Spam: Input requested

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The idea of having post counts only in the user profile is fine with me. I really don't care too much either way.

I think the spam thread should just stay closed now. As is seen today, chit chat can just as easily occur in the Daily Thread (which I'd still like to see spelled out in the Subject line!) And Instant messengers are free and you can just as easily chat there. You can also create your own chat room and invite whoever you want to chat with you.

Just my humble opinion!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for addressing this situation. I was getting 100's of emails a day from this thread just because I posted there for 2 days. I wasn't writing in just one word, or trying not too. I was having a convo with some people, but yes I do believe that should be put into an instant message. I also wanted to say you are all (moderators) are doing a great job and are great & nice people. Thanks for keeping such a great board in shape!! Hopefully, things can settle down! Good luck!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, I also wanted to add...post counts really shouldn't matter. I don't even think we should have it. I have been on here for 2 months, and I have a little over 300, that doesn't matter to me! I am glad just to be here with some great new friends.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.
One way for a newer member to tell if post counts were achieved mainly through spamming is to look at both the post count and the date the member registered. For example, if a member's registeration date is Sept 2003, and their post count is already something like 3039, then that member has been mostly just spamming.
That's not necessarily true. For example, Sicy has over 4000 posts and only about 200 or less were from spamming. Mine is similar. Some of us just have a lot to talk about and haven't been here that long I guess!
There used to be a way to tell when the thread was still up. There were some who's spam count was in upwards of 30%- to close to 50% of their posts. But I don't care about that so much as it just being difficult for the mods to track and things getting carried away in there.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by caprice
Thank you for addressing this situation. I was getting 100's of emails a day from this thread just because I posted there for 2 days. I wasn't writing in just one word, or trying not too. I was having a convo with some people, but yes I do believe that should be put into an instant message. I also wanted to say you are all (moderators) are doing a great job and are great & nice people. Thanks for keeping such a great board in shape!! Hopefully, things can settle down! Good luck!
Just FYI, you can turn it off so you don't get notified everytime someone posts in a thread you've visited. And you can subscribe only to the threads you want to be notified on. That's what I do.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by mzjazz2u
That's not necessarily true. For example, Sicy has over 4000 posts and only about 200 or less were from spamming. Mine is similar.
Whoops!!!...sorry

MODERATOR: Could you delete my last post please?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lorie, any one of us would be happy to, I'm sure.... but I don't think your post was offensive, and the subsequent discussion would then make no sense. I'm sure it's somthing that would come up again, and Tammie makes a valid point that others of us might not have considered. I think I would make the same assumption, and I'm glad Tammie had a chance to make her comment because of what some of us were thinking, but you were the first to say.... Still want someone to delete it?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have over 4000 posts but I registered in June, not September. I posted 195 times in the spam thread. And not always just to post one word. The rest of the time were legitimate replies. Mostly posting pictures of my cats
I do like to talk alot and I like to reply to threads a lot. I spend about 12 hours a day online, so having 4000 posts in 4 or so months is not very hard for me to do. (just to clear that up
)

After thinking about it more, I dont feel the need for the Spam thread to return. I also dont think a new one should be made. I like the DT's and I think the same thing can be achieved with those threads.

I dont really care about post counts. If you choose to hide them in the profiles that's fine with me. It's quality not quantity.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! I didn't join in September either. I didn't mean to imply that Sicy or myself had. Still, it hasn't been that long! I was just trying to make the point that high numbers in a short time don't mean it's all spam. And when I posted in the spam thread only a small number were one letter posts. Sorry Sicy!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - almost forgot. Caprice, MzJazz2U is right. But once you turn off the e-mail notification and the automatic subscription to threads in which you post, you may have to manually unsubscribe from some threads. I know I had to.

All you have to do is go to the bottom of any page of the thread you want to unsubscribe to and click on unsubscribe. If the only option is "subscribe," then you are no longer subscribed to that thread and won't get the e-mail notification. But just turning off e-mail notification doesn't do the trick - then there's the task of unsubscribing from the threads.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.
I'm just really embarrased right now, so whatever the mods want to do about my post will be fine with me.
There's nothing wrong with your post! Don't be embarrassed!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lorie, it's really not a problem, don't be embarrased! I don't think Sicy or Tammie took offense, and there may be others out there with high post counts that are recent members. Some people spend a lot of time online and, well, who wouldn't love TCS, LOL!

But had I stopped to think about it, I would have made the exact same assumption, so Lorie you are not alone!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a natural assumption to make. I thought that when I was a new member! But look at me now! I just happen to be a REALLY fast typer and a cable broadband connection!
Not to mention I was able to post from work (multitasking) and now that I'm not working I have even more time!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt take offense to anything anyone said here just now
I understand what you are all trying to say perfectly.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I WISH I had a fast line of some kind!!! Gary and I just spent over a week in hotels, and in two of them we had access to WIFI. I downloaded stuff in minutes what would normally take hours, and I am so jealous of all of you who have access to fast lines! (Of course we have them at the office, but I work from home mostly, and there are no broadband services offered out here. I guess we could look into satellite, but I have no idea how much that costs......)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked into sattelite internet a few weeks ago and it's pretty pricey. Not only does it take s specail and bigger sattelite but the charge per month is something like $70/month. I'm sure it will get cheaper as time goes by.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also am fairly new and might have more posts then it seems like I should, some of them are from the spamming thread, but I rarely spammed after I hit 1200 or what ever the magic number was to be able to change your title. I just have alot to talk about and ALOT of pics to post with 12 cats

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Princess Purr
I just have alot to talk about and ALOT of pics to post with 12 cats
Amen Sista!! That's a Lot-0-Cats! 7 days till Hallie and Jake come home and then my post count will go up even more!