SPOILERS-Harry Potter discussion thread

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize Book 7 will be the last and all, but does Harry really look anywhere near ready to confront Voldemort? He looked like a rank amateur next to Dumbledore when they were after the Horcrux. And now he is going to abandon school to chase off after Voldemort???? What's next - Luke Skywalker leaving Dagobah and his training early to go save Han and Leia?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

Well all, I've finished the book as of 9:54 PM yesterday and I have to say....
+1 Great post, Denise!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

I realize Book 7 will be the last and all, but does Harry really look anywhere near ready to confront Voldemort? He looked like a rank amateur next to Dumbledore when they were after the Horcrux. And now he is going to abandon school to chase off after Voldemort???? What's next - Luke Skywalker leaving Dagobah and his training early to go save Han and Leia?
There does seem that about it, doesn't it? If she's going to be at all logical about this, Harry is going to need a LOT of help...and not necessarily from Ron and Hermione either! Although the three of them might equal 1 fully trained wizard, it's doubtful that they would equal a wizard the equal of Dumbledore.

Either that or the stars are going to be in just the right conjunction

Cindy

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DinahCat

Am I the only person who cried when Snape killed Dumbledore??? I mean... I know this sounds dumb, but I BAWLED!!
Like a baby.. then I got upset at myself.. because I know it's just a book. LOL

I'm still a little confused though. At the end, Harry said that he wasnt returning to Hogwarts. Not returning to hogwarts??? WHAT?!?!
I didn't even have a hint to cry - I'm sooooo hoping the last book is going to be better. I can't wait for it.

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bren.1

I think the teachers and Dumbledore know about the animosity that exists between Draco and Harry. They obviously think Harry is overreacting and reading into things. There really is no solid evidence until the end, when it is too late.

I still think Dumbledore had to die for Harry to be able to come into his own. And I don't think it's the last we'll see of him. I look at it kind of like Obi-Wan dying in Star Wars, "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
You've raised a very valid point, in my opinion. In the end of the book, it mentioned that now Harry was really on his own. I really think that Dumbledore's death (as heartbreaking as it was for me.. LOL) was necessary for Harry to blossom. Dumbledore couldnt save harry for the rest of his life...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

There does seem that about it, doesn't it? If she's going to be at all logical about this, Harry is going to need a LOT of help...and not necessarily from Ron and Hermione either! Although the three of them might equal 1 fully trained wizard, it's doubtful that they would equal a wizard the equal of Dumbledore.

Either that or the stars are going to be in just the right conjunction

Cindy
I think it's going to be Snape, who's very adept at the Dark Arts (cf. the "Half-Blood Prince's" notes in the Potions book), who'll help Harry defeat Voldemort - and die doing so. Keep in mind that Snape is a teacher, as was JK Rowling. There are so many hints of collusion between Dumbledore and Snape - could they both have been trying to prevent their charges, Harry and Malfoy, from committing some unforgivable act?

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone else hoping that once book 7 is out and done with that she writes one a few years later to see what happens to everyone in the books. (the ones who survive)??

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dh just finished reading the book and made a good point I don't recall seeing mentioned here. It was that in the Order of the Phoenix, in a brief listing of objects in theBlack house, was a heavy locket that no one could open..wonder if that is the "real" horcrux locket that Harry and Dumbledore went after but did not get?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh! I find that VERY significant! If "R.A.B" IS Sirius Black's brother Regulus, and for whatever reason he didn't get it destroyed ... yes! It fits!

I'll have to go back and re-read the pertinent passages of OOTP to see if there's any more "clues" in there ...

Cindy

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and re: return of HP, I think JKR herself wants to move on and number 7 will be IT! She may write a book some yrs later when some of the young readers are older about where are they now - a reunion at Hogwarts or something. But I think it'll end at Number 7.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, an excellent point to bring up. I was going to reread Order of the Phoenix anyway. I'll have to look out for that.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definately keeping fingers crossed that Snape turns out to be the good guy, always loved his character!

With regard to Regulus Black, wouldn't the house (and house elf) have been left to him if he was still alive? Kreacher had to obey Harry even though he didn't want to, wouldn't he also therefore 'know' if Harry wasn't the rightful heir but Regulus was?

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying not to read any spoilers here, but it's too tempting!

I am only halfway through the book and a bit that just made me laugh was when Harry opened his Christmas present from Kreacher...

"To master, from Kreacher"

All those maggots!!!
Oh and then Harry quivering at Ginny removing a maggot from his hair over Christmas dinner!

Even in the wizarding world Christmas dinner seems to be a big family event / hooo hah!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

I'm definately keeping fingers crossed that Snape turns out to be the good guy, always loved his character!

With regard to Regulus Black, wouldn't the house (and house elf) have been left to him if he was still alive? Kreacher had to obey Harry even though he didn't want to, wouldn't he also therefore 'know' if Harry wasn't the rightful heir but Regulus was?
Regulus is dead, according to the last two books. He was a Death Eater, but turned against Voldemort, and only survived his "betrayal" a few days. Pat's dh has made a very good point - I have to go back and check that out! That would make sense, if the locket is in the house Harry inherited.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DinahCat

Am I the only person who cried when Snape killed Dumbledore??? I mean... I know this sounds dumb, but I BAWLED!!
Like a baby.. then I got upset at myself.. because I know it's just a book. LOL
Oh, yes! AND cried off and on, like others, throughout the whole rest of the book. What killed me was when Fawkes started to sing. I sobbed out loud.

With all the extremely insightful comments here on this thread, I believe I may have to go back and re-read the book. So many things she foreshadowed that I didn't pick up on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

My dh just finished reading the book and made a good point I don't recall seeing mentioned here. It was that in the Order of the Phoenix, in a brief listing of objects in theBlack house, was a heavy locket that no one could open..wonder if that is the "real" horcrux locket that Harry and Dumbledore went after but did not get?
I agree it is the locket Horcurx. I also think the Hufflepuff goblet Horcrux was also in the Black house, but now it's gone. Harry confronts Mundungus in Hogsmeade for stealing items from Grimmauld Place, including a goblet. If the goblet wasn't important, I don't think JKR would have mentioned it specifically. The Hufflepuff goblet was gold, but a simple transfiguration charm could have turned it silver like the one stolen.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just finished off the book right now, my eyes are still sore from crying.
i havent read this whole thread, but i was kind of dissapointed that dumbledore died, and that snape was the half blooded prince, i really thought it would have been voldemonts copy.
Kind of sad for Gilly that harry broke it off, i cant wait untill the movie comes out to see it in a different form.

I hope the next book will be a bit longer and have more details of what actually happens. So its not so dissapointing..