Started them on raw tonight :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I have to amend the venison statement! :D

Lazlo and Spooky were nosing about - they were hungry. :dk: I cut up some more pork for Lazlo, and Spook kept running in and out of the bathroom. I figured - what the heck, let's give it a try.

I put an ounce of the supplemented ground venison meat in a bowl for her. She dug right in, and ate it all up! :eek: . :deer:

Laz ate the pork and wasn't hungry, so I don't know if he'll eat it. But I offered an ounce to Tux. Dug right in! I offered half an ounce to Shel (because of the beef :barf: ), and HE ate it up! Flowerbelle was a one lick and funny face. :flail: OBVIOUSLY Chum, Bill, and Ming Loy seemed to enjoy the little bit I offered them. :lol3:

Guess what (at least most of them) are getting for breakfast tomorrow? :deer: I will have the HT pork on hand. But next HT order, and venison chunks will be a part of it (I think!) :lol3:

It's too early to know if they'll all keep it down. But here's hoping... :cross:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I have to amend the venison statement! :D
Lazlo and Spooky were nosing about - they were hungry. :dk: I cut up some more pork for Lazlo, and Spook kept running in and out of the bathroom. I figured - what the heck, let's give it a try.
I put an ounce of the supplemented ground venison meat in a bowl for her. She dug right in, and ate it all up! :eek: . :deer:
Laz ate the pork and wasn't hungry, so I don't know if he'll eat it. But I offered an ounce to Tux. Dug right in! I offered half an ounce to Shel (because of the beef :barf: ), and HE ate it up! Flowerbelle was a one lick and funny face. :flail: OBVIOUSLY Chum, Bill, and Ming Loy seemed to enjoy the little bit I offered them. :lol3:
Guess what (at least most of them) are getting for breakfast tomorrow? :deer: I will have the HT pork on hand. But next HT order, and venison chunks will be a part of it (I think!) :lol3:
It's too early to know if they'll all keep it down. But here's hoping... :cross:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: SO glad to hear!!! As I ordered 4 lbs of it :paranoid:
As the doc said.... variety variety..... My goal is to not have any meal repeated more than 2x per week..... So.... I need one more protein in my menu!! Hopefully they won't react to beef (by they, I mean Hope)
Awesome you added this one :bigthumb:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Spooky ate about a foot of a wand toy string! :eek: :thud: :anon: It's been 10 years.... she was the one who ate one almost 10 years ago, and I'm pretty sure she was the culprit yesterday. I was playing with them with the Neko Flies karantula (looks like a spider). Spooky was particularly bonking out. Got a biz call, got distracted - and LEFT IT LYING ON THE FLOOR IN THE KITCHEN AT THE FOOT OF THE CAT TREES! :bawling:
I went to pick it up and put it away - and NO SPIDER ON THE END. Found the spider, tied it on - and noticed the string seemed much too short. I compared it to the other Neko Flies toy I have (THANK YOU LAUREN) - and yep! About a foot missing!

OMG LAURIE!!!!!!!!!! You are NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what........ Someone just last night ate about ONE FOOT of the NEKO string and I have no idea who it was either :jaw: I was playing downstairs with the cat's and the Neki toy when the dog's started barking upstairs and the doorbell rang. I ran upstairs to get the door. It was my neighbor, she is moving soon. I totally forgot about the Neko toy downstairs UNTIL - Presley came upstairs with the mouse and string and NO WAND :thud:............... I grabbed it from Presley and ran downstairs to see the other three boys laying around the wand. I tied the mouse back on and compared it to the other one I have. There IS about one foot missing :sobbing:..... It is either Walden, Wendall, Perkins or Presley. I can't believe this ( or maybe I can :lol3: you know what I mean :hugs:) happened to both of us at the same time..... So far no puke and poops seem fine... :cross: But I am really worried because that is a hefty string.... :nervous:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For Spooky.... :sigh:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: tht the string comes out of somebody!!!!!
Thanks. :hugs: The last time she did this (about 10 years ago :lol3: ), we never saw it come out the other end. She must have chewed it up enough to digest it? :dk: Either way... there is a LOT of fiber in that girl right now!

OMG LAURIE!!!!!!!!!! You are NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what........ Someone just last night ate about ONE FOOT of the NEKO string and I have no idea who it was either :jaw: I was playing downstairs with the cat's and the Neki toy when the dog's started barking upstairs and the doorbell rang. I ran upstairs to get the door. It was my neighbor, she is moving soon. I totally forgot about the Neko toy downstairs UNTIL - Presley came upstairs with the mouse and string and NO WAND :thud:............... I grabbed it from Presley and ran downstairs to see the other three boys laying around the wand. I tied the mouse back on and compared it to the other one I have. There IS about one foot missing :sobbing:..... It is either Walden, Wendall, Perkins or Presley. I can't believe this ( or maybe I can :lol3: you know what I mean :hugs:) happened to both of us at the same time..... So far no puke and poops seem fine... :cross: But I am really worried because that is a hefty string.... :nervous:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For Spooky.... :sigh:
:thud: You have GOT to be kidding me! Seriously, Lauren, this is just TOO MUCH! :flail: :flail: Oh mega :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: there will be no problems there either!!!!!!!!! :cross:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, after the big discussion today of using the NOW calcium hydroxyapatite vs. eggshell (in his thread http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241582/boneless-frankerprey-anyone-does-this), after dinner tonight I'm going to have to say - I will not be using the HCA! :lol3: Eggshells for calcium supplementation it is.

