - trusting and realizing we bring them comfort and safety! It's wonderful, isn't it? :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In time their testicles will likely drop.

All kittens have roundworms. They can be given revolution for fleas which also treats earmites.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are still young to be neutered so they might be alright if not though, they can be neutered but it will be more expensive though. I do think they would start spraying when they mature as the hormones and everything will be there just in a different place than usual.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello cat friends. Kittens still with me, no luck finding new homes. My question today is this...3 of the kittens get on me and "love". One of the girls constantly kneads and suckles on my shirt. She just sucks and kneads till she falls asleep. One of the boys likes to get up around my neck and lick/suck my ear while kneading. The other girl wants to be in my lap whenever I sit down and the boy wants to sit beside me. What's up? All of a sudden they are so attached to me. But what,s the sucking and kneading all about? They are 3 mos. Old now. And momma cat is still hanging around the yard. She rarely goes out of the yard. I go out several times a day to pet her and see that she has fresh water and food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are comfort sucking, and they are identifying with you as their mother because they no longer have their mom around.

I kept my pregnant stray and her four babies, who are now almost five months old. They still hang with their mom (all are indoor) and try to suckle her for comfort when she lets them (she has no milk).

They are all very sweet and also love to get in my lap and in bed with me. I'm their "other" mother. It's typical behavior when you've raised them since birth :).

Glad mama kitty has become a happy yard cat!

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
will the boys start spraying?  their testicles have not dropped so it will take an operation to neuter them which I can not afford.  they are really good at using the litter boxes right now, and I can't have a spraying issue or my hubby will make me give them up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's hope they don't. They seem a bit young to spray. Hopefully their testicles will drop eventually.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About the boys testicles not dropping, the vet said they probably will not, and they will most likely be sterile.  But I am really worried about the spraying issue.  I have not spoke to the vet about that yet.  I just know that if they start to spray my husband will absolutely not stand for it.  I have one adult male neutered cat and he has never sprayed.  Now I have these 2 male kittens and I am concerned.

Also, the kitten with the sucking habit is crazy.  He has licked and sucked on my ear till it is sore.  I try to stop him but if he is on my lap he wants to go right up to the shoulder and find my ear.    The other kitten sucks my shirt which is ok.  it doesn't cause a problem other than a wet shirt.  but this little boy is obsessed with sucking my ear .  What can I do?  He doesn't want held or cuddled unless he is sucking my ear.  he will purr like crazy while sucking, then fall asleep.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe somehow you can see about saving up for their neuters? Since they are young, it gives you  a little time, maybe a local Humane Society will have a low cost neuter program or will be willing to help you with them since they are a special case.