Spam: Input requested

tncatfancier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that posts counts could be done away with and it wouldn't bother me a bit. If you look at the date someone registered you can tell if they are an "old timer" or a "newbie". That would elimnate the need to spam just to run up post totals and I don't think it would take away any of the fun on the board.

skykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I put my two cents worth in, if this offends anyone on the site you have my sincere and deepest apologies!

First and foremost I would like to say that I believe this "Thread" should have been listed as a post.

Why? Well now it's a spam thread with the subject basically staying the same then moving on to another and another. Isn't this called spam?

Secondly, I never noticed the SPAM thread as I thought it was just for learning about how to send SPAM in emails. Then someone told me to start spamming and I had no clue what they were talking about, they mentioned the spam thread but I still didn't understand. I admit that I've used it around 10 times more or less I was trying to thank someone but when they didn't reply I left.

And Lastly, I've noticed that most of the people that have responded in THIS THREAD are either Moderators or Guest Moderators. Hardly any people that are just ordinary members even posted, except those rare few!

I thought Anne closed this post a long time ago, if so why is it still here?

I've earned all of my posts legitimately except maybe 10 give or take so if the Spam Thread is removed I really don't care.

Honestly, I mean no offence to any of the Moderators because you're all doing a great job! Please keep up the good work!

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I am guilty of the count down to a specfic number
slapping self on the back of the hand...Bad Blondiecat! that is the only time I have ever been on that thread and have not been back since. I love this site and the spam thread is not that important to me nor is the count of my or anyone else's posts. I am more than happy to have my number in my profile only.

I just love looking at everyone's cats and talking to other people
This site has helped me through the most difficult time in my life when my Dad was sick and also when he died last week. I really think that TCS and all of the friends that I have made on this site have helped me to keep my sainty.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by SkyKitty
Before I put my two cents worth in, if this offends anyone on the site you have my sincere and deepest apologies!

First and foremost I would like to say that I believe this "Thread" should have been listed as a post.

Why? Well now it's a spam thread with the subject basically staying the same then moving on to another and another. Isn't this called spam?

Secondly, I never noticed the SPAM thread as I thought it was just for learning about how to send SPAM in emails. Then someone told me to start spamming and I had no clue what they were talking about, they mentioned the spam thread but I still didn't understand. I admit that I've used it around 10 times more or less I was trying to thank someone but when they didn't reply I left.

And Lastly, I've noticed that most of the people that have responded in THIS THREAD are either Moderators or Guest Moderators. Hardly any people that are just ordinary members even posted, except those rare few!

I thought Anne closed this post a long time ago, if so why is it still here?

I've earned all of my posts legitimately except maybe 10 give or take so if the Spam Thread is removed I really don't care.

Honestly, I mean no offence to any of the Moderators because you're all doing a great job! Please keep up the good work!
I don't think your post is offensive at all. This thread was originally started at the request of the list owner (from what I understand) to get input. I think it's been pretty sucessful and productive. I counted at least 24 people that posted to this that are not mods or guest mods. I don't see at all how it is spam. But regardless, the mods were talking more about the spam that was one letter posts etc. Many of us have done this in the past. It's just become too much for the moderators to keep track of.

The spam thread was closed. This is not it. It was titled something like "To all Those who Wish to Spam."

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd just add... I'm not sure what you mean by the difference between a post and a thread in regards to this input thread. Tammie's right, it was designed to discuss our (collective) thoughts on post counts and "spamming" to increase them, and personally, I'm really pleased that the discussion seems, so far, to be quite productive and has been handled without offense.

I'm the one guilty of diverting the conversation a bit.
But friendly talk, though at times off-topic, has never been an issue on TCS that I'm aware of. Sometimes it just happens - but it's also nice (I think) at times, because it helps keep things friendly and light.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And Lastly, I've noticed that most of the people that have responded in THIS THREAD are either Moderators or Guest Moderators. Hardly any people that are just ordinary members even posted, except those rare few
I don't think your post was offensive either, but I wanted to try to clarify something. I am one of the guest mods, we are just regular members who have been given the opportunity to volunteer to moderate the IMO forum for a set period of time, and have no moderator power outside of that forum. IMO, when guest mods post in the lounge we are regular members just like everyone else.

skykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.

I don't think your post was offensive either, but I wanted to try to clarify something. I am one of the guest mods, we are just regular members who have been given the opportunity to volunteer to moderate the IMO forum for a set period of time, and have no moderator power outside of that forum. IMO, when guest mods post in the lounge we are regular members just like everyone else.
Sorry Lorie I had no clue what a guest mod was until you just clarified for me, I thought it meant like you were in training to be a Moderator.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Skykitty- please understand that moderators were members first, many of us have been here a long time (years). Once we are asked ( by Anne) to be a moderator, we sadly loose our member standing among the other members and at times looked at as the "bad guys".

If I was just a *regular member*, my feelings about spam would be the same. But because I am a moderator then my opinion doesn't appear to count the same as being a member which to me is quite telling, and quite sad.

I am not flaming, I am just explaining how your post came across to me as a mod/member.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just wanted to echo what Sam just said - please don't anyone feel the need to apologize for posting on the spam thread, or racing to get the post count up. There was nothing wrong with it - just harmless fun and you did nothing in violation of TCS rules or guidelines.

Honestly, I never thought it would turn out to be such a major issue. I thought this thread would get 3-4 replies and die out. Please don't anyone feel accused or guilty - you're not!!! We're simply looking into a change or policy following a couple of complaints and new observations - that is all. It does not and should not refelct on anyone's contribution to this community!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone should feel ashamed they posted in the spam thread.. Most of us were there to have fun!
And you know what Sam, we'd love to see your posts in the Daily Threads, or other places on the lounge.

I like the way Hissy explained it. The atmosphere in the spam thread was really friendly and light hearted, but those of us who didn't want to, or didn't have time to wade through all of the one letter or number posts were deprived of the opportunity to get to know you better. Please keep up the chat, I think you'll find more people will participate!

I started a Friday DT, but called it Daily Thread. Maybe tomorrow, it should be called the Saturday Daily Chat Thread.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.

Just want to point out to all of you, that guest mods and regular mods are members too! I think Hissy already touched on this, but we ALL were members first and many of us were members for a long time before we became a mod. I was a member here for over a year before I took on a mod position, and I am still a member.

Please try to not label 'mods, guest mods' etc as something other than just regular members as well. We all have opinions on how this board is run, and just because we are a mod doesn't mean we have any special input. This whole thread was started so we all could discuss it. If it was only a 'mod' discussion, then we would have kept in in our moderators lounge instead of out here in the Cat Lounge.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by mzjazz2u
Just FYI, you can turn it off so you don't get notified everytime someone posts in a thread you've visited. And you can subscribe only to the threads you want to be notified on. That's what I do.
Thanks. I already solved that problem. I didn't unsubscribe from it before because I wanted to see who would post after me, but after getting over 100 emails in about 3 hours...I went to do that and the thread was gone...so...too late for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by dtolle
This whole thread was started so we all could discuss it. If it was only a 'mod' discussion, then we would have kept in in our moderators lounge instead of out here in the Cat Lounge.
Bravo, Daniela! Couldn't have voiced my sentiments better.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sammie5

I have been posting in the Daily Thread pretty much since I have been here....

But thanks anyway..

I also try to repsond to most threads.. but lately havem't had any time!