3/14/12 Wednesday Dinner
Duck heart
OK. Flowerbelle was impossible to keep off the counter, and she ate some of her dinner while I was preparing the other's. :lol3:
But I added the HCA - and not even adjusted for their 1.5oz meals. Though apparently my numbers were wrong anyway. :dk:
I had to rinse off Lazlo's and Flowerbelle's and put eggshell on to get them to even eat it.
And everyone else required a LOT of fussing. Ming Loy walked away from the bowl at first! :flail:

So eggshell will be the calcium supplement. I like my little measuring spoons anyway. :lol3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, poop-o-meter is just fine for Tuxedo and for Chumley! No poop from Spooky yet.... :dk: :cross:

Everyone seems fine. Last time this happened, I stopped worrying after day three. This was day 1 after the string incident....

3/14/12 Wednesday Late Night Meal
Fresh lamb.
Last time we had lamb, I had to roll Lazlo's in WL powder individually, and feed them to him not on the plate. Today he hate about half, and then that trick didn't work to get him to finish. I ended up putting TINY little bits of Spooky's Wellness Turkey & Salmon on them, and then he ate it up. I'm pretty sure the problem tonight was that it was a little too warm so smelled a little too strong.
Everyone else ate great. :clap:
Spooky didn't want to try any. But she ate 0.8oz of the Wellness. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:thud: You have GOT to be kidding me! Seriously, Lauren, this is just TOO MUCH! :flail: :flail: Oh mega :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: there will be no problems there either!!!!!!!!! :cross:
I know... I was completely BLOWN off my computer :flail: when I read that someone at your place ate the NEKO string too... :thud: The coincidence is just uncanny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible :heart3: :sun: :heart2:

WELL - I found out WHO it was..... Perkins - I heard puking in the middle of the night. Jumped out of bed and there was Perkins in the doorway vomiting :nervous: He was really scared and I think he needed my comfort. He vomited about four times in the span of about two minutes. YEP - string in the vomit. They were about one inch pieces so that tells me he chewed off about one inch sections at a time and ate them. I went through the vomit - (with gloves on :lol3:) and picked out the string, It measured to about nine inches :shocked: I think that is about right as to how much was missing. I think we are fine over here and he ate a very good breakfast and kept it down. PHEW ............

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: I really hope that Spooky gets the string up too - or if she chewed it into smaller sections, she should be able to pass it out. I did call Dr. Mark this morning to ask him about the string eating. He said that if the cat's don't eat a LONG strand all at once then they usually vomit it up or poop it out. Good idea on the Slippery Elm and Pumpkin :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So eggshell will be the calcium supplement. I like my little measuring spoons anyway. :lol3:

GOOD PLAN!!!!!!!!!!! And using the little measuring spoons will just make your day :flail: Pretty crazy, huh...?!! The thing's that excite us these days :rofl:

I am getting a lesson in temperature preference for the meat with each kitty. I find it the meat gets too close too room temperature it changes the smell of the meat :nod:. I.E. Lamb!!!!! The colder the lamb is the better for the fussies and even Wendall will refuse warm lamb now too. They just prefer the meat "chilled" and I am not going out to buy a "special" meat thermometer to check meat temp! :bigmouth: I tell ya........ this certainly is a scientific experimental experience - this raw feeding of cat's :flail:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hugs: :heart2: :sun:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I added the HCA - and not even adjusted for their 1.5oz meals. Though apparently my numbers were wrong anyway.

Be sure to check my latest posts in the Boneless Frankenprey thread.I know you've decided not to use it anyway but in case you're interested I figured out why you're numbers were wrong.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, and thanks. :nod: Seems 1/2 cap per oz is good for meats for sure. For the 1.5oz meals, it'd have to be 3/4 cap. We'll see how that goes. :lol3:

Definitely easier to use HCA in ground. :)

3/15/12 Thursday AM Meal

Venison.

Well, they didn't like it today. Ming Loy, Billy, and Chumley were fine. No one else was. So I broke open Ziwi Peak venison, and added 0.5oz to their 1.5 oz meals. They ate it! Even Spooky!

