stray pregnant kitten

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been taking care of an outside stray kitten that is very pregnant.  I set up a crate with blankets and food bowl.  She comes daily to eat in it, until today.  I am afraid that she is in the neighborhood somewhere having babies.  IF she does come back tonight or tomorrow to eat and is still pregnant, can I contain her in the crate until she has the babies?  It is an extra large dog crate (plastic kind).  I have it surrounded by tall items so nothing can see her through the slits and frighten her.  Will she be ok to stay in the crate until babies come? That is unless she has had them somewhere.  I looked for hours this morning but couldn't find her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have been taking care of an outside stray kitten that is very pregnant.  I set up a crate with blankets and food bowl.  She comes daily to eat in it, until today.  I am afraid that she is in the neighborhood somewhere having babies.  IF she does come back tonight or tomorrow to eat and is still pregnant, can I contain her in the crate until she has the babies?  It is an extra large dog crate (plastic kind).  I have it surrounded by tall items so nothing can see her through the slits and frighten her.  Will she be ok to stay in the crate until babies come? That is unless she has had them somewhere.  I looked for hours this morning but couldn't find her.
You cant take her in somewhere safe?  Preferably your  flat, but a cellar, a shed, garage should be OK too...

Otherwise, if you are sure she will be safe inside the crate, from outside enemies and the weather, yes, I presume it could go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The crate is an extra large dog crate. Plastic type. I feel it is safe, IF she comes back still pregnant. If she has found someplace to have the babies, how long will she stay gone before she comes to eat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe up to one day, because she will not want to leave her babies right away. But she will be very hungry & thirsty after giving birth! Hopefully she will return soon & you can follow her if she has had the babies & bring them & the mama back to your place - inside that is. Let us know what is happening. If she returns still pregnant, please take her inside for good. Thank you for caring!

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to help her, but I just can not bring her inside my house.  I have 4 dogs and 4 cats that would not settle for it.  My females hissed and growled at me when they smelled her scent on me from just petting her.  I will do what I can to save her and the babies.  We have a large crate set up and can cover it so it will be out of the elements and unseen by other animals.  That is the best I can do.  Unless I catch her and take her to the pound which I do not want to do because they will just kill her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, no pound please. That is a death sentence. Just do all you have been doing, and let us know if she has returned or had the kittens. Thank you! Did she come to eat last night or this morning?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I want to help her, but I just can not bring her inside my house.  I have 4 dogs and 4 cats that would not settle for it.  My females hissed and growled at me when they smelled her scent on me from just petting her.  I will do what I can to save her and the babies.  We have a large crate set up and can cover it so it will be out of the elements and unseen by other animals.  That is the best I can do.  Unless I catch her and take her to the pound which I do not want to do because they will just kill her.
Ok, no pound please. That is a death sentence. Just do all you have been doing, and let us know if she has returned or had the kittens. Thank you! Did she come to eat last night or this morning?
I agree with you both.  In that case, the best option left you continue as you do.  No pound, and especielly no kill pound.

Continue to post reports and questions, and Good luck!

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did come to eat last night.  she is still pregnant.  it was raining, so she ate under a shelter I have then left.  she has not returned yet today.  I am going to try and confine her this evening in the crate with food and a litter box and blanket for comfort.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, sounds good. It's the only way to know where the babies will be when she has them. Will she be able to stand & move around a bit in the crate? Can you post a picture of it please? Have you no alternative, such as a garage?

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, when she came to eat this morning she was skinny.  I knew she had the babies so after she ate I followed her down the street to a neighbors house.  she went under their stoop at their porch.  I went up and looked and there she was with those newborn kittens.  I coaxed her out and grabbed 4 of them.  I couldn't get to the other because she went back in and sat on them.  A couple hours later I went back and the neighbor was home.  He pulled the step off and I got another one.  I had thought there was 2 left but I could have been wrong.  I hope she hadn't started to move them.  So I brought that one home.   I just hope she didn't hide one somewhere.  I went to the vet and bought a nurser and some KMR.  I tried to feed them, but they didn't do too good.  then just a while ago the mom came back to eat.  I put the box with the kittens on a towel, inside the crate and put her food in there too.  I put her in the crate and she got in the box with the babies.

So, I now have her locked in the crate with food and a litter box.  The crate is then covered with a tarp to keep wind and rain out.  But open in the front for ventilation.  This crate is the xl size . it would fit a great dane.  I had to move her and the babies because the neighbor did not want her there and the kids in the neighborhood I wouldn't trust around new kittens once the kittens stared getting around.  So I think they are safer here.  I feel like I should let her out in case he has one baby hidden somewhere, but I can't leave the babies outside without her to keep them warm and if I leave the crate open, she may move all of them.  Am I doing the right thing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a tough situation. I am asking @catwoman707 and @StefanZ to get in on this one too. For now, you are doing the best thing. Do you truly think there is one more kitten still under that porch? If so, go now with a flashlight and get the neighbor to move the step so you can search. The mama cat should not leave 5 newborns that are already exposed to the elements. How cold is it out tonight? I'm sending this now so you can go check and will write more soon. Is mama cat nursing the babies well? You said the feeding earlier did not go well. You need specific information on how to feed kittens if this is what you have to do ultimately. It is a delicate and time-consuming task around the clock. Let's hope mama is nursing well. But you need to let us know quickly. Go check for the other kitten you think is out there & get back to us please. Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you say you cannot shelter this cat family inside your home due to your other pets, the absolute best possible alternative would be for them to be fostered through a cat shelter that has foster families to call upon. For now, the kittens will not be moving around much, but in time they will need to move around and play. Can you call around to see about a foster home through an organization (not the animal control or pound) like a Friends of Strays type place?

Where are you located?

And please tell us if the kittens are all nursing well and how cold it is out, and we will offer more advice.

I know that you are doing your best to protect this cat and her kittens, but it is not ideal for them to be in a crate outside. Okay for tonight and tomorrow while we get more advice. And please leave lots of food and water in the crate. Nursing moms are very hungry/thirsty and need a lot of protein like kitten chow and wet food. Will wait to hear back from you. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@mwallace056
Thank you for the call out to the advisors!

Last edited by a moderator:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already, please find the kitten now she can't be out there for long without her mother warmth and without nursing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope she is out looking now. Hope to hear back from her soon. But she should not let the mama cat out to look because there are 5 newborns right there.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Great job getting the babies! I only worry there is actually another.

The thing here is, if mom is allowed freedom, she will go to the other baby, likely bringing it but not for certain, some will, some won't.

However, if she does NOT have another off alone, she will not go away and leave her babies unattended, so it is safe for her to be allowed freedom, it will determine if you need to go on a baby hunt!

If this does happen and she goes off, you will know to follow  her, but the babies will need a heat source until she returns.

You should not have to bottle feed, she should take care of them on her own.

Be cautious leaving the door open, making sure you are right there guarding them from other animals if mom leaves. Or latch it so you can follow her for the last baby, then you can close it for good for a while.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you say you cannot shelter this cat family inside your home due to your other pets, the absolute best possible alternative would be for them to be fostered through a cat shelter that has foster families to call upon. For now, the kittens will not be moving around much, but in time they will need to move around and play. Can you call around to see about a foster home through an organization (not the animal control or pound) like a Friends of Strays type place?

Where are you located?

And please tell us if the kittens are all nursing well and how cold it is out, and we will offer more advice.

I know that you are doing your best to protect this cat and her kittens, but it is not ideal for them to be in a crate outside. Okay for tonight and tomorrow while we get more advice. And please leave lots of food and water in the crate. Nursing moms are very hungry/thirsty and need a lot of protein like kitten chow and wet food. Will wait to hear back from you.
I agree here, ideally, once you are certain all babies are accounted for, I would contact a rescue for a foster for them rather than trying to let her raise them in the crate.