BTW, there was NO poop in the boxes this morning. :dk: I've been giving Spooky the slippery elm just like I do Chum (and he poops usually once a day - well - formerly. Now it seems to be once every 2-3 days). But so far, everyone seems fine! :cross: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know... I was completely BLOWN off my computer :flail: when I read that someone at your place ate the NEKO string too... :thud: The coincidence is just uncanny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible :heart3: :sun: :heart2:
WELL - I found out WHO it was..... Perkins - I heard puking in the middle of the night. Jumped out of bed and there was Perkins in the doorway vomiting :nervous: He was really scared and I think he needed my comfort. He vomited about four times in the span of about two minutes. YEP - string in the vomit. They were about one inch pieces so that tells me he chewed off about one inch sections at a time and ate them. I went through the vomit - (with gloves on :lol3:) and picked out the string, It measured to about nine inches :shocked: I think that is about right as to how much was missing. I think we are fine over here and he ate a very good breakfast and kept it down. PHEW ............
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: I really hope that Spooky gets the string up too - or if she chewed it into smaller sections, she should be able to pass it out. I did call Dr. Mark this morning to ask him about the string eating. He said that if the cat's don't eat a LONG strand all at once then they usually vomit it up or poop it out. Good idea on the Slippery Elm and Pumpkin :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Oh poor Perkins! I'm so glad it's out of him though. :nod: No such "luck" with Spooky (or Ming Loy, or anyone). Just hoping it'll pass through whoever it is.... :cross: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3/15/12 Dinner
Gizzards & chicken liver

I gave Tuxie half (0.25 oz) his liver. I gave him his gizzards, then liver, then the rest of his gizzards. He didn't finish the liver, and I didn't do anything to encourage him to finish. But he's kept the meal down. :cross:

Everyone but Laz did great. He needed help, and managed to mostly finish.

Spooky ate an ounce of Wellness chicken.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank goodness for the ZiwiPeak you had on hand yesterday to get your kitties to finish up the Venison!! And it worked :D.... MAN - the thing's we have to go through to get them to finish their meals :nothappy:!!! I get such a "kick" out of reading everyone else's updates :lol3: At least we know WE ARE NOT ALONE :lol2: I am grateful for the few good raw eater's we DO have in our little fur families, Chumley, Billy, Ming Loy, Busgy, Darko, Walden and Wendall. (sorry if I am missing a few - can't keep track anymore :lol3:) If not for them, I just don't know HOW we would manage day after day with the fussies :frusty: I think we would all be committed to the "Raw Feeding Ward at Nut House" if such a place exists :flail:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For that Neko string to appear today from Spooky or whoever :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Have a great raw eating day, sweetie :heart3: :sun: :hobbes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, either Spooky is now eating enough raw that her poop looks like raw poop, or she hasn't pooped yet. As her poops were easy to distinguish as of just a few days ago, I have to think she hasn't pooped yet. :sigh: But she's hungry, eating, not vomiting... same with everyone else. :dk: :vibes: :cross: This is day 2 after the string incident. :slant:

3/15/12 Thursday Late Night Meal

Fresh chicken thigh! Yummy! Mostly an easy breezy meal! :bigthumb:

Spooky ate 1.4oz of ... Wellness Turkey & Salmon.

3/16/12 Friday AM Meal

HT pork and duck.

Lazlo and Tux did not want to eat it. No amount of coaxing did it. I used some of the FD Vital Essentials chicken sprinkled on top. That worked for a few licks. I then tried some of the FD S&C lamb. They liked both NOT rehydrated! So I'm not in love with this, but that's what I fed them. :rolleyes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What?  They didn't like pork????? I thought every cat on the planet liked pork
.  As a matter of fact, I was going to adjust my dinner menu to include a pork tenderloin very soon just so I could try some strips on my guys. 

for some poop action in that string matter.

OH!  and did I tell you I ordered (and rec'd) those cute little spoons?  They're great for dipping into the Prozyme right now, since I'm not using eggshell powder yet!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh they love pork! Their problem is they don't like ground food. I'm still giving them all the AM meal as a ground meal.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Veeeeeery interesting!

3/16/12 Friday Dinner

It was supposed to be turkey heart. I don't have any more of any kind of heart, other than rabbit hearts with a lot of lung. I didn't have enough of that to feed everyone a full meal. But I had the Hare Today 2-lb packages of rabbit, pork, and duck dethawing in the fridge to mix up with supplement and refreeze.

So I gave everyone 50/50 rabbit hearts & lung, and ground rabbit. I figured... it's been a long time since I fed it to them. :dk:

Everyone dove right in! Well - Spooky didn't (she had just ground rabbit). Of course I put the toppers on before I even put it down for Laz, Tux, and Shel. It took some encouragement, but I got them all to finish! :clap: :clap: :clap: Flowerbelle ate the lung first! :eek:

Spooky only ate 0.8oz of Wellness chicken & herring.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW :lol3: Rabbit was a hit. Seems something new was in order for the dinner menu tonight and it worked :woohoo: Great news. AND - It is always a good back-up - the S&C FD :nod: Once in awhile - it is just fine. It is raw after all :lol3: It is great to these options when all else fails :D :clap::clap::clap::clap:

:hmm: Hope that Neko string soon sees the light :cross:..... Not to worry - I am sure all is well. Keep the poop reports coming :nod: :hugs: :rub: :vibes:

Last edited: